RTMPT in HaXeVideo

Hanehøj, Morten

I just tried out HaXeVideo. So simple and yet so powerful. Excellent job!
I consider extending the server to support RTMPT to tunnel the stream through firewalls.
Did anyone try to do this?
Do you see any show stoppers or other reasons not to?

Cheers,
Morten

Re: RTMPT in HaXeVideo

Thomas-8
> Do you see any show stoppers or other reasons not to?
haxevideo is missing a lot of things more important than rtmpt, such
as reliability.

Re: RTMPT in HaXeVideo

go2ghana
Hanehøj schrieb:

> I just tried out HaXeVideo. So simple and yet so powerful. Excellent job!
> I consider extending the server to support RTMPT to tunnel the stream
> through firewalls.
> Did anyone try to do this?
> Do you see any show stoppers or other reasons not to?
>
> Cheers,
> Morten

Gr8 - am looking forward to checkout your extension.
Cordially,
Axel

Re: RTMPT in HaXeVideo

Thuyen
It's not perfect, but it's a good starting point.  I'm also interested in doing RTMPT and RTMFP as well (hope to reduce the lag).  I believe Red5 supports RTMPT, so it may be easier to study their implementation first.

This is my hacked up version of Haxe Video so far:

www.reelportal.com

Regards,
Thuyen (twin)

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 5:59 AM, Hanehøj, Morten <[hidden email]> wrote:

I just tried out HaXeVideo. So simple and yet so powerful. Excellent job!
I consider extending the server to support RTMPT to tunnel the stream through firewalls.
Did anyone try to do this?
Do you see any show stoppers or other reasons not to?

Cheers,
Morten

Re: RTMPT in HaXeVideo

John Plsek
reelportal looks good at first glance

RTMFP enables direct peer-to-peer communication between multiple Adobe Flash Players and applications built using the Adobe AIR framework for the delivery of rich, live, real-time communication. Not sure what you'd need haxevideo for? You can get a Adobe Stratus key for nothing and make your own p2p flash chat in about an hour - this tutorial uses Flex etc http://www.flashrealtime.com/basics-of-p2p-in-flash/ but the concept is explained enough to code it in haxe

On 21 March 2010 05:38, Thuyen <[hidden email]> wrote:
It's not perfect, but it's a good starting point.  I'm also interested in doing RTMPT and RTMFP as well (hope to reduce the lag).  I believe Red5 supports RTMPT, so it may be easier to study their implementation first.

This is my hacked up version of Haxe Video so far:

www.reelportal.com

Regards,
Thuyen (twin)

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 5:59 AM, Hanehøj, Morten <[hidden email]> wrote:

I just tried out HaXeVideo. So simple and yet so powerful. Excellent job!
I consider extending the server to support RTMPT to tunnel the stream through firewalls.
Did anyone try to do this?
Do you see any show stoppers or other reasons not to?

Cheers,
Morten

Re: RTMPT in HaXeVideo

psawaya
I've been working on some Adobe Stratus code in haXe. Right now it's a
basic video chat between two people, but you may find it helpful.
Check it here:

http://github.com/psawaya/Cam-Mash/tree/master/flash/

Paul

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 11:30 PM, John Plsek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> reelportal looks good at first glance
>
> RTMFP enables direct peer-to-peer communication between multiple Adobe Flash
> Players and applications built using the Adobe AIR framework for the
> delivery of rich, live, real-time communication. Not sure what you'd need
> haxevideo for? You can get a Adobe Stratus key for nothing and make your own
> p2p flash chat in about an hour - this tutorial uses Flex etc
> http://www.flashrealtime.com/basics-of-p2p-in-flash/ but the concept is
> explained enough to code it in haxe
>

> On 21 March 2010 05:38, Thuyen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> It's not perfect, but it's a good starting point.  I'm also interested in
>> doing RTMPT and RTMFP as well (hope to reduce the lag).  I believe Red5
>> supports RTMPT, so it may be easier to study their implementation first.
>>
>> This is my hacked up version of Haxe Video so far:
>>
>> www.reelportal.com
>>
>> Regards,
>> Thuyen (twin)
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 5:59 AM, Hanehøj, Morten
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I just tried out HaXeVideo. So simple and yet so powerful. Excellent job!
>>> I consider extending the server to support RTMPT to tunnel the stream
>>> through firewalls.
>>> Did anyone try to do this?
>>> Do you see any show stoppers or other reasons not to?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Morten

Re: RTMPT in HaXeVideo

John Plsek
Nice work - however one thing that stands out in your code SetQuality(350*1000,0)

that's a bandwidth of 350000 bytes per sec or 2,800,000 bits per second if I understand the adobe docs correctly - not sure how many people are going to have that sort of upstream speed available - of course, I'm in Australia, where the LUCKY FEW can get up to 2,000,000 - the majority are lucky to get 256,000 BITS per second (32,000 byes per second)

The default setting of 16,384 is adequate for most webcam (i.e. not much movement) situations - though you could double that and not cripple too many potential connections

It would be ideal if bandwidth availability could be somehow, at least approximately, measured - of course, you'd have to take into account both the senders upstream limit, and the receivers downstream limit to determine the optimal setting

