New website for NME

singmajesty
I had time this evening, and felt I wanted to create a site for NME.

I really, really want your input on this, if you are interested. I have
not announced it to the full Haxe mailing list, and am not announcing it
elsewhere right now, because I really would like your assistance in making
it concise, appealing, and most of all, true to the project.

http://www.haxenme.org/

I also have www.haxenme.com and www.haxenme.info, which redirect to
www.haxenme.org.

Please give me your feedback, or feel free not to respond if you're too
busy and aren't interested.

Thank you, I really appreciate your time and all that you guys do.

Re: New website for NME

singmajesty
Wow, that was a mistake. Sorry, this was an email that *was not* intended
to go out to the mailing list

*facehp*

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 03:02:50 -0700, Joshua Granick
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I had time this evening, and felt I wanted to create a site for NME.
>
> I really, really want your input on this, if you are interested. I have
> not announced it to the full Haxe mailing list, and am not announcing it
> elsewhere right now, because I really would like your assistance in
> making it concise, appealing, and most of all, true to the project.
>
> http://www.haxenme.org/
>
> I also have www.haxenme.com and www.haxenme.info, which redirect to
> www.haxenme.org.
>
> Please give me your feedback, or feel free not to respond if you're too
> busy and aren't interested.
>
> Thank you, I really appreciate your time and all that you guys do.

RE: New website for NME

luca deltodesco
Not sure about the blinding orange ;)

> To: [hidden email]

> Subject: Re: [haXe] New website for NME
> Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 03:11:12 -0700
> From: [hidden email]
>
> Wow, that was a mistake. Sorry, this was an email that *was not* intended
> to go out to the mailing list
>
> *facehp*
>

> On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 03:02:50 -0700, Joshua Granick
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I had time this evening, and felt I wanted to create a site for NME.
> >
> > I really, really want your input on this, if you are interested. I have
> > not announced it to the full Haxe mailing list, and am not announcing it
> > elsewhere right now, because I really would like your assistance in
> > making it concise, appealing, and most of all, true to the project.
> >
> > http://www.haxenme.org/
> >
> > I also have www.haxenme.com and www.haxenme.info, which redirect to
> > www.haxenme.org.
> >
> > Please give me your feedback, or feel free not to respond if you're too
> > busy and aren't interested.
> >
> > Thank you, I really appreciate your time and all that you guys do.
> >

> --
> Using Opera's revolutionary email client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

Re: New website for NME

Elsass Philippe
Good move !

I think the sample code is great.

I'm cool with the red around the content but please use a white-ish page background for the text :)

Arguably the bias for webOS isn't a big selling poing so platform order should be presented more like:
Flash, iOS, Android, webOS, native Win, native Mac.

Libraries should be split into: game frameworks / tool libraries

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 12:02 PM, Joshua Granick <[hidden email]> wrote:
I had time this evening, and felt I wanted to create a site for NME.

I really, really want your input on this, if you are interested. I have not announced it to the full Haxe mailing list, and am not announcing it elsewhere right now, because I really would like your assistance in making it concise, appealing, and most of all, true to the project.

http://www.haxenme.org/

I also have www.haxenme.com and www.haxenme.info, which redirect to www.haxenme.org.

Please give me your feedback, or feel free not to respond if you're too busy and aren't interested.

Thank you, I really appreciate your time and all that you guys do.

--
Philippe

Re: New website for NME

Yanis Benson

How abou mailing list for nme too?

On 25 Aug 2011 14:52, "Elsass Philippe" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Good move !
>
> I think the sample code is great.
>
> I'm cool with the red around the content but please use a white-ish page
> background for the text :)
>
> Arguably the bias for webOS isn't a big selling poing so platform order
> should be presented more like:
> Flash, iOS, Android, webOS, native Win, native Mac.
>
> Libraries should be split into: game frameworks / tool libraries
>

> On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 12:02 PM, Joshua Granick <[hidden email]
>> wrote:
>
>> I had time this evening, and felt I wanted to create a site for NME.
>>
>> I really, really want your input on this, if you are interested. I have not
>> announced it to the full Haxe mailing list, and am not announcing it
>> elsewhere right now, because I really would like your assistance in making
>> it concise, appealing, and most of all, true to the project.
>>
>> http://www.haxenme.org/
>>
>> I also have www.haxenme.com and www.haxenme.info, which redirect to
>> www.haxenme.org.
>>
>> Please give me your feedback, or feel free not to respond if you're too
>> busy and aren't interested.
>>
>> Thank you, I really appreciate your time and all that you guys do.
>>

> --
> Philippe

Re: New website for NME

Joshua

I love the orange but I am finding it too hard to read the content,
what about just changing the backdrop to black, and using the current
backdrop color for accents.

