Making money by providing haXe training

Ron Wheeler
I have been a long time user of MTASC and haXe and I know that there is
a need for training and coaching for haXe.
This forum and the haXe web site are tremendous sources of help for new
users but the question about finding a way to improve training and
adoption of haXe has not been resolved.

webinars in support of their project management training, we built a
zero administration webinar registration system that handles the
administration and registration process in a low cost way that allows
people to offer paid webinars without having to invest a lot up front or
having to provide a registration infrastructure.
This removes a lot of the risk involved in setting up a series of
training seminars.

My question is:

Is there a need for training or coaching that will allow the experts
here to run webinars with an audience that will at least pay for their time?

Are there topics that would attract an audience of 20+ people willing to
pay $10-$20 each for a 30-40 minute session?

Are there experts here that would be willing to offer these sessions?

We now have a vehicle that can make this worthwhile and yet not
expensive for the students.

I think that it can also help people get started out on the right path
and take advantage of the more advanced features of haXe.

Ron

Re: Making money by providing haXe training

MarcWeber
The problem about HaXe is that its not enough to know the language
specification.

You also have to have some deeper knowledge about the
targetplatform (PHP,JS, C,neko) because there are still some subtle
differences..

So its easy to provide a webinar for the HaXe language. But to be a
skilled HaXe programmer you also have to know Flash or JS inside out so
that you can interface with existing libraries.
If you try to provide webinars for this you'll have a lot more work.

> Are there topics that would attract an audience of 20+ people willing to
> pay $10-$20 each for a 30-40 minute session?
>
> Are there experts here that would be willing to offer these sessions?

I could give training sessions on how to use Vim to code HaXe
efficiently
(tags, compile on buf write, completions, ...)

 But you're right - I also see the market. So I'd like to start a
 project which offers practical programming exercises by using a web
 based shell on a real linux account - HaXe training only being one part
 of it.

 So if you're really interested in setting this up consider joining -
 because I neither have skills nor time to get all done myself.

 I've seen one request for Scala training on the Scala mailinglist.
 And I guess there are lots more potential users.

 Yours
 Marc Weber

Re: Making money by providing haXe training

I think there would be a lot of takers for Android/IPhone, getting the
setup right and understanding best use is probably tricky.

On 21 Feb 2011, at 22:11, Ron Wheeler wrote:

> I have been a long time user of MTASC and haXe and I know that there
> is a need for training and coaching for haXe.
> This forum and the haXe web site are tremendous sources of help for
> new users but the question about finding a way to improve training
> and adoption of haXe has not been resolved.

> webinars in support of their project management training, we built a
> zero administration webinar registration system that handles the
> administration and registration process in a low cost way that
> allows people to offer paid webinars without having to invest a lot
> up front or having to provide a registration infrastructure.
> This removes a lot of the risk involved in setting up a series of
> training seminars.
>
> My question is:
>
> Is there a need for training or coaching that will allow the experts
> here to run webinars with an audience that will at least pay for
> their time?
>
> Are there topics that would attract an audience of 20+ people
> willing to pay $10-$20 each for a 30-40 minute session?
>
> Are there experts here that would be willing to offer these sessions?
>
> We now have a vehicle that can make this worthwhile and yet not
> expensive for the students.
>
> I think that it can also help people get started out on the right
> path and take advantage of the more advanced features of haXe.
>
> Ron

Re: Making money by providing haXe training

Tony Polinelli
yes - i think it would be great to get some advertiding + education for nme. I'll have to get around to doing some blogs too ;P

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 12:01 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think there would be a lot of takers for Android/IPhone, getting the setup right and understanding best use is probably tricky.

On 21 Feb 2011, at 22:11, Ron Wheeler wrote:

I have been a long time user of MTASC and haXe and I know that there is a need for training and coaching for haXe.
This forum and the haXe web site are tremendous sources of help for new users but the question about finding a way to improve training and adoption of haXe has not been resolved.

In response to a company that wanted to find a way to offer low cost webinars in support of their project management training, we built a zero administration webinar registration system that handles the administration and registration process in a low cost way that allows people to offer paid webinars without having to invest a lot up front or having to provide a registration infrastructure.
This removes a lot of the risk involved in setting up a series of training seminars.

My question is:

Is there a need for training or coaching that will allow the experts here to run webinars with an audience that will at least pay for their time?

Are there topics that would attract an audience of 20+ people willing to pay $10-$20 each for a 30-40 minute session?

Are there experts here that would be willing to offer these sessions?

We now have a vehicle that can make this worthwhile and yet not expensive for the students.

I think that it can also help people get started out on the right path and take advantage of the more advanced features of haXe.

Ron

Re: Making money by providing haXe training

Ron Wheeler
On 21/02/2011 6:42 PM, Franco Ponticelli wrote:
Hi Ron,
I am always interested in improving the haXe audience, so let me know if I can help somehow.
I guess that there is a bit of the chicken and the egg problem.
If we have never done any webinars, how can we measure the demand?

How many people have downloaded haXe and are developing with it?

Are there topics that lend themselves to an interactive session? People might be asked to do some reading in advance and to have their problem in the area ready for discussion.

Is there a sufficient group wanting to do Android to make up a reasonable class.
Any other topics that come up reasonably often?
Are there enough new downloads to make up an introductory class that ran every week or twice a month?

If the cost is $20 for a 40 minute session, would that draw enough of an audience to make it worthwhile for someone to prepare and present the material?
Clearly, if 100 people show up, it is a nice day's work, if 5 people show up it is not a business but is a nice way to supplement a consulting business.

In both cases, it should help make haXe more accessible and more interesting to corporations that need to train teams of developers.

The only fixed cost is an annual Centra license which costs  $129 per month.

Ron

Franco