Organizing our (not so) little community

Re: Organizing our (not so) little community

tong-2
On Tue, 2009-10-20 at 00:09 +0200, Benjamin Dasnois wrote:

> In two days, it will be 4 years since haXe development started and in
> a little less than a month, that it's been first released to the
> public. And how many "community meeting on the web" did we have? One.
> ONE. Incredible! Four years, so many people dedicated to haXe, and we
> only had ONE meeting online. Why? Because there's no one to organize
> things that are community-oriented.
>
> If we want community-driven things, we need community-oriented
> activity. And we need someone to organize it.

hi,

if there is interest i could write a jabber based chat room for the haxe
website. we could use anonymous logins (temporary accounts) .. no need
to have a jabber account.

----

further a bot, hanging around in the room, which we can feed with
links/info+stuff, could be added.

for example:
save a value to a tag by sending a message to the bot (or directly in
the room)
#!learn:SPOD:http://haxe.org/doc/neko/spod
#!learn:SPOD:http://haxe.org/api/neko/db/object

now, if a user types:
#!SPOD

the bot answers:
http://haxe.org/doc/neko/spod
http://haxe.org/api/neko/db/object

---

for registered jabber users we could create a subscription model which
would allow us to create community meetings based on interest.

for example:

i am interested in everything related to, lets say, SPOD.
.. (after subscribing to the bots presence) i send a message like:
#!interest:SPOD

anytime, another user wants to discuss something about SPOD, by sending
a message like:
user[11:23]: #!discuss:SPOD:1600
.. translates to: i want to discuss SPOD at 16:00.

than the bot sends informational messages to all interested users like:
bot[11:23]: discussion about SPOD requested. start time: 16:00 CET
bot[15:30]: discussion about SPOD starts in 30 mins
bot[16:00]: discussion about SPOD started

additional the bot could send mail to the ml.

-----

other benefits:
* automated logging of community meetings.
* automated highlighting of discussion leader messages.

mind: no hosting required, we could use one of the public jabber
servers. just the bot would need a neko powered home.
the room would be accessible from the website and from any jabber
client.

<-> just a quick idea which probably could be improved.
what do you think ?

/tong

--
[)   |   5   |<   †   |2   3   3

Re: Organizing our (not so) little community

Laurent Kappler
tong a écrit :

> On Tue, 2009-10-20 at 00:09 +0200, Benjamin Dasnois wrote:
>
>> In two days, it will be 4 years since haXe development started and in
>> a little less than a month, that it's been first released to the
>> public. And how many "community meeting on the web" did we have? One.
>> ONE. Incredible! Four years, so many people dedicated to haXe, and we
>> only had ONE meeting online. Why? Because there's no one to organize
>> things that are community-oriented.
>>
>> If we want community-driven things, we need community-oriented
>> activity. And we need someone to organize it.
>>

> hi,
>
> if there is interest i could write a jabber based chat room for the haxe
> website. we could use anonymous logins (temporary accounts) .. no need
> to have a jabber account.
>
> ----
>
> further a bot, hanging around in the room, which we can feed with
> links/info+stuff, could be added.
>
> for example:
> save a value to a tag by sending a message to the bot (or directly in
> the room)
> #!learn:SPOD:http://haxe.org/doc/neko/spod
> #!learn:SPOD:http://haxe.org/api/neko/db/object
>
> now, if a user types:
> #!SPOD
>
> the bot answers:
> http://haxe.org/doc/neko/spod
> http://haxe.org/api/neko/db/object
>
> ---
>
> for registered jabber users we could create a subscription model which
> would allow us to create community meetings based on interest.
>
> for example:
>
> i am interested in everything related to, lets say, SPOD.
> .. (after subscribing to the bots presence) i send a message like:
> #!interest:SPOD
>
> anytime, another user wants to discuss something about SPOD, by sending
> a message like:
> user[11:23]: #!discuss:SPOD:1600
> .. translates to: i want to discuss SPOD at 16:00.
>
> than the bot sends informational messages to all interested users like:
> bot[11:23]: discussion about SPOD requested. start time: 16:00 CET
> bot[15:30]: discussion about SPOD starts in 30 mins
> bot[16:00]: discussion about SPOD started
>
> additional the bot could send mail to the ml.
>
> -----
>
> other benefits:
> * automated logging of community meetings.
> * automated highlighting of discussion leader messages.
>
> mind: no hosting required, we could use one of the public jabber
> servers. just the bot would need a neko powered home.
> the room would be accessible from the website and from any jabber
> client.
>
> <-> just a quick idea which probably could be improved.
> what do you think ?
>
> /tong

I think it's a great idea.
If I can contribute, I'll be there.

