Organizing our (not so) little community

Re: Organizing our (not so) little community

Thomas-8
You can read and speak english, so why complicate things?

Pareto law in action!

Re: Organizing our (not so) little community

Lee Sylvester
I agree with the other guy ;-)  If we have someone who speaks Hebrew and
is willing to translate to that language for us (even if just the main
API and overview files), then we'll be able to entice Hebrew speaking
developers into the haXe community. The more translations we can get the
better, though we'll need to keep an eye on who is around to update
these languages as haXe grows...

Btw, Thomas... Shame on you ;-) Just because someone speaks English
doesn't mean haXe shouldn't be accessible to that persons countrymen
(and I mean that in the lightest, most non-offensive manner :-P ).

Lee

Thomas wrote:
> You can read and speak english, so why complicate things?
>
> Pareto law in action!

Re: Organizing our (not so) little community

Oh, and reading and writing a language doesn't include speaking. Franco
claims not to be able to speak a word of English ;-)  Hehe

Lee

Thomas wrote:
> You can read and speak english, so why complicate things?
>
> Pareto law in action!

Re: Organizing our (not so) little community

Martijn Loots
On Wed, 21 Oct 2009, Thomas wrote:

> You can read and speak english, so why complicate things?
>
> Pareto law in action!

Probably most future developers will be Chinese or Indian.

Let's get rid of the English while we still can then... ;-)

--
-Martijn    @..@    ( Martijn Loots       -  Hengelo  [NL] )
-          (`--')   ( martijn<@>cosix.com -  www.cosix.com )

Re: Organizing our (not so) little community

Lee Sylvester
Would anyone be interested in writing a translation in Pig Latin? That
one could be really useful ;-)

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 6:20 PM, Lee McColl Sylvester <[hidden email]> wrote:
Oh, and reading and writing a language doesn't include speaking. Franco claims not to be able to speak a word of English ;-)  Hehe

Well, I am not exactly that pathetic ... let's say that because I never "speak" to anyone in english I don't feel comfortable with that. On the contrary I speak portuguese very fluently but writing is an entire different history ... probably I should stick to plain and simple italian ;)

Franco

Re: Organizing our (not so) little community

Thomas-8
haxe is already struggling to maintain docs for a few languages, so
adding more will only worsen things. And we know what'll happen, he'll
work a few weeks on it, and then it will get unmaintained.

Today, I don't know any good developer who can't understand english /
learn form english resources. Actually OReilly has even stopped it's
french branch, because it was not selling well at all, and french
developers prefer english books, and you know how good french guys are
known for speaking english.

Yeah, by speaking I actually meant 'writing' to a mailing-list.

Re: Organizing our (not so) little community

Heh! Pathetic was never a word I would have suggested. I can only speak
one language... English! I can count to twenty in German and French,
though ;-)  Part of having Auditory Processing Disorder means I never
will likely speak anything but English, while the other part says I
should be able to write other languages perfectly well ;-)

Lee

Franco Ponticelli wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 6:20 PM, Lee McColl Sylvester
>
>     Oh, and reading and writing a language doesn't include speaking.
>     Franco claims not to be able to speak a word of English ;-)  Hehe
>

> Well, I am not exactly that pathetic ... let's say that because I
> never "speak" to anyone in english I don't feel comfortable with that.
> On the contrary I speak portuguese very fluently but writing is an
> entire different history ... probably I should stick to plain and
> simple italian ;)
>
> Franco

Re: Organizing our (not so) little community

I suppose it helps that most languages have an English based syntax...

Thomas wrote:

> haxe is already struggling to maintain docs for a few languages, so
> adding more will only worsen things. And we know what'll happen, he'll
> work a few weeks on it, and then it will get unmaintained.
>
> Today, I don't know any good developer who can't understand english /
> learn form english resources. Actually OReilly has even stopped it's
> french branch, because it was not selling well at all, and french
> developers prefer english books, and you know how good french guys are
> known for speaking english.
>
> Yeah, by speaking I actually meant 'writing' to a mailing-list.

Re: Organizing our (not so) little community

Nemea Lion
I also vote to keep the docs in english only too. It's easier to mantain
and 99% of developers understand it. As Lee says, because most
programing languages are based on it. (Even lolcode)

Carlos

2009/10/21 Lee McColl Sylvester <[hidden email]>:

> Heh! Pathetic was never a word I would have suggested. I can only speak one
> language... English! I can count to twenty in German and French, though ;-)
>  Part of having Auditory Processing Disorder means I never will likely speak
> anything but English, while the other part says I should be able to write
> other languages perfectly well ;-)
>
> Lee
>

> Franco Ponticelli wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 6:20 PM, Lee McColl Sylvester
>>
>>    Oh, and reading and writing a language doesn't include speaking.
>>    Franco claims not to be able to speak a word of English ;-)  Hehe
>>

>> Well, I am not exactly that pathetic ... let's say that because I never
>> "speak" to anyone in english I don't feel comfortable with that. On the
>> contrary I speak portuguese very fluently but writing is an entire different
>> history ... probably I should stick to plain and simple italian ;)
>>
>> Franco

Re: Organizing our (not so) little community

Roberto Ferrer
Hi people, this is my first message to list.
I discovered haxe one year ago and now I am adopting it for my daily
development in Flash and JS.
The main problem that I have encountered is the missing documentation about
many libraries published under haxelib, which makes a little difficult using
haxe in some projects.
I know that write documentation and tutorials can be a bit tedious, but it's
very necessary to increment the number of haxe users.

