HxSL to HLSL in WebGL

Michael Cann
Please excuse the acronymtastic subject. For some time now I have been playing around with WebGL.

HaXe makes life so much easyier however after reading about the awesome stuff Nicolas has done with HxSL for Stage3D I was wondering if it was possible to bring HxSL to the WebGL world too? How much work would it be?

Re: HxSL to HLSL in WebGL

Cauê W.
Hey Michael!

At HxGL ( https://github.com/m22spencer/HxGL ) we are working on providing a unified api / hxsl for webgl, molehill and desktop/mobile!
It's still not ready, but we're working on it!

Cheers!
Cauê

2011/10/20 Michael Cann <[hidden email]>
Please excuse the acronymtastic subject. For some time now I have been playing around with WebGL.

HaXe makes life so much easyier however after reading about the awesome stuff Nicolas has done with HxSL for Stage3D I was wondering if it was possible to bring HxSL to the WebGL world too? How much work would it be?

Re: HxSL to HLSL in WebGL

Michael Cann
Oh sweet, so you are trying to support OpenGL ES 2.0 with this then?

On 20 October 2011 13:55, Cauê Waneck <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Michael!

At HxGL ( https://github.com/m22spencer/HxGL ) we are working on providing a unified api / hxsl for webgl, molehill and desktop/mobile!
It's still not ready, but we're working on it!

Cheers!
Cauê

2011/10/20 Michael Cann <[hidden email]>
Please excuse the acronymtastic subject. For some time now I have been playing around with WebGL.

HaXe makes life so much easyier however after reading about the awesome stuff Nicolas has done with HxSL for Stage3D I was wondering if it was possible to bring HxSL to the WebGL world too? How much work would it be?

Mike Cann
http://www.mikecann.co.uk/

Re: HxSL to HLSL in WebGL

Cauê W.
Not only OpenGL ES 2.0
We are actually doing an abstract api based on Molehill that could even on the future support other Graphics Libraries, like Direct3D.
Also support for GLs without a programmable shader pipeline will be supported as a fallback, if the user provides hints of the shader used (e.g. is transparent, culling, etc)

Cheers!

Le 20/10/2011 14:45, Michael Cann a écrit :
> Please excuse the acronymtastic subject. For some time now I have been
> playing around with
> <http://mikecann.co.uk/personal-project/gpu-state-preserving-particle-systems-with-webgl-haxe/>
> WebGL.
>
> HaXe makes life so much easyier however after reading about the awesome
> stuff Nicolas has done with HxSL for Stage3D I was wondering if it was
> possible to bring HxSL to the WebGL world too? How much work would it be?

Not a lot of of work actually.

See what is done by format/hxsl/Build.hx : we are using HxSL compiler
than doing a HxSL-to-AGAL compilation (which would need to be replaced
by a HxSL-to-GLSL convertion), then generating some stub code in order
to setup the vertex buffers for Molehill API.

Sources here : http://hxformat.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/format/hxsl/

Re: HxSL to HLSL in WebGL

Michael Cann
Id love to give it a go tho I don't think im really qualified as I haven't got all that much experience with WebGL or writing Macros.

Having said that however I have learnt alot with my latest foray into WebGL with HaXe.

If I get time this weekend i may take a look and see just how hard it could be.