Cheers
;j

On 25 Aug 2011, at 11:02, Joshua Granick wrote:

> I had time this evening, and felt I wanted to create a site for NME.
>
> I really, really want your input on this, if you are interested. I
> have not announced it to the full Haxe mailing list, and am not
> announcing it elsewhere right now, because I really would like your
> assistance in making it concise, appealing, and most of all, true to
> the project.
>
> http://www.haxenme.org/
>
> I also have www.haxenme.com and www.haxenme.info, which redirect to www.haxenme.org
> .
>
> Please give me your feedback, or feel free not to respond if you're
> too busy and aren't interested.
>
> Thank you, I really appreciate your time and all that you guys do.

Re: New website for NME

bruno baudry
Cool initiative !
Same comment about the Orange bg, not very accessible and hard to read (for geezers like me).

2011/8/25 Joshua Granick <[hidden email]>
Wow, that was a mistake. Sorry, this was an email that *was not* intended to go out to the mailing list

*facehp*

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 03:02:50 -0700, Joshua Granick <[hidden email]> wrote:

I had time this evening, and felt I wanted to create a site for NME.

I really, really want your input on this, if you are interested. I have not announced it to the full Haxe mailing list, and am not announcing it elsewhere right now, because I really would like your assistance in making it concise, appealing, and most of all, true to the project.

http://www.haxenme.org/

I also have www.haxenme.com and www.haxenme.info, which redirect to www.haxenme.org.

Please give me your feedback, or feel free not to respond if you're too busy and aren't interested.

Thank you, I really appreciate your time and all that you guys do.

_      _  _     _  _\   /
|_)    |_)|_||  || \ |_)Y
|_)    |_)|  ||_||_/|  \ |

Re: New website for NME

Baluta Cristian
After a while i see red in front of my eyes, which can't be a good sign.

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 3:06 PM, bruno baudry <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Băluță Cristian
http://ralcr.com
http://imagin.ro

Re: New website for NME

bubblebenj
Yep bright orange as a back ground isn't a good idea for readability, maybe you can swap font and background colors to make it softer.

Despite this point, I've found it well written :
- Clear
- appealing
- Straight to the facts
- Give the basics to start with
- I'm not a nme user, but of after reading the page. I think I'll put my hand on when I have time.

Ben

Re: New website for NME

He he he.  Looks like you will get more feedback than you anticipated :)

I like everything except the BG colour. The colours actually look pretty
good,
but I don't think its feasible for a website.

I have quite a few ideas for some website stuff - but I find any web
stuff takes serious amounts of time and I don't know if I can make
a commitment.

Some things:
1. Doco - some basic dry stuff - probably auto generated, and with notes
   where it differs from flash.
2. Tutorials - these are actually more important than doco, since you
   can usually refer to the flash doco. I see you have committed to this
    which is great.
3. Examples - similar to tutorials.

4. Overnight binaries.  I have had some kind offerers of build-servers.
   What I need on top of this is the ability to pull together the binaries
   from the different build machines (3: machines mac/ios, windows, linux
   and then the "sdks" which could run on any of these machines) and
   match them with the svn hx code.
5. Forum. On second thoughts, too much work. Ideally this would magically
   happen without any spam problems.
6.  Would be nice to have some way of sharing user projects, but that
   may be way too hard.

I think haxenme is the logical extension of nekonme as a name and is
as good 7-letter domain name as you are likely to get.

So in principle, I am happy to support this initiative.
I am not sure how much time I can devote to it though.

