IDE for haXe in haXe

back2dos
Hi,

I've stumbled on a lot of discussions about haXe in the last 4-5 weeks,
and been thinking a lot about haXe recently.
Probably anyone will agree, that haXe is a great language, but lacks the
eco-system other languages provide.

I think what'd really help haXe would be to have a good haXe-centered
IDE, rather than countless plugins.
And since everyone has his own idea, why this and that is better, why
not write it in haXe and from scratch?
We all agree, that haXe is good, and that there is enough potential in
the community to do this.

The basis would be

 1. JS/Flash GUI & Neko Backend for interfacing with compiler,
filesystem etc.
 2. SWHX
 3. AIR

The fundamental features (I am very much inspired by FlashDevelop here,
because I am very happy with it, but it also probably limits my
imagination ;))

 - text component, possibly with syntax highlighting
 - communication layer to file system and haXe compiler
 - file, project and build management
 - plugin and menu system, to include build
 - haxelib integration, which can also be used for plugin distribution
and updates, including an integrated haxelib gui

Plugin ideas

 - swfmill/SamHaxe integration
 - output/result panel, for outputing compiler feedback, traces and
runtime errors to (allowing to jump to the right lines)
 - refactoring and code generation
 - debugger integration
 - automated haxe update (possibly get a CVS build)
 - API reference integration

I have quite some more ideas and questions, but I wanted to keep this short.
I can't design this on my own. Even if I could, I wouldn't really want
to. I'd like this to become a community effort, our baby so to speak,
instead of having the n-th guerilla solution, each having some ups and
some downs.
There are so many people writing IDE plugins in about any language but
haXe. I'd like to contribute to haXe, but to me it is
a little paradox to really learn a new language (and popular frameworks
necessary to actually use it), other than OCaml, to do so. Building this
IDE would help us focus our energy, and also be a possibility to show
something about haXe abilities. (Next step would be to port haXe
compiler to haXe :D).

I suggest we gather some ideas and then have an IRC meeting on this some
time soon, maybe this or next saturday, 16:30 UTC?

greetz
back2dos

Re: IDE for haXe in haXe

Nathan Rixham
Juraj Kirchheim wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've stumbled on a lot of discussions about haXe in the last 4-5 weeks,
> and been thinking a lot about haXe recently.
> Probably anyone will agree, that haXe is a great language, but lacks the
> eco-system other languages provide.
>
> I think what'd really help haXe would be to have a good haXe-centered
> IDE, rather than countless plugins.

do us developers need another IDE? personally I'm trying my hardest to
stick to one for all; primarily for productivity reasons.

further, unsure that an air based dev environment would be a good
thing.. especially when you get down to profiling and debugging with
break points etc - just can't see it somehow?

all in though, I'm not against the idea and couldn't agree more that we
need a much better ecosystem, decent ide being essential.

finally.. I'd rather see all efforts going towards improving and
finishing what is already available, rather than starting again and
having another 50% complete haxe IDE.

:-)

Re: IDE for haXe in haXe

Ron Wheeler
Nathan Rixham wrote:

> Juraj Kirchheim wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've stumbled on a lot of discussions about haXe in the last 4-5
>> weeks, and been thinking a lot about haXe recently.
>> Probably anyone will agree, that haXe is a great language, but lacks
>> the eco-system other languages provide.
>>
>> I think what'd really help haXe would be to have a good haXe-centered
>> IDE, rather than countless plugins.
>
> do us developers need another IDE? personally I'm trying my hardest to
> stick to one for all; primarily for productivity reasons.
>
> further, unsure that an air based dev environment would be a good
> thing.. especially when you get down to profiling and debugging with
> break points etc - just can't see it somehow?
>
> all in though, I'm not against the idea and couldn't agree more that
> we need a much better ecosystem, decent ide being essential.
>
> finally.. I'd rather see all efforts going towards improving and
> finishing what is already available, rather than starting again and
> having another 50% complete haxe IDE.
>
> :-)

I agree.
Eclipse is a multi-language IDE with a haXe plug-in.
I want my IDE to do XML, Java, SOA and haXE with support for
modelling,editing, compiling, testing and deploying.
An IDE for each language creates another barrier for users adopting haXe.

