Organizing our (not so) little community

Organizing our (not so) little community

Benjamin Dasnois
/*
Please note that this is a long post. There's no pun intended in it.
There's no complaining for the sake of complaining, I'm not targeting
anyone.
*/

Hello,

As haXe, and most important, its community, are growing, I I think
that it could be a good idea to organize the community.

This would have to take into account several points :
  - Wiki maintenance
  - Standard haXe's framework management
  - Community management

Those are the three main concerned points IMHO. Now, let's go deeper
into each one.

Wiki maintenance
==============
As we all know, the wiki is an important thing because it is the first
thing a new-comer sees. But it's also important because it's where
you'll find the "official" documentation. The maintaining the wiki is
difficult ATM because : anyone can edit it, it's multi-languages.

In fact, the main problem is that it's multi-language. So, when we
change something in an English page (and we do that quite often, to
reflect a point discussed on this list for example), it may not be
reflected in other languages (and in fact, there are quite a lot of
chances that it will not be reflected). And to be honest, there are
some languages that haven't seen any change for months. This is a very
important problem because the default website one sees is not the
English one but the localized one which may be really out of sync.

I know we already discussed that, but again, I think it would be good
to have one person in charge for each language. That doesn't mean that
no one else should be editing it. That would just mean that this
person would be a manager, eventually have a team of persons with who
he could work. This is very important and would ease keeping other
languages in sync with the English one.

Standard haXe's framework management
===============================
The Standard Framework is a very important thing too, because as we
all know, even if a language is really good, it's nothing without a
good framework. The thing is the framework is already *big* (don't
forget the code base is even bigger because of multiple targets) and
maybe it should grow.

There are two concerns about the haXe Framework :
   - We need a way to bring new things in the framework, but not
anything should make it to the framework. So, we need some kind of
"proposal" and "moderation" procedures.
   - We need to be able to maintain the framework : accepted proposals
have to be implemented, bugs have to be solved.

Here again, I suggest that we go we the "managers" way. But how to
split it? By targets ? Or by API's parts? (SPOD, JS things, ...)

Community management
others. Not having "activity" community oriented also makes some
people leave haXe because they feel like there's nothing happening. I
know I'll hear the "but it's open-source, so things are taking place
everywhere on blogs, websites,... outside of haXe's one" thing. That's
true, but we also need to centralize things. That do not mean that we
need to annihilate things that are outside, but we need to organize
things "inside" too. Look at "modern" languages and frameworks that
made it : they organized things "inside".

In two days, it will be 4 years since haXe development started and in
a little less than a month, that it's been first released to the
public. And how many "community meeting on the web" did we have? One.
ONE. Incredible! Four years, so many people dedicated to haXe, and we
only had ONE meeting online. Why? Because there's no one to organize
things that are community-oriented.

If we want community-driven things, we need community-oriented
activity. And we need someone to organize it.

Please note that I'm going to cross-post this to my blog so that if
some people do not know that the ML is here, they can get in touch.
But I want the discussion to take place here. This is the place where
it has to be.

DASNOIS Benjamin
http://www.benjamindasnois.com

Re: Organizing our (not so) little community

Thomas-8
> And how many "community meeting on the web" did we have? One.
> ONE. Incredible! Four years, so many people dedicated to haXe, and we
> only had ONE meeting online.
We are just too busy being productive with haxe, when other people
have to organize seminars and workshops on how-to solve X or Y problem
:-P

> Why? Because there's no one to organiz things that are community-oriented.
> If we want community-driven things, we need community-oriented
> activity. And we need someone to organize it.
If people are interested, I am setting up a visioconferencing
application, and I was looking for events to stress test it a bit
before selling it. Initially it was written in haxevideo (hence all my
recent posts about it), but due to too many problems enhancing it
(specially the shared / room concept, again hence all my posts about
the infinite loop :-P), I rewrote it to Red5 (i.e: java), but the
client side is written in haxe, so it's cool, I'm eating my own food
:-D

If you want to learn how to grow and handle a big community, look at
how Ruby on Rails has organized its stuff. It's amazing!

Also, come guys. Mailing-lists are painful. I prefer forums because
it's easier to search for old topics and track discussions.
Unfortunately the forum at haxe.org is total crap. A simple phpbb,
vbulletin or whatever would do a much better job. I also host a forum,
but the code is not quite right yet so I won't propose it.

