RobotLegs HaXe

Michael Cann
Hi Guys,

Im thinking of porting RobotLegs (DI mini-architecture) to HaXe.

Firstly, has anyone attempted this yet? I would hate to duplicate someone else's effort.

Re: RobotLegs HaXe

Heinz Hölzer-2
Hi Mike,

there is unject which is a di framework
(https://github.com/ciscoheat/unject/wiki/Description-and-Quickstart)
and Stax has some di support (https://github.com/jdegoes/stax), but i
have no experience with both.

I don't think that porting robotlegs 1:1 from as3 to haxe is a good
idea, because haxe
offers more language features (type safe functions, generics, macros,
using) and as a result it is more powerful and type safe than as3.
But you can try to take advantage of these features and make a better
version (crossplattform) ;).

best,

Am 07.04.2011 22:27, schrieb Michael Cann:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Im thinking of porting RobotLegs (DI mini-architecture) to HaXe.
>
> Firstly, has anyone attempted this yet? I would hate to duplicate
> someone else's effort.
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Mike Cann
> http://www.mikecann.co.uk/
> http://www.artificialgames.co.uk/

Re: RobotLegs HaXe

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
Nooooooooooo!

Sorry, I just find that every job I have to work on that someone has made with Robot Legs takes 2x as long to even understand what it's doing.

500 lines of code for a SWF loader just ain't cool ... but that's personal preference :P

2011/4/8 Heinz Hölzer <[hidden email]>
[...]

John A. De Goes

In Stax, you can use annotations to specify default implementations of interfaces. And the syntax for injection is quite simple:

val fileSystem = FileSystem.inject();

where "FileSystem" is the interface of the dependency you wish to inject.

This kind of dependency injection is called "just-in-time" injection. Some people do not like it because you may not discover errors until runtime. In practice, I seldom encounter that problem, and this approach is one of the few approaches that is both type safe and user-friendly.

You can configure dependencies just for a block of code, or for the whole application, and you can specify different dependencies for different modules (files) and classes. Also, configurations are composable, so you can take 2 default configurations and combine them into 1.

Regards,

John A. De Goes
Twitter: @jdegoes
LinkedIn: http://linkedin.com/in/jdegoes

On Apr 7, 2011, at 2:27 PM, Michael Cann wrote:

Hi Guys,

Im thinking of porting RobotLegs (DI mini-architecture) to HaXe.

Firstly, has anyone attempted this yet? I would hate to duplicate someone else's effort.

Re: RobotLegs HaXe

Michael Cann
Ah cool, im fairly new to HaXe, didnt know about those libs, cheers for the links.

Well RobotLegs is actually just a MVCS micro-architecture. The part that actually does the DI is abstracted out and is generally the SwiftSuspenders lib.

So if I was to port RobotLegs I could use any DI framework, it doesnt have to be SwiftSuspenders, I could use unject or Stax.

A lot of people use RL and I think a port of it would make HaXe more accessible to people who come from flash, looking to write some JS (or one of the other HaXe targets) and are looking for a familiar MVC framework with which to work with.

Dont you think?

Mike

On 7 April 2011 22:11, John A. De Goes <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Just to clarify, the port of RobotLegs for haXe uses a totally custom injection engine which, I feel, is a much cleaner implementation than Suspenders.  The RobotLegs like MVC also has a large number of edits to make it cleaner, more compatible cross platform and more easily extendable.  In effect, it really is quite an MVC platform of its own, but with a RobotLegs interface.

This MVC was demonstrated at last year’s Flash on the Beach, in the FDT lounge.  It’s very complete and hasn’t required any changes since then, but it will probably have one or two tweaks before release.

To date, we’ve had immense success using this framework with the JS target, which clearly shows its flexibility.  Working in JS with AS like injection is a dream J  The framework is very lightweight, flexible and malleable.