If there are any features that you want that are not in the Eclipse
haXe  plug-in, make a request.

Ron

Re: IDE for haXe in haXe

Tommy Ettinger
On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 10:54 AM, Juraj Kirchheim<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've stumbled on a lot of discussions about haXe in the last 4-5 weeks, and
> been thinking a lot about haXe recently.
> Probably anyone will agree, that haXe is a great language, but lacks the
> eco-system other languages provide.

I certainly agree :-) .  I've been using jEdit, and while the new
guide on the wiki helps, it's no Eclipse or Netbeans.

> I think what'd really help haXe would be to have a good haXe-centered IDE,
> rather than countless plugins.
> And since everyone has his own idea, why this and that is better, why not
> write it in haXe and from scratch?
> We all agree, that haXe is good, and that there is enough potential in the
> community to do this.

Sounds like a good idea, but I'm anything but a haXe expert -- I could
contribute by testing, though.

> The basis would be
>
> 1. JS/Flash GUI & Neko Backend for interfacing with compiler, filesystem
> etc.
> 2. SWHX
> 3. AIR

Here I disagree with you.  You really don't need AIR and all its
install issues if you are using SWHX.  Flash GUI might be a better
choice than JS unless we aim for accessibility and use a good JS
framework (aren't many IDEs that strongly support, say,
vision-impaired programmers, but this isn't a huge omission if we
can't use something on the JS side).

> The fundamental features (I am very much inspired by FlashDevelop here,
> because I am very happy with it, but it also probably limits my imagination
> ;))
>
> - text component, possibly with syntax highlighting
> - communication layer to file system and haXe compiler
> - file, project and build management
> - plugin and menu system, to include build
> - haxelib integration, which can also be used for plugin distribution and
> updates, including an integrated haxelib gui

Yes, yes, yes!  All good stuff.

> Plugin ideas
>
> - swfmill/SamHaxe integration
> - output/result panel, for outputing compiler feedback, traces and runtime
> errors to (allowing to jump to the right lines)
> - refactoring and code generation
> - debugger integration
> - automated haxe update (possibly get a CVS build)
> - API reference integration

SamHaxe looks good, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet; probably
would be good to have swfmill/SamHaxe integration early on.
Similarly, the output panel would be handy early on, as would debugger
integration (is there such a thing for haXe, though?).  Refactoring
and code generation would sure be nice; those are some of my favorite
features in Eclipse.  I could do without the update feature and API
integration (if I'm developing in haXe, I probably have a browser open
anyway).

> I have quite some more ideas and questions, but I wanted to keep this short.
> I can't design this on my own. Even if I could, I wouldn't really want to.
> I'd like this to become a community effort, our baby so to speak, instead of
> having the n-th guerilla solution, each having some ups and some downs.
> There are so many people writing IDE plugins in about any language but haXe.
> I'd like to contribute to haXe, but to me it is
> a little paradox to really learn a new language (and popular frameworks
> necessary to actually use it), other than OCaml, to do so. Building this IDE
> would help us focus our energy, and also be a possibility to show something
> about haXe abilities. (Next step would be to port haXe compiler to haXe :D).

Not to sound pessimistic, but if this is too big of a project for the
community members who chose to work on it, NetBeans is supposed to
have pretty easy plugin development, although I haven't tried.

> I suggest we gather some ideas and then have an IRC meeting on this some
> time soon, maybe this or next saturday, 16:30 UTC?

I'll try to stay online just in case.

> greetz
> back2dos

Thomas (Tommy) Ettinger

Re: IDE for haXe in haXe

Baluta Cristian
what would be useful an ide that is not able to do animations like the flash ide?

