[IMPORTANT] Moving to Google Groups

I think it's time for us to move the mailing list discussions to a
proper Google Group.

There are many good reasons for that :

- better support than our old mailing list system
- more easy to post/read from web directly
- more newcomer-friendly
- known neutral system
- less tied to Motion-Twin (feels more open source)
- better archives/search
- ... and much more

I have created the Google group, it's called "haxelang" (haxe was taken
already, and full of p0rn spam), you can subscribe from here :

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!forum/haxelang

Then you'll be able to sent messages to the following address :

    [hidden email]

Please don't start posting topics there yet, since nobody is subscribed
yet. I'll make sure to send a proper invitation to each
not-yet-subscribed member in a few days, and will then disable posting
here to we start talking there, early next week.

Enjoy !

Re: [IMPORTANT] Moving to Google Groups

sledorze
Great decision! :)

Re: [IMPORTANT] Moving to Google Groups

bruno baudry
ohhh, nice Justin Beiber haircut Nicolas ! ;)

Re: [IMPORTANT] Moving to Google Groups

Philipp Klose-2
Is there any change to import this mailing list into the new google
group? Otherwise you have search two mailing lists if you looking for an
answer to a question asked before.

On 10.11.2011 07:18, Nicolas Cannasse wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think it's time for us to move the mailing list discussions to a
> proper Google Group.
>
> There are many good reasons for that :
>
> - better support than our old mailing list system
> - more easy to post/read from web directly
> - more newcomer-friendly
> - known neutral system
> - less tied to Motion-Twin (feels more open source)
> - better archives/search
> - ... and much more
>
> I have created the Google group, it's called "haxelang" (haxe was
> taken already, and full of p0rn spam), you can subscribe from here :
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!forum/haxelang
>
> Then you'll be able to sent messages to the following address :
>
>    [hidden email]
>
> Please don't start posting topics there yet, since nobody is
> subscribed yet. I'll make sure to send a proper invitation to each
> not-yet-subscribed member in a few days, and will then disable posting
> here to we start talking there, early next week.
>
> Enjoy !

Re: [IMPORTANT] Moving to Google Groups

victor / tokiop
Hi Nicolas and fellows,

Sorry for popping, i'm mainly lurking/learning on the list, because the
average discussion level is above mine. This decision is quick..

> - better support than our old mailing list system
> - more easy to post/read from web directly
> - more newcomer-friendly
> - better archives/search

Could a haxe based list reader/sender à la Nabble, integrated to the
forum, do the job ? If so, I would like to work on it and can start quickly.

> - known neutral system
> - less tied to Motion-Twin (feels more open source)

I feel better beeing tied to Motion-Twin than being tied to Google,
which is built on ads and profiling. Their position regarding user
privacy/security, and open-source are not obvious for me. Maybe "known
neutral system" could be developed ?

HaXe seems the right tool for liberating from corporate-web (haXe OS
utopia). The addition of the haXe-made forum to the main site was an
interesting move towards this, providing real-life examples of haxe
usage, common tools, in a do it yourself, sustainable and cross target
web apps spirit.

I guess i'm missing something, any insight is very welcome !

Victor

Re: [IMPORTANT] Moving to Google Groups

m5no1
oh, google group was blocked by GOV in china

Re: [IMPORTANT] Moving to Google Groups

Nicolas Cannasse
Le 16/11/2011 04:46, m5no1 a écrit :
> oh, google group was blocked by GOV in china

Oh really ? Can't you access it through web or a proxy ?

Re: [IMPORTANT] Moving to Google Groups

Benjamin Dasnois

Hi,

Nicolas, I actually wonder what or who suddenly changed your mind about the ML.  I loved it and think that groups are more difficult to follow. Moreover, this had been discussed several times and we chose to keep the ML. Then, all of a sudden you decide to change. What happened? :)

Regards,

Benjamin Dasnois

Le 16 nov. 2011 09:17, "Nicolas Cannasse" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Le 16/11/2011 04:46, m5no1 a écrit :
oh, google group was blocked by GOV in china

Oh really ? Can't you access it through web or a proxy ?

Re: [IMPORTANT] Moving to Google Groups

Cauê W.
I also think that the transition was very positive. Google groups has all features the old mailing list had, plus much more!

By the way, when should we stop using here?

Cheers!

2011/11/16 Viktor Hesselbom <[hidden email]>
I like the change!

viktor hesselbom

2011/11/16 Benjamin Dasnois <[hidden email]>

Hi,

Nicolas, I actually wonder what or who suddenly changed your mind about the ML.  I loved it and think that groups are more difficult to follow. Moreover, this had been discussed several times and we chose to keep the ML. Then, all of a sudden you decide to change. What happened? :)

Regards,

Benjamin Dasnois

Le 16 nov. 2011 09:17, "Nicolas Cannasse" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Le 16/11/2011 04:46, m5no1 a écrit :
oh, google group was blocked by GOV in china

Oh really ? Can't you access it through web or a proxy ?

