Load image from external server with NME for CPP target?

Load image from external server with NME for CPP target?

Thaddeus Morgan
I can't figure out how to load an image from a non-local URL, such as
http://www.example.com/images/example.jpg, using the NME SVN trunk
with the CPP target. Looking at the Loader.hx source code, it seems
perhaps only loading from local files is supported. Is this the case?
How can I use NME for the CPP target to load images from an external
server?

Thanks,
TM

Re: Load image from external server with NME for CPP target?

Thaddeus Morgan
After a little more digging, the only way I see to load an image over
the network is with cpp.net.Socket. Is this right? Is there any
interest extending nme.display.Loader to handle loading content over
the network?

Thanks,
TM

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Thaddeus Morgan
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I can't figure out how to load an image from a non-local URL, such as
> http://www.example.com/images/example.jpg, using the NME SVN trunk
> with the CPP target. Looking at the Loader.hx source code, it seems
> perhaps only loading from local files is supported. Is this the case?
> How can I use NME for the CPP target to load images from an external
> server?
>
> Thanks,
> TM

Re: Load image from external server with NME for CPP target?

Jan_Flanders
> On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Thaddeus Morgan
> <[hidden email]> wrote: I can't figure out how to load an image from a non-local URL, such as
>> http://www.example.com/images/example.jpg, using the NME SVN trunk with the CPP target.

var cnx = new haxe.Http("http://haxer.be/foto.jpg");
cnx.onData = function(data)
{
        Lib.current.addChild(new
Bitmap(BitmapData.loadFromHaxeBytes(Bytes.ofString(data))));
}

Fully working example:
http://haxer.be/zips/nme-load-image-from-network.zip

I had to change line 51 in cpp.net.Host.hx to:
var m = cpp.Lib.load("std","socket_init",0);
m();

Jan

Re: Load image from external server with NME for CPP target?

Jan_Flanders
The actual request was missing in the previous snippet:

cnx.request(false);

Jan

Re: Load image from external server with NME for CPP target?

Thaddeus Morgan
Thanks, Jan. I was kind of dancing around this trying to make changes
to nme.display.Loader. Your example, though I haven't tried it yet,
gave me the missing pieces. My modified NME works like it should,
except that the CPP version of the app becomes unresponsive while
images are being loaded. This doesn't happen in the Flash version.
Furthermore, the Flash version seems to load images much faster than
the CPP version. Any ideas why this is so?

Thanks,
TM

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 6:26 PM, Jan Flanders <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The actual request was missing in the previous snippet:
>
> cnx.request(false);
>
> Jan

Re: Load image from external server with NME for CPP target?

Baluta Cristian
Maybe the request is syncronous?

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 6:52 AM, Thaddeus Morgan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks, Jan. I was kind of dancing around this trying to make changes
to nme.display.Loader. Your example, though I haven't tried it yet,
gave me the missing pieces. My modified NME works like it should,
except that the CPP version of the app becomes unresponsive while
images are being loaded. This doesn't happen in the Flash version.
Furthermore, the Flash version seems to load images much faster than
the CPP version. Any ideas why this is so?

Thanks,
TM

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 6:26 PM, Jan Flanders <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The actual request was missing in the previous snippet:
>
> cnx.request(false);
>
> Jan

Băluță Cristian
http://ralcr.com
http://imagin.ro

Re: Load image from external server with NME for CPP target?

Thaddeus Morgan
Certainly, haxe.Http.requestUrl is synchronous. But haxe.Http.request
seems designed to be asynchronous, given the error and data callbacks
that can be set. This is spelled out in some detail in
http://haxe.org/doc/js/ajax, though perhaps that's only for the
JavaScript target. This seems to be the case since the haxe.Http.async
parameter is only available for the JavaScript target. Is there a way
to make asynchronous HTTP requests in the CPP target?

