Scaleable haxe gameserver

Nathan Hüsken
Hi,

Using nme and making a simple 2 Player game playable over the network.
For this, I need a game server which only delegates the input between
pairs of players and checks if the input is valid.

My idea is to make an hxcpp server that opens a socket und lets clients
connect. It then uses "select" on all connected client sockets.

Now, I want this sever to be scaleable and reliable. What does solution
be able to handle big amounts of clients?
What if the server crashes, how can I react to that (and for Example
restert the server)?

How would you do this?

Thanks!
Nathan

Re: Scaleable haxe gameserver

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
At the moment I think you might want to use Neko for this. Not sure how much people have used / stressed the CPP for socket stuff (but I could be wrong).

I think you have to run some kind of daemon (linux?) on the server that will watch the program to see if it closes / crashes, and then restarts it. This will be a separate thing and there's probably ones you can find lying around (or already on linux distros?)

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 8:19 PM, Nathan Hüsken <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Using nme and making a simple 2 Player game playable over the network.
For this, I need a game server which only delegates the input between
pairs of players and checks if the input is valid.

My idea is to make an hxcpp server that opens a socket und lets clients
connect. It then uses "select" on all connected client sockets.

Now, I want this sever to be scaleable and reliable. What does solution
be able to handle big amounts of clients?
What if the server crashes, how can I react to that (and for Example
restert the server)?

How would you do this?

Thanks!
Nathan

Re: Scaleable haxe gameserver

Cauê W.
Hi Nathan,

I'm afraid we don't have by now a production-quality standalone server, so you might want to use HTTP + nginx/apache + neko for this.
Since you are already having cpp clients, if you need something with push notifications, you might want to try the zero-mq bindings. I never tried, but I've heard good things about zeromq.

Cheers and good luck!
Cauê

2011/10/24 Tarwin Stroh-Spijer <[hidden email]>
At the moment I think you might want to use Neko for this. Not sure how much people have used / stressed the CPP for socket stuff (but I could be wrong).

I think you have to run some kind of daemon (linux?) on the server that will watch the program to see if it closes / crashes, and then restarts it. This will be a separate thing and there's probably ones you can find lying around (or already on linux distros?)

phone: <a href="tel:%2B61%203%208060%205321" value="+61380605321" target="_blank">+61 3 8060 5321
_______________________

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 8:19 PM, Nathan Hüsken <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Using nme and making a simple 2 Player game playable over the network.
For this, I need a game server which only delegates the input between
pairs of players and checks if the input is valid.

My idea is to make an hxcpp server that opens a socket und lets clients
connect. It then uses "select" on all connected client sockets.

Now, I want this sever to be scaleable and reliable. What does solution
be able to handle big amounts of clients?
What if the server crashes, how can I react to that (and for Example
restert the server)?

How would you do this?

Thanks!
Nathan

Re: Scaleable haxe gameserver

blackdog
On 10/24/2011 06:19 AM, Nathan Hüsken wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Using nme and making a simple 2 Player game playable over the network.
> For this, I need a game server which only delegates the input between
> pairs of players and checks if the input is valid.
>
> My idea is to make an hxcpp server that opens a socket und lets clients
> connect. It then uses "select" on all connected client sockets.
>
> Now, I want this sever to be scaleable and reliable. What does solution
> be able to handle big amounts of clients?
> What if the server crashes, how can I react to that (and for Example
> restert the server)?
>
> How would you do this?
>
> Thanks!
> Nathan

Node.js, if you don't mind async it's worth it.
http://github.com/cloudshift/hx-node

--
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~ Leonardo da Vinci