Motion-Twin, haXe

A conversation came up at work today regarding haXe over Actionscript 3.
One of the questions was what games have been built using haXe. I was
browsing the Motion-Twin website, and I was wondering if all the games
were using haXe for the Flash and server-side code, or if some of the
games are using traditional AS3? The battles in My Brute and Dino RPG look
really good.

I would love to hear of cool games that were built using haXe, and any
technical details which help substantiate how haXe can perform faster than
Actionscript 3. That's been my experience with the language, but it would
be great to hear from anyone else.

Thank you!

Re: Motion-Twin, haXe

Nicolas Cannasse
Le 28/12/2010 11:10, Joshua Granick a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> A conversation came up at work today regarding haXe over Actionscript 3.
> One of the questions was what games have been built using haXe. I was
> browsing the Motion-Twin website, and I was wondering if all the games
> were using haXe for the Flash and server-side code, or if some of the
> games are using traditional AS3? The battles in My Brute and Dino RPG
> look really good.

All of our games have been built in haXe since 2007.

This includes DinoRPG, Kadokado, MyBrute.com, Die2Nite.com, Muxxu.com
and much more.

Both client (Flash and JS) and server (Neko) sides have been entirely
written in haXe. Not a single line of AS3 :)

Re: Motion-Twin, haXe

MarcWeber
Excerpts from Joshua Granick's message of Tue Dec 28 11:10:11 +0100 2010:
> Thank you!
If you can't wait you could use a decompiler and look for the special
classes used by HaXe Std.

Probably it faster waiting for a different reply though.

The most recent game which was sent to the list I know about was haxball.com

Marc Weber

Re: Motion-Twin, haXe

I just saw that My Brute is available for iPhone. That's cool. Do you have
other mobile games?

Would you be interested in compiling for webOS? I would be happy to
compile on my end, or to share how someone else could compile. As we all
know, the process isn't very difficult, as we are working with haXe :)

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 03:35:44 -0800, Nicolas Cannasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 28/12/2010 11:10, Joshua Granick a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> A conversation came up at work today regarding haXe over Actionscript 3.
>> One of the questions was what games have been built using haXe. I was
>> browsing the Motion-Twin website, and I was wondering if all the games
>> were using haXe for the Flash and server-side code, or if some of the
>> games are using traditional AS3? The battles in My Brute and Dino RPG
>> look really good.
>
> All of our games have been built in haXe since 2007.
>
> This includes DinoRPG, Kadokado, MyBrute.com, Die2Nite.com, Muxxu.com
> and much more.
>
> Both client (Flash and JS) and server (Neko) sides have been entirely
> written in haXe. Not a single line of AS3 :)
>
> Best,

Re: Motion-Twin, haXe

Simon Krajewski
  I was working on some Worms/Gunbound clone last year where
unfortunately I never finished the server application. You can see the
client made in haxe here:

http://impiety.simn.de/blast/interface/Blast2.html

It might load a while because the maps are pretty big. Afterwards you
can scroll by moving the cursor to the border of the client, change
weapons by clicking your character and charge to fire by holding down
the mouse button.

The water at the bottom actually uses really complex calculations that
are working on flash.Memory, so it couldn't have been done without haxe.
Sadly, the visuals don't really show the power of the fluid solver (it
was supposed to react to incoming projectiles and stuff, but finding the
right parameters for the simluation killed me in the end). You can see a
"gases" version here:
http://impiety.simn.de/blast/Fluids3.swf
Click once inside, press spacebar once, then drag and drop near the blue
stuff at the bottom.

I never really had any brilliant idea how to use this as core part of
gameplay for something, but there might be some potential and it
definitely wouldn't be possible without haxe and flash.Memory.

Regards
Simon

Am 2010/12/28 11:10, schrieb Joshua Granick:

> Hi,
>
> A conversation came up at work today regarding haXe over Actionscript
> 3. One of the questions was what games have been built using haXe. I
> was browsing the Motion-Twin website, and I was wondering if all the
> games were using haXe for the Flash and server-side code, or if some
> of the games are using traditional AS3? The battles in My Brute and
> Dino RPG look really good.
>
> I would love to hear of cool games that were built using haXe, and any
> technical details which help substantiate how haXe can perform faster
> than Actionscript 3. That's been my experience with the language, but
> it would be great to hear from anyone else.
>
> Thank you!

Re: Motion-Twin, haXe

Simon Krajewski
  Oh and I'm using physaxe for projectile calculations and hit
detection. I suppose there are equally good physics engines in AS3, but
physaxe really had almost everything I needed (I just had to convert my
background images into a quadtree to hit test against it).

