Merge node.js into haxe std?

Dion Whitehead Amago
In the interests of maintainability and avoid duplicating efforts, can
we merge node.js platform code into the main haxe std?

A bit of background, since node.js is quite new:
Blackdog (https://github.com/blackdog66/bdog-node) and Tong
(https://github.com/tong/hxnodejs.git) have both created the typedefs
and classes to write javascript for Node.js.  Node.js is an excellent
platform for server side haxe development.  It's incredibly easy to
get up and running, extremely performant, and there are plenty of
third party libraries solving various problems such as authentication.

While node.js is relatively new, it's gathered a lot of momentum in a
short time, and it would be in the interests of the haxe community if
we make it an official (or whatever) haxe platform.  Most of the work
for this has already been done.

Currently, to use node.js you have to define a different haxe std
location.  While this works, you cannot use macros (with Tongs version
anyway) unless you merge the nodejs classes into std, and keeping
different versions of the std library is a pain, especially if you
want some new feature or need to use a current version of haxe for
some other reason.

Thoughts?

Dion

Re: Merge node.js into haxe std?

Nicolas Cannasse
Le 04/06/2011 06:58, Dion Amago a écrit :

> In the interests of maintainability and avoid duplicating efforts, can
> we merge node.js platform code into the main haxe std?
>
> A bit of background, since node.js is quite new:
> Blackdog (https://github.com/blackdog66/bdog-node) and Tong
> (https://github.com/tong/hxnodejs.git) have both created the typedefs
> and classes to write javascript for Node.js.  Node.js is an excellent
> platform for server side haxe development.  It's incredibly easy to
> get up and running, extremely performant, and there are plenty of
> third party libraries solving various problems such as authentication.
>
> While node.js is relatively new, it's gathered a lot of momentum in a
> short time, and it would be in the interests of the haxe community if
> we make it an official (or whatever) haxe platform.  Most of the work
> for this has already been done.
>
> Currently, to use node.js you have to define a different haxe std
> location.  While this works, you cannot use macros (with Tongs version
> anyway) unless you merge the nodejs classes into std, and keeping
> different versions of the std library is a pain, especially if you
> want some new feature or need to use a current version of haxe for
> some other reason.

What I propose is the following :

a) submit a patch which adds #if nodejs in haxe Std library classes
(should change only a few minor things)

b) provide the full nodejs api through haXelib "nodejs" library.

This way people only have to "haxelib install nodejs" and then use "-lib
nodejs" in their project (including the library also add a -D nodejs
automagically)

Re: Merge node.js into haxe std?

Andy Li
I don't have much opinion on merging nodejs, since I never really tried it.
But I think haxe should merge AIR API, as it is now playing a big part of the Flash Platform.
Maybe for haxe 3's sys package, these idea can be considered together.

Best,
Andy