Thanks,
TM

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 12:39 AM, Baluta Cristian
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Maybe the request is syncronous?
>
> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 6:52 AM, Thaddeus Morgan <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks, Jan. I was kind of dancing around this trying to make changes
>> to nme.display.Loader. Your example, though I haven't tried it yet,
>> gave me the missing pieces. My modified NME works like it should,
>> except that the CPP version of the app becomes unresponsive while
>> images are being loaded. This doesn't happen in the Flash version.
>> Furthermore, the Flash version seems to load images much faster than
>> the CPP version. Any ideas why this is so?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> TM
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 6:26 PM, Jan Flanders <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > The actual request was missing in the previous snippet:
>> >
>> > cnx.request(false);
>> >
>> > Jan
>> >
>> > --
>> > haXe - an open source web programming language
>> > http://haxe.org

> Băluță Cristian
> http://ralcr.com
> http://imagin.ro

Re: Load image from external server with NME for CPP target?

Some work does need to be done on async sockets, c++ and NME.
Some solutions are:
1. Allow blocking (current solution) - not so good for games.
2. Start a thread to load the data - complicates the code somewhat - but
maybe easy short-term.
3. Change readHttpResponse to be non-blocking and process it on a "poll"
event.
   Maybe easy because it can be all done in haxe code. So the existing code
while be:

readHttpRequest()
{
    while(readHttpRequesBit())
       /* wait */ ;
}

and the NME code would setup a polling timer (like the sound onComplete
timer) and
call readHttpRequestBit() on the timer/poll event. The main issue is
keeping track
of state and where you are up to.

4. Build code + and required threading into NME.

Option 3 is nice because some nice haxe expert out there could write 99%
of this
for me without needing the change the NME code.

I'm thinking option 4 may be best in terms of efficiency and using native
APIs.
But is also probably the most work, but I think the extra efficiency will
be good,
and its pretty important for a number of things like loading high-scores
etc.

Hugh

> Certainly, haxe.Http.requestUrl is synchronous. But haxe.Http.request
> seems designed to be asynchronous, given the error and data callbacks
> that can be set. This is spelled out in some detail in
> http://haxe.org/doc/js/ajax, though perhaps that's only for the
> JavaScript target. This seems to be the case since the haxe.Http.async
> parameter is only available for the JavaScript target. Is there a way
> to make asynchronous HTTP requests in the CPP target?
>
> Thanks,
> TM
>
> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 12:39 AM, Baluta Cristian
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Maybe the request is syncronous?
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 6:52 AM, Thaddeus Morgan
>> <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks, Jan. I was kind of dancing around this trying to make changes
>>> to nme.display.Loader. Your example, though I haven't tried it yet,
>>> gave me the missing pieces. My modified NME works like it should,
>>> except that the CPP version of the app becomes unresponsive while
>>> images are being loaded. This doesn't happen in the Flash version.
>>> Furthermore, the Flash version seems to load images much faster than
>>> the CPP version. Any ideas why this is so?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> TM

>> Băluță Cristian
>> http://ralcr.com
>> http://imagin.ro

Crikey

Gamehaxe
Go away for 1 week and have 250 emails when you get back :)

Re: Crikey

Tony Polinelli
+ 1... more email

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 3:54 PM, Hugh Sanderson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Go away for 1 week and have 250 emails when you get back :)

RE: Crikey

luca deltodesco
I have my inbox partitioned keeping haxe emails send to it's own folder, i'd die otherwise.

Re: Crikey

Jordo Odroj
The mailing list is, unfortunately, the primary means of community
building around Haxe. Does anyone know why the forum never really took
off?