Atm, I’m planning a Finite State Machine implementation, but I’m trying to do so in a way that can sidestep the use of XML.  IMO, there’s no need for XML in a haXe environment, unless one plans to integrate with existing frameworks / platforms.  In my implementation, external FSM feeds will be possible, but setting up the FSM will be child’s play and easy to read.

Lee

Im thinking of porting RobotLegs (DI mini-architecture) to HaXe.

Firstly, has anyone attempted this yet? I would hate to duplicate someone else's effort.

Re: RobotLegs HaXe

Michael Cann
Hi Lee,

Thanks for the extra info. I would love to hear when you have it ready for the public.

Have you posted this info on the RL list BTW? Or let Joel / Shaun or the rest of the RL staff know? Im sure they would be very happy to hear about the success you have had.

Cheers
Mike

On 11 April 2011 14:19, Lee Sylvester <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I was very disappointed when I worked out this subject does not have to do
with cybernetic organisms :(

RE: RobotLegs HaXe

Hi Michael,

No, I haven’t.  I wanted this framework to be free from RL.  I will attribute where necessary, but I’d like the framework to be “allowed” to deviate where necessary from the RL interface where it makes sense, so it might not be RL for much longer J  The whole events system is different, the whole injection is different, and the idea of actors and context will also change, so it’s more of a RL-esque framework than a RL port.

I’ll keep the community informed, but I’ll be demonstrating this at haXeCon.

Lee

RE: RobotLegs HaXe

;-)

Re: RobotLegs HaXe

Michael Cann
Oh that sounds very interesting Lee, I don't spose you could give a discerning RL user a little sneak peek could you? ;)

Mike

On 11 April 2011 15:20, Lee Sylvester <[hidden email]> wrote:
;-)

RE: RobotLegs HaXe

Lee Sylvester

There’s really not a huge amount to show that isn’t RL like, at the moment.  The biggest change, for the most part, is with the setup of the base display.  When creating a context, one would pass the base display object into the context instantiation.  The context extends an agent class, which accepts type parameters describing the base display type.  For example, a JS context may use :-

class JSContext extends Agent<Dynamic,IEvent>

Dynamic is used as containers in the JS target nodes are typedefs.  You could be more specific if you wished.  A Flash context would likely be :-

class FlashContext extends Agent<MovieClip,IEvent>

Again, you can choose the type you wish to specify for display containers.  The second type parameter is for the events model.  In Cube, you can use any eventing framework you choose.  This is by design, as Cube will facilitate a much more interesting project that I’m not allowed to tell you anything about, yet!   ;-)  By default, Cube uses an extended version of hxEvents.

The Agent class is similar to the Context class in RL.  I changed the naming convention here as the extending class is the context, not its base class.  As the Cube framework marshals actors, Agent seems a valid name choice.  There will be more such changes as time goes on.  I don’t intend Cube to be an RL clone, but simply take its better features.  It’ll have some truly unique ones, too, as time goes on.

One point to note here, for JS users, is that the injection engine (which I’ve named Injector… Catchy, huh?) requires all types to be solid classes.  You can’t inject typedefs.  Thus, JS users will need to create a class wrapper for JS nodes for injection into mediators.  This may change in the near future, but I haven’t decided if it’s even a concern, let alone one that needs to be addressed.

We’re (my team) working on a number of projects which I can’t talk more about at this time, but which will be of great interest to the community.  Cube is the least interesting of these.  Despite that, though, the few people who’ve used it, love it.  I’ll be discussing the main projects at the haXeCon.  If you can make it there, you’ll get to be first to listen in J

Re: RobotLegs HaXe

Michael Cann
Hi Lee,

Sorry for the post resurrection, unfortunately I wasn't at the haxecon so couldnt see your talk on this.

Is there anything online yet that I can take a look at?

Cheers,
Mike

On 11 April 2011 23:41, Lee Sylvester <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hey Michael,

I’ll have a word with the girls tonight and see if it’s time to let it loose in the wild J