Hugh

> Wow, that was a mistake. Sorry, this was an email that *was not*
> intended to go out to the mailing list
>
> *facehp*
>

> On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 03:02:50 -0700, Joshua Granick
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I had time this evening, and felt I wanted to create a site for NME.
>>
>> I really, really want your input on this, if you are interested. I have
>> not announced it to the full Haxe mailing list, and am not announcing
>> it elsewhere right now, because I really would like your assistance in
>> making it concise, appealing, and most of all, true to the project.
>>
>> http://www.haxenme.org/
>>
>> I also have www.haxenme.com and www.haxenme.info, which redirect to
>> www.haxenme.org.
>>
>> Please give me your feedback, or feel free not to respond if you're too
>> busy and aren't interested.
>>
>> Thank you, I really appreciate your time and all that you guys do.

Re: New website for NME

Daniel Uranga
+1 for the idea. Just: http://contrastrebellion.com/

Re: New website for NME

hey guys!

very cool site! Except for the bg : )

4. Overnight binaries.  I have had some kind offerers of build-servers.
 What I need on top of this is the ability to pull together the binaries
 from the different build machines (3: machines mac/ios, windows, linux
 and then the "sdks" which could run on any of these machines) and
 match them with the svn hx code.

yeah, this is on me. I really want to support nme, and we already have all the build servers running, so.  I've started sketching our own company build server program and it would be a trivial task to include nme for automatic builds also (not so trivial because of the compile errors :P ). I'd still wouldn't be able to build on linux 32 (I am pretty sure I could build it from linux64, but I get some missing libs. Will detail that when I try it again!)

5. Forum. On second thoughts, too much work. Ideally this would magically
 happen without any spam problems.

You know what would kick some ass? A stackoverflow-kind of site for haxe-related questions. Just throwing an idea out : )

6.  Would be nice to have some way of sharing user projects, but that
 may be way too hard.

By now maybe just a showcase? Or a wiki?

Re: New website for NME

This is hilarious.

I was *not* expecting so much feedback on the background color :)

Does chocolate look better?

http://www.haxenme.org

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 05:52:51 -0700, Baluta Cristian
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> After a while i see red in front of my eyes, which can't be a good sign.
>

> On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 3:06 PM, bruno baudry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Cool initiative !
>> Same comment about the Orange bg, not very accessible and hard to read
>> (for
>> geezers like me).
>>

>> 2011/8/25 Joshua Granick <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> Wow, that was a mistake. Sorry, this was an email that *was not*
>>> intended
>>> to go out to the mailing list
>>>
>>> *facehp*
>>>

>>> On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 03:02:50 -0700, Joshua Granick <
>>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>>  I had time this evening, and felt I wanted to create a site for NME.

>>> --
>>> Using Opera's revolutionary email client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

>> _      _  _     _  _\   /
>> |_)    |_)|_||  || \ |_)Y
>> |_)    |_)|  ||_||_/|  \ |

Re: New website for NME

Hey Hugh,

I've updated the colors (so hopefully it will not be as blinding), and
integrated feedback to improve the content.

I could integrate forums pretty easily. If we wanted to head that
direction, everyone could have their own user account on the website,
which would make it possible to have profile pages, badges and possibly
make it easier to integrate a showcase page (though that isn't hard to do
manually right now). The site is running on a content management system,
so it is fairly easy to update content or add new types of content, like
video players, image galleries, etc.

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 07:19:39 -0700, Gamehaxe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> He he he.  Looks like you will get more feedback than you anticipated :)
>
> I like everything except the BG colour. The colours actually look pretty
> good,
> but I don't think its feasible for a website.
>
> I have quite a few ideas for some website stuff - but I find any web
> stuff takes serious amounts of time and I don't know if I can make
> a commitment.
>
> Some things:
> 1. Doco - some basic dry stuff - probably auto generated, and with notes
>    where it differs from flash.
> 2. Tutorials - these are actually more important than doco, since you
>    can usually refer to the flash doco. I see you have committed to this
>     which is great.
> 3. Examples - similar to tutorials.
>
> 4. Overnight binaries.  I have had some kind offerers of build-servers.
>    What I need on top of this is the ability to pull together the
> binaries
>    from the different build machines (3: machines mac/ios, windows, linux
>    and then the "sdks" which could run on any of these machines) and
>    match them with the svn hx code.
> 5. Forum. On second thoughts, too much work. Ideally this would magically
>    happen without any spam problems.
> 6.  Would be nice to have some way of sharing user projects, but that
>    may be way too hard.
>
> I think haxenme is the logical extension of nekonme as a name and is
> as good 7-letter domain name as you are likely to get.
>
> So in principle, I am happy to support this initiative.
> I am not sure how much time I can devote to it though.
>
> Hugh
>