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 1:45 AM, luca deltodesco <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have my inbox partitioned keeping haxe emails send to it's own folder, i'd
> die otherwise.
>
> ________________________________
> Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 08:51:13 +0200
> Subject: Re: [haXe] Crikey
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
>
> 90% of my emails are from haxe, but is fine, i still can see the other
> emails.
>
> On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 8:22 AM, Tony Polinelli <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> + 1... more email
>
> On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 3:54 PM, Hugh Sanderson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> Go away for 1 week and have 250 emails when you get back :)
> Hugh

> Tony Polinelli
> http://touchmypixel.com

> Băluță Cristian
> http://ralcr.com
> http://imagin.ro
>
> -- haXe - an open source web programming language http://haxe.org

Re: Crikey

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
I'd say it's because you have to look at it to know there's something for you to see. And you have to "go" there. This is just in your email, so you're there anyway. As long as you simply syphon anything from the haxe list off into another folder (tag in gmail etc) you should be able to ignore it or not.

The only thing I think you can do to make it "nicer" for people is to have the option of a daily digest rather than each email (maybe you can do this already?)

building around Haxe. Does anyone know why the forum never really took
off?

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 1:45 AM, luca deltodesco <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have my inbox partitioned keeping haxe emails send to it's own folder, i'd
> die otherwise.
>
> ________________________________
> Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 08:51:13 +0200
> Subject: Re: [haXe] Crikey
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
>
> 90% of my emails are from haxe, but is fine, i still can see the other
> emails.
>
> On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 8:22 AM, Tony Polinelli <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> + 1... more email
>
> On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 3:54 PM, Hugh Sanderson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> Go away for 1 week and have 250 emails when you get back :)
> Hugh

> Tony Polinelli
> http://touchmypixel.com

> Băluță Cristian
> http://ralcr.com
> http://imagin.ro
>
> -- haXe - an open source web programming language http://haxe.org

Re: Crikey

Jordo

> Does anyone know why the forum never really took
> off?

It's been quite active recently, I think it's just building slowly but
it started long after mailing list so regular haXe users tend to ask
the mailing list, and since there are not so many experts using it we
have to point them to the mailing list.

But if haXe grows it will take off, maybe when it grows bigger it
needs a new format but at the moment simple is fine, it allows us to
catch new users and provide some initial assistance and guidance on
getting started or where to look.

It's fairly tricky to have a good forum there are many bad ones or
seemingly empty, but the haXe one has atleast 1 or 2 posts per day and
often from new users, without it I think we would loose some new users
completely.

The forum is more for use of haXe and the mailing list is more
technical for the language development but obviously many have
preferences and most will continue to use the haXe list.

But starting to get stuff only appearing on the forum like ports of
libraries etc... that just mailing list users will miss. Hopefully
anything significant on the mailing list we can make sure appears on
the forum there are some stickies.

;j

Re: Crikey

Gamehaxe
I think it is just a momentum thing.
I must admit that while I think a forum format would make
it easier for me to mentally filter topics, I use the mailing
list almost exclusively.  Perhaps the best way the get the forum
more active would be to kill the mailing list.

Hugh

> Jordo
>
>> Does anyone know why the forum never really took
>> off?
>

> It's been quite active recently, I think it's just building slowly but
> it started long after mailing list so regular haXe users tend to ask the
> mailing list, and since there are not so many experts using it we have
> to point them to the mailing list.
>
> But if haXe grows it will take off, maybe when it grows bigger it needs
> a new format but at the moment simple is fine, it allows us to catch new
> users and provide some initial assistance and guidance on getting
> started or where to look.
>
> It's fairly tricky to have a good forum there are many bad ones or
> seemingly empty, but the haXe one has atleast 1 or 2 posts per day and
> often from new users, without it I think we would loose some new users
> completely.
>
> The forum is more for use of haXe and the mailing list is more technical
> for the language development but obviously many have preferences and
> most will continue to use the haXe list.
>
> But starting to get stuff only appearing on the forum like ports of
> libraries etc... that just mailing list users will miss. Hopefully
> anything significant on the mailing list we can make sure appears on the
> forum there are some stickies.
>
> ;j

Re: Crikey

Trevor Burton
i've been on a few mailing lists where forums have been proposed and they never seem to take off. The mailing list always seems to remain the first port of call for questions. Not entirely sure why, would probably make for an interesting study.