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 9:14 PM, Nathan Rixham <[hidden email]> wrote:
Juraj Kirchheim wrote:
[...]

Băluță Cristian
http://ralcr.com
http://imagin.ro

Re: IDE for haXe in haXe

Tommy Ettinger
On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Ron
Wheeler<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nathan Rixham wrote:
>>
>> Juraj Kirchheim wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've stumbled on a lot of discussions about haXe in the last 4-5 weeks,
>>> and been thinking a lot about haXe recently.
>>> Probably anyone will agree, that haXe is a great language, but lacks the
>>> eco-system other languages provide.
>>>
>>> I think what'd really help haXe would be to have a good haXe-centered
>>> IDE, rather than countless plugins.
>>
>> do us developers need another IDE? personally I'm trying my hardest to
>> stick to one for all; primarily for productivity reasons.
>>
>> further, unsure that an air based dev environment would be a good thing..
>> especially when you get down to profiling and debugging with break points
>> etc - just can't see it somehow?
>>
>> all in though, I'm not against the idea and couldn't agree more that we
>> need a much better ecosystem, decent ide being essential.
>>
>> finally.. I'd rather see all efforts going towards improving and finishing
>> what is already available, rather than starting again and having another 50%
>> complete haxe IDE.
>>
>> :-)
>>
> I agree.
> Eclipse is a multi-language IDE with a haXe plug-in.
> I want my IDE to do XML, Java, SOA and haXE with support for
> modelling,editing, compiling, testing and deploying.
> An IDE for each language creates another barrier for users adopting haXe.

This is a good point, but part of the purpose of writing the haXe IDE
in haXe was to demonstrate the language's capability.

> If there are any features that you want that are not in the Eclipse haXe
>  plug-in, make a request.

Mac support?  Not sure if it has that yet...

> Ron

Thomas (Tommy) Ettinger

Re: IDE for haXe in haXe

Armén
Just for the record, Eclipse idles at 40% on my setup. Ubuntu 9.04
32-bit x86, generally works fine. I don't want to use an IDE that
warms up my laptop. It is not acceptable, despite its feature list.

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 20:49, Ron Wheeler<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nathan Rixham wrote:
>>
>> Juraj Kirchheim wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've stumbled on a lot of discussions about haXe in the last 4-5 weeks,
>>> and been thinking a lot about haXe recently.
>>> Probably anyone will agree, that haXe is a great language, but lacks the
>>> eco-system other languages provide.
>>>
>>> I think what'd really help haXe would be to have a good haXe-centered
>>> IDE, rather than countless plugins.
>>
>> do us developers need another IDE? personally I'm trying my hardest to
>> stick to one for all; primarily for productivity reasons.
>>
>> further, unsure that an air based dev environment would be a good thing..
>> especially when you get down to profiling and debugging with break points
>> etc - just can't see it somehow?
>>
>> all in though, I'm not against the idea and couldn't agree more that we
>> need a much better ecosystem, decent ide being essential.
>>
>> finally.. I'd rather see all efforts going towards improving and finishing
>> what is already available, rather than starting again and having another 50%
>> complete haxe IDE.
>>
>> :-)
>>
> I agree.
> Eclipse is a multi-language IDE with a haXe plug-in.
> I want my IDE to do XML, Java, SOA and haXE with support for
> modelling,editing, compiling, testing and deploying.
> An IDE for each language creates another barrier for users adopting haXe.
>
> If there are any features that you want that are not in the Eclipse haXe
>  plug-in, make a request.
>
> Ron

Re: IDE for haXe in haXe

Nathan Rixham
Ron Wheeler wrote:

> Nathan Rixham wrote:
>> Juraj Kirchheim wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've stumbled on a lot of discussions about haXe in the last 4-5
>>> weeks, and been thinking a lot about haXe recently.
>>> Probably anyone will agree, that haXe is a great language, but lacks
>>> the eco-system other languages provide.
>>>
>>> I think what'd really help haXe would be to have a good haXe-centered
>>> IDE, rather than countless plugins.
>>
>> do us developers need another IDE? personally I'm trying my hardest to
>> stick to one for all; primarily for productivity reasons.
>>
>> further, unsure that an air based dev environment would be a good
>> thing.. especially when you get down to profiling and debugging with
>> break points etc - just can't see it somehow?
>>
>> all in though, I'm not against the idea and couldn't agree more that
>> we need a much better ecosystem, decent ide being essential.
>>
>> finally.. I'd rather see all efforts going towards improving and
>> finishing what is already available, rather than starting again and
>> having another 50% complete haxe IDE.
>>
>> :-)
>>
> I agree.
> Eclipse is a multi-language IDE with a haXe plug-in.
> I want my IDE to do XML, Java, SOA and haXE with support for
> modelling,editing, compiling, testing and deploying.
> An IDE for each language creates another barrier for users adopting haXe.
>
> If there are any features that you want that are not in the Eclipse
> haXe  plug-in, make a request.
>
> Ron

Actually v interested to helping out with eclipse haxe plugin as soon as
I get a chance, partial free time from mid october onwards, lots of time
from december + eclipse plugin dev experience :)

regards!

Re: IDE for haXe in haXe

Tommy Ettinger
On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 11:56 AM, [hidden email]<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Just for the record, Eclipse idles at 40% on my setup. Ubuntu 9.04
> 32-bit x86, generally works fine. I don't want to use an IDE that
> warms up my laptop. It is not acceptable, despite its feature list.

This haXe IDE might do the same thing though -- does anyone know if
SWHX apps (Neko/Flash) are more CPU-efficient than comparable Java/SWT
apps?

> On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 20:49, Ron Wheeler<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Nathan Rixham wrote:

>>> do us developers need another IDE? personally I'm trying my hardest to
>>> stick to one for all; primarily for productivity reasons.
>>>
>>> further, unsure that an air based dev environment would be a good thing..
>>> especially when you get down to profiling and debugging with break points
>>> etc - just can't see it somehow?
>>>
>>> all in though, I'm not against the idea and couldn't agree more that we
>>> need a much better ecosystem, decent ide being essential.
>>>
>>> finally.. I'd rather see all efforts going towards improving and finishing
>>> what is already available, rather than starting again and having another 50%
>>> complete haxe IDE.
>>>
>>> :-)
>>>
>> I agree.
>> Eclipse is a multi-language IDE with a haXe plug-in.
>> I want my IDE to do XML, Java, SOA and haXE with support for
>> modelling,editing, compiling, testing and deploying.
>> An IDE for each language creates another barrier for users adopting haXe.
>>
>> If there are any features that you want that are not in the Eclipse haXe
>>  plug-in, make a request.
>>
>> Ron

Thomas (Tommy) Ettinger

Re: IDE for haXe in haXe

Nathan Rixham
[hidden email] wrote:
> Just for the record, Eclipse idles at 40% on my setup. Ubuntu 9.04
> 32-bit x86, generally works fine. I don't want to use an IDE that
> warms up my laptop. It is not acceptable, despite its feature list.

sounds like a faulty install to me, got the same setup and it runs sweet
as candy

Re: IDE for haXe in haXe

gershon
have a couple of thing to say regrading all this, please read my post http://lists.motion-twin.com/pipermail/haxe/2009-September/029348.html, it describes current features of the swfmill frontend.

most my development is done with jedit being the most cpu-intense ide, the current app in development takes much less cpu, though is still not as responsive...
running with a neko backend some of the more intense operations can be written as c modules, on the flash side, running in a browser is great coz, like Tommy said, its probably open anyway, you could also use JS to manipulate other open pages (like docs\logs...), and generally integrate\utilize all haxe targets...