Am 2010/12/28 14:25, schrieb Simon Krajewski:

>  I was working on some Worms/Gunbound clone last year where
> unfortunately I never finished the server application. You can see the
> client made in haxe here:
>
> http://impiety.simn.de/blast/interface/Blast2.html
>
> It might load a while because the maps are pretty big. Afterwards you
> can scroll by moving the cursor to the border of the client, change
> weapons by clicking your character and charge to fire by holding down
> the mouse button.
>
> The water at the bottom actually uses really complex calculations that
> are working on flash.Memory, so it couldn't have been done without
> haxe. Sadly, the visuals don't really show the power of the fluid
> solver (it was supposed to react to incoming projectiles and stuff,
> but finding the right parameters for the simluation killed me in the
> end). You can see a "gases" version here:
> http://impiety.simn.de/blast/Fluids3.swf
> Click once inside, press spacebar once, then drag and drop near the
> blue stuff at the bottom.
>
> I never really had any brilliant idea how to use this as core part of
> gameplay for something, but there might be some potential and it
> definitely wouldn't be possible without haxe and flash.Memory.
>
> Regards
> Simon
>
> Am 2010/12/28 11:10, schrieb Joshua Granick:
>> Hi,
>>
>> A conversation came up at work today regarding haXe over Actionscript
>> 3. One of the questions was what games have been built using haXe. I
>> was browsing the Motion-Twin website, and I was wondering if all the
>> games were using haXe for the Flash and server-side code, or if some
>> of the games are using traditional AS3? The battles in My Brute and
>> Dino RPG look really good.
>>
>> I would love to hear of cool games that were built using haXe, and
>> any technical details which help substantiate how haXe can perform
>> faster than Actionscript 3. That's been my experience with the
>> language, but it would be great to hear from anyone else.
>>
>> Thank you!

Re: Motion-Twin, haXe

alexander.konotop
The game is wonderful!
Do you still want to finish the server-side and make a real gameplay?
I have experience of writing server-side part for social networking
games. So we could finish it together if You want.

В Tue, 28 Dec 2010 14:25:03 +0100
Simon Krajewski <[hidden email]> пишет:

>   I was working on some Worms/Gunbound clone last year where
> unfortunately I never finished the server application. You can see
> the client made in haxe here:
>
> http://impiety.simn.de/blast/interface/Blast2.html
>
> It might load a while because the maps are pretty big. Afterwards you
> can scroll by moving the cursor to the border of the client, change
> weapons by clicking your character and charge to fire by holding down
> the mouse button.
>
> The water at the bottom actually uses really complex calculations
> that are working on flash.Memory, so it couldn't have been done
> without haxe. Sadly, the visuals don't really show the power of the
> fluid solver (it was supposed to react to incoming projectiles and
> stuff, but finding the right parameters for the simluation killed me
> in the end). You can see a "gases" version here:
> http://impiety.simn.de/blast/Fluids3.swf
> Click once inside, press spacebar once, then drag and drop near the
> blue stuff at the bottom.
>
> I never really had any brilliant idea how to use this as core part of
> gameplay for something, but there might be some potential and it
> definitely wouldn't be possible without haxe and flash.Memory.
>
> Regards
> Simon
>
> Am 2010/12/28 11:10, schrieb Joshua Granick:
> > Hi,
> >
> > A conversation came up at work today regarding haXe over
> > Actionscript 3. One of the questions was what games have been built
> > using haXe. I was browsing the Motion-Twin website, and I was
> > wondering if all the games were using haXe for the Flash and
> > server-side code, or if some of the games are using traditional
> > AS3? The battles in My Brute and Dino RPG look really good.
> >
> > I would love to hear of cool games that were built using haXe, and
> > any technical details which help substantiate how haXe can perform
> > faster than Actionscript 3. That's been my experience with the
> > language, but it would be great to hear from anyone else.
> >
> > Thank you!

Re: Motion-Twin, haXe

Baluta Cristian
Simon, unfortunately i can see almost nothing in your swf but fluidsolver is fantastic http://blog.inspirit.ru/?p=248
I was trying to port it from as3 about a year ago but without success, how did you used it? as a lib? If you have it ported would be great to share, i still want to try it.

2010/12/28 Alexander Konotop <[hidden email]>
The game is wonderful!
Do you still want to finish the server-side and make a real gameplay?
I have experience of writing server-side part for social networking
games. So we could finish it together if You want.

В Tue, 28 Dec 2010 14:25:03 +0100
Simon Krajewski <[hidden email]> пишет:

