How to get started?

Norbert Melzer
Hi!

I want to learn a new language, that makes client and serverside coding
as seemless as possible, so this made me return to haXe. I left it a
while ago because of the very bad support in linux related things (Most
of the links to any linux related IDE-stuff are out of date or dead).
But now after getting around some problems with ecliHX (very slow with
openJDK, but with sunJDK it works well enough to get started).

I played around a little bit, and read parts of the wiki and the forum.
But I cant find an explanation how to set up a project, that lets me
write the clientside code and compile it to php or neko and all the
flash and javascript parts for the clientside on the other hand. The
only solution I found so far, is to do everythin in different projects
and puzzle them together by hand, that is not what I consider "seemless" :(

Probably someone on this list can get me a hint how to get started with
this.

Bye
Norbert

Re: How to get started?

laurence taylor
In a hxml file there is the tag
--next
which allows multiple projects to be compiled sequentially
and
-cmd
which allows command line functions to be called after compilation.

I don't know specifically how ecliHx would handle this, but that's the basic method if you want it seamless.

regards
Laurence

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 11:40 AM, Norbert Melzer <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

tom rhodes
just out of curiosity why eclipse? if you're on a windows system try flashdevelop 4. it has a LOT of good haxe support features.

when i first started i was thinking along the lines of having one application which when compiled to php would give me backend and when compiled to JS/flash would give me front end. i'm not sure this is the best approach as they essentially are two different things.

Laurence is right about the --next command in the hxml build files. it will do what you want. then you need to look at conditional compilation (http://haxe.org/ref/conditionals) to acheive what you wnat in one project. you'd most definitely be branching early for server and client in the same codebase :)

you might find that reusing your data classes, or typedefs etc. between the user and client as they share data is good why to get the benefits of haxe without using one uber project to compile to both front and back ends. for instance using SPOD you could have one class to represent the data in a MySQL table, which is used by both the back and the front end of your application.

have a look at this...

and for communication have a look at this...

it's a bit daunting at first but the mailing list is a great resource and documentation is improving all the time (slowly ;)

Am 26.11.2011 13:55, schrieb tom rhodes:
> just out of curiosity why eclipse? if you're on a windows system try
> flashdevelop 4. it has a LOT of good haxe support features.

As I mentioned before, I am not on windows... Also I dont have my hands
on a license key, so even a virtual machine is out of the question. I
will try FD + wine in the afternoon, but I wanted to stick with linux
and its possibilities.

Also I am used to some concepts of eclipse since I use it from time to
time for Rails development.

> when i first started i was thinking along the lines of having one
> application which when compiled to php would give me backend and when
> compiled to JS/flash would give me front end. i'm not sure this is the
> best approach as they essentially are two different things.

Thats not what I want. I want to have seperated files for front and
backend, just to keep it clean. What I want is one project where front
and backend can reside side by side. Even if there are multiple flashes
I want to have them there (e.g.: one haxe-file shall compile to a
game-map and another one should compile to flash that handles my
fileuploads and another one is just for displaying the inventory of the
player). Many other things to get these things displayed shall remain in
HTML 5. And the data shall be send/received to/from the php/neko on the
server (dont know which one, have to take a look if mod_neko does its
job on my server)

> Laurence is right about the --next command in the hxml build files. it
> will do what you want. then you need to look at conditional compilation
> (http://haxe.org/ref/conditionals) to acheive what you wnat in one
> project. you'd most definitely be branching early for server and client
> in the same codebase :)

I'll take a look at CC in the afternoon, but what do you mean by
branching in this case?

> it's a bit daunting at first but the mailing list is a great resource
> and documentation is improving all the time (slowly ;)

Having a look at my situation the documentation is just worthless, since
many information about using haXe with linux and its editors/IDEs is
just outdated (as mentioned in my first mail).

And since I read in G+ that Nicolass is using linux by himself, I jusst
cant understand why the linuxpages are this orphanized...

Bye
Norbert

Re: How to get started?

Lars Madson
Well I never get lost on any outdated information there, I mean, maybe i did not follow links and just read the information. For an IDE, you could learn Emacs and enjoy the flow, you just got to start learning your keyboard and then it's very fast.

And yeah, one build.hxml file, using --next for each part of your project you are targeting. True that back and front are two separated thing as two js files, two hss, and separate path on the server side for your controllers or handlers. I tried to fusion all that but doesn't look like a working structure. Still I will try harder :)

What works very well is conditional compiling, having same object for server and client side is like  looking at planet earth from the moon for the first time.
Also you should have a look at the thx library on haxelib which do a lot of glue to make most haxe object multitarget.