Re: Organizing our (not so) little community

Lee Sylvester
As a note, I will be performing a talk at the FlashBrighton group on
Tuesday 27th October (next Tuesday) giving the same (if updated) talks
that I gave at the LFPUG about the haXe platform. If anyone wants to
attend, give Seb Lee Delisle a hollar for directions and whatnot. It
should be a good night.

Lee

Thomas wrote:

>> And how many "community meeting on the web" did we have? One.
>> ONE. Incredible! Four years, so many people dedicated to haXe, and we
>> only had ONE meeting online.
>>
> We are just too busy being productive with haxe, when other people
> have to organize seminars and workshops on how-to solve X or Y problem
> :-P
>

>> Why? Because there's no one to organiz things that are community-oriented.
>> If we want community-driven things, we need community-oriented
>> activity. And we need someone to organize it.
>>
> If people are interested, I am setting up a visioconferencing
> application, and I was looking for events to stress test it a bit
> before selling it. Initially it was written in haxevideo (hence all my
> recent posts about it), but due to too many problems enhancing it
> (specially the shared / room concept, again hence all my posts about
> the infinite loop :-P), I rewrote it to Red5 (i.e: java), but the
> client side is written in haxe, so it's cool, I'm eating my own food
> :-D
>
> If you want to learn how to grow and handle a big community, look at
> how Ruby on Rails has organized its stuff. It's amazing!
>
> Also, come guys. Mailing-lists are painful. I prefer forums because
> it's easier to search for old topics and track discussions.
> Unfortunately the forum at haxe.org is total crap. A simple phpbb,
> vbulletin or whatever would do a much better job. I also host a forum,
> but the code is not quite right yet so I won't propose it.
>
> Cheers,

Re: Organizing our (not so) little community

Thomas-8
On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 12:37 AM, Lee McColl Sylvester
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> As a note, I will be performing a talk at the FlashBrighton group on Tuesday
> 27th October (next Tuesday) giving the same (if updated) talks that I gave
> at the LFPUG about the haXe platform. If anyone wants to attend, give Seb
> Lee Delisle a hollar for directions and whatnot. It should be a good night.
Make sure it gets recorded!

Re: Organizing our (not so) little community

Lee Sylvester
Yes, I'm pretty sure it will be :-)

Lee

Thomas wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 12:37 AM, Lee McColl Sylvester
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> As a note, I will be performing a talk at the FlashBrighton group on Tuesday
>> 27th October (next Tuesday) giving the same (if updated) talks that I gave
>> at the LFPUG about the haXe platform. If anyone wants to attend, give Seb
>> Lee Delisle a hollar for directions and whatnot. It should be a good night.
>>
> Make sure it gets recorded!

Re: Organizing our (not so) little community

Armén
On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 00:32, Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Also, come guys. Mailing-lists are painful. I prefer forums because
> it's easier to search for old topics and track discussions.

Actually, I have been thinking about it and to me it seems mailing
lists are what all forums should have always been, i.e. forums sans
the whole hoolabalooja with POST requests, abused CSS page styles,
too-centralized and no distribution. Mailing lists are PERHAPS a bit
too simple, but they work.

I have been living in Windows culture for so long, I regret not having
used mailing lists before. It is a much better experience for me than
forums ever were. I guess it may be the whole culture - everything
should be simple point and click and reinventing the wheel is always a
good idea as long as you make pretty buttons and help messages
everywhere. Now I think, that those people who invented mailing lists
were genius - If you think about it mailing lists replicate about 99%
of your average forum functionality, and doing so without bothering
you with stuff you did not ask for.

Why is it easier to search forums? haXe mailing lists are searched
with Google, you don't get better search than that, I am afraid. Maybe
you mean that forums are many but haXe mailing list is one? Surely,
having one central (but distributed) place of knowledge dispersal and
accumulation is better than having mushrooms pop up all over Internet?
Mailing lists do not care for server loads, and storage is cheap these
days, the archives hardly are heavy on storage.

In fact, if we want forums so badly, how about using the mailing list
archives as "model" and present it instead of haXe forum on haXe pages
("views"), styled with CSS and with an "internal" web-forms-based
message posting GUI? This will be the ultimate tool. You can post
to/from the web, or from your POP/SMTP client, and all will go to the
same place of interest.
You fuse the two groups doing things differently.

