Standalone hxcpp exe file

Adrian Cowan
Hey,

I've recently been developing a program in haXe for the cpp target and I had just been putting the dlls with the exe to make it run, then I decided to make a custom installer also in haXe cpp, but I tested it only my local machine which has the required dlls in PATH, so when I went to use it on a different computer it failed citing missing files. So here is my questions how do I go about making a truly standalone haXe cpp exe file. I expect I will need to statically link the required libraries in but I'm not sure how to do this. I'm on win7 x64, and I'm using vc++ with the provided buildtool.

Please help,
Adrian (othrayte)

Re: Standalone hxcpp exe file

Not sure if I messed the email earlier....
The best way for an installer is to put the NDLLs in the sane directory as
the .exe file on the installed machine.

Hope this works.

Hugh

> Hey,
>
> I've recently been developing a program in haXe for the cpp target and I
> had
> just been putting the dlls with the exe to make it run, then I decided to
> make a custom installer also in haXe cpp, but I tested it only my local
> machine which has the required dlls in PATH, so when I went to use it on
> different computer it failed citing missing files. So here is my
> questions
> how do I go about making a truly standalone haXe cpp exe file. I expect I
> will need to statically link the required libraries in but I'm not sure
> how
> to do this. I'm on win7 x64, and I'm using vc++ with the provided
> buildtool.
>
> Please help,
> Adrian (othrayte)

Re: Standalone hxcpp exe file

Tony Polinelli
The same directory would be quite sane ;)

On Saturday, June 18, 2011, Gamehaxe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> Not sure if I messed the email earlier....
> The best way for an installer is to put the NDLLs in the sane directory as the .exe file on the installed machine.
>
> Hope this works.
>
> Hugh
>

> Hey,
>
> I've recently been developing a program in haXe for the cpp target and I had
> just been putting the dlls with the exe to make it run, then I decided to
> make a custom installer also in haXe cpp, but I tested it only my local
> machine which has the required dlls in PATH, so when I went to use it on a
> different computer it failed citing missing files. So here is my questions
> how do I go about making a truly standalone haXe cpp exe file. I expect I
> will need to statically link the required libraries in but I'm not sure how
> to do this. I'm on win7 x64, and I'm using vc++ with the provided buildtool.
>
> Please help,
> Adrian (othrayte)

Re: Standalone hxcpp exe file

Adrian Cowan
The idea is the it is a one-click installer from a webpage, the user clicks a button on the page that downloads the customised (slightly) installer and then runs the installer, no other files necessary. So having the dlls in the smae directory isn't possible.

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 11:55 PM, Tony Polinelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
The same directory would be quite sane ;)

On Saturday, June 18, 2011, Gamehaxe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
> Not sure if I messed the email earlier....
> The best way for an installer is to put the NDLLs in the sane directory as the .exe file on the installed machine.
>
> Hope this works.
>
> Hugh
>

> Hey,
>
> I've recently been developing a program in haXe for the cpp target and I had
> just been putting the dlls with the exe to make it run, then I decided to
> make a custom installer also in haXe cpp, but I tested it only my local
> machine which has the required dlls in PATH, so when I went to use it on a
> different computer it failed citing missing files. So here is my questions
> how do I go about making a truly standalone haXe cpp exe file. I expect I
> will need to statically link the required libraries in but I'm not sure how
> to do this. I'm on win7 x64, and I'm using vc++ with the provided buildtool.
>
> Please help,
> Adrian (othrayte)

Re: Standalone hxcpp exe file

go2ghana
Am 18.06.2011 16:07, schrieb Adrian Cowan:
> The idea is the it is a one-click installer from a webpage, the user
> clicks a button on the page that downloads the customised (slightly)
> installer and then runs the installer, no other files necessary. So
> having the dlls in the smae directory isn't possible.
Can't you simply create an self-extracting exe file from your package
bin directory including the required dll there?

Cordially,
Axel

> On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 11:55 PM, Tony Polinelli
>
>     The same directory would be quite sane ;)
>
>     On Saturday, June 18, 2011, Gamehaxe <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>     > Hi,
>     > Not sure if I messed the email earlier....
>     > The best way for an installer is to put the NDLLs in the sane
>     directory as the .exe file on the installed machine.
>     >
>     > Hope this works.
>     >
>     > Hugh
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > Hey,
>     >
>     > I've recently been developing a program in haXe for the cpp
>     target and I had
>     > just been putting the dlls with the exe to make it run, then I
>     decided to
>     > make a custom installer also in haXe cpp, but I tested it only
>     my local
>     > machine which has the required dlls in PATH, so when I went to
>     use it on a
>     > different computer it failed citing missing files. So here is my
>     questions
>     > how do I go about making a truly standalone haXe cpp exe file. I
>     expect I
>     > will need to statically link the required libraries in but I'm
>     not sure how
>     > to do this. I'm on win7 x64, and I'm using vc++ with the
>     provided buildtool.
>     >
>     > Please help,
>     > Adrian (othrayte)
>     >
>     >
>     > --
>     > haXe - an open source web programming language
>     > http://haxe.org
>     >
>
>     --
>     Tony Polinelli
>     http://touchmypixel.com
>
>     --
>     http://haxe.org

