Nape physics engine

Gustavs
Ey.

A friend is working on a new physics engine.

http://code.google.com/p/nape/

It's ultra.

Re: Nape physics engine

Tony Polinelli
Ultra indeeed!

Thats a huge stack of objects, so fast!

I'd love to see some more tests showing the other features, joints, etc.

will it work for c++ nme do you think?

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 9:20 AM, Gustavs <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ey.

A friend is working on a new physics engine.

http://code.google.com/p/nape/

It's ultra.

Re: Nape physics engine

Simon Krajewski
Wow, that looks really good! Looking forward to trying it out.

You guys have to work on marketable names though. :P

Simon

Gustavs schrieb:
> Ey.
>
> A friend is working on a new physics engine.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/nape/
>
> It's ultra.

Re: Nape physics engine

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
Nah, I love the nape - kinda sexy! Love the work. It seems very stable and super fast. My co-worker pointed out that it almost seems a little too stable sometimes (hard to make the tower fall) but I find it satisfyingly physical.

Look forward to using it!

Gustavs a écrit :
> Ey.
>
> A friend is working on a new physics engine.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/nape/
>
> It's ultra.

Looks great ;)

I would be interested to hear about the author's motivation for using a
preprocessor, since this might impact the way haXe Macro system will be
implemented.

Re: Nape physics engine

Hudson Ansley
Very impressive. Glad to see constraints in a physaxe like project!

Note: it seems the link for the tower demo haxe version is the same as
the link for the AS3 CS4 version...

Also, given the name and capabilities, I was surprised that you did
not mention APE (http://www.cove.org/ape/)
It would be interesting to do some similar demos as APE has for a comparison...

Regards,
Hudson

On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 7:20 PM, Gustavs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ey.
>
> A friend is working on a new physics engine.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/nape/
>
> It's ultra.

Re: Nape physics engine

Gustavs
Tony:
Ought to work with C++. It's vanilla math as all engines (*some* hacks, but nothing slapping the author around some can't fix).

Nicolas:
It's used for mixins and parametrizing various things with constants that haXe doesn't support. Enabling such things (more or less) painlessly is what makes the difference for this engine vs Physaxe. The contact iteration core is exactly the same after all.

Hudson:
Link fixed.

Adding constraints is not hard. The math itself is easy to copy from other engines, and besides that you only need to add some missing bookkeeping to Physaxe. I made a post describing how to do most of it somewhen.

APE is a bit different compared to these Chipmunk-based engines. These focus more on keeping large numbers of bodies stable. APE is simple shapes and constraints. But it should be easy to do the APE demos in these engines.

Re: Nape physics engine

Gustavs
May I add that both of us agree that things like 'public static inline function foo' rather goes against the DRY concept of haXe advertised by Nicolas.

If we're talking 3.0 I would much like

@inline foo

fun #foo (a b : Float)

..instead.

Re: Nape physics engine

Baluta Cristian
as3 version is crashing my safari.

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 4:03 PM, Gustavs <[hidden email]> wrote:
May I add that both of us agree that things like 'public static inline function foo' rather goes against the DRY concept of haXe advertised by Nicolas.

If we're talking 3.0 I would much like

@inline foo

fun #foo (a b : Float)

..instead.

Băluță Cristian
http://ralcr.com
http://imagin.ro

Re: Nape physics engine

luca deltodesco
I'm guessing you are using the pre-release 10.1 flash player beta, in which case yes, compiling through AS3 does cause it to crash. It's been reported on the prerelease forums.

Re: Nape physics engine

luca deltodesco
Could i also ask the OS versions + browser for anyone using the pre-release 10.1 player for which the AS3 version crashes, Adobe's asking.

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 14:20:29 +0000

I'm guessing you are using the pre-release 10.1 flash player beta, in which case yes, compiling through AS3 does cause it to crash. It's been reported on the prerelease forums.

Re: Nape physics engine

Baluta Cristian
Yes, i'm using 10.1 on OSX 10.5.8, and i can try later with an 10.6.2. Tested and crashed on Safari and Firefox.

From: [hidden email]Subject: RE: [haXe] Re: Nape physics engine
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 14:20:29 +0000

I'm guessing you are using the pre-release 10.1 flash player beta, in which case yes, compiling through AS3 does cause it to crash. It's been reported on the prerelease forums.