Maybe this could replace the mailing list?
As a instant messaging room, if it also keep trace of discussions.

Re: Organizing our (not so) little community

Benjamin Dasnois
There's already an IRC channel and there are plenty of irc clients
around there. IRC is better than Jabber for chat-rooms IMHO.

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 3:46 PM, laurent <[hidden email]> wrote:

> tong a écrit :
>>
>> On Tue, 2009-10-20 at 00:09 +0200, Benjamin Dasnois wrote:
>>

>>> In two days, it will be 4 years since haXe development started and in
>>> a little less than a month, that it's been first released to the
>>> public. And how many "community meeting on the web" did we have? One.
>>> ONE. Incredible! Four years, so many people dedicated to haXe, and we
>>> only had ONE meeting online. Why? Because there's no one to organize
>>> things that are community-oriented.
>>>
>>> If we want community-driven things, we need community-oriented
>>> activity. And we need someone to organize it.
>>>

>> hi,
>>
>> if there is interest i could write a jabber based chat room for the haxe
>> website. we could use anonymous logins (temporary accounts) .. no need
>> to have a jabber account.
>>
>> ----
>>
>> further a bot, hanging around in the room, which we can feed with
>> links/info+stuff, could be added.
>>
>> for example:
>> save a value to a tag by sending a message to the bot (or directly in
>> the room)
>> #!learn:SPOD:http://haxe.org/doc/neko/spod
>> #!learn:SPOD:http://haxe.org/api/neko/db/object
>>
>> now, if a user types:
>> #!SPOD
>>
>> the bot answers:
>> http://haxe.org/doc/neko/spod
>> http://haxe.org/api/neko/db/object
>>
>> ---
>>
>> for registered jabber users we could create a subscription model which
>> would allow us to create community meetings based on interest.
>>
>> for example:
>>
>> i am interested in everything related to, lets say, SPOD.
>> .. (after subscribing to the bots presence) i send a message like:
>> #!interest:SPOD
>>
>> anytime, another user wants to discuss something about SPOD, by sending
>> a message like:
>> user[11:23]: #!discuss:SPOD:1600
>> .. translates to: i want to discuss SPOD at 16:00.
>>
>> than the bot sends informational messages to all interested users like:
>> bot[11:23]: discussion about SPOD requested. start time: 16:00 CET
>> bot[15:30]: discussion about SPOD starts in 30 mins
>> bot[16:00]: discussion about SPOD started
>>
>> additional the bot could send mail to the ml.
>>
>> -----
>>
>> other benefits:
>> * automated logging of community meetings.
>> * automated highlighting of discussion leader messages.
>>
>> mind: no hosting required, we could use one of the public jabber
>> servers. just the bot would need a neko powered home.
>> the room would be accessible from the website and from any jabber
>> client.
>>
>> <-> just a quick idea which probably could be improved.
>> what do you think ?
>>
>> /tong
>>

> I think it's a great idea.
> If I can contribute, I'll be there.
>
> Maybe this could replace the mailing list?
> As a instant messaging room, if it also keep trace of discussions.

DASNOIS Benjamin
http://www.benjamindasnois.com

On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 14:54 +0100, Nathan wrote:
> why write when you can simply install openfire and stick on sparkweb?
> it's a 10 minute job :p
>
> regards!

* we would need to host a jabber server
* the tool would be written in pure haxe based on hxmpp
http://hxmpp.disktree.net/
* wouldn't replace the bot functionality
* front end could be js powered, not flash.
* i don't like sparkweb (i don't like flex)
* fun to code

/t

--
[)   |   5   |<   †   |2   3   3

On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 16:03 +0200, Benjamin Dasnois wrote:
> There's already an IRC channel and there are plenty of irc clients
> around there. IRC is better than Jabber for chat-rooms IMHO.

why ?

--
[)   |   5   |<   †   |2   3   3

Re: Organizing our (not so) little community

Benjamin Dasnois
Because it's designed for that, has been around for years & years,
does it well, is light, can be used with a lot of clients. But I
understand your "fun to code" argument :)

On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 16:32 +0200, Benjamin Dasnois wrote:
> Because it's designed for that,

jabber too (but not limited to).

>  has been around for years & years,

jabber too. 10+

> does it well, is light, can be used with a lot of clients.

the IM client i am using is able to speak both, IRC and XMPP.
+ there are a lot of jabber clients available:
http://xmpp.org/software/clients.shtml

---

IRC isn't extensible at all.
XMPP is.

just an example:
an experimental application i've built uses jabber to negotiate video
phone calls using haxevideo for RTMP streaming.
if the (jabber) contact i am calling does not have implemented the
jingle-RTMP extension [1], which i can discover using ServiceDiscovery
[2], it gets sent a link to a flash website where it can login and
accept the call. this turns every jabber client into something
videophone call compatible.
.. such things are impossible with IRC.