In fact this has already been done:
http://markmail.org/search/haxe%40lists.motion-twin.com
http://n2.nabble.com/Haxe-f1354130.html

I am sure there are more. We are programmers, we should be able to
think both in terms of "data" and "presentation of data". There is no
reason at all to not use the mailing list as data, and simply feed it
to whatever we think "forums" should look like. Forums have been with
us much longer than the noble attempts of PHPBB, Invision Boards etc.

haxe.org is the perfect place to organize the community, and much has
already been done.
There are the minor things like webpage design and more careful use of
JavaScript - it breaks user experience many places IMO - f.e. the
documentation could use a more conservative strategy, instead of going
with the dynamic expanding tree nodes, and the wiki editor lags on
typing because of the smart but slow "what you type is what you see"
strategy again. Anyway, I am willing to help with the website, but I
am not sure anybody would be willing to let me tinker with it :)

Re: Organizing our (not so) little community

Ian Thomas
On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 11:32 PM, Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Also, come guys. Mailing-lists are painful. I prefer forums because
> it's easier to search for old topics and track discussions.
> Unfortunately the forum at haxe.org is total crap. A simple phpbb,
> vbulletin or whatever would do a much better job. I also host a forum,
> but the code is not quite right yet so I won't propose it.

This has been raised before. To avoid rehashing - some people prefer
forums. Some people prefer mailing lists (myself included). So the
solution needs to cater for both tastes.

Ian

Re: Organizing our (not so) little community

Benjamin Dasnois
Please let me re-center my own topic ; this is absolutely not about
using a mailing-list or a forum. This is about understanding that the
community is not only who's on the mailing-list (or forum, or
whatever) but in a variety of place. There were also the two first
points ;)

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 10:40 AM, Ian Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 11:32 PM, Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Also, come guys. Mailing-lists are painful. I prefer forums because
>> it's easier to search for old topics and track discussions.
>> Unfortunately the forum at haxe.org is total crap. A simple phpbb,
>> vbulletin or whatever would do a much better job. I also host a forum,
>> but the code is not quite right yet so I won't propose it.
>
> This has been raised before. To avoid rehashing - some people prefer
> forums. Some people prefer mailing lists (myself included). So the
> solution needs to cater for both tastes.
>
> Ian

DASNOIS Benjamin
http://www.benjamindasnois.com

Re: Organizing our (not so) little community

Martijn Loots
On Tue, 20 Oct 2009, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 00:32, Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Also, come guys. Mailing-lists are painful. I prefer forums because
>> it's easier to search for old topics and track discussions.

[...]
> In fact, if we want forums so badly, how about using the mailing list
> archives as "model" and present it instead of haXe forum on haXe pages
> ("views"), styled with CSS and with an "internal" web-forms-based
> message posting GUI? This will be the ultimate tool. You can post
> to/from the web, or from your POP/SMTP client, and all will go to the
> same place of interest.

This idea crossed my mind too, several times at least, since the
birth of the haXe forum. It would be soo nice to see all the
accumulated mailing list knowledge readily available interactively
in that very same forum. The current forum is all like haXe itself:
you need that bit of extra effort to appreciate its bare bones
functionality. A coupling with the mailing archive and a simple way
to edit one's own posts would make it a decent place to look for
answers (and ask questions that will show up in the mailing list
too). A central point of haXe contact with access to both worlds:
the gui oriented forum users and the mailing listers. Speaking for
myself: I think those worlds in haXe don't have much overlap, so
this would unite the haXe community immediatly.

I am a mailing lister myself and dislike searching through forums.

If I were a forum user, I'd started a query for everyone right
now to pinpoint the situation, like "Please answer of of the
following":

   o I use the mailing list by preference

   o I use the forum by preference

   o I use both forum and mailing list

It would be nice to know for real how the statistics are.

My 2 cents, grtz,
--
-Martijn    @..@    ( Martijn Loots       -  Hengelo  [NL] )
-          (`--')   ( martijn<@>cosix.com -  www.cosix.com )

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009, Benjamin Dasnois wrote:

> Please let me re-center my own topic ; this is absolutely not about
> using a mailing-list or a forum. This is about understanding that the
> community is not only who's on the mailing-list (or forum, or
> whatever) but in a variety of place. There were also the two first
> points ;)

Yeah, but having a united community accessable via either mailing list
or forum would make this question show up in both places... It's partly
a chicken/egg situation: to address the lesser geeks that are good in
managing stuff, you'd probably have to use a forum. But most forum
users (IMHO at least) don't really get the support they could find
as the most knowledgeable people (still IMHO) only reside in the
mailing list...

