IPad Dev.

sledorze
Here I go,

Like I told you one or two weeks ago, I am starting to port a flash component to IPad.
This (graphical) component will be used by thrid parties for buidling IPad applications.

I am aware of full haxe based IPad apps but not of mixed apps.

Today, I have started to port the component to HxCPP on my local windows.

I am wondering if I would better aim at ObjectiveC integration of this component or aim at making a Titanium one.

While Business wise, it makes more sense to port it to Objective C.
I am the bottleneck in this process as I have never done any Apple product based apps and also have others stuff to do in parallel so I want to minimize risk of slipping date first.

Have some of you done something similar before and can enlight me?

Thanks!

Stephane

RE: IPad Dev.

Lee Sylvester
What does the app do?  It's better to avoid Obj-C unless you're very
familiar with it.  If you're writing a game, use Corona
(www.anscamobile.com), otherwise, use Titanium... Both will give you what
you need in a rapid timescale.  Obj-C will slow you right down!!!

That's my opinion.

Lee

Like I told you one or two weeks ago, I am starting to port a flash
component to IPad.
This (graphical) component will be used by thrid parties for buidling IPad
applications.

I am aware of full haxe based IPad apps but not of mixed apps.

Today, I have started to port the component to HxCPP on my local windows.

I am wondering if I would better aim at ObjectiveC integration of this
component or aim at making a Titanium one.

While Business wise, it makes more sense to port it to Objective C.
I am the bottleneck in this process as I have never done any Apple product
based apps and also have others stuff to do in parallel so I want to
minimize risk of slipping date first.

Have some of you done something similar before and can enlight me?

Thanks!

Stephane

haXe - an open source web programming language http://haxe.org

Re: IPad Dev.

sledorze
I didn't know Corona, Thanks!
The component is manipulating images to doing some pixel based deformation in order to fit on a naked woman (almost).
It made to build outfits.
So there's some web service access and a programmatic interface for the third party to integrate.
So the typical app would provide some cloth browsing and the ability to add / remove it from the woman in an interactive way (i.e. I need to keep state of the current cloths and the woman around, not re loading at each modification).

As you know both Corona and Titanium; What would be the advantage of one over the other in my situation (component done in Haxe with mainly only using pixel manipulation over the bitmap api)?

Thanks!

Stephane

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 11:44 AM, Lee Sylvester [via Haxe] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/IPad-Dev-tp6168488p6168532.html

Stéphane Le Dorze

Tel: +33 (0) 6 08  76 70 15

Re: IPad Dev.

Lee Sylvester

You do know that ImageMagick has binaries for iOS???  Using the Titanium Module SDK, you could wrap it in Titanium and build your app that way…  Alternatively, you could recompile nMagick for iOS and use hxCPP as your platform.  For an image heavy app, hxCPP would probably cause the least headaches, as neither Titanium nor Corona have image manipulation functionality built in.

Lee

--

Stéphane Le Dorze

Tel: +33 (0) 6 08  76 70 15

Re: IPad Dev.

sledorze
Mmmmm..
My question is more about finding the potential issues and viable solutions for embedding hxcpp for an external project.
(I am finishing the basic hxcpp port on windows and want to be prepared for the iOS dev when it's done).

I need 2 things:
- Make it available for casual non haxers progs, so make it accessible in Titanium and/or ObjectiveC plateform.
- Have that performing very fast (hence the hxcpp choice).

Today the app works in Flash and JS (JS being slow on certain browsers however); I need to only port the simple pixel and bitmap abstraction I've done, but thought that one of them being available for Flash, I thought it will work with NME on IOS without any additional library need (regardless of how cool it is, if there's no added value).

So I'm still open for more information :)

Thanks for helping!
Stephane

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 12:52 PM, Lee Sylvester [via Haxe] <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/IPad-Dev-tp6168488p6168736.html

Stéphane Le Dorze

Tel: +33 (0) 6 08  76 70 15

Re: IPad Dev.

MartinLindelof
Lee did mention this in the "haXe vs C++" thread.

