New blog post: Android, iOS, webOS (and More!) — Cross-Platform Made Easy

New blog post: Android, iOS, webOS (and More!) — Cross-Platform Made Easy

singmajesty
Hey guys,

I just posted a new entry on my blog with instructions for building
Windows, webOS, Android or iOS with the nme install-tool.

http://www.joshuagranick.com/blog/2011/07/14/android-ios-webos-and-more-cross-platform-made-easy/

I am going to try and circle back to finish integrating Flash, Neko and
GPH back in, and of course we want to "battle test" the installer to make
sure that it is as rock solid as possible, and "just works" for each host
platform and target.

I still think that NME can really compete with Adobe AIR if we make the
install process straightforward, easy-to-use and most of all, reliable.
Being able to handle not only the code differences but also the package
and compile differences between platforms is huge.

I also added a nice screenshot with a demo running on Windows 7, the
iPhone simulator, a TouchPad, Veer and an Optimus S

Re: New blog post: Android, iOS, webOS (and More!) — Cross-Platform Made Easy

Raoul Duke
On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Joshua Granick
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I just posted a new entry on my blog with instructions for building Windows,
> webOS, Android or iOS with the nme install-tool.
> http://www.joshuagranick.com/blog/2011/07/14/android-ios-webos-and-more-cross-platform-made-easy/

freaking cool.

Re: New blog post: Android, iOS, webOS (and More!) — Cross-Platform Made Easy

Raphael Harmel
Well done !

Raph

2011/7/15 Raoul Duke <[hidden email]>:

> On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Joshua Granick
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I just posted a new entry on my blog with instructions for building Windows,
>> webOS, Android or iOS with the nme install-tool.
>> http://www.joshuagranick.com/blog/2011/07/14/android-ios-webos-and-more-cross-platform-made-easy/
>
> freaking cool.

Re: New blog post: Android, iOS, webOS (and More!) — Cross-Platform Made Easy

fintan boyle
great work - I'll be using this to get up to speed on NME

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 9:38 AM, Raphael Harmel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Well done !

Raph

2011/7/15 Raoul Duke <[hidden email]>:
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Joshua Granick
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I just posted a new entry on my blog with instructions for building Windows,
>> webOS, Android or iOS with the nme install-tool.
>> http://www.joshuagranick.com/blog/2011/07/14/android-ios-webos-and-more-cross-platform-made-easy/
>
> freaking cool.

Re: New blog post: Android, iOS, webOS (and More!) — Cross-Platform Made Easy

Achmad Aulia Noorhakim
Already halfway, by the time I'm writing this, thanks

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Raphael Harmel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Well done !

Raph

2011/7/15 Raoul Duke <[hidden email]>:
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Joshua Granick
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I just posted a new entry on my blog with instructions for building Windows,
>> webOS, Android or iOS with the nme install-tool.
>> http://www.joshuagranick.com/blog/2011/07/14/android-ios-webos-and-more-cross-platform-made-easy/
>
> freaking cool.

Re: New blog post: Android, iOS, webOS (and More!) — Cross-Platform Made Easy

Raul Ferriz
I get problems on Ubuntu natty.
I installed all required software, but when trying to buil I allways get
following error:
Error : Invalid class name run

Any help?

NME for javascript ?

Eric Priou
Hi NME fans !

NME target nearly all haXe ones.
Not Javascript.
Is Flash the only browser target possible ? feasible ?

Thanks for your answers.
---
Eric Priou aka erixtekila
http://www.ericpriou.me

NME fancy UI components

Eric Priou
Is there any way to add UI components to NME target ?

Thanks.
---
Eric Priou aka erixtekila
http://www.ericpriou.me

Re: NME fancy UI components

Jonathan-17
Aswing is currently trying to support NME & CPP target.
You can have a look at their website for more information.

2011/9/7 Eric Priou <[hidden email]>
Is there any way to add UI components to NME target ?

Thanks.
---
Eric Priou aka erixtekila
http://www.ericpriou.me

Re: NME for javascript ?

Eric Priou
Same API ?
Can I take build an NME project to jeash ?

Thanks.
Le 7 sept. 2011 à 10:54, Andy Li a écrit :

Check jeash :)

Andy

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 4:45 PM, Eric Priou <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi NME fans !

NME target nearly all haXe ones.
Not Javascript.
Is Flash the only browser target possible ? feasible ?

Thanks for your answers.
---
Eric Priou aka erixtekila
http://www.ericpriou.me

---
Eric Priou aka erixtekila

Re: NME fancy UI components

Eric Priou
Aswing is currently trying to support NME & CPP target.
You can have a look at their website for more information.
Ah yes ! Thanks a lot.