I don't have figures to proof all this, but being an experienced
programmer, I still needed a lot of help in the beginning. I presume
quite a few people that only find out about haXe via web searches and
the available forum, quickly turn their back on haXe as not being
viable enough for *them*, discarding the wealth of archives information
that does not show up in the forum...

As part of your quest: you mentioned language support. I'd be happy
to be part of a team that manages the Dutch language pages. I have
too little time available to do that all myself, but teaming up with
total 3 or 4 people per language will do most of the trick I think.
It just needs 1 additional Wiki function: an edit of an english page
has to be flagged to those teams, so they can take action. That could
be via email, a distinct marker on the Wiki for logged on translation
team members or both.

Grtz,
--
-Martijn    @..@    ( Martijn Loots       -  Hengelo  [NL] )
-          (`--')   ( martijn<@>cosix.com -  www.cosix.com )
-         ( >__< )  ----------------------------------------
-         ^^^  ^^^  (   Netwerken, Security, Open Source   )

Re: Organizing our (not so) little community

Heinz Hölzer-2
here is already a nice representation of the mailing list,

Martijn Loots schrieb:

> On Tue, 20 Oct 2009, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 00:32, Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Also, come guys. Mailing-lists are painful. I prefer forums because
>>> it's easier to search for old topics and track discussions.
>>
> [...]
>>
>> In fact, if we want forums so badly, how about using the mailing list
>> archives as "model" and present it instead of haXe forum on haXe pages
>> ("views"), styled with CSS and with an "internal" web-forms-based
>> message posting GUI? This will be the ultimate tool. You can post
>> to/from the web, or from your POP/SMTP client, and all will go to the
>> same place of interest.
>>
> This idea crossed my mind too, several times at least, since the
> birth of the haXe forum. It would be soo nice to see all the
> accumulated mailing list knowledge readily available interactively
> in that very same forum. The current forum is all like haXe itself:
> you need that bit of extra effort to appreciate its bare bones
> functionality. A coupling with the mailing archive and a simple way
> to edit one's own posts would make it a decent place to look for
> answers (and ask questions that will show up in the mailing list
> too). A central point of haXe contact with access to both worlds:
> the gui oriented forum users and the mailing listers. Speaking for
> myself: I think those worlds in haXe don't have much overlap, so
> this would unite the haXe community immediatly.
>
> I am a mailing lister myself and dislike searching through forums.
>
> If I were a forum user, I'd started a query for everyone right
> now to pinpoint the situation, like "Please answer of of the
> following":
>
>   o I use the mailing list by preference
>
>   o I use the forum by preference
>
>   o I use both forum and mailing list
>
> It would be nice to know for real how the statistics are.
>
> My 2 cents, grtz,

Re: Organizing our (not so) little community

Benjamin Dasnois
Yes I totally agree with you on this additional feature needed for wiki sync.

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009, Heinz Hölzer wrote:

> here is already a nice representation of the mailing list,
>
> http://n2.nabble.com/Haxe-f1354130.html

May I be blunt ?

  - I like it. A lot.
  - Clean and IMO much better layout than the markmail version
  - It should be on haxe.org...
  - If on haxe.org, needs a bit of haxe.org UI sauce

Hope I didn't step on too many toes here. I was a bit too quick
reinventing a wheel... I just read armencho's post again, this
time eying the very same link... :-/

All in all: nice; hope to find this or something very similar
on haxe.org soon.

Grtz,
--
-Martijn

--
-Martijn    @..@    ( Martijn Loots       -  Hengelo  [NL] )
-          (`--')   ( martijn<@>cosix.com -  www.cosix.com )
-         ( >__< )  ----------------------------------------
-         ^^^  ^^^  (   Netwerken, Security, Open Source   )

Re: Organizing our (not so) little community

Ian Thomas
+1

And sorry, Benjamin, if you see your thread as being hijacked into
another 'forum vs mailing list' but I do think it is important for
attracting new users.

On your other notes - I'd _love_ to contribute to the layout of the
haXe standard library (I have been considering for a while some sort
of standard cross-platform haXe display API that isn't driven to match
the Flash API) but I'll never, ever have time. :-( Although for the
first time in ages I am actually getting to do some proper hands-on
haXe coding, so you never know...