I have started to contribute to the project, translating some pages of
haxe.org to spanish, but the comunity needs documentation more detailid about
the haxe API than the published in haxe.org.
It would be great a Haxe Wiki with lot of tutorials, examples and the full API
documentation, so everyone could contribute.

Please, forgive me english, I am learning too.
Regards.

Re: Organizing our (not so) little community

Thomas-8
Anyway I don't see where he read that more languages should be added,
in fact people even proposed to default the haxe website to english
and not to the locale of the browser.

Re: Organizing our (not so) little community

Roberto Ferrer
Right, I speake spanish, but keep the documentation in english, there is no
problem with that.
We just need more docs, especially about some haxe libs.

Re: Organizing our (not so) little community

John A. De Goes

These are definitely on the list.

Regards,

John

On Oct 21, 2009, at 10:53 AM, Franco Ponticelli wrote:

I may be extending (or sponsoring the extending) of haxelib. So anyone interested in additional haxelib functionality should contact me.

Very glad to here that: password recovery, standardized documentation and associate libs to specific haxe versions would make a big difference with a reasonable effort in my opinion.

Franco

Re: Organizing our (not so) little community

John A. De Goes

Tags and a new "derives from" field will be supported in the CL
interface, but I don't (yet) have plans to do much on the GUI side.

Regards,

John

On Oct 21, 2009, at 10:59 AM, laurent wrote:

> Maybe some tags/catgories or a search that is more flexible,
> description search...
> Then a bit more complex: haxelib should enable us to make branches
> to libs and/or commit files for approval/deny by the owner. (??)
>
> Then what have been said before about the Haxetypes sounds like
> candy mountain :]
>
> Laurent
>
> John A. De Goes a écrit :
>>
>> I may be extending (or sponsoring the extending) of haxelib. So
>> anyone interested in additional haxelib functionality should
>> contact me.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> John

>>> So I think we would need some kind of Github platform for our lib.haxe.org
>>>
>>> I would like to know more the working background of haxelib to
>>> forexemple copy it on a server to make tests or at least knowing
>>> how to plug it on a website, and be able to extend it's
>>> possibilities.
>>>
>>> I have time in juanuary to involve in the community. We could make
>>> a whishlist of fonctionnality we NEED on our Haxe website. It must
>>> be a strong tool, somehow :)
>>>
>>> Good morning!
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-oEA1sK374
>>>
>>> Laurent

Re: Organizing our (not so) little community

Michiel Crefcoeur
What I would like is an attribute that hides the library from the list and search results and the list on haxe.org by default.
Optionally haxelib could show hidden libraries using an argument.
The purpose of this option would be to separate libraries that were purely meant as shared dependencies for other libraries from libraries that were meant to be used by others in their projects.

This way I could divide my code up in as many libraries as I need without worrying about polluting haxelib with all kinds of small libraries that serve no purpose on their own.

Take for instance the following situation:
I have three libraries: ASP, WSH and HTA.
These all are dependent of some other libraries that should be hidden by default since they do nothing on their own.

Some sorting and grouping options would be nice too!
Order by date, user, tag...

2009/10/21 John A. De Goes <[hidden email]>

These are definitely on the list.

Regards,

John

On Oct 21, 2009, at 10:53 AM, Franco Ponticelli wrote:

I may be extending (or sponsoring the extending) of haxelib. So anyone interested in additional haxelib functionality should contact me.

Very glad to here that: password recovery, standardized documentation and associate libs to specific haxe versions would make a big difference with a reasonable effort in my opinion.

Franco

Re: Organizing our (not so) little community

Adrian Cowan
Not perfect but close,
http://www.rinkworks.com/dialect/dialectp.cgi?dialect=piglatin&url=http%3A%2F%2Fhaxe.org
<http://www.rinkworks.com/dialect/dialectp.cgi?dialect=piglatin&url=http%3A%2F%2Fhaxe.org>
:-P

Adrian.

