Re: Any open source projects need help?

David S-3
Hi, I'm a beginner programmer who would like to improve by helping out an open-source project.  When I say beginner I mean that, while I understand the language concepts, I have trouble deciding where everything should go sometimes.  This is probably because the only code I ever see is mine and no one sees my code but me.  Hopefully contributing to an open source project would help both of those.

Two examples:

http://kongreguide.com/index.php
I haven't worked on this in a year or two, but it did reasonably well (1,500 uniques a day at one point).  The code is actually pretty bad.  PHP with no framework or anything.

http://pastebin.com/m1046892c
One file from a word game I was making last summer in ActionScript 3.  Another problem with only me seeing the code: I never commented.

I've done a lot more, but mostly with small Python scripts or projects that I've started on and get halfway before deciding that the next project I've got in my head will be much better.
Sorry I don't have any haXe code saved.  If you'd like to see some haXe code or aren't sure that I could help I suppose you could give me a task and I'll reply with the code.

So if anyone would be willing to let me help them with a project, I'd be very grateful.
Thanks in advance.

Re: Any open source projects need help?

Juan Delgado
Hi David : )

Did anybody come back to you with stuff to do? There're a couple of
projects that could do with some help, although both are much more
C/C++ oriented.

Talking about ScreenweaverHX and waxe. Not that I'm leading either,
but would be nice for the community if they were pushed a little bit
faster.

The open source projects I'm working on atm are at a very early stage
and are both a one-man only thing right now. I'll let you know when
they might require some help.

I think it's great that you are trying to get better but helping out
in OS projects, good way to go : )

Best,

Juan

On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 4:46 PM, David S <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, I'm a beginner programmer who would like to improve by helping out an
> open-source project.  When I say beginner I mean that, while I understand
> the language concepts, I have trouble deciding where everything should go
> sometimes.  This is probably because the only code I ever see is mine and no
> one sees my code but me.  Hopefully contributing to an open source project
> would help both of those.
>
> Two examples:
>
> http://kongreguide.com/index.php
> I haven't worked on this in a year or two, but it did reasonably well (1,500
> uniques a day at one point).  The code is actually pretty bad.  PHP with no
> framework or anything.
>
> http://pastebin.com/m1046892c
> One file from a word game I was making last summer in ActionScript 3.
> Another problem with only me seeing the code: I never commented.
>
> I've done a lot more, but mostly with small Python scripts or projects that
> I've started on and get halfway before deciding that the next project I've
> got in my head will be much better.
> Sorry I don't have any haXe code saved.  If you'd like to see some haXe code
> or aren't sure that I could help I suppose you could give me a task and I'll
> reply with the code.
>
> So if anyone would be willing to let me help them with a project, I'd be
> very grateful.
> Thanks in advance.

Juan Delgado - Zárate
http://zarate.tv
http://blog.zarate.tv

Re: Any open source projects need help?

Juan Delgado
Classic!

Sorry, that email was meant for David. Too good I wasn't ranting or anything!

--
Juan Delgado - Zárate
http://zarate.tv

Re: Any open source projects need help?