>> Wow, that was a mistake. Sorry, this was an email that *was not*
>> intended to go out to the mailing list
>>
>> *facehp*
>>

>> On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 03:02:50 -0700, Joshua Granick
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I had time this evening, and felt I wanted to create a site for NME.
>>>
>>> I really, really want your input on this, if you are interested. I
>>> have not announced it to the full Haxe mailing list, and am not
>>> announcing it elsewhere right now, because I really would like your
>>> assistance in making it concise, appealing, and most of all, true to
>>> the project.
>>>
>>> http://www.haxenme.org/
>>>
>>> I also have www.haxenme.com and www.haxenme.info, which redirect to
>>> www.haxenme.org.
>>>
>>> Please give me your feedback, or feel free not to respond if you're
>>> too busy and aren't interested.
>>>
>>> Thank you, I really appreciate your time and all that you guys do.

Re: New website for NME

Awesome! I am glad to hear that the build servers are working. Are iOS,
webOS, Android, Window, Mac and Linux all covered?

You could (possibly) use a simple file copy script, or something more
advanced like SVN to integrate builds from different systems.

I had to install some additional libraries to build 32-bit on a 64-bit
Linux install, but it is possible. I wish that I remembered which
libraries I needed, but you could try and look at installing ia32-libs,
libc6-dev-i386, lib32gcc1 and gcc-multilib, or something similar. I wish I
had written it down when I figured out what I needed :)

There is a forum system that wouldn't be too hard to integrate. It
supports threaded and flat styles for reading the forums, and other cool
stuff.

Let me know if you know of other games or projects we should showcase. I'm
afraid to showcase projects that only compile to Flash, because I think it
is good to show projects that go to the desktop or mobile, since
(technically) building for Flash doesn't rely on NME at all, unless you've
used the install tool :)

I also thought about a wiki, but the site is on a content management
system, so probably it is best to update content directly instead of
adding an additional layer. If we go the route of forums or something
similar, I can allow user profiles, accounts and logins, if there were
some public space for editing. For now I thought that something simple,
compelling and straightforward would benefit the community

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 08:30:11 -0700, Cauê Waneck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hey guys!
>
> very cool site! Except for the bg : )
>
> 4. Overnight binaries.  I have had some kind offerers of build-servers.
>>  What I need on top of this is the ability to pull together the binaries
>>  from the different build machines (3: machines mac/ios, windows, linux
>>  and then the "sdks" which could run on any of these machines) and
>>  match them with the svn hx code.
>>

> yeah, this is on me. I really want to support nme, and we already have
> all
> the build servers running, so.  I've started sketching our own company
> build
> server program and it would be a trivial task to include nme for
> automatic
> builds also (not so trivial because of the compile errors :P ). I'd still
> wouldn't be able to build on linux 32 (I am pretty sure I could build it
> from linux64, but I get some missing libs. Will detail that when I try it
> again!)
>

>> 5. Forum. On second thoughts, too much work. Ideally this would
>> magically
>>  happen without any spam problems.
>>

> You know what would kick some ass? A stackoverflow-kind of site for
> haxe-related questions. Just throwing an idea out : )
>

>> 6.  Would be nice to have some way of sharing user projects, but that
>>  may be way too hard.
>>

> By now maybe just a showcase? Or a wiki?

Re: New website for NME

go2ghana
On 25.08.2011 18:50, Joshua Granick wrote:

> Hey Hugh,
>
> I've updated the colors (so hopefully it will not be as blinding), and
> integrated feedback to improve the content.
>
> I could integrate forums pretty easily. If we wanted to head that
> direction, everyone could have their own user account on the website,
> which would make it possible to have profile pages, badges and
> possibly make it easier to integrate a showcase page (though that
> isn't hard to do manually right now). The site is running on a content
> management system, so it is fairly easy to update content or add new
> types of content, like video players, image galleries, etc.
>

