How to get started?

Re: How to get started?

Norbert Melzer
Am 26.11.2011 19:54, schrieb Philipp Klose:

>> So I wanted to try other editors:
>> 1) gedit =>  cant install that plugin from the haxewiki, since a) the
>> installer is buggy, b) the plugin is for gedit 2 and my system ships
>> with gedit 3
> downgrade?

Not possible, gedit 2 does not work with gnome 3, and gnome 2 does not
run when unitiy is installed, deadlock...

>> 6) FlashDevelop and wine =>  does not even start up
> Flash Develop does not work with Wine. There are some people who get
> things some kind of working, but it requires a few patches.
> The easiest way would be to use a tight WinXP installation for FD and
> keep compilation and file system on your Linux by using the bridge that
> ships with the FD sources.

Can I have your copy of WinXP? As mentioned this morning I dont have any
windows licenses.

I switched to linux for most of my life (all private so to say) a few
years ago, it made my life much less expensive...

Re: How to get started?

clemos
> The geany plugin does not work. I am currently considering updating or> writing a new one, but the geany plugin API changes a lot.

While working on the Sublime bundle, I was thinking it would be very
nice to split it in two separate components:
- a python class that acts as a generic helper class and wrapper for
the haXe compiler
- bindings for different text editor that support Python plugins:
Sublime, Gedit, eventually Kate through Pâté
(http://paul.giannaros.org/pate/)
It would really ease the process of writing a plugin as long as the
text editor is extendable with Python.

I'll try this as soon as I have some time.

Cheers,
Clément

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 7:54 PM, Philipp Klose <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 26.11.2011 16:25, Norbert Melzer wrote:
>>
>> Am 26.11.2011 14:34, schrieb Lars Madson:
>>>
>>> Well I never get lost on any outdated information there, I mean, maybe i
>>> did not follow links and just read the information. For an IDE, you
>>> could learn Emacs and enjoy the flow, you just got to start learning
>>> your keyboard and then it's very fast.
>>
>> Since I am more into vim than into emacs, I would be glad when I could
>> avoid to learn another keyboard-scheme and design philosophy.
>>
>> But for vim it always was difficult to deal with more than a handfull of
>> files, at least for me. The most project-tree addons just dont work with
>> my configuration, and I cant figure out why...
>>
>> So I wanted to try other editors:
>> 1) gedit =>  cant install that plugin from the haxewiki, since a) the
>> installer is buggy, b) the plugin is for gedit 2 and my system ships
>> with gedit 3
>
> downgrade?
>>
>> 2) geany =>  seems to support at least sysntax highlighting, but when I
>> click compile it wants to compile the active file with nekoVM as target,
>> and I cant find a way to alter this behaviour.
>
> The geany plugin does not work. I am currently considering updating or
> writing a new one, but the geany plugin API changes a lot.
>>
>> 3) kate =>  After installing kate does not find the plugin, same for
>> other Kdevelop
>> 4) komodo =>  komodo itself seems to work very well, but when I want to
>> download the plugin linked fron the haxe wiki, this file does not exist
>> anymore (HTTP 404)
>> 5) UltraEdit =>  Costs money, dont have it.
>> 6) FlashDevelop and wine =>  does not even start up
>
> Flash Develop does not work with Wine. There are some people who get things
> some kind of working, but it requires a few patches.
> The easiest way would be to use a tight WinXP installation for FD and keep
> compilation and file system on your Linux by using the bridge that ships
> with the FD sources.
>>
>> So there where left FDT and ecliHX. FDT crashes regularly without
>> notice, as mentioned already. EcliHX works well enough and I will stick
>> with it for the time being.
>>
>> Probably I will change my mind later.
>>
>> But as you see, much of the information regarding Linux-Editors is just
>> outdatet and I cant update it, because I miss the level of knowledge.

Re: How to get started?

Adrian Cowan
I have had some success with having one project compile as multiple targets, but in my method I use multiple different entry points and they share common classes, data types and utility routines. I just use conidtional compilation to restrict certain pieces of each class to the platform that it make sense on, the same way you would do it if you wrote a library.

In my project I have 4 targets, 1 PHP (Back-end), 1 JS [with easlehx for canvas, hard-coded html for simple structure and hss for styling] (Front-end), and 2 CPP (Client & Client updater) and I'm considering adding a second JS one, but instead of it being setup for browsers it would compile again as an AIR app.

If you are interested the code is publicly avaliable and I can walk anyone through it, but TBH it is partly a WIP, partly a proof of concept and mostly just a fun experiment (that actually works for once).

Hope you enjoy haXe,
Othrayte.

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 11:55 PM, tom rhodes <[hidden email]> wrote:
just out of curiosity why eclipse? if you're on a windows system try flashdevelop 4. it has a LOT of good haxe support features.

when i first started i was thinking along the lines of having one application which when compiled to php would give me backend and when compiled to JS/flash would give me front end. i'm not sure this is the best approach as they essentially are two different things.

Laurence is right about the --next command in the hxml build files. it will do what you want. then you need to look at conditional compilation (http://haxe.org/ref/conditionals) to acheive what you wnat in one project. you'd most definitely be branching early for server and client in the same codebase :)

you might find that reusing your data classes, or typedefs etc. between the user and client as they share data is good why to get the benefits of haxe without using one uber project to compile to both front and back ends. for instance using SPOD you could have one class to represent the data in a MySQL table, which is used by both the back and the front end of your application.

have a look at this...

and for communication have a look at this...

it's a bit daunting at first but the mailing list is a great resource and documentation is improving all the time (slowly ;)

On 26 November 2011 13:13, Laurence Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:
In a hxml file there is the tag
--next
which allows multiple projects to be compiled sequentially
and
-cmd
which allows command line functions to be called after compilation.

I don't know specifically how ecliHx would handle this, but that's the basic method if you want it seamless.

regards
Laurence

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 11:40 AM, Norbert Melzer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi!

I want to learn a new language, that makes client and serverside coding
as seemless as possible, so this made me return to haXe. I left it a
while ago because of the very bad support in linux related things (Most
of the links to any linux related IDE-stuff are out of date or dead).
But now after getting around some problems with ecliHX (very slow with
openJDK, but with sunJDK it works well enough to get started).

I played around a little bit, and read parts of the wiki and the forum.
But I cant find an explanation how to set up a project, that lets me
write the clientside code and compile it to php or neko and all the
flash and javascript parts for the clientside on the other hand. The
only solution I found so far, is to do everythin in different projects
and puzzle them together by hand, that is not what I consider "seemless" :(

Probably someone on this list can get me a hint how to get started with
this.

Bye
Norbert