Improving our tools

Nicolas Cannasse
Several people have been suggesting improvements to the haXe Wiki
(http://haxe.org) and to the haxelib system.

I've just opened http://code.google.com/p/haxe, so we can use it to host
various code, maybe moving the compiler code there, as well as wiki
system, haxelib etc. This way we can get more contributors.

You're welcome to use http://code.google.com/p/haxe/issues/list to
report bugs and suggest features, this way the process will be more easy
and more transparent.

Re: Improving our tools

Franco Ponticelli
Great!

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 5:32 PM, Nicolas Cannasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Several people have been suggesting improvements to the haXe Wiki (http://haxe.org) and to the haxelib system.

I've just opened http://code.google.com/p/haxe, so we can use it to host various code, maybe moving the compiler code there, as well as wiki system, haxelib etc. This way we can get more contributors.

You're welcome to use http://code.google.com/p/haxe/issues/list to report bugs and suggest features, this way the process will be more easy and more transparent.

Re: Improving our tools

Would it be better to use the Hg option rather than svn, as Git/
Mercury seem to be more what will be used in the future?

;j

On 21 Oct 2009, at 18:32, Nicolas Cannasse wrote:

> Several people have been suggesting improvements to the haXe Wiki (http://haxe.org
> ) and to the haxelib system.
>
> I've just opened http://code.google.com/p/haxe, so we can use it to
> host various code, maybe moving the compiler code there, as well as
> wiki system, haxelib etc. This way we can get more contributors.
>
> You're welcome to use http://code.google.com/p/haxe/issues/list to
> report bugs and suggest features, this way the process will be more
> easy and more transparent.
>
> Best,

Re: Improving our tools

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
I might not be the right one to suggest, since I've been lurking in this list for the last 4 years -- I used to be a flash programmer and used mtasc, yay! Loved it. Couldn't get to haXe, but do plan to start using and contributing to it soon, currently a Ruby/Rails developer -- I strongly suggest to use git instead of svn. I've dished svn 8 months ago and couldn't be happier. We could use GitHub :)

Believe me, it's much easier to start contributing and attract more people to the project this way.

Regards,

Marcelo.

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 12:35 PM, Franco Ponticelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
Great!

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 5:32 PM, Nicolas Cannasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Several people have been suggesting improvements to the haXe Wiki (http://haxe.org) and to the haxelib system.

I've just opened http://code.google.com/p/haxe, so we can use it to host various code, maybe moving the compiler code there, as well as wiki system, haxelib etc. This way we can get more contributors.

You're welcome to use http://code.google.com/p/haxe/issues/list to report bugs and suggest features, this way the process will be more easy and more transparent.

Re: Improving our tools

I remember there has been a few reports about PHP issues, it would be great if the people that have reported them could start using the tool suggested by Nicolas ... it will be a lot easier for me to check there than in the history of the ML.
Thanks,

Franco

Re: Improving our tools

This is a good move.

Nicolas Cannasse wrote:

> Several people have been suggesting improvements to the haXe Wiki
> (http://haxe.org) and to the haxelib system.
>
> I've just opened http://code.google.com/p/haxe, so we can use it to
> host various code, maybe moving the compiler code there, as well as
> wiki system, haxelib etc. This way we can get more contributors.
>
> You're welcome to use http://code.google.com/p/haxe/issues/list to
> report bugs and suggest features, this way the process will be more
> easy and more transparent.
>
> Best,

Re: Improving our tools

Randy Stauner
the google blog has instructions for using git locally but hosting w/ google code and svn.
being a git fan for many reasons that is probably the way i would go:

http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2008/05/develop-with-git-on-google-code-project.html

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Justin Lawerance Mills <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

We can use git locally, through git-svn, but this would kill the benefits of git as a tool for easy contribution.

We could however, create a mirror of the svn repo @ git.

I still vote for pure git/github. Github is unlikely to disappear tomorrow either :) Actually, it's growing fast and everyday.

Marcelo.

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 1:05 PM, Randy Stauner <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thomas-8
+1 for git/github.

Re: Improving our tools

Justin Lawerance Mills a écrit :
> Nicolas
>
> Would it be better to use the Hg option rather than svn, as Git/Mercury
> seem to be more what will be used in the future?

Please don't start a "which-is-the-best-versioning-system" sub-thread ;)

Re: Improving our tools

Thomas a écrit :
> +1 for git/github.

(too late)

"which-is-the-best-versioning-system" sub-thread closed (please!)

Re: Improving our tools

Lee Sylvester
Agreed. We all know it's CVS *cough/bs*

Lee ;-)

Nicolas Cannasse wrote:
> Thomas a écrit :
>> +1 for git/github.
>
> (too late)
>
> "which-is-the-best-versioning-system" sub-thread closed (please!)

Re: Improving our tools

Thomas-8
Isn't the thread about improving tools?

Re: Improving our tools

Laurent Kappler
Nicolas Cannasse a écrit :

> Justin Lawerance Mills a écrit :
>> Nicolas
>>
>> Would it be better to use the Hg option rather than svn, as
>> Git/Mercury seem to be more what will be used in the future?
>
> Please don't start a "which-is-the-best-versioning-system" sub-thread ;)
>
> Nicolas

git-seems-the-best, +1
:]
Laurent

Re: Improving our tools

Tyler MacLeod
+1 Isn't the thread about improving tools?
+1 Please don't start a "which-is-the-best-versioning-system" sub-thread ;)

I'm excited about the issues list. It may even offer a way to encourage others to tackle some of them and submit the patches.

-- Tyler MacLeod

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 3:38 PM, Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
Isn't the thread about improving tools?

Re: Improving our tools

Heinz Hölzer-2
That's really great, thx!!

Nicolas Cannasse schrieb:

> Several people have been suggesting improvements to the haXe Wiki
> (http://haxe.org) and to the haxelib system.
>
> I've just opened http://code.google.com/p/haxe, so we can use it to
> host various code, maybe moving the compiler code there, as well as
> wiki system, haxelib etc. This way we can get more contributors.
>
> You're welcome to use http://code.google.com/p/haxe/issues/list to
> report bugs and suggest features, this way the process will be more
> easy and more transparent.
>
> Best,

Re: Improving our tools

Zjnue Brzavi
Great move Nicolas.

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 6:44 PM, Franco Ponticelli
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I remember there has been a few reports about PHP issues, it would be great
> if the people that have reported them could start using the tool suggested
> by Nicolas ... it will be a lot easier for me to check there than in the
> history of the ML.

Hi Franco,

Regarding PHP in conjunction with the wiki, thanks again for stamping
out the very few glitches so soon. Besides commenting out the
mt.db.xxx calls (except the mt.db.Types ones) over at:
https://svn.motion-twin.com/hxwiki/v2
I've applied the attached patch to get some last things in place. I
think I've noticed a problem when trying to delete a page some time
ago, but was too lazy to follow up.
I'm happily using a wiki instance (in PHP) under Apache though and
will try to write some notes if of interest on the new Tools pages in
due course.

All the best,

Zjnue

hxwiki-patch.txt (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Improving our tools

He he ... sorry  ;J

On 21 Oct 2009, at 19:37, Lee McColl Sylvester wrote:

Agreed. We all know it's CVS *cough/bs*

Lee ;-)

..

"which-is-the-best-versioning-system" sub-thread closed (please!)

Re: Improving our tools

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
This is why having an "overlord" is good - otherwise there'd be bitching about which protocol to use until the cows come home. How about we just use FTP over Gopher?! .. oh just wait that doesn't even make sense!