Re: Standalone hxcpp exe file

Adrian Cowan
I had considered it but I wanted to streamline it as much as possible and I thought that a self extracting exe would be an extra stage the user would have to go through, but now I wonder if I can find one that will run the setup upon execution. I suppose I'll look into this again. Personally I don't understand why it is so hard to statically compile the dlls in, if I was just using c/c++ that is what I would do, but that might just be my inexperience with hxcpp talking :P.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway,
Adrian

   <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
   > Hi,
   > Not sure if I messed the email earlier....
   > The best way for an installer is to put the NDLLs in the sane
   directory as the .exe file on the installed machine.

   > Hope this works.
   >
   > Hugh
   >
   >
   >
   > Hey,
   >
   > I've recently been developing a program in haXe for the cpp
   target and I had
   > just been putting the dlls with the exe to make it run, then I
   decided to
   > make a custom installer also in haXe cpp, but I tested it only
   my local
   > machine which has the required dlls in PATH, so when I went to
   use it on a
   > different computer it failed citing missing files. So here is my
   questions
   > how do I go about making a truly standalone haXe cpp exe file. I
   expect I
   > will need to statically link the required libraries in but I'm
   not sure how
   > to do this. I'm on win7 x64, and I'm using vc++ with the
   provided buildtool.

   > Please help,
   > Adrian (othrayte)

Re: Standalone hxcpp exe file

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
I've used NullSoft Installer (Windows only) and it seems to work really well. It hasn't been  updated in forever but was really easy to use / learn and I could pretty much make a really great installer that could do anything with a few hours of learning.

And it's TINY! It' adds like 32K or something ... sweet!

   <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
   > Hi,
   > Not sure if I messed the email earlier....
   > The best way for an installer is to put the NDLLs in the sane
   directory as the .exe file on the installed machine.

   > Hope this works.
   >
   > Hugh
   >
   >
   >
   > Hey,
   >
   > I've recently been developing a program in haXe for the cpp
   target and I had
   > just been putting the dlls with the exe to make it run, then I
   decided to
   > make a custom installer also in haXe cpp, but I tested it only
   my local
   > machine which has the required dlls in PATH, so when I went to
   use it on a
   > different computer it failed citing missing files. So here is my
   questions
   > how do I go about making a truly standalone haXe cpp exe file. I
   expect I
   > will need to statically link the required libraries in but I'm
   not sure how
   > to do this. I'm on win7 x64, and I'm using vc++ with the
   provided buildtool.

   > Please help,
   > Adrian (othrayte)

Re: Standalone hxcpp exe file

Adrian Cowan
Yeah I like nullsoft, but it isn't suitable for this situation, due to the cross-platform requirements and special encryption and custom install 'scripts'.

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 6:53 PM, Tarwin Stroh-Spijer <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've used NullSoft Installer (Windows only) and it seems to work really well. It hasn't been  updated in forever but was really easy to use / learn and I could pretty much make a really great installer that could do anything with a few hours of learning.

And it's TINY! It' adds like 32K or something ... sweet!

phone: <a href="tel:%2B61%203%208060%205321" value="+61380605321" target="_blank">+61 3 8060 5321
_______________________

   <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
   > Hi,
   > Not sure if I messed the email earlier....
   > The best way for an installer is to put the NDLLs in the sane
   directory as the .exe file on the installed machine.

   > Hope this works.
   >
   > Hugh
   >
   >
   >
   > Hey,
   >
   > I've recently been developing a program in haXe for the cpp
   target and I had
   > just been putting the dlls with the exe to make it run, then I
   decided to
   > make a custom installer also in haXe cpp, but I tested it only
   my local
   > machine which has the required dlls in PATH, so when I went to
   use it on a
   > different computer it failed citing missing files. So here is my
   questions
   > how do I go about making a truly standalone haXe cpp exe file. I
   expect I
   > will need to statically link the required libraries in but I'm
   not sure how
   > to do this. I'm on win7 x64, and I'm using vc++ with the
   provided buildtool.

   > Please help,
   > Adrian (othrayte)

Re: Standalone hxcpp exe file

Philipp Klose-2
You could create a installer with neko and bundle all ndll neko needs with xcross ;-D

   <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
   > Hi,
   > Not sure if I messed the email earlier....
   > The best way for an installer is to put the NDLLs in the sane
   directory as the .exe file on the installed machine.

   > Hope this works.
   >
   > Hugh
   >
   >
   >
   > Hey,
   >
   > I've recently been developing a program in haXe for the cpp
   target and I had
   > just been putting the dlls with the exe to make it run, then I
   decided to
   > make a custom installer also in haXe cpp, but I tested it only
   my local
   > machine which has the required dlls in PATH, so when I went to
   use it on a
   > different computer it failed citing missing files. So here is my
   questions
   > how do I go about making a truly standalone haXe cpp exe file. I
   expect I
   > will need to statically link the required libraries in but I'm
   not sure how
   > to do this. I'm on win7 x64, and I'm using vc++ with the
   provided buildtool.

