Load image from external server with NME for CPP target?

Re: Crikey

Jordo Odroj
A couple of thoughts:
1. It's really hard for a new or prospective user to really tell how
active and awesome the HaXe community is. This is a huge selling point
of any technology. In my opinion, Haxe is *THE MOST* underrated web
development technology in existence. I see huge potential for it, but
people might get immediately turned away due to lack of a nice online
presence.
2. Maybe there is a plugin that allows all of our mailing list posts
to be automatically put on the forum under a "Compiler List" topic. No
need to create an account for anyone new or old - your email *is* your
account. No one wants to create a new account anywhere just to ask a
simple question.

Jordo

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 2:28 PM, Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> There's an api so it would be possible to list popular/featured haxe related questions and people somewhere on the haXe site:
>> http://stackapps.com/questions/1/api-documentation-and-help
>>
>> -Justin
>>
>> On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 8:03 AM, Trevor Burton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> i've been on a few mailing lists where forums have been proposed and they never seem to take off. The mailing list always seems to remain the first port of call for questions. Not entirely sure why, would probably make for an interesting study.
>>
>> As long as there's a simple interface for searching the list archives i don't think it makes much difference - as has been mentioned mail clients usually allow you to filter messages. the majority of people post solutions to their problems if they aren't suggested in the thread, so it makes a good archive.
>>
>> If it could be trawled for common themes to threads that might make a good FAQ or troubleshooting list

>> On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 2:55 PM, Hugh Sanderson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I think it is just a momentum thing.
>> I must admit that while I think a forum format would make
>> it easier for me to mentally filter topics, I use the mailing
>> list almost exclusively.  Perhaps the best way the get the forum
>> more active would be to kill the mailing list.
>>

>> Hugh
>>

>> Jordo
>>

>> Does anyone know why the forum never really took
>> off?
>>

>> It's been quite active recently, I think it's just building slowly but it started long after mailing list so regular haXe users tend to ask the mailing list, and since there are not so many experts using it we have to point them to the mailing list.
>>
>> But if haXe grows it will take off, maybe when it grows bigger it needs a new format but at the moment simple is fine, it allows us to catch new users and provide some initial assistance and guidance on getting started or where to look.
>>
>> It's fairly tricky to have a good forum there are many bad ones or seemingly empty, but the haXe one has atleast 1 or 2 posts per day and often from new users, without it I think we would loose some new users completely.
>>
>> The forum is more for use of haXe and the mailing list is more technical for the language development but obviously many have preferences and most will continue to use the haXe list.
>>
>> But starting to get stuff only appearing on the forum like ports of libraries etc... that just mailing list users will miss. Hopefully anything significant on the mailing list we can make sure appears on the forum there are some stickies.

Re: Crikey

jlm@justinfront.net
> 2. Maybe there is a plugin that allows all of our mailing list posts
Like for instance?
http://markmail.org/search/?q=haxe

Re: Crikey

Jan_Flanders
On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 12:25 AM, [hidden email]
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> 2. Maybe there is a plugin that allows all of our mailing list posts
>
> Like for instance?
> http://markmail.org/search/?q=haxe

or: http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/

and: http://www.google.com/reader/shared/user/13356518299296258863/label/Share
( http://blog.haxe.org )

Jan

Re: Crikey

Jordo Odroj
... I would like it if the email conversations were integrated into
the haxe.org website and linked to a mini profile about contributions
etc. If you make your own communication portal, you have the benefit
of adding very contextual features to the board. Plus, those sites are
fugly. (though on that note - I'd really like to get a better color
palette/font for haxe.org if no one would mind).