Laurent

2011/11/26 Norbert Melzer <[hidden email]>
Am 26.11.2011 13:55, schrieb tom rhodes:
> just out of curiosity why eclipse? if you're on a windows system try
> flashdevelop 4. it has a LOT of good haxe support features.

As I mentioned before, I am not on windows... Also I dont have my hands
on a license key, so even a virtual machine is out of the question. I
will try FD + wine in the afternoon, but I wanted to stick with linux
and its possibilities.

Also I am used to some concepts of eclipse since I use it from time to
time for Rails development.

> when i first started i was thinking along the lines of having one
> application which when compiled to php would give me backend and when
> compiled to JS/flash would give me front end. i'm not sure this is the
> best approach as they essentially are two different things.

Thats not what I want. I want to have seperated files for front and
backend, just to keep it clean. What I want is one project where front
and backend can reside side by side. Even if there are multiple flashes
I want to have them there (e.g.: one haxe-file shall compile to a
game-map and another one should compile to flash that handles my
fileuploads and another one is just for displaying the inventory of the
player). Many other things to get these things displayed shall remain in
HTML 5. And the data shall be send/received to/from the php/neko on the
server (dont know which one, have to take a look if mod_neko does its
job on my server)

> Laurence is right about the --next command in the hxml build files. it
> will do what you want. then you need to look at conditional compilation
> (http://haxe.org/ref/conditionals) to acheive what you wnat in one
> project. you'd most definitely be branching early for server and client
> in the same codebase :)

I'll take a look at CC in the afternoon, but what do you mean by
branching in this case?

> it's a bit daunting at first but the mailing list is a great resource
> and documentation is improving all the time (slowly ;)

Having a look at my situation the documentation is just worthless, since
many information about using haXe with linux and its editors/IDEs is
just outdated (as mentioned in my first mail).

And since I read in G+ that Nicolass is using linux by himself, I jusst
cant understand why the linuxpages are this orphanized...

Bye
Norbert

Re: How to get started?

Philipp Klose-2
I'm on Linux and I use the GEdit Plugin. Not perfect, but helpfull.

On 26.11.2011 14:11, Norbert Melzer wrote:

> Am 26.11.2011 13:55, schrieb tom rhodes:
>> just out of curiosity why eclipse? if you're on a windows system try
>> flashdevelop 4. it has a LOT of good haxe support features.
> As I mentioned before, I am not on windows... Also I dont have my hands
> on a license key, so even a virtual machine is out of the question. I
> will try FD + wine in the afternoon, but I wanted to stick with linux
> and its possibilities.
>
> Also I am used to some concepts of eclipse since I use it from time to
> time for Rails development.
>
>> when i first started i was thinking along the lines of having one
>> application which when compiled to php would give me backend and when
>> compiled to JS/flash would give me front end. i'm not sure this is the
>> best approach as they essentially are two different things.
> Thats not what I want. I want to have seperated files for front and
> backend, just to keep it clean. What I want is one project where front
> and backend can reside side by side. Even if there are multiple flashes
> I want to have them there (e.g.: one haxe-file shall compile to a
> game-map and another one should compile to flash that handles my
> fileuploads and another one is just for displaying the inventory of the
> player). Many other things to get these things displayed shall remain in
> HTML 5. And the data shall be send/received to/from the php/neko on the
> server (dont know which one, have to take a look if mod_neko does its
> job on my server)
>
>> Laurence is right about the --next command in the hxml build files. it
>> will do what you want. then you need to look at conditional compilation
>> (http://haxe.org/ref/conditionals) to acheive what you wnat in one
>> project. you'd most definitely be branching early for server and client
>> in the same codebase :)
> I'll take a look at CC in the afternoon, but what do you mean by
> branching in this case?
>
>> it's a bit daunting at first but the mailing list is a great resource
>> and documentation is improving all the time (slowly ;)
> Having a look at my situation the documentation is just worthless, since
> many information about using haXe with linux and its editors/IDEs is
> just outdated (as mentioned in my first mail).
>
> And since I read in G+ that Nicolass is using linux by himself, I jusst
> cant understand why the linuxpages are this orphanized...
>
> Bye
> Norbert

Re: How to get started?

Lars Madson
Now it's few years old, I think haXe 1.0 but I learned a lot using the hxblog structure:
http://hxblog.motion-twin.com/

2011/11/26 Philipp Klose <[hidden email]>
[...]

blackdog

+1 Emacs , it's worth learning for the long term.

I have a haxe completion here https://github.com/cloudshift/hx-emacs, but setting it up is not for a newbie.

