Is it possible for Android to use SDL rendering?

Is it possible for Android to use SDL rendering?

rockswang@gmail.com
Hello everyone,

I am very new to Haxe, and have just tried making an android apk following Huge's fantastic tutorial http://gamehaxe.com/2011/04/05/nme-from-scratch/
apk is built however it doesn't run on both Emulator and a Huawei C8500 phone (it's a very cheap device and I don't think it even has a hardware 3D accelerater), the error message shown in Emulator console is (many) "E/libEGL  (  286): called unimplemented OpenGL ES API".
As I google'd, it seems Emulator does not support ES 2.0 well yet while some real-world devices do, however I wonder if it's possible for android template project to use SDL for rendering just like the solution on iPhone?

Thanks & Best Regards,
Rocks

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> function img_zoom(e, o) { var zoom = parseInt(o.style.zoom, 10) || 100; zoom += e.wheelDelta / 12; if (((zoom >= 50) && (e.wheelDelta < 0)) || ((zoom < 200) && (e.wheelDelta > 0))) o.style.zoom = zoom + '%'; return false; } </SCRIPT>

Re: Re: [haXe] Is it possible for Android to use SDL rendering?

rockswang@gmail.com

Thanks for your advice!
I was using the Actuate Example project which is mentioned in GetStarted doc. I've just tried to change the "hardware" property to "false" for window tag in the NMML file, however the problem is still the same.
Is there any other solution for testing project in Android Emulator? Otherwise I am afraid that the people who are tasting Haxe on android might be disappointed for this issue?
Or maybe Is there a pure-2D or OpenGL ES 1.0 implementation for NME? I suggest the low-end devices like Huawei C8500 should be in Haxe's sight, and I can even run Fruit Ninja in this phone (in a very low frame-rate).

Best Regards,
Rocks

Re: Re: [haXe] Is it possible for Android to use SDL rendering?

Mihail Ivanchev
Wops, sorry for sending an empty reply. There is a way to test NME projects in the emulator. I wrote a patch for this about a month ago, but somehow the NME authors are ignoring it. There are two things to be changed in NME for this to work. You can change them yourself in your local copy 'till they are finally fixed in the trunk. Here are the two issues I posted explaining how to do it:

You can see on the provided screenshot that I am indeed running NME on the emulator. The problem is NME is not OpenGL ES 1.0 conformant, because of a single API call not supported. Also, the NME team has a bug calling one of the JNI methods.

Hope that helps, if not, bug me!

M. Ivanchev

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 12:02 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for your advice!
I was using the Actuate Example project which is mentioned in GetStarted doc. I've just tried to change the "hardware" property to "false" for window tag in the NMML file, however the problem is still the same.
Is there any other solution for testing project in Android Emulator? Otherwise I am afraid that the people who are tasting Haxe on android might be disappointed for this issue?
Or maybe Is there a pure-2D or OpenGL ES 1.0 implementation for NME? I suggest the low-end devices like Huawei C8500 should be in Haxe's sight, and I can even run Fruit Ninja in this phone (in a very low frame-rate).

Best Regards,
Rocks

Re: Re: [haXe] Is it possible for Android to use SDL rendering?

singmajesty
Hi Mihail,

I think that the first issue (calling "StaticVoid" instead of
"StaticObject") has already been applied. As for the GL commands, I'm
hesitant to make the changes without letting Hugh make a decision on it,
because he is the one who has created the GL rendering, and since these
are different methods there may be undesired consequences either in
functionality or performance.

NME is designed for OpenGL ES 1.1, which is supported on basically all
devices.

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 03:14:12 -0700, Mihail Ivanchev <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Wops, sorry for sending an empty reply. There is a way to test NME
> projects
> in the emulator. I wrote a patch for this about a month ago, but somehow
> the
> NME authors are ignoring it. There are two things to be changed in NME
> for
> this to work. You can change them yourself in your local copy 'till they
> are
> finally fixed in the trunk. Here are the two issues I posted explaining
> how
> to do it:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/nekonme/issues/detail?id=132
> http://code.google.com/p/nekonme/issues/detail?id=133
>
> You can see on the provided screenshot that I am indeed running NME on
> the
> emulator. The problem is NME is not OpenGL ES 1.0 conformant, because of
> single API call not supported. Also, the NME team has a bug calling one
> of
> the JNI methods.
>
> Hope that helps, if not, bug me!
>
> M. Ivanchev
>
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 12:02 PM, [hidden email]
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> **
>> Thanks for your advice!
>> I was using the Actuate Example project which is mentioned in GetStarted
>> doc. I've just tried to change the "hardware" property to "false" for
>> window
>> tag in the NMML file, however the problem is still the same.
>>  Is there any other solution for testing project in Android Emulator?
>> Otherwise I am afraid that the people who are tasting Haxe on android
>> might
>> be disappointed for this issue?
>> Or maybe Is there a pure-2D or OpenGL ES 1.0 implementation for NME? I
>> suggest the low-end devices like Huawei C8500 should be in Haxe's
>> sight, and
>> I can even run Fruit Ninja in this phone (in a very low frame-rate).
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Rocks

