NME and video formats

fintan boyle
Just wondering if NME supports video playback and if so which containers and codecs (specifically for iOS)?

cheers,

Fintan

Re: NME and video formats

Alex Liebert
not currently; what are you interested in doing?

Haven't investigated much but my first inclination is this would be best achieved by overlaying a native video ui object on top of the opengl 'stage'.

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 12:47 AM, fintan boyle <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just wondering if NME supports video playback and if so which containers and codecs (specifically for iOS)?

cheers,

Fintan

Re: NME and video formats

fintan boyle
Hi Alex,

I'm asking because I have a job requiring content created in After Effects to be re-purposed in an iPhone app.  It looks like I'll be going down the route of the Flash iPhone packager and using the after effects materials as embedded flv files on the flash timeline.  I was promoting haXe as a possible plan B for this but thanks for clarifying - I didn't see any video samples in nme or gm2d and suspected this was the case but I did see a library called hxformat (not sure if it applies).  If NME did support flvs then I could have used the Flash authoring tool solely as a layout editor since all the animations are prebaked as video files in After Effects.

thanks

Fintan

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 9:44 PM, Alex Liebert <[hidden email]> wrote:
not currently; what are you interested in doing?

Haven't investigated much but my first inclination is this would be best achieved by overlaying a native video ui object on top of the opengl 'stage'.

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 12:47 AM, fintan boyle <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just wondering if NME supports video playback and if so which containers and codecs (specifically for iOS)?

cheers,

Fintan

Re: NME and video formats

starPause
I just ran into this limitation myself (working in advertising) and am wondering what would be involved in getting video playback on iOS. I realize haXe is open source so I'm assuming the first step is compiling Hugh's NME?

Thanks in advance for satisfying my curiosity =)
Jordan

Re: NME and video formats

Eric Priou
Haven't investigated much but my first inclination is this would be best achieved by overlaying a native video ui object on top of the opengl 'stage'.
That would be nice and crossplatform !

---
Eric Priou aka erixtekila

Re: NME and video formats

Video on mobile devices can be very tricky.
Generally, video decoders do not give up their bitmaps easily.
If you are lucky, you can get them to render to a rectangle for you.
A complete solution would require mac,linux,windows,android,ios
support, and would be a whole project in itself.  Away from mobile
land, codec licensing can be an issue too.

Hugh

> Hi Alex,
>
> I'm asking because I have a job requiring content created in After
> Effects
> to be re-purposed in an iPhone app.  It looks like I'll be going down the
> route of the Flash iPhone packager and using the after effects materials
> as
> embedded flv files on the flash timeline.  I was promoting haXe as a
> possible plan B for this but thanks for clarifying - I didn't see any
> video
> samples in nme or gm2d and suspected this was the case but I did see a
> library called hxformat (not sure if it applies).  If NME did support
> flvs
> then I could have used the Flash authoring tool solely as a layout editor
> since all the animations are prebaked as video files in After Effects.
>
> thanks
>
> Fintan
>
> On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 9:44 PM, Alex Liebert
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> not currently; what are you interested in doing?
>>
>> Haven't investigated much but my first inclination is this would be best
>> achieved by overlaying a native video ui object on top of the opengl
>> 'stage'.
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 12:47 AM, fintan boyle
>> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>>
>>> Just wondering if NME supports video playback and if so which
>>> containers
>>> and codecs (specifically for iOS)?
>>>
>>> cheers,
>>>
>>> Fintan

Re: NME and video formats

fintan boyle
Hi Hugh,

Not sure what you mean by getting them to render to a rectangle.  I have opted to use embedded flvs with the Flash iPhone Packager.

I know it isn't NME-related but are there any measures I can take to help the decoder give up their bitmaps?

cheers,

Fintan

Hi,