Re: [IMPORTANT] Moving to Google Groups

Baluta Cristian
I used gmail from the start and had no problems. I guess i'll fill no change if i stick to the mail. But if it's not working in China i think we have a problem then.

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 12:20 PM, Viktor Hesselbom <[hidden email]> wrote:
I like the change!

viktor hesselbom

2011/11/16 Benjamin Dasnois <[hidden email]>

Hi,

Nicolas, I actually wonder what or who suddenly changed your mind about the ML.  I loved it and think that groups are more difficult to follow. Moreover, this had been discussed several times and we chose to keep the ML. Then, all of a sudden you decide to change. What happened? :)

Regards,

Benjamin Dasnois

Le 16 nov. 2011 09:17, "Nicolas Cannasse" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Le 16/11/2011 04:46, m5no1 a écrit :
oh, google group was blocked by GOV in china

Oh really ? Can't you access it through web or a proxy ?

Băluță Cristian
http://ralcr.com
http://imagin.ro

Le 16/11/2011 13:27, Cauê Waneck a écrit :
> I also think that the transition was very positive. Google groups has
> all features the old mailing list had, plus much more!
>
> By the way, when should we stop using here?

Due to annoying limits to invite current haXe members to new group, it
will take a bit more time than expected.

But since most of the regulars already subscribed there I think you
should modify your mail bookmark and create new topics using

Re: [IMPORTANT] Moving to Google Groups

Tony Polinelli
I think the change is very positive.

To remind people to move, a templated message should be replied to all new topics, eg-

"this mailing list is being migrated to google groups. Please join xxx and repost the topic"

A little reminder that the new list can also be used via email, might be good too

This would greatly help people who have missed the transition, like me (currently traveling)

Cheers

On Wednesday, November 16, 2011, Nicolas Cannasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Le 16/11/2011 13:27, Cauê Waneck a écrit :
>>
>> I also think that the transition was very positive. Google groups has
>> all features the old mailing list had, plus much more!
>>
>> By the way, when should we stop using here?
>
> Due to annoying limits to invite current haXe members to new group, it will take a bit more time than expected.
>
> But since most of the regulars already subscribed there I think you should modify your mail bookmark and create new topics using [hidden email]
>
> Best,

Re: [IMPORTANT] Moving to Google Groups

Franco Ponticelli
I totally agree with Tony.

Franco

Le 16/11/2011 16:00, Franco Ponticelli a écrit :
> I totally agree with Tony.
>
> Franco

Will setup auto-reply once I have sent all the invitations already +
wait a few days.

Re: [IMPORTANT] Moving to Google Groups

m5no1
yes  i'll access it through a vpn,although it's a little complex,but google group a nice idea.

Re: [IMPORTANT] Moving to Google Groups

danielku15
Awesome.

I always used nabble because it has a great forum like view on the mailing list but it still has the cons of a mailing list (messages waiting for approval, need to subscribe the list, all the mails coming in).

A mailing list is quite a deprecated system to a lot of people out there (including me) and a system like Google Groups gives the support a more modern "flair".

See you on Google Groups, I'm out.

Cheers
Daniel

Re: [IMPORTANT] Moving to Google Groups

*bump*

On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 22:18:59 -0800, Nicolas Cannasse

> I think it's time for us to move the mailing list discussions to a
> proper Google Group.
>
> There are many good reasons for that :
>
> - better support than our old mailing list system
> - more easy to post/read from web directly
> - more newcomer-friendly
> - known neutral system
> - less tied to Motion-Twin (feels more open source)
> - better archives/search
> - ... and much more
>
> I have created the Google group, it's called "haxelang" (haxe was taken
> already, and full of p0rn spam), you can subscribe from here :
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!forum/haxelang
>
> Then you'll be able to sent messages to the following address :
>
>     [hidden email]
>
> Please don't start posting topics there yet, since nobody is subscribed
> yet. I'll make sure to send a proper invitation to each
> not-yet-subscribed member in a few days, and will then disable posting
> here to we start talking there, early next week.
>
> Enjoy !

Re: [IMPORTANT] Moving to Google Groups

Raoul Duke
so, er, maybe perhaps can somebody close the old list for pete's sake?
put in a bounce message telling people to redirect themselves.

Le 21/12/2011 23:59, Raoul Duke a écrit :
> so, er, maybe perhaps can somebody close the old list for pete's sake?
> put in a bounce message telling people to redirect themselves.

Yes I need to do that, but I only have the password at work and I always
forgot while I'm there :)