Just a small comment (Flash dying :c)

alx

Just a small comment (Flash dying :c)

alx
Just heard that Windows banned Flash (and all plugins, but obviously not Silverlight) from IE10.

That's gay :c

Good thing haxe compiles to js-canvas too, but I really like Flash, it's an amazing platform and doesn't deserve to die. Trying to "replace" it with some other stuff will only lead to lots of headaches to us developers, and fragmentation between OS's and browsers, me thinks.

(I'm not implying that it will die because of IE dropping it, but it surely is a hard blow).

Re: Just a small comment (Flash dying :c)

singmajesty
That's cute. When you put your frown face in parenthesis like that, it
looks like a kid with a little up-turned nose :c)

I think that the impact of this decision will depend on the project...

If you are building something visual, to complement an existing website,
then it may be necessary to create an alternate JS version, either by hand
(as a simple fallback) or using jeash.

On the other hand, if you are creating a game or rich web application,
supporting NME may be a better approach. Then if a user wants to play your
game or use the application, you can direct them to a link to download and
install the application.

I hope that Microsoft allows C++ in Windows 8, unlike Windows Phone 7. If
they do, then we have a Windows target and a few mobile targets which we
can use to make a good Windows 8 target for NME

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 13:57:41 -0700, alx <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just heard that Windows banned Flash (and all plugins, but obviously not
> Silverlight) from IE10.
>
> That's gay :c
>
> Good thing haxe compiles to js-canvas too, but I really like Flash, it's
> an
> amazing platform and doesn't deserve to die. Trying to "replace" it with
> some other stuff will only lead to lots of headaches to us developers,
> and
> fragmentation between OS's and browsers, me thinks.
>
> (I'm not implying that it will die because of IE dropping it, but it
> surely
> is a hard blow).

Re: Just a small comment (Flash dying :c)

Benjamin Dasnois
Hello,

Two questions:
* Do you have sources?
* Is it Windows or IE? (I think I know the answer but anyway...)

Regards,

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 10:57 PM, alx <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just heard that Windows banned Flash (and all plugins, but obviously not Silverlight) from IE10.

That's gay :c

Good thing haxe compiles to js-canvas too, but I really like Flash, it's an amazing platform and doesn't deserve to die. Trying to "replace" it with some other stuff will only lead to lots of headaches to us developers, and fragmentation between OS's and browsers, me thinks.

(I'm not implying that it will die because of IE dropping it, but it surely is a hard blow).

DASNOIS Benjamin
http://www.benjamindasnois.com

Re: Just a small comment (Flash dying :c)

Benjamin Dasnois

If they don't allow C++ That would mean breaking retro compatbility and they did not for that since 95...

Le 15 sept. 2011 23:11, "Joshua Granick" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> That's cute. When you put your frown face in parenthesis like that, it
> looks like a kid with a little up-turned nose :c)
>
> I think that the impact of this decision will depend on the project...
>

> If you are building something visual, to complement an existing website,
> then it may be necessary to create an alternate JS version, either by hand
> (as a simple fallback) or using jeash.
>

> On the other hand, if you are creating a game or rich web application,
> supporting NME may be a better approach. Then if a user wants to play your
> game or use the application, you can direct them to a link to download and
> install the application.
>
> I hope that Microsoft allows C++ in Windows 8, unlike Windows Phone 7. If
> they do, then we have a Windows target and a few mobile targets which we
> can use to make a good Windows 8 target for NME
>

> On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 13:57:41 -0700, alx <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Just heard that Windows banned Flash (and all plugins, but obviously not
>> Silverlight) from IE10.
>>
>> That's gay :c
>>
>> Good thing haxe compiles to js-canvas too, but I really like Flash, it's
>> an
>> amazing platform and doesn't deserve to die. Trying to "replace" it with
>> some other stuff will only lead to lots of headaches to us developers,
>> and
>> fragmentation between OS's and browsers, me thinks.
>>
>> (I'm not implying that it will die because of IE dropping it, but it
>> surely
>> is a hard blow).

Re: Just a small comment (Flash dying :c)

Windows 8 is going to support a "Metro" interface, as well as the
traditional desktop interface.

Accordingly, Internet Explorer will be available with two "skins", one
with the Metro interface, and one that is more traditional.

The Metro-skinned Internet Explorer will not allow plugins. The
traditional flavor of Internet Explorer will continue to support plugins

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 14:10:27 -0700, Benjamin Dasnois
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Two questions:
> * Do you have sources?
> * Is it Windows or IE? (I think I know the answer but anyway...)
>
> Regards,
>
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 10:57 PM, alx <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Just heard that Windows banned Flash (and all plugins, but obviously not
>> Silverlight) from IE10.
>>
>> That's gay :c
>>
>> Good thing haxe compiles to js-canvas too, but I really like Flash,
>> it's an
>> amazing platform and doesn't deserve to die. Trying to "replace" it with
>> some other stuff will only lead to lots of headaches to us developers,
>> and
>> fragmentation between OS's and browsers, me thinks.
>>
>> (I'm not implying that it will die because of IE dropping it, but it
>> surely
>> is a hard blow).