As long as there's a simple interface for searching the list archives i don't think it makes much difference - as has been mentioned mail clients usually allow you to filter messages. the majority of people post solutions to their problems if they aren't suggested in the thread, so it makes a good archive.

If it could be trawled for common themes to threads that might make a good FAQ or troubleshooting list

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 2:55 PM, Hugh Sanderson <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

---------------------------
Trevor Burton

Re: Crikey

Justin Donaldson-3
I have a haxe tag on gmail that is set to skip the inbox.  The auto threading, etc. on gmail makes everything nicely organized.

Another good option for handling q&a is stackoverflow.com.  Good questions/answers naturally rise to the top.  Duplicate questions can be flagged, etc.  It's easier to identify helpful individuals because they tend to have more "points".  It also discourages flame wars, since the site is for Q&A only, and bad threads/people can get removed.  I might miss the flame wars though.  Some of them have been epic. :)

There's an api so it would be possible to list popular/featured haxe related questions and people somewhere on the haXe site:
http://stackapps.com/questions/1/api-documentation-and-help

-Justin

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 8:03 AM, Trevor Burton <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Joshua Harlan Lifton
I have an immediate need for an asynchronous loading solution and
would be interested in pushing this along. Unfortunately, the
combination of my limited C++ experience and available time means I
can't implement solution #4 even though I think it's the best solution
in the long term. Hugh, or whoever is interested, do you plan on
implementing solution #4 in the near future? If not, I'll start on
solution #3. I don't consider myself a haXe expert, but hopefully I'll
find my way based on the outline you gave.

Cheers,
Josh

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 11:01 PM, Hugh Sanderson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> Some work does need to be done on async sockets, c++ and NME.
> Some solutions are:
> 1. Allow blocking (current solution) - not so good for games.
> 2. Start a thread to load the data - complicates the code somewhat - but
> maybe easy short-term.
> 3. Change readHttpResponse to be non-blocking and process it on a "poll"
> event.
>  Maybe easy because it can be all done in haxe code. So the existing code
> while be:
>
> readHttpRequest()
> {
>   while(readHttpRequesBit())
>      /* wait */ ;
> }
>
> and the NME code would setup a polling timer (like the sound onComplete
> timer) and
> call readHttpRequestBit() on the timer/poll event. The main issue is keeping
> track
> of state and where you are up to.
>
> 4. Build code + and required threading into NME.
>

> Option 3 is nice because some nice haxe expert out there could write 99% of
> this
> for me without needing the change the NME code.
>
> I'm thinking option 4 may be best in terms of efficiency and using native
> APIs.
> But is also probably the most work, but I think the extra efficiency will be
> good,
> and its pretty important for a number of things like loading high-scores
> etc.
>
> Hugh
>
>> Certainly, haxe.Http.requestUrl is synchronous. But haxe.Http.request
>> seems designed to be asynchronous, given the error and data callbacks
>> that can be set. This is spelled out in some detail in
>> http://haxe.org/doc/js/ajax, though perhaps that's only for the
>> JavaScript target. This seems to be the case since the haxe.Http.async
>> parameter is only available for the JavaScript target. Is there a way
>> to make asynchronous HTTP requests in the CPP target?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> TM
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 12:39 AM, Baluta Cristian
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Maybe the request is syncronous?
>>>
>>> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 6:52 AM, Thaddeus Morgan
>>> <[hidden email]>

>>> --
>>> Băluță Cristian
>>> http://ralcr.com
>>> http://imagin.ro

Re: Crikey

I think if you want to promote the forum usage you need to include a
forum digest to the mailing list. That way us "mailers" don't miss out
on the fact that somethings happening there and get them involved.

It would also be great to have a digest of haxelib activity sent to
mailing list as well (even once a week).