[Mac, performance related] Finally solved an old problem

[Mac, performance related] Finally solved an old problem

Rezmason
Hi all,

Back in September I complained to the list about "compile time inconsistency" on my Mac– that the compiler was very fast, but once in a while it was very slow. Eventually I isolated the problem to my machine, and not to haXe, so I stopped bothering you all.

But until five minutes ago, the problem persisted. Since I expect that a lot of us are Mac users, I wanted to post what I found.

When I was compiling haXe code, a process called mDNSResponder was interrupting the compilation, reading the .hx files and attempting to resolve strings from those files into IP addresses– as if they were domain names. Sometimes the DNS resolver would be able to quickly dismiss these requests, but other times the resolver would refer to my ISP's resolver, hence the major slow-down.

mDNSResponder seems to be associated with Bonjour, but that service isn't the culprit. The culprit is "Back to My Mac", an option in the MobileMe preference pane. After turning that off, all my problems went away.

I assume that almost nobody on this list uses MobileMe, but if you do, and you've been frustrated with the time that some processes take to run, try turning off Back to My Mac and see if there's any noticeable difference.

Thanks again for letting me pester you guys back in September about this!

-Jeremy

On Mar 7, 2011, at 7:32 PM, Justin Donaldson wrote:

> That is weird... were you editing files remotely?
>
> -Justin

No, all the files were local. I'm very curious (and angry) about Apple's reasons for reading local files, identifying potential domains and trying to resolve them.

Re: [Mac, performance related] Finally solved an old problem

Jordo Odroj
I am very disappointed as well. I want all of these types of processes to die. Anything installed from Adobe basically leaves phantom processes all over your system as well. Unfortunately, I love OS X/mac.

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 8:00 PM, Jeremy Sachs <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mar 7, 2011, at 7:32 PM, Justin Donaldson wrote:

> That is weird... were you editing files remotely?
>
> -Justin

No, all the files were local. I'm very curious (and angry) about Apple's reasons for reading local files, identifying potential domains and trying to resolve them.

Re: [Mac, performance related] Finally solved an old problem

Dion Whitehead Amago
I've had similar problems before.  The compiler was slow only
sometimes, and only when I worked in internet cafe's.  It ended up
being a similar problem, related to the mac OS searching for files,
and for some reason checking the internet for those files.  Some
internet connections (e.g. at cafe's) don't give you a 404 error,
instead they take you to their login page.  So the file resolver gets
confused, because the request didn't return a definitive "no".  I
can't find the original blog post that explained the technical side of
this exactly, I'm pulling this from memory.  Nevertheless, I had
similar problems, and used a similar solution.

Dion