Re: Just a small comment (Flash dying :c)

Well, Windows 8 is slated to support phones, tablets, laptops, desktops,
tvs, etc...

Microsoft decided to only provide support for C# and .NET, but not to
allow C++ on Windows Phone 7.

In accordance with their decisions regarding web plugins, I wonder if they
will continue this stance for mobile. Desktop should obviously support it

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 14:14:14 -0700, Benjamin Dasnois
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> If they don't allow C++ That would mean breaking retro compatbility and
> they
> did not for that since 95...
> Le 15 sept. 2011 23:11, "Joshua Granick" <[hidden email]> a
> écrit :
>> That's cute. When you put your frown face in parenthesis like that, it
>> looks like a kid with a little up-turned nose :c)
>>
>> I think that the impact of this decision will depend on the project...
>>

>> If you are building something visual, to complement an existing website,
>> then it may be necessary to create an alternate JS version, either by
>> hand
>
>> (as a simple fallback) or using jeash.
>>

>> On the other hand, if you are creating a game or rich web application,
>> supporting NME may be a better approach. Then if a user wants to play
>> your
>
>> game or use the application, you can direct them to a link to download
>> and
>
>> install the application.
>>
>> I hope that Microsoft allows C++ in Windows 8, unlike Windows Phone 7.
>> If
>> they do, then we have a Windows target and a few mobile targets which we
>> can use to make a good Windows 8 target for NME
>>

>> On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 13:57:41 -0700, alx <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Just heard that Windows banned Flash (and all plugins, but obviously
>>> not
>>> Silverlight) from IE10.
>>>
>>> That's gay :c
>>>
>>> Good thing haxe compiles to js-canvas too, but I really like Flash,
>>> it's
>>> an
>>> amazing platform and doesn't deserve to die. Trying to "replace" it
>>> with
>>> some other stuff will only lead to lots of headaches to us developers,
>>> and
>>> fragmentation between OS's and browsers, me thinks.
>>>
>>> (I'm not implying that it will die because of IE dropping it, but it
>>> surely
>>> is a hard blow).

Re: Just a small comment (Flash dying :c)

Benjamin Dasnois
Well from my understanding they want to have the "same OS everywhere". If they start doing that, then that just means "having the same core/kernel for the OS everywhere" which is obviously not the same thing at all.

Wonder if they'll success with that...

écrit :
[...]

Okay, cool. It's in there.

http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/26/0,1425,sz=1&i=269990,00.jpg

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 14:18:56 -0700, Joshua Granick
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well, Windows 8 is slated to support phones, tablets, laptops, desktops,
> tvs, etc...
>
> Microsoft decided to only provide support for C# and .NET, but not to
> allow C++ on Windows Phone 7.
>
> In accordance with their decisions regarding web plugins, I wonder if
> they will continue this stance for mobile. Desktop should obviously
> support it
>

> On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 14:14:14 -0700, Benjamin Dasnois
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> If they don't allow C++ That would mean breaking retro compatbility and
>> they
>> did not for that since 95...
>> Le 15 sept. 2011 23:11, "Joshua Granick" <[hidden email]> a
>> écrit :
>>> That's cute. When you put your frown face in parenthesis like that, it
>>> looks like a kid with a little up-turned nose :c)
>>>
>>> I think that the impact of this decision will depend on the project...
>>>

>>> If you are building something visual, to complement an existing
>>> website,
>>> then it may be necessary to create an alternate JS version, either by
>>> hand
>>
>>> (as a simple fallback) or using jeash.
>>>

>>> On the other hand, if you are creating a game or rich web application,
>>> supporting NME may be a better approach. Then if a user wants to play
>>> your
>>
>>> game or use the application, you can direct them to a link to download
>>> and
>>
>>> install the application.
>>>
>>> I hope that Microsoft allows C++ in Windows 8, unlike Windows Phone 7.
>>> If
>>> they do, then we have a Windows target and a few mobile targets which
>>> we
>>> can use to make a good Windows 8 target for NME

Re: Just a small comment (Flash dying :c)

Benjamin Dasnois

Thanks!

Le 15 sept. 2011 23:28, "Joshua Granick" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> Okay, cool. It's in there.
>
> http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/26/0,1425,sz=1&i=269990,00.jpg
>

> On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 14:18:56 -0700, Joshua Granick
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Well, Windows 8 is slated to support phones, tablets, laptops, desktops,
>> tvs, etc...
>>
>> Microsoft decided to only provide support for C# and .NET, but not to
>> allow C++ on Windows Phone 7.
>>
>> In accordance with their decisions regarding web plugins, I wonder if
>> they will continue this stance for mobile. Desktop should obviously
>> support it
>>

>> On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 14:14:14 -0700, Benjamin Dasnois
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> If they don't allow C++ That would mean breaking retro compatbility and
>>> they
>>> did not for that since 95...