On 21 March 2010 14:33, Paul Sawaya <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've been working on some Adobe Stratus code in haXe. Right now it's a
basic video chat between two people, but you may find it helpful.
Check it here:

http://github.com/psawaya/Cam-Mash/tree/master/flash/

Paul

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 11:30 PM, John Plsek <[hidden email]> wrote:
> reelportal looks good at first glance
>
> RTMFP enables direct peer-to-peer communication between multiple Adobe Flash
> Players and applications built using the Adobe AIR framework for the
> delivery of rich, live, real-time communication. Not sure what you'd need
> haxevideo for? You can get a Adobe Stratus key for nothing and make your own
> p2p flash chat in about an hour - this tutorial uses Flex etc
> http://www.flashrealtime.com/basics-of-p2p-in-flash/ but the concept is
> explained enough to code it in haxe
>

> On 21 March 2010 05:38, Thuyen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> It's not perfect, but it's a good starting point.  I'm also interested in
>> doing RTMPT and RTMFP as well (hope to reduce the lag).  I believe Red5
>> supports RTMPT, so it may be easier to study their implementation first.
>>
>> This is my hacked up version of Haxe Video so far:
>>
>> www.reelportal.com
>>
>> Regards,
>> Thuyen (twin)
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 5:59 AM, Hanehøj, Morten
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I just tried out HaXeVideo. So simple and yet so powerful. Excellent job!
>>> I consider extending the server to support RTMPT to tunnel the stream
>>> through firewalls.
>>> Did anyone try to do this?
>>> Do you see any show stoppers or other reasons not to?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Morten

Re: RTMPT in HaXeVideo

Thomas a écrit :
>> Do you see any show stoppers or other reasons not to?
> haxevideo is missing a lot of things more important than rtmpt, such
> as reliability.

haXeVideo is an experimental server, it's not been designed or tested
for real-world deployment. But it has all the things one need to
implement a custom RTMP server.

Re: RTMPT in HaXeVideo

tong-2
On Sat, 2010-03-20 at 23:33 -0400, Paul Sawaya wrote:
> I've been working on some Adobe Stratus code in haXe. Right now it's a
> basic video chat between two people, but you may find it helpful.
> Check it here:
>
> http://github.com/psawaya/Cam-Mash/tree/master/flash/
>
> Paul

can you confirm RTMFP just works if one of the peers has direct internet
connection (cause of (missing) NAT) ?
i heard some rumor about ?

/t

--
[)   |   5   |<   †   |2   3   3

Re: RTMPT in HaXeVideo

John Plsek
I know for a fact that RTMFP works when both peers are behind a NAT router

On 21 March 2010 23:19, tong <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, 2010-03-20 at 23:33 -0400, Paul Sawaya wrote:
> I've been working on some Adobe Stratus code in haXe. Right now it's a
> basic video chat between two people, but you may find it helpful.
> Check it here:
>
> http://github.com/psawaya/Cam-Mash/tree/master/flash/
>
> Paul

can you confirm RTMFP just works if one of the peers has direct internet
connection (cause of (missing) NAT) ?
i heard some rumor about ?

/t

--
[)   |   5   |<   †   |2   3   3

Re: RTMPT in HaXeVideo

Armén
At Adobe.com, there is a forum, that is frequented by one of the lead developers of Adobe Stratus. He is able to give detailed information on the nature of RTMFP in general and Adobe Stratus service in particular. I have gotten some really useful knowledge from there.

By the way, for RTMFP to work, both clients need to be connected to Adobe Stratus service for the duration of the peer-2-peer session, which sort of defeats the point of the concept a bit. However it should be noted that Adobe Stratus DOES NOT stream anything. It simply aids both peers at discovering each other.

If one of the peers is behind a firewall that blocks UDP traffic, RTMFP talk between this peer and any other will not work.

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 13:19, tong <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, 2010-03-20 at 23:33 -0400, Paul Sawaya wrote:
> I've been working on some Adobe Stratus code in haXe. Right now it's a
> basic video chat between two people, but you may find it helpful.
> Check it here:
>
> http://github.com/psawaya/Cam-Mash/tree/master/flash/
>
> Paul

can you confirm RTMFP just works if one of the peers has direct internet
connection (cause of (missing) NAT) ?
i heard some rumor about ?

/t

--
[)   |   5   |<   †   |2   3   3

Re: RTMPT in HaXeVideo

Thuyen
Thanks for the feedback.  Anyhow, perhaps just my wishful thinking, but if haxevideo (or maybe a separate implementation) can mimic the Stratus server, then we wouldn't have to depend on Adobe.  More importantly, you'd have the flexibility of modifying the source code to suit your needs.  My goal is for the client to have the capability to switch (manual or auto) between direct and indirect connections (or use both simultaneously), when necessary (e.g. lag).

Without access to source code in haxevideo, I wouldn't be able to create a client that can maintain a connection to the server indefinitely.  And automatically pause the video/audio streams when not connected to another client (saves bandwidth for both the client and the server).

If you visit reelportal.com, join the "California" room, where I have a client "reelBot" running continuously.  I'm using splitcam to feed it a video file (instead of a live webcam).  Another "hack" I made was to allow the viewer to change the video quality of the source on the fly.

Regards,
Thuyen

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 8:30 PM, John Plsek <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks much Paul.  That looks straightforward.