Ian

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 12:21 PM, Martijn Loots <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Oct 2009, Heinz Hölzer wrote:
>
>> here is already a nice representation of the mailing list,
>>
>> http://n2.nabble.com/Haxe-f1354130.html
>>
> May I be blunt ?
>
>  - I like it. A lot.
>  - Clean and IMO much better layout than the markmail version
>  - It should be on haxe.org...
>  - If on haxe.org, needs a bit of haxe.org UI sauce
>
> Hope I didn't step on too many toes here. I was a bit too quick
> reinventing a wheel... I just read armencho's post again, this
> time eying the very same link... :-/
>
> All in all: nice; hope to find this or something very similar
> on haxe.org soon.
>
> Grtz,
> --
> -Martijn
>
>> Martijn Loots schrieb:

>>> [...]
>>>>
>>> This idea crossed my mind too, several times at least, since the
>>> birth of the haXe forum. It would be soo nice to see all the
>>> accumulated mailing list knowledge readily available interactively
>>> in that very same forum. The current forum is all like haXe itself:
>>> you need that bit of extra effort to appreciate its bare bones
>>> functionality. A coupling with the mailing archive and a simple way
>>> to edit one's own posts would make it a decent place to look for
>>> answers (and ask questions that will show up in the mailing list
>>> too). A central point of haXe contact with access to both worlds:
>>> the gui oriented forum users and the mailing listers. Speaking for
>>> myself: I think those worlds in haXe don't have much overlap, so
>>> this would unite the haXe community immediatly.
>>>
>>> I am a mailing lister myself and dislike searching through forums.
>>>
>>> If I were a forum user, I'd started a query for everyone right
>>> now to pinpoint the situation, like "Please answer of of the
>>> following":
>>>
>>>  o I use the mailing list by preference
>>>
>>>  o I use the forum by preference
>>>
>>>  o I use both forum and mailing list
>>>
>>> It would be nice to know for real how the statistics are.
>>>
>>> My 2 cents, grtz,
>>

> --
> -Martijn    @..@    ( Martijn Loots       -  Hengelo  [NL] )
> -          (`--')   ( martijn<@>cosix.com -  www.cosix.com )
> -         ( >__< )  ----------------------------------------
> -         ^^^  ^^^  (   Netwerken, Security, Open Source   )

Re: Organizing our (not so) little community

Laurent Kappler
+1 also to put nabble as a link on the haxe.org.

For the translation of all wiki, maybe first could we have an automatic
translation from google translate when a new record is added or updated.
This could be quoted and stored as a google translation, because google
does not yet have a human brain. And then in the future, language team
member could copy/paste un correct those googles version to real human
texts and set it to 'translated' then google text don't appear anymore.

But it's true all this community developpement takes much time that we
all have I think, because we would do it. Still we should keep that in
mind, I think this framework developpement will show at light as many
people are developping their own tools and propose them to the
community. The fact that one person manage a project is quite good
because he gets filtering proposal as knowing the baby better than
anyone. So I think we should keep up the way we're doing, centralising
and making HaXe big does not need to be a goal yet I think, we have
time. First we should get ourselve some hosting server, then maybe
people can get more into the nekoVM on shared hosts.
But sure a Big huge framework would be awesome.

Few days ago some speaks about more consistency on the javascript
platform and I just replied  'ho no I'm very happy with the js target
all works like candy', but I did not yet launched my website on IE, I
have to search for IE on my computer :) And true js does not work. I
will go on fixing that to see what's the deal and I would like to report
this on a higher level that it could be corrected at source code. If
others know many little thing that have to be corrected maybe we could
start a list. Who's in charge of the js Target ? Nicolas also?

Who is behind Motion twin ?? :))
Super heroes remain hidden...

Thanks for all
Laurent

Ian Thomas a écrit :

> +1
>
> And sorry, Benjamin, if you see your thread as being hijacked into
> another 'forum vs mailing list' but I do think it is important for
> attracting new users.
>
> On your other notes - I'd _love_ to contribute to the layout of the
> haXe standard library (I have been considering for a while some sort
> of standard cross-platform haXe display API that isn't driven to match
> the Flash API) but I'll never, ever have time. :-( Although for the
> first time in ages I am actually getting to do some proper hands-on
> haXe coding, so you never know...
>
> Ian
>
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 12:21 PM, Martijn Loots <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 20 Oct 2009, Heinz Hölzer wrote:
>>

>>> here is already a nice representation of the mailing list,
>>>
>>> http://n2.nabble.com/Haxe-f1354130.html
>>>