Lee McColl Sylvester wrote:

> Would anyone be interested in writing a translation in Pig Latin? That
> one could be really useful ;-)
>

> Martijn Loots wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 Oct 2009, Thomas wrote:
>>
>>> You can read and speak english, so why complicate things?
>>>
>>> Pareto law in action!
>>>
>> Probably most future developers will be Chinese or Indian.
>>
>> Let's get rid of the English while we still can then... ;-)

Re: neko hosting ... was: Organizing our (not so) little community

back2dos

> We could also propose some cheap shared hosting for NekoVM, and maybe
> some totally free with some conditions if we have a bit of space on
> each of our private server.
> I think giving 50 Go on a server is quite small but big for the rest
> of the world, as 200Mo to 1Go is largely enough for a website. We
> would need to define a common application that could be easily
> reproduced on someone else server.
>
> Laurent

+2 ... :D

I think, this'd be really great. I mean, it's cool to have haXe/PHP, and
yes, a vhost is cheap. But simply this kind of all-in-one package would
be great you always get with php.
Get Neko with Tora, FTP/WebDAV(not that I like it WebDAV, put some
people seem to) access, MySQL. Maybe even one port for TCP? And haXe to
build on Server (for example from haxelib)? And some easy administration
gui.
Yes, this seems to be a "nice-but-unnecessary" thing. But really, it
makes customers much more comfortable if their stuff is running on a
managed server with support etc. People can play around. Neko powered
apps could start growing on a larger scale (Forums, Blog engines, Wikis,
CMS, etc.). There is nothing good about PHP except the ease of
deployment. There is nothing bad about neko except the fact that - to be
honest - noone knows it.

greetz
back2dos

Re: Organizing our (not so) little community

back2dos

> Would anyone be interested in writing a translation in Pig Latin? That
> one could be really useful ;-)
why not make the documentation in UML ... that'd make thing clear ... :D
... btw. Pig Latin translation can at least be automated, so yeah, why
not? :D

On the language thing, i'd also say: Drop everything but English.

Ok, I agree the handicap is a little harder for people not speaking an
Indo-European language natively, but without wanting to start a
philosophical discussion: English is THE international language (sorry
if anyone from France is offended :-P). In order for proper
collaboration, you need to choose one language, and as of now, English
is the most widely spread, as well as easy to learn to a level where you
can exchange necessary information for coding purposes. And I don't see
that change all too soon (probably also because most of the mentioned
future Indian devs will all speak English anyways).

I think there is little use for comments and docs written in other
languages, and even less, if not none at all, for code written in other
languages (also, it is questionable, whether having a documentation in
language A for a library written in language B really makes any sense) -
except that for some languages it is really cute. :)
But seriously: If you write a library, that you want to share, the
language of choice is English. Otherwise your effort's value depends on
people translating the docs, or even "porting" the code to another human
language.

Not translating probably excludes some potential community members. OTOH
translating has 2 big problems:
1. it encourages people to stick to their native language, which in the
end creates barriers.
2. requires signifficant effort (in case you want different versions to
be more less in synch). Time and Brains needed elsewhere. (For example I
think it'd be a lot more useful if inline documentation would be passed
for autocompletion)

greetz
back2dos

Re: neko hosting ... was: Organizing our (not so) little community

Laurent Kappler
Juraj Kirchheim a écrit :

>> We could also propose some cheap shared hosting for NekoVM, and maybe
>> some totally free with some conditions if we have a bit of space on
>> each of our private server.
>> I think giving 50 Go on a server is quite small but big for the rest
>> of the world, as 200Mo to 1Go is largely enough for a website. We
>> would need to define a common application that could be easily
>> reproduced on someone else server.
>>
>> Laurent
>>

> +2 ... :D
>
> I think, this'd be really great. I mean, it's cool to have haXe/PHP,
> and yes, a vhost is cheap. But simply this kind of all-in-one package
> would be great you always get with php.
> Get Neko with Tora, FTP/WebDAV(not that I like it WebDAV, put some
> people seem to) access, MySQL. Maybe even one port for TCP? And haXe
> to build on Server (for example from haxelib)? And some easy
> administration gui.
> Yes, this seems to be a "nice-but-unnecessary" thing. But really, it
> makes customers much more comfortable if their stuff is running on a
> managed server with support etc. People can play around. Neko powered
> apps could start growing on a larger scale (Forums, Blog engines,
> Wikis, CMS, etc.). There is nothing good about PHP except the ease of
> deployment. There is nothing bad about neko except the fact that - to
> be honest - noone knows it.
>
> greetz
> back2dos

Sweet :)
We could have an Haxehost app that deploy on a linux server making a
/home/haxehost folder where to store virtual user accounts. And Running
with apache would be easy to add new Virtualhost. The user just need to
give the proper domain name and redirect his dns to the server IP. With
a FTP account he can upload a website. That's basic but maybe it's a
good start.

Then all this could be centrelized on haxe.org. It looks like some kind
of cloud computing :]

Laurent