IPHONE_VER environment variable overwritten by default .hxcpp_config.xml

IPHONE_VER environment variable overwritten by default .hxcpp_config.xml

Joshua Harlan Lifton
I'm on Mac OS 10.6.8 trying to build NME from the latest SVN revisions
(hxcpp @ r368 and nekonme @ r836). I'd set the IPHONE_VER variable to
4.3, however the g++ command line kept referencing the 4.2 SDK. I
finally tracked the problem to a default .hxcpp_config.xml file in my
home directory that had been placed there as part of Mac build process
of hxcpp. This brings up three issues:

1) Should any build process be sprinkling default config files that
automatically take precedence over other forms of configuration, like
environment variables exported by .bashrc? I don't think so, but maybe
there's a reason I'm not aware of.

2) Should the default version number for iOS (4.2) be lagging behind
the latest version of iOS (4.3)? Again, I don't think so. There seem
to be good reasons stick with Mac OS 10.6 rather than defaulting to
10.7, but I don't know of any reasons for sticking with iOS 4.2.

3) It would be nice to a document of some sort that lists which
versions of what target operating systems are used by default and how
to change those defaults. I think this would be very useful to the
average NME user (i.e., the user that doesn't build NME from scratch).

Cheers,
Josh

Re: IPHONE_VER environment variable overwritten by default .hxcpp_config.xml

Gamehaxe
Yes,
Sorry about the stuff up with the default of IPHONE_VER.

The move to a default hxcpp_config.xml is part of a grander plan
to have a definitive way of setting up a build environment.
Ironically, the move was supposed to prevent problems like this.

The idea is to support setup from .bashrc for power users, but
tell new people to edit this config file as the supported way.

I should actually work out a way to get the iphone-version from
the files installed on the hard-drive.

Hugh

> I'm on Mac OS 10.6.8 trying to build NME from the latest SVN revisions
> (hxcpp @ r368 and nekonme @ r836). I'd set the IPHONE_VER variable to
> 4.3, however the g++ command line kept referencing the 4.2 SDK. I
> finally tracked the problem to a default .hxcpp_config.xml file in my
> home directory that had been placed there as part of Mac build process
> of hxcpp. This brings up three issues:
>
> 1) Should any build process be sprinkling default config files that
> automatically take precedence over other forms of configuration, like
> environment variables exported by .bashrc? I don't think so, but maybe
> there's a reason I'm not aware of.
>
> 2) Should the default version number for iOS (4.2) be lagging behind
> the latest version of iOS (4.3)? Again, I don't think so. There seem
> to be good reasons stick with Mac OS 10.6 rather than defaulting to
> 10.7, but I don't know of any reasons for sticking with iOS 4.2.
>
> 3) It would be nice to a document of some sort that lists which
> versions of what target operating systems are used by default and how
> to change those defaults. I think this would be very useful to the
> average NME user (i.e., the user that doesn't build NME from scratch).
>
> Cheers,
> Josh

Re: IPHONE_VER environment variable overwritten by default .hxcpp_config.xml

Joshua Harlan Lifton
> I should actually work out a way to get the iphone-version from
> the files installed on the hard-drive.

This is a good idea. I think it makes sense to default to the latest
version of iOS found on the hard drive, even if it's common for
developers to have more than one iOS SDK version installed.

Josh