> But I
> understand your "fun to code" argument :)

:)

maybe i'll create the chatroom/bot app for testing anyhow ..
and maybe it gets accepted by the community when its more clear how
killer this is ;)
in the meantime you can checkout http://roar.disktree.net/ where i am
using such a XMPP based bot<->website realtime architecture.

/t

[1] http://xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/jingle-rtmp.html
[2] http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0030.html

--
[)   |   5   |<   †   |2   3   3

Re: Organizing our (not so) little community

tong-2
On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 16:32 +0200, Benjamin Dasnois wrote:
> Because it's designed for that, has been around for years & years,
> does it well, is light, can be used with a lot of clients. But I
> understand your "fun to code" argument :)

btw: we could setup a gateway from jabber<->irc to unite both
protocols/rooms.
(the main reason why jabber got created at first)
but i never tried this so far.

/t

--
[)   |   5   |<   †   |2   3   3

RE: Organizing our (not so) little community

Elliott Carlson
As mentioned previously, Openfire is a great solution, it is XMPP/Jabber based and with the gateways is able to connect to IRC (among other things)... if the problem is Sparkweb one could still write a Jabber interface to the Openfire server...

I understand writing things from scratch, it's fun - but at the same time, if a great system exists, why ignore it?

 - E

On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 16:32 +0200, Benjamin Dasnois wrote:
> Because it's designed for that, has been around for years & years,
> does it well, is light, can be used with a lot of clients. But I
> understand your "fun to code" argument :)

btw: we could setup a gateway from jabber<->irc to unite both
protocols/rooms.
(the main reason why jabber got created at first)
but i never tried this so far.

/t

--
[)   |   5   |<   †   |2   3   3

Re: Organizing our (not so) little community

Benjamin Dasnois
Yes I know Jabber is extensible, this is great but I'm not sure this
is what we need. But anyway, why not... My answer was in no way
intended to make authority :)

To me Jabber is more p2p oriented than chat-room ortiented, but I may be wrong.

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 6:07 PM, Elliott Carlson
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> As mentioned previously, Openfire is a great solution, it is XMPP/Jabber based and with the gateways is able to connect to IRC (among other things)... if the problem is Sparkweb one could still write a Jabber interface to the Openfire server...
>
> I understand writing things from scratch, it's fun - but at the same time, if a great system exists, why ignore it?
>
>  - E

Robert Sköld
Maybe you could write that bot for the IRC channel that's already
(somewhat) active?

I think it's cool with Jabber too though, but since it already exists,
kind of like this mailing list, it would be nice to improve what we
already have.

On Oct 22, 2009, at 19:35 , Benjamin Dasnois wrote:

> Yes I know Jabber is extensible, this is great but I'm not sure this
> is what we need. But anyway, why not... My answer was in no way
> intended to make authority :)
>
> To me Jabber is more p2p oriented than chat-room ortiented, but I
> may be wrong.
>
> On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 6:07 PM, Elliott Carlson
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> As mentioned previously, Openfire is a great solution, it is XMPP/
>> Jabber based and with the gateways is able to connect to IRC (among
>> other things)... if the problem is Sparkweb one could still write a
>> Jabber interface to the Openfire server...
>>
>> I understand writing things from scratch, it's fun - but at the
>> same time, if a great system exists, why ignore it?
>>
>>  - E

back2dos
Elliott Carlson wrote:
> As mentioned previously, Openfire is a great solution, it is XMPP/Jabber based and with the gateways is able to connect to IRC (among other things)... if the problem is Sparkweb one could still write a Jabber interface to the Openfire server...
>
> I understand writing things from scratch, it's fun - but at the same time, if a great system exists, why ignore it?
>
>  - E
because you can ... :-P

On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 19:35 +0200, Benjamin Dasnois wrote:
> Yes I know Jabber is extensible, this is great but I'm not sure this
> is what we need.

hey! wasn't it you frustrated about the 'just ONE community meeting in 4
years' ?

> But anyway, why not... My answer was in no way
> intended to make authority :)
>
> To me Jabber is more p2p oriented than chat-room ortiented, but I may be wrong.

Its both.

Multiuser chat is defined as protocol extension:
http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0045.html

The p2p stuff you mean is just the core IM spec as defined in
http://xmpp.org/rfcs/rfc3921.html
(whereas you are always connected to your jabber server, not directly to
another node )

/t