[Neko] Delete, send file to recycling bin

[Neko] Delete, send file to recycling bin

Adrian Cowan
Hi all,

Does neko.FileSystem.deleteFile permanently delete a file as I suspect and if so how might I send a file to the recycling bin instead?

Thanks,
Adrian (Othrayte)

Re: [Neko] Delete, send file to recycling bin

Juan Delgado
Yeah, it does permanently delete it. If you want to move it to the bin
instead, I guess your best bet is finding out the path to the bin
(look in the environment variables) and just move the file there
instead.

Not sure that's all you need nor how it would work across different OSs.

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 3:28 PM, Adrian Cowan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Does neko.FileSystem.deleteFile permanently delete a file as I suspect and
> if so how might I send a file to the recycling bin instead?
>
> Thanks,
> Adrian (Othrayte)

Juan Delgado - Zárate
http://zarate.tv
http://blog.zarate.tv

Re: [Neko] Delete, send file to recycling bin

Baluta Cristian
on osx is home/.Trash/

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 7:54 PM, Juan Delgado <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yeah, it does permanently delete it. If you want to move it to the bin
instead, I guess your best bet is finding out the path to the bin
(look in the environment variables) and just move the file there
instead.

Not sure that's all you need nor how it would work across different OSs.

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 3:28 PM, Adrian Cowan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does neko.FileSystem.deleteFile permanently delete a file as I suspect and
> if so how might I send a file to the recycling bin instead?
>
> Thanks,
> Adrian (Othrayte)

Juan Delgado - Zárate
http://zarate.tv
http://blog.zarate.tv

Băluță Cristian
http://ralcr.com
http://imagin.ro

Re: [Neko] Delete, send file to recycling bin

Júlio César Ködel
It is not so simple in Windows OSes. That would require an API call,
as stated here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/154005
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1062808/how-can-i-move-files-to-the-recycle-bin-in-a-windows-batch-script-or-perl

Otherwise, how can Recycle Bin know to where restore the file in a
Undo operation?

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 2:15 PM, Baluta Cristian <[hidden email]> wrote:

> on osx is home/.Trash/
>
> On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 7:54 PM, Juan Delgado <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Yeah, it does permanently delete it. If you want to move it to the bin
>> instead, I guess your best bet is finding out the path to the bin
>> (look in the environment variables) and just move the file there
>> instead.
>>
>> Not sure that's all you need nor how it would work across different OSs.

>> On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 3:28 PM, Adrian Cowan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > Does neko.FileSystem.deleteFile permanently delete a file as I suspect
>> > and
>> > if so how might I send a file to the recycling bin instead?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Adrian (Othrayte)
>> >
>> > --
>> > haXe - an open source web programming language
>> > http://haxe.org
>> >

>> --
>> Juan Delgado - Zárate
>> http://zarate.tv
>> http://blog.zarate.tv

> Băluță Cristian
> http://ralcr.com
> http://imagin.ro

[]
Júlio César Ködel G.
"Todo mundo está ""pensando"" em deixar um planeta melhor para nossos filhos...
Quando é que se ""pensará"" em deixar filhos melhores para o nosso planeta?"

Re: [Neko] Delete, send file to recycling bin

Justin Donaldson-2
Delete on osx works a bit differently.  If it's a delete from the System drive, it goes to your .Trash folder like you showed.  If it's a delete from any other volume, it goes to the root .Trash folder for that volume...  It's then placed in a corresponding user ID folder of the user that trashed it.  Also, this folder is write protected by the system... so, you'd need authorization to read/write from it.

-Justin

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 10:15 AM, Baluta Cristian <[hidden email]> wrote:
on osx is home/.Trash/

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 7:54 PM, Juan Delgado <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yeah, it does permanently delete it. If you want to move it to the bin
instead, I guess your best bet is finding out the path to the bin
(look in the environment variables) and just move the file there
instead.

Not sure that's all you need nor how it would work across different OSs.

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 3:28 PM, Adrian Cowan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does neko.FileSystem.deleteFile permanently delete a file as I suspect and
> if so how might I send a file to the recycling bin instead?
>
> Thanks,
> Adrian (Othrayte)

Juan Delgado - Zárate
http://zarate.tv
http://blog.zarate.tv

Băluță Cristian
http://ralcr.com
http://imagin.ro

blog: http://www.scwn.net
aim: iujjd
twitter: jjdonald

Re: [Neko] Delete, send file to recycling bin

Adrian Cowan
Thanks for all the responses,

I will only really need this on windows, (should have explained that originally), and only during testing of my program as I wanted to send the files to  the bin to avoid it deleting my files permanently if there is a bug in it as I was working, but I think as it is so difficult that I will just move them to a 'tmp' folder at the root of the drive (and preserve a copy of the folder structure) instead of deleting them. FYI the program will probably include an 'undo' feature in the future so this style may be my only option.

Though it would seem to me that a cross platform vm like neko should be able to make the required calls to send a file to the rc bin.
@Nicolas, do you think this would be possible for inclusion in the nekovm.

