Installing haXe on Linux

Eric Vernon
HI guys,

Recently you all convinced me to give haXe a shot ;)  But I'm having issues with the very first step - installing it!  I'm on Ubuntu, and haXe is in the repositories, but it's version 1.16 I believe.  When I download the automatic installer and extract the file, well it's just a file... what do I do with it?  I appreciate help here, I'm very new to Linux so this is the type of thing I have problems with :P.  Also, when I try to compile from source there's no configure file so I get stuck there too.

Thanks a lot,
Eric

Re: Installing haXe on Linux

Benjamin Dasnois
Do not use the package in the repository as it is out-dated. Just use
the installer on the website. This is pretty simple : download,
extract it with tar -zxf then you should get a file named hxinst-linux
or something like that... you may need to chmod to be executable with
chmod +x filename. Then execute it as root (sudo -s to gain the
privileges). To execute it you just need to type ./filename when in
the same directory.

Do not hesitate to ask if you have any problem.

Regards,

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 10:19 PM, Eric Vernon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> HI guys,
>
> Recently you all convinced me to give haXe a shot ;)  But I'm having issues
> with the very first step - installing it!  I'm on Ubuntu, and haXe is in the
> repositories, but it's version 1.16 I believe.  When I download the
> automatic installer and extract the file, well it's just a file... what do I
> do with it?  I appreciate help here, I'm very new to Linux so this is the
> type of thing I have problems with :P.  Also, when I try to compile from
> source there's no configure file so I get stuck there too.
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Eric

DASNOIS Benjamin
http://www.benjamindasnois.com

Re: Installing haXe on Linux

Ian Liu Rodrigues
On Ubuntu just
tar xf hxinst-linux.tgz
sudo ./hxinst-linux

;)

Benjamin Dasnois a écrit :
> Do not use the package in the repository as it is out-dated.

BTW who is responsible for updating the Ubuntu package ? It would be
nice to have at least 2.01 update.

Re: Installing haXe on Linux

Benjamin Dasnois
Hello Nicolas,

The Ubuntu package list ( http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/haxe )
refers to Jens Peter Secher as the original maintainer and I remember
him writing about the debian package. I'm not sure if he is active in
our community anymore.

It also refers to the Ubuntu MOTU developers as the responsable which
actually means nobody specific since it means all of the "Masters of
the Universe" (those in charge of Universe and Multiverse
repositories).

Regards,

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 10:05 AM, Nicolas Cannasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Benjamin Dasnois a écrit :
>>
>> Do not use the package in the repository as it is out-dated.
>
> BTW who is responsible for updating the Ubuntu package ? It would be nice to
> have at least 2.01 update.

DASNOIS Benjamin
http://www.benjamindasnois.com

Re: Installing haXe on Linux

Kevin Newman
I think Ubuntu also has a policy of not upgrading major versions of
their packages within a single full release - so you'd have to wait
until Ubuntu 8.1 to before getting the newest version.

This in my opinion leads to old unmaintained packages in the repos for
months at a time.

To be fair, it is possible for individual groups to set up their own
repos for their own stuff. Opera did that for their browser, and Opera
is no longer listed in the main repos, and that is a situation that I
personally prefer.

Maybe it's worth it to set up an official HaXe Debian/Ubuntu repo?

Kevin N.

Benjamin Dasnois wrote:

> Hello Nicolas,
>
> The Ubuntu package list ( http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/haxe )
> refers to Jens Peter Secher as the original maintainer and I remember
> him writing about the debian package. I'm not sure if he is active in
> our community anymore.
>
> It also refers to the Ubuntu MOTU developers as the responsable which
> actually means nobody specific since it means all of the "Masters of
> the Universe" (those in charge of Universe and Multiverse
> repositories).
>
> Regards,
>
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 10:05 AM, Nicolas Cannasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Benjamin Dasnois a écrit :
>>
>>> Do not use the package in the repository as it is out-dated.
>>>
>> BTW who is responsible for updating the Ubuntu package ? It would be nice to
>> have at least 2.01 update.
>>
>> Nicolas

Re: Installing haXe on Linux

Jens Peter Secher
Executive summary:

 - Debian packages can always be found by following the links at
http://people.debian.org/~jps/.
 - Ubuntu packages live their own life.

2008/10/22 Benjamin Dasnois <[hidden email]>:

> The Ubuntu package list ( http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/haxe )
> refers to Jens Peter Secher as the original maintainer and I remember
> him writing about the debian package.

DEBIAN
------

As a Debian developer, I create Debian packages of new versions of
Neko and haXe when the stream of bugs have settled down a bit.

More specifically, the _official_ Debian packages live like this:

  1a)  If Debian is in a release cycle (as we are now) and the archive
is "frozen", I will upload new packages to the "experimental" archive.

  1a)  If Debian is not frozen, I will upload to the "unstable"
archive (the usual place where you find your packages).

  1b)  Packages in "unstable" will _automatically_ migrate into the
"testing" archive after some bug-free time.

  1c)  Packages in "testing" will _automatically_ migrate into the
"stable" archive when a version of Debian is released.  The "stable"
archive is completely frozen and packages here will _not_ be updated.

Because the "stable" archive is always frozen, there is an
_unofficial_ archive called "backports" which is used to update
packages for the "stable" release.  When a specific package version is
in "testing", it can be uploaded to "backports".  Therefore, I usually
also create so-called "backported" Neko and haXe packages for the
"stable" release.  These packages are needed because the packages in
the "unstable" archive cannot in general be used with the libraries in
the "stable" archive.

So I build additional "backported" packages against the libraries in
the "stable" archive and:

  2a) I will upload "backported" packages to
http://people.debian.org/~jps/stable/.

  2b)  I will move the "backported" packages to http://backports.org
as soon as I possibly can.

UBUNTU
------

I am _not_ associated with Ubuntu and have no control over what
happens in Ubuntu, but as far as I understand it, packages are
_automatically_ adopted from Debian "testing" archive, so:

  3)  The newest _official_ Ubuntu package will be one matching the
package in Debian "testing".

If the official Ubuntu package is too old for you, you _should_ be
able to use the "backported" Debian packages directly, but I do not
test that in any way.

Hope this helps.

                                                    Jens Peter Secher.
_DD6A 05B0 174E BFB2 D4D9 B52E 0EE5 978A FE63 E8A1 jpsecher gmail com_.
A. Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion.
Q. Why is top posting bad?

Re: Installing haXe on Linux

laurence taylor

That's cleared a few things up for me, thanks.