   > Please help,
   > Adrian (othrayte)

Re: Standalone hxcpp exe file

Adrian Cowan
As I think I mentioned earlier, I started to port it across to Neko, then I found I would need to port my xxtea implementation accross too, and I was really not looking forward to that.

Anyway I about to have a go at compiling the hxcpp dlls statically and linking them, I'll tell you how I go.

   <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
   > Hi,
   > Not sure if I messed the email earlier....
   > The best way for an installer is to put the NDLLs in the sane
   directory as the .exe file on the installed machine.

   > Hope this works.
   >
   > Hugh
   >
   >
   >
   > Hey,
   >
   > I've recently been developing a program in haXe for the cpp
   target and I had
   > just been putting the dlls with the exe to make it run, then I
   decided to
   > make a custom installer also in haXe cpp, but I tested it only
   my local
   > machine which has the required dlls in PATH, so when I went to
   use it on a
   > different computer it failed citing missing files. So here is my
   questions
   > how do I go about making a truly standalone haXe cpp exe file. I
   expect I
   > will need to statically link the required libraries in but I'm
   not sure how
   > to do this. I'm on win7 x64, and I'm using vc++ with the
   provided buildtool.

   > Please help,
   > Adrian (othrayte)

Re: Standalone hxcpp exe file

I have added a file to the hxcpp svn repository:

src/ExampleMain.cpp

Hopefully this should help you build a stand-alone exe (you will
need the latest hxcpp)

Hugh

> As I think I mentioned earlier, I started to port it across to Neko,
> then I
> found I would need to port my xxtea implementation accross too, and I was
> really not looking forward to that.
>
> Anyway I about to have a go at compiling the hxcpp dlls statically and
> linking them, I'll tell you how I go.
>
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 4:21 AM, Philipp Klose <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> **
>> You could create a installer with neko and bundle all ndll neko needs
>> with
>> xcross ;-D
>>

>> On 18.06.2011 18:39, Adrian Cowan wrote:
>>
>> I had considered it but I wanted to streamline it as much as possible
>> and I
>> thought that a self extracting exe would be an extra stage the user
>> would
>> have to go through, but now I wonder if I can find one that will run the
>> setup upon execution. I suppose I'll look into this again. Personally I
>> don't understand why it is so hard to statically compile the dlls in,
>> if I
>> was just using c/c++ that is what I would do, but that might just be my
>> inexperience with hxcpp talking :P.
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion anyway,
>> Adrian
>>
>> On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 12:53 AM, Axel Huizinga <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Am 18.06.2011 16:07, schrieb Adrian Cowan:
>>>
>>>  The idea is the it is a one-click installer from a webpage, the user
>>>>
>>>  Can't you simply create an self-extracting exe file from your package
>>> bin
>>> directory including the required dll there?
>>>
>>> Cordially,
>>>  Axel

>>> --
>>>  haXe - an open source web programming language

Re: Standalone hxcpp exe file

Adrian Cowan
That's an interesting way of doing it, thanks for going to the trouble of making that. I have two questions, first I had already come up with the command to statically compile the runtime files, but I ended up with .a files, and I thought it would ahve used vc and produced .lib files; is it expected to generate .lib files and mine is using the wrong compiler or are .a files normal? And secondly, is it not possible to just add these three files to the build process for the current program; I'm currently letting haXe generate the build.xml which then relies on BuildCommon.xml, my thought was to add an option to BuildCommon.xml to link these files in statically?

Thanks,
Adrian

Hi,

    <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
  > Hi,
  > Not sure if I messed the email earlier....
  > The best way for an installer is to put the NDLLs in the sane
  directory as the .exe file on the installed machine.

  > Hope this works.
  >
  > Hugh
  >
  >
  >
  > Hey,
  >
  > I've recently been developing a program in haXe for the cpp
  target and I had
  > just been putting the dlls with the exe to make it run, then I
  decided to
  > make a custom installer also in haXe cpp, but I tested it only
  my local
  > machine which has the required dlls in PATH, so when I went to
  use it on a
  > different computer it failed citing missing files. So here is my
  questions
  > how do I go about making a truly standalone haXe cpp exe file. I
  expect I
  > will need to statically link the required libraries in but I'm
  not sure how
  > to do this. I'm on win7 x64, and I'm using vc++ with the
  provided buildtool.

  > Please help,
  > Adrian (othrayte)

Re: Standalone hxcpp exe file

I have changed the ".a" to ".lib" files for msvc.
The theory of the "DIY" was that you may want to use the haxe
libraries within a bigger project (not just a simple mainline) and
add manifests, icons, other source code, other libraries etc etc
so rather than coming up with a command-line syntax to support this,
I thought it was easier to just let you link it up yourself.
Having said that, it does make some sense in the simple case
just to link in these simple libraries on request.

Hugh