Many thanks,
Adrian (Othrayte)

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 8:39 AM, Justin Donaldson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Delete on osx works a bit differently.  If it's a delete from the System drive, it goes to your .Trash folder like you showed.  If it's a delete from any other volume, it goes to the root .Trash folder for that volume...  It's then placed in a corresponding user ID folder of the user that trashed it.  Also, this folder is write protected by the system... so, you'd need authorization to read/write from it.

-Justin

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 10:15 AM, Baluta Cristian <[hidden email]> wrote:
on osx is home/.Trash/

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 7:54 PM, Juan Delgado <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yeah, it does permanently delete it. If you want to move it to the bin
instead, I guess your best bet is finding out the path to the bin
(look in the environment variables) and just move the file there
instead.

Not sure that's all you need nor how it would work across different OSs.

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 3:28 PM, Adrian Cowan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does neko.FileSystem.deleteFile permanently delete a file as I suspect and
> if so how might I send a file to the recycling bin instead?
>
> Thanks,
> Adrian (Othrayte)

Juan Delgado - Zárate
http://zarate.tv
http://blog.zarate.tv

Băluță Cristian
http://ralcr.com
http://imagin.ro

blog: http://www.scwn.net
aim: iujjd
twitter: jjdonald

Re: [Neko] Delete, send file to recycling bin

Adrian Cowan
Ah,

Just noticed that I don't know how to even move or copy a file/folder from haXe/neko.
Is this one of the things that I might need ffi and a separate ndll for?

Thanks,
Adrian (Othrayte)

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 4:55 PM, Adrian Cowan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for all the responses,

I will only really need this on windows, (should have explained that originally), and only during testing of my program as I wanted to send the files to  the bin to avoid it deleting my files permanently if there is a bug in it as I was working, but I think as it is so difficult that I will just move them to a 'tmp' folder at the root of the drive (and preserve a copy of the folder structure) instead of deleting them. FYI the program will probably include an 'undo' feature in the future so this style may be my only option.

Though it would seem to me that a cross platform vm like neko should be able to make the required calls to send a file to the rc bin.
@Nicolas, do you think this would be possible for inclusion in the nekovm.

Many thanks,
Adrian (Othrayte)

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 8:39 AM, Justin Donaldson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Delete on osx works a bit differently.  If it's a delete from the System drive, it goes to your .Trash folder like you showed.  If it's a delete from any other volume, it goes to the root .Trash folder for that volume...  It's then placed in a corresponding user ID folder of the user that trashed it.  Also, this folder is write protected by the system... so, you'd need authorization to read/write from it.

-Justin

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 10:15 AM, Baluta Cristian <[hidden email]> wrote:
on osx is home/.Trash/

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 7:54 PM, Juan Delgado <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yeah, it does permanently delete it. If you want to move it to the bin
instead, I guess your best bet is finding out the path to the bin
(look in the environment variables) and just move the file there
instead.

Not sure that's all you need nor how it would work across different OSs.

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 3:28 PM, Adrian Cowan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does neko.FileSystem.deleteFile permanently delete a file as I suspect and
> if so how might I send a file to the recycling bin instead?
>
> Thanks,
> Adrian (Othrayte)

Juan Delgado - Zárate
http://zarate.tv
http://blog.zarate.tv

Băluță Cristian
http://ralcr.com
http://imagin.ro

blog: http://www.scwn.net
aim: iujjd
twitter: jjdonald

Re: [Neko] Delete, send file to recycling bin

Adrian Cowan
Damn, emailed too soon,

Ok, so I found the neko.io.file.copy() function, but any ideas about moving that dont involve copying and deleting.

FYI: copying and deleting would be impractical for me because some of the files are very large (>10GB).

Regards,
Adrian (Othrayte)

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 11:20 PM, Adrian Cowan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ah,

Just noticed that I don't know how to even move or copy a file/folder from haXe/neko.
Is this one of the things that I might need ffi and a separate ndll for?

Thanks,
Adrian (Othrayte)

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 4:55 PM, Adrian Cowan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for all the responses,

I will only really need this on windows, (should have explained that originally), and only during testing of my program as I wanted to send the files to  the bin to avoid it deleting my files permanently if there is a bug in it as I was working, but I think as it is so difficult that I will just move them to a 'tmp' folder at the root of the drive (and preserve a copy of the folder structure) instead of deleting them. FYI the program will probably include an 'undo' feature in the future so this style may be my only option.

Though it would seem to me that a cross platform vm like neko should be able to make the required calls to send a file to the rc bin.
@Nicolas, do you think this would be possible for inclusion in the nekovm.

Many thanks,
Adrian (Othrayte)

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 8:39 AM, Justin Donaldson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Delete on osx works a bit differently.  If it's a delete from the System drive, it goes to your .Trash folder like you showed.  If it's a delete from any other volume, it goes to the root .Trash folder for that volume...  It's then placed in a corresponding user ID folder of the user that trashed it.  Also, this folder is write protected by the system... so, you'd need authorization to read/write from it.