"The output is C++, so that code can be modified at will to the users own ends. This is important, as it means haXe can be used to produce elements of a greater application "

I'm not 100% sure but maybe you can get access to your C++ code from ObjC via Carbon.

--
Martin Lindelöf
www.medborgarplatsen.com

On Monday, March 14, 2011 at 1:29 PM, sledorze wrote:

[...]

Yes, that is possible.  It is even the preference of some iOS devs to create a base Obj-C stub which is built on using C++.

Lee

Re: IPad Dev.

sledorze
I thought one can mix ObjectiveC and cpp code together.
Didn't know Carbon either..

I am now stuck with haxe -> cpp issues (They must be quite new as I got a lot of them..)..

I'm going back to the server side code until got a better vision of what can be done and/or can make some cpp progress..

Stephane

Re: IPad Dev.

Baluta Cristian
Carbon? Do you mean Cocoa Touch? That's only the iphone UI, and you can mix obj-c with c++, that's why hxcpp works for iphone.
If you can't do the entire application in haxe it's pointless to edit the generated sources later.

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 4:46 PM, sledorze <[hidden email]> wrote:
I thought one can mix ObjectiveC and cpp code together.
Didn't know Carbon either..

I am now stuck with haxe -> cpp issues (They must be quite new as I got a
lot of them..)..

I'm going back to the server side code until got a better vision of what can
be done and/or can make some cpp progress..

Stephane

Băluță Cristian
http://ralcr.com
http://imagin.ro

Re: IPad Dev.

MartinLindelof
Nah I mean the Apple Carbon API, http://developer.apple.com/carbon/

--
Martin Lindelöf
www.medborgarplatsen.com

On Monday, March 14, 2011 at 4:10 PM, Baluta Cristian wrote:

Carbon? Do you mean Cocoa Touch? That's only the iphone UI, and you can mix obj-c with c++, that's why hxcpp works for iphone.
If you can't do the entire application in haxe it's pointless to edit the generated sources later.

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 4:46 PM, sledorze <[hidden email]> wrote:
I thought one can mix ObjectiveC and cpp code together.
Didn't know Carbon either..

I am now stuck with haxe -> cpp issues (They must be quite new as I got a
lot of them..)..

I'm going back to the server side code until got a better vision of what can
be done and/or can make some cpp progress..

Stephane

Băluță Cristian
http://ralcr.com
http://imagin.ro

Re: IPad Dev.

Not sure exactly what you are trying to do here, but interacting with the
hxcpp
code can be a bit tricky.  The hxcpp runtime does its own garbage
collection,
which works fine when it controls all the code, but if you want to
interact with it with external objects then you will need to explicitly
consider GC.

Hugh

> [...]
>> of the current cloths and the woman around, not re loading at each
>> modification).
>>

>> As you know both Corona and Titanium; What would be the advantage of one
>> over the other in my situation (component done in Haxe with mainly only
>> using pixel manipulation over the bitmap api)?
>>

>> Thanks!
>>

>> Stephane
>>

>> On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 11:44 AM, Lee Sylvester [via Haxe] <[hidden
>> email]<http://user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=6168583&i=0&by-user=t&by-user=t>>
>> wrote:
>>
>> What does the app do?  It's better to avoid Obj-C unless you're very
>> familiar with it.  If you're writing a game, use Corona
>> (www.anscamobile.com), otherwise, use Titanium... Both will give you
>> what
>> you need in a rapid timescale.  Obj-C will slow you right down!!!

Re: IPad Dev.

sledorze
That's exactly the kind of surprise I wanted to know about beforehand.
The kind of interaction I have in mind is pretty simple;

I consider I'll talk from Objective C to HaxeCpp via a static class which will own some data statically (a singleton).

All calls are synchronous.

The Objective C code would then also provide the buffer to which the haxe code would dump the result image.

This would result in no object shared and a statically class interface.

This is the worst case.
At best, to prevent freezing the UI while some images are retrieved from internet; I think I could do some pooling from the Objective C side to check for Image buffer updates.

I think this scenario is conservative enough.. but would be happy to know more about your thoughts..

Stephane