Looking for a profiler

Renaud Bardet
Hi list,

I'd like to know if someone found a way of profiling/debugging a flash/haxe application

Currently I use the deMonsterDebugger (http://demonsterdebugger.com/),
wich is an air application talking directly to yours by an xml socket.
It's great if you want a snapshot view of your app, as it provide a tree view of object references
throught attributes from a root object ;
it brings other fun stuffs such as runtime modification of basic types attributes and call of
some member functions, but it's only usefull once in a while ;
it's also a very convenient trace console when developing in restrictive domains such as facebook plateform.

But I miss more serious profiling stuffs such as function call traces, process use, and event listener dump,
and well, pretty much all flex profiler can do.

If you have any experience to share, thanks in advance

Cheers,

Renaud

--
Renaud Bardet - Développeur
Succubus Interactive

Re: Looking for a profiler

Jake Lewis
I havent managed to get Flex to profile a haxe generated swf even with -fdb in the haxe command line.

What I have done is compile the haxe out to as3 source and then compile that with mxmlc -debug and profile that.

Its far from perfect: no comments, the converted code is a little obfuscated, there are often little compilation problems in the as3 code, and you cant use the Flash10 Memory class
There are also likely to be performance differences between the true haxe and the as3 version, particularly if you use a lot of inline methods.

Better than nothing though.  Jake
On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 1:29 PM, Renaud Bardet <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Chris Hecker

Has anybody tried using the "new" profiler apis?

Chris

Jake Lewis wrote:

> I havent managed to get Flex to profile a haxe generated swf even with
> -fdb in the haxe command line.
>
> What I have done is compile the haxe out to as3 source and then compile
> that with mxmlc -debug and profile that.
>
> Its far from perfect: no comments, the converted code is a little
> obfuscated, there are often little compilation problems in the as3 code,
> and you cant use the Flash10 Memory class
> There are also likely to be performance differences between the true
> haxe and the as3 version, particularly if you use a lot of inline methods.
>
> Better than nothing though.  Jake
> On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 1:29 PM, Renaud Bardet <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi list,
>
>     I'd like to know if someone found a way of profiling/debugging a
>     flash/haxe application
>
>     Currently I use the deMonsterDebugger (http://demonsterdebugger.com/),
>     wich is an air application talking directly to yours by an xml socket.
>     It's great if you want a snapshot view of your app, as it provide a
>     tree view of object references
>     throught attributes from a root object ;
>     it brings other fun stuffs such as runtime modification of basic
>     types attributes and call of
>     some member functions, but it's only usefull once in a while ;
>     it's also a very convenient trace console when developing in
>     restrictive domains such as facebook plateform.
>
>     But I miss more serious profiling stuffs such as function call
>     traces, process use, and event listener dump,
>     and well, pretty much all flex profiler can do.
>
>     If you have any experience to share, thanks in advance
>
>     Cheers,
>
>     Renaud
>
>     --
>     Renaud Bardet - Développeur
>     Succubus Interactive
>     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     --
>
>     --
>     http://haxe.org <http://haxe.org/>

Re: Looking for a profiler

Renaud Bardet
Hi,

Thanks Jake for the tip, I didn't think about generating as3, it's surely not the best
we could hope but it's a start

I have no -fdb arg in my version (2.04), I tried with -debug but got the same message
when profiling in flex as if there where no debug infos : "Profiling can only be performed on the debug version of an application"
(well I'm not sure of what -debug does but I get a 5% augmentation of my output file size with it so it has to do something)

Chris, are you refering to that post ?
-> http://lists.motion-twin.com/pipermail/haxe/2007-August/011362.html

Did you try it ?

Cheers,

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 1:29 PM, Renaud Bardet <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

   Hi list,

   I'd like to know if someone found a way of profiling/debugging a
   flash/haxe application

   Currently I use the deMonsterDebugger (http://demonsterdebugger.com/),
   wich is an air application talking directly to yours by an xml socket.
   It's great if you want a snapshot view of your app, as it provide a
   tree view of object references
   throught attributes from a root object ;
   it brings other fun stuffs such as runtime modification of basic
   types attributes and call of
   some member functions, but it's only usefull once in a while ;
   it's also a very convenient trace console when developing in
   restrictive domains such as facebook plateform.

   But I miss more serious profiling stuffs such as function call
   traces, process use, and event listener dump,
   and well, pretty much all flex profiler can do.

   If you have any experience to share, thanks in advance

   Cheers,

   Renaud

   --    Renaud Bardet - Développeur
   Succubus Interactive
   [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

   http://haxe.org <http://haxe.org/>

Renaud Bardet - Développeur
Succubus Interactive

Re: Looking for a profiler

Jake Lewis
>>I have no -fdb arg in my version (2.04), I tried with -debug but got the same message
my bad,  that should by

-D fdb
as well as -debug

I've just got this to work directly for profiling of the haxe generated swf ( I still cant get debugging to work though), so you should be good to go.

haxe 2.04
Firefox 2.0.0.20
Flash Player WIN 10,0,32,18 debug
Flex 3

Jake

Jake Lewis wrote:
I havent managed to get Flex to profile a haxe generated swf even with -fdb in the haxe command line.
 What I have done is compile the haxe out to as3 source and then compile that with mxmlc -debug and profile that.
 Its far from perfect: no comments, the converted code is a little obfuscated, there are often little compilation problems in the as3 code, and you cant use the Flash10 Memory class
There are also likely to be performance differences between the true haxe and the as3 version, particularly if you use a lot of inline methods.
 Better than nothing though.  Jake
On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 1:29 PM, Renaud Bardet <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

   Hi list,

   I'd like to know if someone found a way of profiling/debugging a
   flash/haxe application

   Currently I use the deMonsterDebugger (http://demonsterdebugger.com/),
   wich is an air application talking directly to yours by an xml socket.
   It's great if you want a snapshot view of your app, as it provide a
   tree view of object references
   throught attributes from a root object ;
   it brings other fun stuffs such as runtime modification of basic
   types attributes and call of
   some member functions, but it's only usefull once in a while ;
   it's also a very convenient trace console when developing in
   restrictive domains such as facebook plateform.

   But I miss more serious profiling stuffs such as function call
   traces, process use, and event listener dump,
   and well, pretty much all flex profiler can do.

   If you have any experience to share, thanks in advance

   Cheers,

   Renaud

   --    Renaud Bardet - Développeur
   Succubus Interactive
   [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

   http://haxe.org <http://haxe.org/>

Renaud Bardet - Développeur
Succubus Interactive

Re: Looking for a profiler

Chris Hecker

> Chris, are you refering to that post ? ->
> http://lists.motion-twin.com/pipermail/haxe/2007-August/011362.html
> Did you try it ?

Yeah, or here:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AS3LCR/Flash_10.0/flash/sampler/package.html

I haven't tried it, I stopped working on flash stuff before I got around
to it, but if I start again I'll take a look.  I would have figured
somebody had played with it.  It looks like there was a brief thread
last year:

http://lists.motion-twin.com/pipermail/haxe/2008-December/021401.html

Chris