-Justin

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 10:15 AM, Baluta Cristian <[hidden email]> wrote:
on osx is home/.Trash/

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 7:54 PM, Juan Delgado <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yeah, it does permanently delete it. If you want to move it to the bin
instead, I guess your best bet is finding out the path to the bin
(look in the environment variables) and just move the file there
instead.

Not sure that's all you need nor how it would work across different OSs.

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 3:28 PM, Adrian Cowan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does neko.FileSystem.deleteFile permanently delete a file as I suspect and
> if so how might I send a file to the recycling bin instead?
>
> Thanks,
> Adrian (Othrayte)

Juan Delgado - Zárate
http://zarate.tv
http://blog.zarate.tv

Băluță Cristian
http://ralcr.com
http://imagin.ro

blog: http://www.scwn.net
aim: iujjd
twitter: jjdonald

Re: [Neko] Delete, send file to recycling bin

Benjamin Dasnois
Hi Adrian,

Use neko.FileSystem.rename.

Regards,

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 3:25 PM, Adrian Cowan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Damn, emailed too soon,

Ok, so I found the neko.io.file.copy() function, but any ideas about moving that dont involve copying and deleting.

FYI: copying and deleting would be impractical for me because some of the files are very large (>10GB).

Regards,
Adrian (Othrayte)

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 11:20 PM, Adrian Cowan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ah,

Just noticed that I don't know how to even move or copy a file/folder from haXe/neko.
Is this one of the things that I might need ffi and a separate ndll for?

Thanks,
Adrian (Othrayte)

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 4:55 PM, Adrian Cowan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for all the responses,

I will only really need this on windows, (should have explained that originally), and only during testing of my program as I wanted to send the files to  the bin to avoid it deleting my files permanently if there is a bug in it as I was working, but I think as it is so difficult that I will just move them to a 'tmp' folder at the root of the drive (and preserve a copy of the folder structure) instead of deleting them. FYI the program will probably include an 'undo' feature in the future so this style may be my only option.

Though it would seem to me that a cross platform vm like neko should be able to make the required calls to send a file to the rc bin.
@Nicolas, do you think this would be possible for inclusion in the nekovm.

Many thanks,
Adrian (Othrayte)

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 8:39 AM, Justin Donaldson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Delete on osx works a bit differently.  If it's a delete from the System drive, it goes to your .Trash folder like you showed.  If it's a delete from any other volume, it goes to the root .Trash folder for that volume...  It's then placed in a corresponding user ID folder of the user that trashed it.  Also, this folder is write protected by the system... so, you'd need authorization to read/write from it.

-Justin

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 10:15 AM, Baluta Cristian <[hidden email]> wrote:
on osx is home/.Trash/

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 7:54 PM, Juan Delgado <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yeah, it does permanently delete it. If you want to move it to the bin
instead, I guess your best bet is finding out the path to the bin
(look in the environment variables) and just move the file there
instead.

Not sure that's all you need nor how it would work across different OSs.

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 3:28 PM, Adrian Cowan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does neko.FileSystem.deleteFile permanently delete a file as I suspect and
> if so how might I send a file to the recycling bin instead?
>
> Thanks,
> Adrian (Othrayte)

Juan Delgado - Zárate
http://zarate.tv
http://blog.zarate.tv

Băluță Cristian
http://ralcr.com
http://imagin.ro

blog: http://www.scwn.net
aim: iujjd
twitter: jjdonald

DASNOIS Benjamin
http://www.benjamindasnois.com

Re: [Neko] Delete, send file to recycling bin

Adrian Cowan
Thanks everyone ,

And special thanks to Benjamin.

I was quite surprised that rename is used for this, and it still seems quick sideways to me, but hey, it works.

Now I was thinking of documenting the basic filesystem operations as code snippets, not really a tutorial just for a reference, but I'm not sure where in the wiki to put it? Should they be put up as individual snippets under http://haxe.org/doc/snip maybe with another wiki page pointing to them, or just a list of snippets on one page; anyway, suggestions?

Best,
Adrian (othrayte)

On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 11:24 AM, Benjamin Dasnois <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

instead.

Not sure that's all you need nor how it would work across different OSs.

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 3:28 PM, Adrian Cowan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does neko.FileSystem.deleteFile permanently delete a file as I suspect and
> if so how might I send a file to the recycling bin instead?
>
> Thanks,
> Adrian (Othrayte)

Juan Delgado - Zárate
http://zarate.tv
http://blog.zarate.tv

Băluță Cristian
http://ralcr.com
http://imagin.ro

blog: http://www.scwn.net
aim: iujjd
twitter: jjdonald

DASNOIS Benjamin
http://www.benjamindasnois.com

Re: [Neko] Delete, send file to recycling bin

This is indeed really logical. First you should know that on Linux and Unices one uses "mv" (that is "move") to rename a file. That is because the real name of a file is indeed its full path. So changing its name makes it "move" (in fact there can be more operations involved in the processed...)

About the documentation... snippets are not a documentation. It's up to you and depends on what you do. If it's just something like "Writing to a file", that could certainly be done in a snippet ;)

If you're not sure, you can just write your things somewhere and then give us a link. This way we will be able to tell you depending on what you've done.

Regards,