Jeash performance

sHTiF
Hi guys today I was looking for a haxe library that would enable me test my Flash project inside JS without much effort and i discovered Jeash seems like a neat project however the performance leaves out a lot to be desired.

But it seems that the drop of the performance is a recent event according to the recent benchmarks done by Mike here http://mikecann.co.uk/personal-project/more-html5-haxe-speed-tests/ it seems that it was almost up to par with direct JS-Canvas implementation. But running these tests nowadays leaves Jeash behind. Actually I can't run even a single sprite at 60FPS that is really unusable.

Any ideas why is it so? Or anything I can do? Btw I tried many browsers its all the same.

Re: Jeash performance

game flash
Dom rendering seems to perform better across platforms (however hacky it seems to canvas purists)
In Jeash is there a Dom renderer that does css3 hardware accelerated transforms like the code below?

style.webkitTransform="translate("+x+"px,"+y+"px)";
OR
style.webkitTransform="translate3d(0px,0px,0px) rotateY(0deg)";

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 5:05 PM, sHTiF <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys today I was looking for a haxe library that would enable me test my
Flash project inside JS without much effort and i discovered Jeash seems
like a neat project however the performance leaves out a lot to be desired.

But it seems that the drop of the performance is a recent event according to
the recent benchmarks done by Mike here
http://mikecann.co.uk/personal-project/more-html5-haxe-speed-tests/ it seems
that it was almost up to par with direct JS-Canvas implementation. But
running these tests nowadays leaves Jeash behind. Actually I can't run even
a single sprite at 60FPS that is really unusable.

Any ideas why is it so? Or anything I can do? Btw I tried many browsers its
all the same.

Re: Jeash performance

Michael Cann
Yes I concur with swift, there has definately been a large drop in performance for the Jeash sample on my post.

Im not sure, but something must have happened in recent builds of chrome to cause the performance change. When I wrote the post I was using Chrome 14 dev,and now im currently on Chrome 17 dev.

Interestingly, on another PC I tested this on, I had a rather large increase in performance of the HaXe + WebGL version of the code compared to the hand crafted JS version.

Mike

On 9 November 2011 22:23, Swf Games Online <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Mike Cann
http://www.mikecann.co.uk/

Re: Jeash performance

Dion Whitehead Amago
Hydrax has css3 and canvas rendering, but it might be a bit much extra coding.

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 4:33 PM, Michael Cann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes I concur with swift, there has definately been a large drop in
> performance for the Jeash sample on my post.
> Im not sure, but something must have happened in recent builds of chrome to
> cause the performance change. When I wrote the post I was using Chrome 14
> dev,and now im currently on Chrome 17 dev.
> Interestingly, on another PC I tested this on, I had a rather large increase
> in performance of the HaXe + WebGL version of the code compared to the hand
> crafted JS version.
> Mike
>
> On 9 November 2011 22:23, Swf Games Online <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Dom rendering seems to perform better across platforms (however hacky it
>> seems to canvas purists)
>> In Jeash is there a Dom renderer that does css3 hardware accelerated
>> transforms like the code below?
>>
>> style.webkitTransform="translate("+x+"px,"+y+"px)";
>> OR
>> style.webkitTransform="translate3d(0px,0px,0px) rotateY(0deg)";
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 5:05 PM, sHTiF <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi guys today I was looking for a haxe library that would enable me test
>>> my
>>> Flash project inside JS without much effort and i discovered Jeash seems
>>> like a neat project however the performance leaves out a lot to be
>>> desired.
>>>
>>> But it seems that the drop of the performance is a recent event according
>>> the recent benchmarks done by Mike here
>>> http://mikecann.co.uk/personal-project/more-html5-haxe-speed-tests/ it
>>> seems
>>> that it was almost up to par with direct JS-Canvas implementation. But
>>> running these tests nowadays leaves Jeash behind. Actually I can't run
>>> even
>>> a single sprite at 60FPS that is really unusable.
>>>
>>> Any ideas why is it so? Or anything I can do? Btw I tried many browsers
>>> its
>>> all the same.

> Mike Cann
> http://www.mikecann.co.uk/
> @mikeysee

Re: Jeash performance

Michael Cann
Cool, I may have to do a new batch of performance tests again soon then!

On 9 November 2011 22:49, Dion Whitehead Amago <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hydrax has css3 and canvas rendering, but it might be a bit much extra coding.

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 4:33 PM, Michael Cann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes I concur with swift, there has definately been a large drop in
> performance for the Jeash sample on my post.
> Im not sure, but something must have happened in recent builds of chrome to
> cause the performance change. When I wrote the post I was using Chrome 14
> dev,and now im currently on Chrome 17 dev.
> Interestingly, on another PC I tested this on, I had a rather large increase
> in performance of the HaXe + WebGL version of the code compared to the hand
> crafted JS version.
> Mike
>
> On 9 November 2011 22:23, Swf Games Online <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Dom rendering seems to perform better across platforms (however hacky it
>> seems to canvas purists)
>> In Jeash is there a Dom renderer that does css3 hardware accelerated
>> transforms like the code below?
>>
>> style.webkitTransform="translate("+x+"px,"+y+"px)";
>> OR
>> style.webkitTransform="translate3d(0px,0px,0px) rotateY(0deg)";
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 5:05 PM, sHTiF <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi guys today I was looking for a haxe library that would enable me test
>>> my
>>> Flash project inside JS without much effort and i discovered Jeash seems
>>> like a neat project however the performance leaves out a lot to be
>>> desired.
>>>
>>> But it seems that the drop of the performance is a recent event according
>>> the recent benchmarks done by Mike here
>>> http://mikecann.co.uk/personal-project/more-html5-haxe-speed-tests/ it
>>> seems
>>> that it was almost up to par with direct JS-Canvas implementation. But
>>> running these tests nowadays leaves Jeash behind. Actually I can't run
>>> even
>>> a single sprite at 60FPS that is really unusable.
>>>
>>> Any ideas why is it so? Or anything I can do? Btw I tried many browsers
>>> its
>>> all the same.

> Mike Cann
> http://www.mikecann.co.uk/
> @mikeysee

Mike Cann
http://www.mikecann.co.uk/

Re: Jeash performance

game flash
I love how Hydrax does that.
If we want code the performs well now and will perform well in the future, the ideal approach would be to have 3 renderers to choose from (Canvas, Dom, and WebGL).
This is what PlayN does.

Mike Cann
http://www.mikecann.co.uk/