Re: Nape physics engine

luca deltodesco
Thank you. So far it's crashing both windows 7 and OSX and and on chrome/safari/firefox, so it definately seems to be a problem with the beta. Or perhaps just flash being rubbish as normal and doing something 10.1 doesn't like but 10 just accepted as it's fine in fp10

Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 17:36:34 +0300
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]

From: [hidden email]Subject: RE: [haXe] Re: Nape physics engine
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 14:20:29 +0000

I'm guessing you are using the pre-release 10.1 flash player beta, in which case yes, compiling through AS3 does cause it to crash. It's been reported on the prerelease forums.

Re: Nape physics engine

Tony Polinelli
I tried to get nape working on the new hxcpp nme2 (unreleased) but it has some issues, mainly due to the style of code generated via the preprocessor.

The blocks like this:

({
     //code
});  <- require a block of code that is executed in hxcpp - not sure if this is correct(?)

eg:
({

}){ }  <- this empy block

also i when you have a lot of embedded anonymous blocks like these, i think hxcpp might get a little confused with function naming. I'm not sure. The code generated under UniformSleepSpace.removeObject i couldnt get to compile correctly. A code generator compiling for a code generator - nearly worked tho! ;P

I should get onto more useful work - thought it would be cool to see nape on the iphone tho ;(

Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 17:36:34 +0300

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]

From: [hidden email]Subject: RE: [haXe] Re: Nape physics engine
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 14:20:29 +0000

I'm guessing you are using the pre-release 10.1 flash player beta, in which case yes, compiling through AS3 does cause it to crash. It's been reported on the prerelease forums.

Re: Nape physics engine

luca deltodesco
I 'was' intending on seeing what i'd need to do to get it to compile with hxcpp, but i cannot for the life of me get it working, after going through muliple setting up of environment variables, i'm now getting errors about typeinfo.h not being able to find the include file typeinfo etc.

and argh, i give up! :P

I have a feeling though, that it's not so much the {}'s which should be fine under haxe as far as i'm aware no matter the target.

I have a feeling it's in the cx list stuff, where i often have something like ' list.begin() = value ' which for whatever reason is being allowed, where begin is an inline method, but seems a bit dubious :P

Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 17:36:34 +0300

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]

From: [hidden email]Subject: RE: [haXe] Re: Nape physics engine
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 14:20:29 +0000

Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 17:14:05 +0300
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]

as3 version is crashing my safari.

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 4:03 PM, Gustavs <[hidden email]> wrote:
May I add that both of us agree that things like 'public static inline function foo' rather goes against the DRY concept of haXe advertised by Nicolas.

If we're talking 3.0 I would much like

@inline foo

fun #foo (a b : Float)

..instead.

Băluță Cristian
http://ralcr.com
http://imagin.ro

Băluță Cristian
http://ralcr.com
http://imagin.ro

Get a new e-mail account with Hotmail – Free. Sign-up now.

Re: Nape physics engine

Tony Polinelli
I've found the main issue with hxcpp is this fails to generate the local function:

class Main {
    static function main() {
new Main();
}
public function new()
{
({
//code block fails
var x;
});

Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 17:36:34 +0300

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]

From: [hidden email]Subject: RE: [haXe] Re: Nape physics engine
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 14:20:29 +0000

I'm guessing you are using the pre-release 10.1 flash player beta, in which case yes, compiling through AS3 does cause it to crash. It's been reported on the prerelease forums.

Re: Nape physics engine

Gamehaxe
I have fixed this on the svn version of haxe by simply removing redundant
parenthesis in the output.

Hugh

> [...]
>>
>> fun #foo (a b : Float)
>>
>> ..instead.

>> Băluță Cristian
>> http://ralcr.com
>> http://imagin.ro
>>
>> ------------------------------
>> Get a free e-mail account with Hotmail. Sign-up
>> now.<http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/197222280/direct/01/>
>> ------------------------------
>> Get a free e-mail account with Hotmail. Sign-up
>> now.<http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/197222280/direct/01/>

>> Băluță Cristian
>> http://ralcr.com
>> http://imagin.ro
>>
>> ------------------------------
>> Get a free e-mail account with Hotmail. Sign-up
>> now.<http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/197222280/direct/01/>

>> Tony Polinelli
>> http://touchmypixel.com

>> Get a new e-mail account with Hotmail – Free. Sign-up

Dan Hunter
Apologies if this is a stupid question, but is this windows-only? Not sure how to install caXe if not with the Caxe.exe windows binary.. ?

Re: Nape physics engine

luca deltodesco
i only have a windows binary for caxe, (it's messy and needs doing properly anyways) but there's nothing stopping you from simply using the haxe compilation in which case it's certainly not windows only, unless you're intending on doing lots of modding in which case using the cx source would be nicer (nape is certainly not in a release version yet, lots of changes/additions coming v. soon, so whatever you might want to do might not be needed).