> On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 07:19:39 -0700, Gamehaxe <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> He he he.  Looks like you will get more feedback than you anticipated :)
>>
>> I like everything except the BG colour. The colours actually look
>> pretty good,
>> but I don't think its feasible for a website.
>>
>> I have quite a few ideas for some website stuff - but I find any web
>> stuff takes serious amounts of time and I don't know if I can make
>> a commitment.
>>
>> Some things:
>> 1. Doco - some basic dry stuff - probably auto generated, and with notes
>>    where it differs from flash.
>> 2. Tutorials - these are actually more important than doco, since you
>>    can usually refer to the flash doco. I see you have committed to this
>>     which is great.
>> 3. Examples - similar to tutorials.
>>
>> 4. Overnight binaries.  I have had some kind offerers of build-servers.
>>    What I need on top of this is the ability to pull together the
>> binaries
>>    from the different build machines (3: machines mac/ios, windows,
>> linux
>>    and then the "sdks" which could run on any of these machines) and
>>    match them with the svn hx code.
>> 5. Forum. On second thoughts, too much work. Ideally this would
>> magically
>>    happen without any spam problems.
>> 6.  Would be nice to have some way of sharing user projects, but that
>>    may be way too hard.
>>
>> I think haxenme is the logical extension of nekonme as a name and is
>> as good 7-letter domain name as you are likely to get.
>>
>> So in principle, I am happy to support this initiative.
>> I am not sure how much time I can devote to it though.
>>
>> Hugh
>>

>>> Wow, that was a mistake. Sorry, this was an email that *was not*
>>> intended to go out to the mailing list
>>>
>>> *facehp*

would it be possible to reuse existing haxe forum ore wiki accounts?
Am a little tired of setting up new ones if possible.

Cordially,
Axel

Re: New website for NME

Can you try a black one with off white text... at moment this is still
to heavy on the eye and I think the logo would look better on black
than on brown. Two rows would work well for me... you could have
Projects on the right, then you have visuals to catch user interest.

On 25 Aug 2011, at 16:41, Joshua Granick wrote:

> This is hilarious.
>
> I was *not* expecting so much feedback on the background color :)
>

> Does chocolate look better?
>

> http://www.haxenme.org
>

> On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 05:52:51 -0700, Baluta Cristian <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
>> After a while i see red in front of my eyes, which can't be a good
>> sign.
>>

>> On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 3:06 PM, bruno baudry <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Cool initiative !
>>> Same comment about the Orange bg, not very accessible and hard to
>>> read (for
>>> geezers like me).

>>> --
>>> _      _  _     _  _\   /
>>> |_)    |_)|_||  || \ |_)Y
>>> |_)    |_)|  ||_||_/|  \ |

> Using Opera's revolutionary email client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

Re: New website for NME

singmajesty
Hey Justin,

I relocated the content, so now the projects show up much sooner on the
page. I expect revisions to the design, but imagery will make a big
difference to making it polished. If you (or anyone else!) know of quality
examples of NME, especially ones that have been compiled to at least one
target other than Flash (so that it really is, actually,
NME/cross-platform and not just Haxe Flash) that would be great!

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 11:11:36 -0700, [hidden email]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can you try a black one with off white text... at moment this is still
> to heavy on the eye and I think the logo would look better on black than
> on brown. Two rows would work well for me... you could have Projects on
> the right, then you have visuals to catch user interest.
>

> On 25 Aug 2011, at 16:41, Joshua Granick wrote:
>
>> This is hilarious.
>>
>> I was *not* expecting so much feedback on the background color :)
>>

>> Does chocolate look better?
>>

>> http://www.haxenme.org
>>

>> On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 05:52:51 -0700, Baluta Cristian
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> After a while i see red in front of my eyes, which can't be a good
>>> sign.

>> --Using Opera's revolutionary email client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
>>
>> --haXe - an open source web programming language

Re: New website for NME

Alex Liebert
I can definitely put together some videos- probably this weekend.  For fairness, I'm not sure Aqualux 'counts': it's not an NME project.  I built it a few years ago on as3, and discovered haXe  by chance because of swhx, when I was looking for an alternative to AIR.  NME didn't exist yet.  So just the executable wrapper is haXe, the core is as3.  I wish I could port it but it just depends on too much as3 specific code.

Also this weekend I can build some binaries of Omnom for WebOS and send them over.  It's not production ready just yet (will be finished next thursday) so I'm being careful about what i show publicly in an unfinished state.

Best,

Alex