Re: Just a small comment (Flash dying :c)

clemos
Nique ta grand mère fils de pute.
I mean, that sounds really bad...
+++
Clément

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 10:57 PM, alx <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just heard that Windows banned Flash (and all plugins, but obviously not
> Silverlight) from IE10.
> That's gay :c
> Good thing haxe compiles to js-canvas too, but I really like Flash, it's an
> amazing platform and doesn't deserve to die. Trying to "replace" it with
> some other stuff will only lead to lots of headaches to us developers, and
> fragmentation between OS's and browsers, me thinks.
> (I'm not implying that it will die because of IE dropping it, but it surely
> is a hard blow).

Re: Just a small comment (Flash dying :c)

bubblebenj
You must use quotes when you quote a philosopher.

Ben

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 12:00 AM, clemos <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nique ta grand mère fils de pute.
I mean, that sounds really bad...
+++
Clément

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 10:57 PM, alx <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Just heard that Windows banned Flash (and all plugins, but obviously not
> Silverlight) from IE10.
> That's gay :c
> Good thing haxe compiles to js-canvas too, but I really like Flash, it's an
> amazing platform and doesn't deserve to die. Trying to "replace" it with
> some other stuff will only lead to lots of headaches to us developers, and
> fragmentation between OS's and browsers, me thinks.
> (I'm not implying that it will die because of IE dropping it, but it surely
> is a hard blow).

Re: Just a small comment (Flash dying :c)

Simon Asselbergs

No it's slightly different. Microsoft provides 2 flavors of IE, the metro one (which doesn't support any plugin, well only supporting silverlight) and the normal IE which does still support flash plugin (and other plugins). Here is the slashdot article which had a title that was misleading (which most titles of slashdot seems to be lately). Also being a bit off topic, Intel is providing a parallel Javascript library, including webgl, canvas etc. This is an exceptional cool thing for those who want to get a lot more performance on the visual stuff (3D etc). The whole beauty of it is that you can use it today.

But true, flash gets often kicked its but lately nevertheless.

Greetings Simon

Dinko Pavicic
alx

Re: Just a small comment (Flash dying :c)

alx
@Joshua: haha like a nose ring :c)

Well good thing to know that haXe got anything covered.

Also hoping that Adobe had everything planned for this day (with something better than Flash for Javascript). Flash doesn't deserve to die :'( !

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Dinko Pavicic <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yep ... in standard IE as seen in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8Qu7iESwL8E

Re: Just a small comment (Flash dying :c)

Benjamin Dasnois
Hello,

Well, when you see Edge and Muse in Adobe Labs you can think they actually are preparing for this day even though those two products will certainly get merged into some other that are more complete.

Regards,

Benjamin Dasnois

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Dinko Pavicic <<a href="javascript:_e({}, &#39;cvml&#39;, &#39;dinko.pavicic@zg.t-com.hr&#39;);" target="_blank">dinko.pavicic@...> wrote:
Yep ... in standard IE as seen in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8Qu7iESwL8E

DASNOIS Benjamin
http://www.benjamindasnois.com

Re: Just a small comment (Flash dying :c)

Simon Asselbergs
Hi Benjamin (& rest list)

Adobe is still very strong for creative online stuff. However I have seen too many concept cars from Adobe. I expect more of a to late to little show, or not something meaty enough to have the right pace, steady direction and follow up. Adobe business development is where I am not so impressed with, what I do see is a lot of running around lacking a vision on the future. It doesn't stick and I should be their customer in many ways. I am not convinced Adobe has the innovation spirit at all thats needed for continuity. It seems as they are unwillingly waiting for some disruptive event to take place and ultimately handover what they have built upon.

However as long as there is something like an open source language /compiler where one code base can be compiled to technology of choice (like haXe), it makes it much less of a burden. So it is important for the haXe community to grow, it has all the potential but why it doesn't grow faster beats me. Maybe we are all early adopters? Or do I don't get it?

Greetings, Simon

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 8:01 PM, Benjamin Dasnois <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Lee Sylvester
We are all confident in this, also.  I've staked my business on it for the past five years.  What I can say is that more and more people are realising the benefits of haXe and that there will be a big shift at some point.  haXe will have it's day.

Lee

Sent from my iPad

On 18 Sep 2011, at 22:28, Simon Asselbergs <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

jlm@justinfront.net
Flash is dead... what again?!

When you think about it, maybe it is actually haXe that will be the real flash killer, the natural successor to as3, flash is the ultimate non standard standard, that allows for rich cross platform experiences, and haXe is sort of taking this to the next level removing the need for a plugin but stlll able to use it, and even arrogant enough to do the database, and it's kind of tricky to keep it off an iphone etc... , but haXe needs some graphics tools... where are you adobe, microsoft, google, apple etc... which one is going to realize the potential first and throw in some real resources, and which ones will miss this boat ?

alx

Re: Just a small comment (Flash dying :c)

alx
If haXe could "standardize" how it processes each target, so that, instead of programming a new one in ocaml, you just load a bunch of "rules" (for php, cpp, etc...) that would be the real deal :E !!!

Is that even possible?

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 8:51 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Baluta Cristian
what, microsoft succeeded in updating all their animations to silverlight?

--
Băluță Cristian
http://ralcr.com