---
Eric Priou aka erixtekila

Re: NME for javascript ?

jlm@justinfront.net
Bruno

Did you have any thoughts on Divtastic my work in progress simple js haxe lib, it's sort of based on the assumption you have to move ready made images around than to try actually drawing on canvas, but also the assumption that I can't waste my life working with js mess directly even after its haXified so I add setters round some stuff just to make it easier to work with, and I am not a fan of sprite multilayer inheritance, so I use sort of simple signal approach.  I would like to think about a flash version once I have got it working more logically, but also I would like to get it so I can plug in jeash where needed, but you can do a lot without using canvas.  Need to boot up into windows to try and get it working better with IE, I just have so much to learn about js.

But have to say Jeash is amazing and Niel and friends have done some good work, and I want to use that more too, just I will think twice before porting a flash game.

Cheers ;j

On 7 Sep 2011, at 12:31, Bruno Garcia wrote:

[...]

Dion Whitehead Amago
You can also check out hydrax.  It runs in flash, js, and c++. It's a
game engine, using some of gm2d and nme only when necessary to
implement the low level functionality.

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 7:05 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> really have to think about what your doing it does not have the same power,
> so I would suggest maybe starting quite simple and slowly building towards
> your NME project so you really get a feel for what is feasible, and remember
> to test in several browsers and os platforms without assuming.
> Cheers ;j
> On 7 Sep 2011, at 09:58, Eric Priou wrote:
>
> Same API ?
> Can I take build an NME project to jeash ?
> Thanks.
> Le 7 sept. 2011 à 10:54, Andy Li a écrit :
>
> Check jeash :)
> Andy
>
> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 4:45 PM, Eric Priou <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi NME fans !
>>
>> NME target nearly all haXe ones.
>> Not Javascript.
>> Is Flash the only browser target possible ? feasible ?

Cool, what are your plans for it? Divs are great for games with less
animation, and on mobile browsers. On the other hand, a canvas renderer
is simpler to build, and there's less variance in what the output looks
like in different browsers.

I'm betting that mobile browser canvas performance will eventually
improve (iOS 5 is promising). I've been hacking on a game engine that
uses Flash if available, and otherwise falls back to HTML5:
http://aduros.emufarmers.com/tmp/flambe . I wouldn't recommend it to new
users yet, but the code is worth a peek if you're building something
similar :)

Bruno

On 09/07/2011 05:05 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Bruno
>
> Did you have any thoughts on Divtastic my work in progress simple js
> haxe lib, it's sort of based on the assumption you have to move ready
> made images around than to try actually drawing on canvas, but also
> the assumption that I can't waste my life working with js mess
> directly even after its haXified so I add setters round some stuff
> just to make it easier to work with, and I am not a fan of sprite
> multilayer inheritance, so I use sort of simple signal approach.  I
> would like to think about a flash version once I have got it working
> more logically, but also I would like to get it so I can plug in jeash
> where needed, but you can do a lot without using canvas.  Need to boot
> up into windows to try and get it working better with IE, I just have
> so much to learn about js.
>
> But have to say Jeash is amazing and Niel and friends have done some
> good work, and I want to use that more too, just I will think twice
> before porting a flash game.
>
> Cheers ;j
>
> On 7 Sep 2011, at 12:31, Bruno Garcia wrote:
>
>> This is excellent advice :) Rather than trying to port flash and all
>> of its quirks to JS, it's way easier to pick a subset of
>> functionality you want across all platforms (keeping in mind the
>> lowest common denominator is often JS), build high level abstractions
>> for drawing, input etc. that you code your app to, and then implement
>> those interfaces in each platform you care about.
>>
>> Bruno

>>> Jeash is very powerful and seems fairly robust, but it is a large
>>> overhead supporting flash approach.
>>>
>>> So in theory but I think that each MovieClip or Sprite is a separate
>>> Canvas so you should try to not have lots, and javascript does not
>>> have so much performance, and less is supported in Jeash, if you
>>> work in Javascript you really have to think about what your doing it
>>> does not have the same power, so I would suggest maybe starting
>>> quite simple and slowly building towards your NME project so you
>>> really get a feel for what is feasible, and remember to test in
>>> several browsers and os platforms without assuming.
>>>
>>> Cheers ;j

Re: NME for javascript ?

jlm@justinfront.net
Bruno

That looks good, and very brief look at the library looks like
something I want to look at more closely.

I was just trying to get js target stuff in a form I can build in
without just using flash or canvas since both seem to be potential
client killers, without going down the database, wordpress or html
static approach.  If a user uses canvas then they often should be savy
enough to have flash, so the canvas or flash theory works to target
standards geeks who are not worth keeping happy or iphone where apple
is playing politics which I am not up for supporting despite being on
a mac, anyway divtastic seem to work ok on smart phones.  So seems
fair to get some div stuff working in a form that I can rapid dev for
the IE masses being a flasher then get my site up and then go back to
3d flash stuff. Anyway I will try to get some more complex examples of
mine up so you can see it's fairly easy to use, there is a simple atom
parser in there so should be slow but interesting.

;j