On 11/26/2011 10:34 AM, Lars Madson wrote:
> [...]

> Laurence is right about the --next command in the hxml build files. it
> will do what you want. then you need to look at conditional compilation
> (http://haxe.org/ref/conditionals) to acheive what you wnat in one
> project. you'd most definitely be branching early for server and client
> in the same codebase :)

I'll take a look at CC in the afternoon, but what do you mean by
branching in this case?

> it's a bit daunting at first but the mailing list is a great resource
> and documentation is improving all the time (slowly ;)

Having a look at my situation the documentation is just worthless, since
many information about using haXe with linux and its editors/IDEs is
just outdated (as mentioned in my first mail).

And since I read in G+ that Nicolass is using linux by himself, I jusst
cant understand why the linuxpages are this orphanized...

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~ Leonardo da Vinci

Re: How to get started?

Norbert Melzer
Am 26.11.2011 14:34, schrieb Lars Madson:
> Well I never get lost on any outdated information there, I mean, maybe i
> did not follow links and just read the information. For an IDE, you
> could learn Emacs and enjoy the flow, you just got to start learning
> your keyboard and then it's very fast.

Since I am more into vim than into emacs, I would be glad when I could
avoid to learn another keyboard-scheme and design philosophy.

But for vim it always was difficult to deal with more than a handfull of
files, at least for me. The most project-tree addons just dont work with
my configuration, and I cant figure out why...

So I wanted to try other editors:
1) gedit => cant install that plugin from the haxewiki, since a) the
installer is buggy, b) the plugin is for gedit 2 and my system ships
with gedit 3
2) geany => seems to support at least sysntax highlighting, but when I
click compile it wants to compile the active file with nekoVM as target,
and I cant find a way to alter this behaviour.
3) kate => After installing kate does not find the plugin, same for
other Kdevelop
4) komodo => komodo itself seems to work very well, but when I want to
download the plugin linked fron the haxe wiki, this file does not exist
anymore (HTTP 404)
5) UltraEdit => Costs money, dont have it.
6) FlashDevelop and wine => does not even start up

So there where left FDT and ecliHX. FDT crashes regularly without
notice, as mentioned already. EcliHX works well enough and I will stick
with it for the time being.

Probably I will change my mind later.

But as you see, much of the information regarding Linux-Editors is just
outdatet and I cant update it, because I miss the level of knowledge.

Re: How to get started?

Norbert Melzer
Am 26.11.2011 14:37, schrieb Philipp Klose:
> I'm on Linux and I use the GEdit Plugin. Not perfect, but helpfull.

As mentioned in my answer to Lars Madson, my system ships with Gedit 3
and the plugin is for Gedit 2. I just cant get it work.

Re: How to get started?

blackdog
On 11/26/2011 12:25 PM, Norbert Melzer wrote:
2) geany => seems to support at least sysntax highlighting, but when I
click compile it wants to compile the active file with nekoVM as target,
and I cant find a way to alter this behaviour.
I did the geany mode for haxe a few years ago, plus this neko plugin here, this is unmaintained for years, but it could serve as a starting point if anyone is interested.

https://github.com/blackdog66/hxDev

that has completion can script geany in haxe.

I gave up on the plugin at the time as the geany plugin api kept changing and i got bored, but geany could be a great haxe editor on linux if anyone takes up the baton.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~ Leonardo da Vinci

Re: How to get started?

clemos

I just created a page on the wiki to document the plugin I'm working on:
http://haxe.org/com/ide/sublime_text?lang=en
So far, writing haXe in Sublime Text 2 with this has been quite awesome.

Cheers,
Clément

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I want to learn a new language, that makes client and serverside coding
> as seemless as possible, so this made me return to haXe. I left it a
> while ago because of the very bad support in linux related things (Most
> of the links to any linux related IDE-stuff are out of date or dead).
> But now after getting around some problems with ecliHX (very slow with
> openJDK, but with sunJDK it works well enough to get started).
>
> I played around a little bit, and read parts of the wiki and the forum.
> But I cant find an explanation how to set up a project, that lets me
> write the clientside code and compile it to php or neko and all the
> flash and javascript parts for the clientside on the other hand. The
> only solution I found so far, is to do everythin in different projects
> and puzzle them together by hand, that is not what I consider "seemless" :(
>
> Probably someone on this list can get me a hint how to get started with
> this.
>
> Bye
> Norbert

SublimeBundle (was: [haXe] How to get started?)