got basic completion for xml tags also working, a simple stack of open tags is kept, and the next '</' will be replaces with the proper tag...
once i finish with the filesystem, i'll start with networking capabilities, stuff like a builtin plugin for Russell's irc client (http://code.google.com/p/caffeine-hx/source/browse/#svn/trunk/ext2/clients/irc)

anyway, the editor could be extended to doing much more, but a haxe frontend is not a one man job...
i've picked swfmill first as its simpler to wrap, but believe that a full haxe ide is as possible as needed ;)

[hidden email] wrote:
> Just for the record, Eclipse idles at 40% on my setup. Ubuntu 9.04
> 32-bit x86, generally works fine. I don't want to use an IDE that
> warms up my laptop. It is not acceptable, despite its feature list.

I leave it running in the background and it uses almost 0%.
System idle has accumulated 81 hours and 25 minutes.
Firefox has 4 hours and 27 minutes - a real CPU hog even if you are not
looking at anything.
crss has used 2 hours and 40 minutes
Windows sidebar 1 hour and 1 minute
Java VM 37 minutes - could be eclipse or another of the Java aps that I
run.
They get small from there - System 22 minutes, Skype 14, Thunderbird 13 ....

If the Java app is Eclipse it is less than 1%. It could be Open Office,
Freemind or any number of other Java packages that I use.

You must have a plug-in that is not very friendly

Ron

> On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 20:49, Ron Wheeler<[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Nathan Rixham wrote:

>>> do us developers need another IDE? personally I'm trying my hardest to
>>> stick to one for all; primarily for productivity reasons.
>>>
>>> further, unsure that an air based dev environment would be a good thing..
>>> especially when you get down to profiling and debugging with break points
>>> etc - just can't see it somehow?
>>>
>>> all in though, I'm not against the idea and couldn't agree more that we
>>> need a much better ecosystem, decent ide being essential.
>>>
>>> finally.. I'd rather see all efforts going towards improving and finishing
>>> what is already available, rather than starting again and having another 50%
>>> complete haxe IDE.
>>>
>>> :-)
>>>

>> I agree.
>> Eclipse is a multi-language IDE with a haXe plug-in.
>> I want my IDE to do XML, Java, SOA and haXE with support for
>> modelling,editing, compiling, testing and deploying.
>> An IDE for each language creates another barrier for users adopting haXe.
>>
>> If there are any features that you want that are not in the Eclipse haXe
>>  plug-in, make a request.
>>
>> Ron

Re: IDE for haXe in haXe

Armén
On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 06:06, Ron Wheeler<[hidden email]> wrote:
> You must have a plug-in that is not very friendly

Probably. My install is part of Papyrus, which is a customized Eclipse
distribution. I used to use Papyrus for UML modelling, but dropped it
because of this very same problem with CPU usage.

Downloading Eclipse 3.5.0 now...

> Ron
>
>> On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 20:49, Ron Wheeler<[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> I agree.
>>> Eclipse is a multi-language IDE with a haXe plug-in.
>>> I want my IDE to do XML, Java, SOA and haXE with support for
>>> modelling,editing, compiling, testing and deploying.
>>> An IDE for each language creates another barrier for users adopting haXe.
>>>
>>> If there are any features that you want that are not in the Eclipse haXe
>>>  plug-in, make a request.
>>>
>>> Ron

Re: IDE for haXe in haXe

Ron Wheeler
[hidden email] wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 06:06, Ron Wheeler<[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> You must have a plug-in that is not very friendly
>>

> Probably. My install is part of Papyrus, which is a customized Eclipse
> distribution. I used to use Papyrus for UML modelling, but dropped it
> because of this very same problem with CPU usage.
>
> Downloading Eclipse 3.5.0 now...

I am using the Springsource version which has all of the stuff that we
need for Java development with Spring.
One probably still has to add some UML tools. We are still using ArgoUML
for most of our modelling.

Ron

>> Ron

Re: IDE for haXe in haXe