[OT] Scarygirl haxe

Tony Polinelli

Hi all,

FYI - we are using haxe in parts of scarygirl game and & our website

www.scarygirl.com - website fully made in haxe- the flash and a haxe/php cms.

The main game is as3 but the console games that you collect are built with haxe (just for fun). you can view them directly here (or find them in the game, and play in the game TV):
http://sg.touchmypixel.com/consolegames/

We've made a cms which i'll opensource maybe next week it fully powers our site - http://www.touchmypixel.com and another site http://www.texstyle.com.au/

Its a pity that we cant boast that the whole game is made in haxe, but we started it well before getting serious about the language, hope i can post some better haxe games soon

cheers

Tony Polinelli
http://www.touchmypixel.com

Re: [OT] Scarygirl haxe

Russell Weir
Nice Tony.

All your consolegames links seem to point at breakout though.

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 1:35 AM, Tony Polinelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Sorry- i'm good at writing links and not testing them :(

Tony Polinelli
http://www.touchmypixel.com

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 5:44 PM, Russell Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Chris Hecker

Congrats on this launch, you guys got a ton of awesome press this week!

> Its a pity that we cant boast that the whole game is made in haxe,
> but we started it well before getting serious about the language,
> hope i can post some better haxe games soon

I'll be interested to hear a writeup of your experiences contrasting
with as3 once you do a bigger game all in haxe.

Chris

Tony Polinelli wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> FYI - we are using haxe in parts of scarygirl game and & our website
>
> www.scarygirl.com <http://www.scarygirl.com> - website fully made in
> haxe- the flash and a haxe/php cms.
>
> The main game is as3 but the console games that you collect are built
> with haxe (just for fun). you can view them directly here (or find them
> in the game, and play in the game TV):
> http://sg.touchmypixel.com/consolegames/
>
> We've made a cms which i'll opensource maybe next week it fully powers
> our site - http://www.touchmypixel.com and another site
> http://www.texstyle.com.au/
>
> Its a pity that we cant boast that the whole game is made in haxe, but
> we started it well before getting serious about the language, hope i can
> post some better haxe games soon
>
> cheers
>

> Tony Polinelli
> http://www.touchmypixel.com

Re: [OT] Scarygirl haxe

theRemix
Beautiful game, congrats and good work.

curious, may i ask how long the entire project took?

development and real time?

is it a paid project, sponsored, or just for fun on the side?

-+> theRemix

On Apr 17, 2009, at 9:35 PM, Tony Polinelli wrote:

Hi all,

FYI - we are using haxe in parts of scarygirl game and & our website

www.scarygirl.com - website fully made in haxe- the flash and a haxe/php cms.

The main game is as3 but the console games that you collect are built with haxe (just for fun). you can view them directly here (or find them in the game, and play in the game TV):
http://sg.touchmypixel.com/consolegames/

We've made a cms which i'll opensource maybe next week it fully powers our site - http://www.touchmypixel.com and another site http://www.texstyle.com.au/

Its a pity that we cant boast that the whole game is made in haxe, but we started it well before getting serious about the language, hope i can post some better haxe games soon

cheers

Tony Polinelli
http://www.touchmypixel.com

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: [OT] Scarygirl haxe

Tony Polinelli
thanks,

curious, may i ask how long the entire project took?

development and real time?

we've been working on it for over a year and a half - not totally fulltime, but crazy hours when we do (till 5 am kinda thing) - so maybe the same in real time -  for 2 people (seems a long time, wow), there was 1 animator, 1 artist, 1 sound guy, 1 producer involved too

is it a paid project, sponsored, or just for fun on the side?

Its funded by Film Victoria (government organization) the project was supposed to be 9 months and we were paid for that... so we've been working for the last 9 months for free - so a bit of both. Obvious other project pay the bills too.

i just wrote a blog about the project if your interested reading more too

[...]

tong-2
On Sat, 2009-04-18 at 17:35 +1000, Tony Polinelli wrote:

Awesome game ! Stunning artwork! True masterpiece!
I definitely have to play to the end.

.t

--
[)   |   5   |<   †   |2   3   3

Re: [OT] Scarygirl haxe

makc
2009/4/18 Tony Polinelli <[hidden email]>:
> The main game is as3 but the console games that you collect are built with
> haxe (just for fun). you can view them directly here (or find them in the
> game, and play in the game TV):
> http://sg.touchmypixel.com/consolegames/

btw, if that matters at all, racer minigame has fatal gameplay flaw -
you dont have to actually play it and still get as high score as you
want. I could simply leave it running and go drink my tea, and yet no
car hit me :)

_.jpg (15K) Download Attachment

Re: [OT] Scarygirl haxe

Tony Polinelli

ha.. yeah i've noticed that...

should get around to fixing it, will take about 4 seconds to place an enemy car on each line, dont know if i have the time ;P

Tony Polinelli
http://www.touchmypixel.com

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 5:53 PM, Makc <[hidden email]> wrote:
2009/4/18 Tony Polinelli <[hidden email]>:
> The main game is as3 but the console games that you collect are built with
> haxe (just for fun). you can view them directly here (or find them in the
> game, and play in the game TV):
> http://sg.touchmypixel.com/consolegames/

btw, if that matters at all, racer minigame has fatal gameplay flaw -
you dont have to actually play it and still get as high score as you
want. I could simply leave it running and go drink my tea, and yet no
car hit me :)

Re: [OT] Scarygirl haxe

Justin Donaldson
Hey, I just wanted to chime in and say the game is really great.  Fantastic art design, characters,  and puzzles (I love Tim Burton and Tim Schafer, which you seem to draw a bit of influence from).  I'm not sure if the thought bubbles were an aesthetic choice, or an internationalization necessity, but they're perfect.

Best,
-Justin

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 4:00 AM, Tony Polinelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

ha.. yeah i've noticed that...

should get around to fixing it, will take about 4 seconds to place an enemy car on each line, dont know if i have the time ;P
On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 5:53 PM, Makc <[hidden email]> wrote:
2009/4/18 Tony Polinelli <[hidden email]>:
> The main game is as3 but the console games that you collect are built with
> haxe (just for fun). you can view them directly here (or find them in the
> game, and play in the game TV):
> http://sg.touchmypixel.com/consolegames/

btw, if that matters at all, racer minigame has fatal gameplay flaw -
you dont have to actually play it and still get as high score as you
want. I could simply leave it running and go drink my tea, and yet no
car hit me :)

Justin Donaldson
PhD Candidate, Informatics
Indiana University
http://www.scwn.net
aim: iujjd

Re: [OT] Scarygirl haxe

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer-2
The thought bubbles were both partly aesthetic, as they're used in a similar way in the artists up coming graphic novel, but we also thought it would help with internationalization. We ended up having to have a bunch of text before each level, but I think the game is playable without having to read anything, just might be a little confusing.