Also, don't forget that you can build for Flash, your current desktop OS
or for Neko. All three are methods that can enable you to develop and
debug applications before sending it to a device

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 08:02:02 -0700, Joshua Granick
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Mihail,
>
> I think that the first issue (calling "StaticVoid" instead of
> "StaticObject") has already been applied. As for the GL commands, I'm
> hesitant to make the changes without letting Hugh make a decision on it,
> because he is the one who has created the GL rendering, and since these
> are different methods there may be undesired consequences either in
> functionality or performance.
>
> NME is designed for OpenGL ES 1.1, which is supported on basically all
> devices.
>

> On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 03:14:12 -0700, Mihail Ivanchev <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Wops, sorry for sending an empty reply. There is a way to test NME
>> projects
>> in the emulator. I wrote a patch for this about a month ago, but
>> somehow the
>> NME authors are ignoring it. There are two things to be changed in NME
>> for
>> this to work. You can change them yourself in your local copy 'till
>> they are
>> finally fixed in the trunk. Here are the two issues I posted explaining
>> how
>> to do it:
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/nekonme/issues/detail?id=132
>> http://code.google.com/p/nekonme/issues/detail?id=133
>>
>> You can see on the provided screenshot that I am indeed running NME on
>> the
>> emulator. The problem is NME is not OpenGL ES 1.0 conformant, because
>> of a
>> single API call not supported. Also, the NME team has a bug calling one
>> of
>> the JNI methods.
>>
>> Hope that helps, if not, bug me!
>>
>> M. Ivanchev
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 12:02 PM, [hidden email]
>> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>>
>>> **
>>> Thanks for your advice!
>>> I was using the Actuate Example project which is mentioned in
>>> GetStarted
>>> doc. I've just tried to change the "hardware" property to "false" for
>>> window
>>> tag in the NMML file, however the problem is still the same.
>>>  Is there any other solution for testing project in Android Emulator?
>>> Otherwise I am afraid that the people who are tasting Haxe on android
>>> might
>>> be disappointed for this issue?
>>> Or maybe Is there a pure-2D or OpenGL ES 1.0 implementation for NME? I
>>> suggest the low-end devices like Huawei C8500 should be in Haxe's
>>> sight, and
>>> I can even run Fruit Ninja in this phone (in a very low frame-rate).
>>>
>>> Best Regards,
>>> Rocks

Hey Joshua,

There will be no problem changing the API call, I am programming OpenGL for a decade now, you can believe me if you want, as all glColor functions are treated equally by the drivers and the different versions exist just for the developer's convenience. I honestly don't see any reason at all to break 1.0 compatibilty altogether, because of a simple glColor, even if practically all devices run 1.1. Testing the product on multiple screens/configurations on the emulator is a very important part of Android application development :).

Yes, you can test for native/Neko/Flash, but you cannot test the product with platform features as: soft keyboard, AdMob, Activity interactions etc.

Regards,
M. Ivanchev

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 5:02 PM, Joshua Granick <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Mihail,

I think that the first issue (calling "StaticVoid" instead of "StaticObject") has already been applied. As for the GL commands, I'm hesitant to make the changes without letting Hugh make a decision on it, because he is the one who has created the GL rendering, and since these are different methods there may be undesired consequences either in functionality or performance.

NME is designed for OpenGL ES 1.1, which is supported on basically all devices.

回复: Re: [haXe] Is it possible for Android to use SDL rendering?

rockswang@gmail.com
Many thanks Mihail, your information is really helpful!

Best Regards,
Rocks

Re: Re: [haXe] Is it possible for Android to use SDL rendering?

Your patch is not being ignored - I just have not got around to it yet.
I think the changes are very worthwhile - just need to work out the
most efficient replacement for color4ub.

Hugh