>   I was working on some Worms/Gunbound clone last year where
> unfortunately I never finished the server application. You can see
> the client made in haxe here:
>
> http://impiety.simn.de/blast/interface/Blast2.html
>
> It might load a while because the maps are pretty big. Afterwards you
> can scroll by moving the cursor to the border of the client, change
> weapons by clicking your character and charge to fire by holding down
> the mouse button.
>
> The water at the bottom actually uses really complex calculations
> that are working on flash.Memory, so it couldn't have been done
> without haxe. Sadly, the visuals don't really show the power of the
> fluid solver (it was supposed to react to incoming projectiles and
> stuff, but finding the right parameters for the simluation killed me
> in the end). You can see a "gases" version here:
> http://impiety.simn.de/blast/Fluids3.swf
> Click once inside, press spacebar once, then drag and drop near the
> blue stuff at the bottom.
>
> I never really had any brilliant idea how to use this as core part of
> gameplay for something, but there might be some potential and it
> definitely wouldn't be possible without haxe and flash.Memory.
>
> Regards
> Simon
>
> Am 2010/12/28 11:10, schrieb Joshua Granick:
> > Hi,
> >
> > A conversation came up at work today regarding haXe over
> > Actionscript 3. One of the questions was what games have been built
> > using haXe. I was browsing the Motion-Twin website, and I was
> > wondering if all the games were using haXe for the Flash and
> > server-side code, or if some of the games are using traditional
> > AS3? The battles in My Brute and Dino RPG look really good.
> >
> > I would love to hear of cool games that were built using haXe, and
> > any technical details which help substantiate how haXe can perform
> > faster than Actionscript 3. That's been my experience with the
> > language, but it would be great to hear from anyone else.
> >
> > Thank you!

Băluță Cristian
http://ralcr.com
http://imagin.ro

Re: Motion-Twin, haXe

Simon Krajewski
My fluid solver is a port of Jos Stam's paper on that topic:
http://www.dgp.toronto.edu/people/stam/reality/Research/pdf/GDC03.pdf

In its original C++ version, it uses different arrays for density, u and v velocity and their previous values. I simply allocate a big chunk of flash.Memory (width * height * 6) and save all six offsets in int variables. Addressing them is then just a matter of integer addition and Memory.getDouble/Memory.setDouble, which makes it pretty fast. I can look for my fluid solver class if you're interested, but I never managed to visualize it in a beautiful way like in that link you posted. I just draw blue pixels in a big BitmapData object.

Regards
Simon

Am 2010/12/28 16:06, schrieb Baluta Cristian:
Simon, unfortunately i can see almost nothing in your swf but fluidsolver is fantastic http://blog.inspirit.ru/?p=248
I was trying to port it from as3 about a year ago but without success, how did you used it? as a lib? If you have it ported would be great to share, i still want to try it.

2010/12/28 Alexander Konotop <[hidden email]>
The game is wonderful!
Do you still want to finish the server-side and make a real gameplay?
I have experience of writing server-side part for social networking
games. So we could finish it together if You want.

В Tue, 28 Dec 2010 14:25:03 +0100
Simon Krajewski <[hidden email]> пишет:

>   I was working on some Worms/Gunbound clone last year where
> unfortunately I never finished the server application. You can see
> the client made in haxe here:
>
> http://impiety.simn.de/blast/interface/Blast2.html
>
> It might load a while because the maps are pretty big. Afterwards you
> can scroll by moving the cursor to the border of the client, change
> weapons by clicking your character and charge to fire by holding down
> the mouse button.
>
> The water at the bottom actually uses really complex calculations
> that are working on flash.Memory, so it couldn't have been done
> without haxe. Sadly, the visuals don't really show the power of the
> fluid solver (it was supposed to react to incoming projectiles and
> stuff, but finding the right parameters for the simluation killed me
> in the end). You can see a "gases" version here:
> http://impiety.simn.de/blast/Fluids3.swf
> Click once inside, press spacebar once, then drag and drop near the
> blue stuff at the bottom.
>
> I never really had any brilliant idea how to use this as core part of
> gameplay for something, but there might be some potential and it
> definitely wouldn't be possible without haxe and flash.Memory.
>
> Regards
> Simon
>
> Am 2010/12/28 11:10, schrieb Joshua Granick:
> > Hi,
> >
> > A conversation came up at work today regarding haXe over
> > Actionscript 3. One of the questions was what games have been built
> > using haXe. I was browsing the Motion-Twin website, and I was
> > wondering if all the games were using haXe for the Flash and
> > server-side code, or if some of the games are using traditional
> > AS3? The battles in My Brute and Dino RPG look really good.
> >
> > I would love to hear of cool games that were built using haXe, and
> > any technical details which help substantiate how haXe can perform
> > faster than Actionscript 3. That's been my experience with the
> > language, but it would be great to hear from anyone else.
> >
> > Thank you!

Băluță Cristian
http://ralcr.com
http://imagin.ro

Re: Motion-Twin, haXe

Simon Krajewski

thank you for your offer. The server component was not the part that
kept me from completing it though. Collision handling of characters
against arbitrary background images turned out to be a nightmare. For
every configuration of the collision parameters, I would find a scenario
where everything just blew up with the characters bouncing of two
opposing walls indefinitely and things like that. I concluded that the
visual representation of the characters just wouldn't work with
complicated physics and since a lot of work had already been done for
that look (check out http://impiety.simn.de/blast/interface/Blast.html
to see the character creator with all the body and clothes parts. I
think it even still carries over to the game after saving) I dropped the
whole project.

Simon