Quantcast

Please test this

Russell Weir
If you have a moment ;) I know everyone's busy.

I have updated as3hx (as3 to Haxe parser) from the haxe svn with a number of changes, so please run it on a few of your AS3 classes. Could use some feedback on things listed in the CHANGES file.

as3hx.zip (81K) Download Attachment

Re: Please test this

sledorze
Who has some AS3 code here? (joke) :)

Re: Please test this

Russell Weir
True enough! Had to stretch my mind a bit to think in as3 again. It just felt... dirty and unstructured ;) Couldn't take it any more while doing samples, so I thought I'd distribute the as3 thinking a bit so I could clear my mind and focus on nice, structured, comfy haxe again.

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 4:55 PM, sledorze <[hidden email]> wrote:
Who has some AS3 code here? (joke) :)

Re: Please test this

Franco Ponticelli
I've seen the changes made by Russell to the tool and they are simply amazing.
I really recommend anyone that have ever wondered if some beloved AS3 library could be ported to haxe with minimal effort to give it a try.

Franco

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 12:02 AM, Russell Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:
True enough! Had to stretch my mind a bit to think in as3 again. It just felt... dirty and unstructured ;) Couldn't take it any more while doing samples, so I thought I'd distribute the as3 thinking a bit so I could clear my mind and focus on nice, structured, comfy haxe again.

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 4:55 PM, sledorze <[hidden email]> wrote:
Who has some AS3 code here? (joke) :)

Re: Please test this

Baluta Cristian
i'll try over the weekend, i have a lib which was almost ported but got stuck at the end, maybe this will show it who's the boss.

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 3:39 PM, Franco Ponticelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've seen the changes made by Russell to the tool and they are simply amazing.
I really recommend anyone that have ever wondered if some beloved AS3 library could be ported to haxe with minimal effort to give it a try.

Franco

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 12:02 AM, Russell Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:
True enough! Had to stretch my mind a bit to think in as3 again. It just felt... dirty and unstructured ;) Couldn't take it any more while doing samples, so I thought I'd distribute the as3 thinking a bit so I could clear my mind and focus on nice, structured, comfy haxe again.

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 4:55 PM, sledorze <[hidden email]> wrote:
Who has some AS3 code here? (joke) :)

Băluță Cristian
http://ralcr.com
http://imagin.ro

Re: Please test this

Michael Cann
Sweet! Ill try one of my games this weekend :)

On 14 October 2011 15:44, Baluta Cristian <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Mike Cann
http://www.mikecann.co.uk/

Re: Please test this

Russell Weir
If you do decide to port something, do email me for the latest version, as I am evolving quickly as I port. In fact, I just ported http://code.google.com/p/as3flickrlib/ in less than 3 seconds, and only one file needs attention (flash xml access that needs translation to haxe.xml.Fast)

I also setup a repository for libary porting. If you are familiar with BSD or Linux ports trees, that is essentially the idea, where anyone can add a port, work on each other's ports, and hopefully in the end there is some good useful code. It's not designed as a replacement for haxelib, in fact I hope that haxeports gets more code into haxelib.

So why a ports tree? It can be argued that we can just add .swc files to our flash projects. Ok, yes, you can, but how many swc files do you want to in your project, especially when all you need from each one is some small piece that would probably compile to 5k, not the 200k of the swc.

Ok, ok, maybe I didn't convince you on that one. Maybe you're perfectly happy with your load times. Ah. But can your flash app run on NME? Can it compile to neko, cpp, maybe java in the future? Where's java's swc loader? Umm... I  dunno, maybe here... no, sure I saw one. Damn, where is it again?

There's lots of great as3 libraries out there that can be directly ported and work completely cross platform now.

And that's what I call cool.

When Neil and I ported Sandy 3D it was a long, tedious process. I ported as3isolib in an evening, before I made all these changes to as3hx... now it would be an hour work tops, and if all goes well, your port could be fully done in three seconds.

I encourage anyone that's interested in porting libs on haxeports to email me... I'll get you svn access asap.

Cheers, and happy porting

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 9:07 AM, Michael Cann <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Cauê W.
Russell, that's so great! :)

I wonder how Away3d would go with that...

2011/10/14 Russell Weir <[hidden email]>
[...]

Here is a current version, though I have not addressed the Vector issue yet.
Please send me small test .as files that I can put in the test directory illustrating any failure.

Thanks

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 11:50 AM, Russell Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

as3hx_source.zip (38K) Download Attachment

Re: Please test this

hosey hosey
I had some time so I ran on a few projects:, here are some issues I found:

1)var v:Vector.<DisplayObject>=new <DisplayObject>[]

2)Comments before bracket like
if (targetSpace == this) // optimization
            {

 3)   Comments before meta data?
     /** Dispatched when a key on the keyboard is pressed. */
    [Event(name="keyDown", type="starling.events.KeyboardEvent")]

4) Un-expected else below

   if (true)
    trace
    else
    trace

5) Getter setters like
public function get width (){}

Cheers
Hoseyhosey

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 12:42 PM, Russell Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

There is now a sparkly, shiny new version up on the haxe repo.

svn checkout http://haxe.googlecode.com/svn/other/as3hx

There's tons of changes there (refer to CHANGES and README (which actually means "read me")).

It still will not do any e4x, so it will choke on that. Just comment out functions in the original source, and resume.

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 1:14 AM, Baluta Cristian <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Mar

Re: Please test this

Mar
Tried to use this to make an attempt to update Haxepunk (flashpunk port) to 1.6 and while most of it looks good there are some errors.
https://github.com/Draknek/FlashPunk

1) Running it as >as3hx.n causes the arguments to be null. I was able to get it working by running it as >neko as3hx.

2)The Text.as file causes an exception "unexpected else at line 98"

3)
 for each (var type:String in types)
 {
     if ((e = collide(type, x, y))) return e;
 }

will give

 for(var type : String in types) {
     if((e = collide(type, x, y))) return e;
 }

which will not work in Haxe.

4) Things like

import flash.utils.GetQualifiedClassName;
import flash.utils.GetDefinitionByName;

Will obviously not work but I guess removing those may not be as important since it is quite easy to do manually.

5)
import flash.utils.*;

Doesn't work. I believe I read somewhere that there had been talks that this may work in the future though implemented though?

6)
public function layerFirst(layer:int):Entity
 {
       if (!_updateFirst) return null;
       return _renderFirst[layer] as Entity;
 }

gives this:

public function layerFirst(layer : Int) : Entity {
     if(!_updateFirst) return null;
    return try cast(_renderFirst[layer], Entity) catch(e) null;
 }

Which doeasn't work since catch(e) should be catch(e:Error) (Givers missing Type declaratio nwhen trying to compile.

There may be some more things but I haven't had time to check through it all.