>> May I be blunt ?
>>
>>  - I like it. A lot.
>>  - Clean and IMO much better layout than the markmail version
>>  - It should be on haxe.org...
>>  - If on haxe.org, needs a bit of haxe.org UI sauce
>>
>> Hope I didn't step on too many toes here. I was a bit too quick
>> reinventing a wheel... I just read armencho's post again, this
>> time eying the very same link... :-/
>>
>> All in all: nice; hope to find this or something very similar
>> on haxe.org soon.
>>
>> Grtz,
>> --
>> -Martijn

>> --
>> -Martijn    @..@    ( Martijn Loots       -  Hengelo  [NL] )
>> -          (`--')   ( martijn<@>cosix.com -  www.cosix.com )
>> -         ( >__< )  ----------------------------------------
>> -         ^^^  ^^^  (   Netwerken, Security, Open Source   )

Re: Organizing our (not so) little community

Heinz Hölzer-2
I think it's better to show the english version instead of a automatic
translation.
The problem is that most people are landing on their own language site
and never
tries to switch to the english version.

Sometimes when i search for something i search in the german version
(because it's default), until i realize that
i have to switch the language to get the information i was looking for.

laurent schrieb:

> [...]
>>>  - Clean and IMO much better layout than the markmail version
>>>  - It should be on haxe.org...
>>>  - If on haxe.org, needs a bit of haxe.org UI sauce
>>>
>>> Hope I didn't step on too many toes here. I was a bit too quick
>>> reinventing a wheel... I just read armencho's post again, this
>>> time eying the very same link... :-/
>>>
>>> All in all: nice; hope to find this or something very similar
>>> on haxe.org soon.
>>>
>>> Grtz,
>>> --
>>> -Martijn

>>> --
>>> -Martijn    @..@    ( Martijn Loots       -  Hengelo  [NL] )
>>> -          (`--')   ( martijn<@>cosix.com -  www.cosix.com )
>>> -         ( >__< )  ----------------------------------------
>>> -         ^^^  ^^^  (   Netwerken, Security, Open Source   )

Re: Organizing our (not so) little community

I would like to see the english version as default for everybody.

laurent schrieb:

> [...]
>>>  - Clean and IMO much better layout than the markmail version
>>>  - It should be on haxe.org...
>>>  - If on haxe.org, needs a bit of haxe.org UI sauce
>>>
>>> Hope I didn't step on too many toes here. I was a bit too quick
>>> reinventing a wheel... I just read armencho's post again, this
>>> time eying the very same link... :-/
>>>
>>> All in all: nice; hope to find this or something very similar
>>> on haxe.org soon.
>>>
>>> Grtz,
>>> --
>>> -Martijn

>>> --
>>> -Martijn    @..@    ( Martijn Loots       -  Hengelo  [NL] )
>>> -          (`--')   ( martijn<@>cosix.com -  www.cosix.com )
>>> -         ( >__< )  ----------------------------------------
>>> -         ^^^  ^^^  (   Netwerken, Security, Open Source   )

Re: Organizing our (not so) little community

Andreas Söderlund
2009/10/20 Heinz Hölzer <[hidden email]>
I would like to see the english version as default for everybody.

I agree, when it's all voluntary it's better with 10 people keeping track of one big thing instead of each one keeping track of a separate part. If someone lacks time for updating (or simply disappears) it won't affect the system that much. Of course there is a bigger chance of conflicts, but isn't that better than no activity at all?

/Andreas

Re: Organizing our (not so) little community

Tyler MacLeod
Thinking about it, I would love to see some TLC given to the framework.

I believe we already have a great solution to this with haxelib. Utilizing haxelib, we can allow anyone to expand the standard library, and share it with anyone who wishes to use it as well.

-- Tyler MacLeod

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 8:27 AM, Ian Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>> myself: I think those worlds in haXe don't have much overlap, so
>>> this would unite the haXe community immediatly.
>>>
>>> I am a mailing lister myself and dislike searching through forums.
>>>
>>> If I were a forum user, I'd started a query for everyone right
>>> now to pinpoint the situation, like "Please answer of of the
>>> following":
>>>
>>>  o I use the mailing list by preference
>>>
>>>  o I use the forum by preference
>>>
>>>  o I use both forum and mailing list
>>>
>>> It would be nice to know for real how the statistics are.
>>>
>>> My 2 cents, grtz,
>>

> --
> -Martijn    @..@    ( Martijn Loots       -  Hengelo  [NL] )
> -          (`--')   ( martijn<@>cosix.com -  www.cosix.com )
> -         ^^^  ^^^  (   Netwerken, Security, Open Source   )

Re: Organizing our (not so) little community

What is TLC ?