Norbert Melzer
at 26.11.2011 17:00, wrote clemos:

> I just created a page on the wiki to document the plugin I'm working on:
> http://haxe.org/com/ide/sublime_text?lang=en
> So far, writing haXe in Sublime Text 2 with this has been quite awesome.

Just installed this one, and it seems to work very well, sublime itself
is a very cool compromise between an IDE and a simple text editor.

But the buildintegration is missing.

Nothing happens on CTRL-SHIFT-B, also when I go into build menu, there
is no haXe mentioned

Do I miss something?

Re: SublimeBundle (was: [haXe] How to get started?)

clemos
Hi

The hxml generation seems indeed broken.

Normally, Ctrl+shift+B should either create a vanilla build.hxml file
for you, or let you choose among the available build targets.
Build targets should be scanned and/or created either near the hx file
you're currently editing or in the folders opened in your project
Selected build targets are currently per-file and are not persistent
when you close Sublime.
Ctrl+Enter runs the currently selected build and outputs the result in
the status bar and the console.

In addition to that, F7 should trigger Sublime's build system, which
basically runs "haxe build.hxml" in your project's folder.

All this is still a bit experimental, so I didn't test all the cases.
In particular, it's currently not so clear, even to me, what the scope
of each of these features is:
Some are persistent, some are not, some only apply to the current view
(the current file), some to the current window, some to one of the
opened folders, etc.
It still needs lots of clarifications and cleaning, as I wrote these
features while discovering the Sublime API (and almost Python itself
:p)

So you may want to add a folder to your project, create a simple
build.hxml and put your hx files there (you can use -cp to put your
sources in a subfolder, though)
F7 will build all your targets and Ctrl+Enter will build only the
target you selected through Ctrl+Shift+B.

You can also get more infos about eventual errors by opening the Console view.

I'd be happy to hear from you if you have any thought.

Cheers,
Clément

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 5:16 PM, Norbert Melzer
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> at 26.11.2011 17:00, wrote clemos:
>
>> I just created a page on the wiki to document the plugin I'm working on:
>> http://haxe.org/com/ide/sublime_text?lang=en
>> So far, writing haXe in Sublime Text 2 with this has been quite awesome.
>
> Just installed this one, and it seems to work very well, sublime itself
> is a very cool compromise between an IDE and a simple text editor.
>
> But the buildintegration is missing.
>
> Nothing happens on CTRL-SHIFT-B, also when I go into build menu, there
> is no haXe mentioned
>
> Do I miss something?

Re: SublimeBundle

Norbert Melzer
Am 26.11.2011 18:03, schrieb clemos:

> Ctrl+Enter runs the currently selected build and outputs the result in
> the status bar and the console.

CTRL+ENTER (the one from mainkeyboard) just adds a newline at the end of
the current line, regardless where the cursor is positioned.

CTRL+NUMENTER just does nothing.

> In addition to that, F7 should trigger Sublime's build system, which
> basically runs "haxe build.hxml" in your project's folder.

Just a popup saying "No Build System", console says "error: No Build
System".

> All this is still a bit experimental, so I didn't test all the cases.
> In particular, it's currently not so clear, even to me, what the scope
> of each of these features is:
> Some are persistent, some are not, some only apply to the current view
> (the current file), some to the current window, some to one of the
> opened folders, etc.
> It still needs lots of clarifications and cleaning, as I wrote these
> features while discovering the Sublime API (and almost Python itself
> :p)

I never touched Python, I fear the syntactic whitespace... By the way, I
love HAML :)

> You can also get more infos about eventual errors by opening the Console view.

Console is open by default.

By the way, do you know a way to timestamp the console?

> I'd be happy to hear from you if you have any thought.

Please open the issuetracker @ github, this would make discussing about
bugs and problems easier :D

> Cheers,
> Clément

Bye
NobbZ

Re: SublimeBundle (was: [haXe] How to get started?)

Elsass Philippe
Hey Clément, nice work.

I've forked your fork to fix a few things and add some snippets:

BTW I couldn't build using F7 successfully (build.hxml not found) on Mac.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> at 26.11.2011 17:00, wrote clemos:
>
>> I just created a page on the wiki to document the plugin I'm working on:
>> http://haxe.org/com/ide/sublime_text?lang=en
>> So far, writing haXe in Sublime Text 2 with this has been quite awesome.
>
> Just installed this one, and it seems to work very well, sublime itself
> is a very cool compromise between an IDE and a simple text editor.
>
> But the buildintegration is missing.
>
> Nothing happens on CTRL-SHIFT-B, also when I go into build menu, there
> is no haXe mentioned
>
> Do I miss something?

Philippe

Re: SublimeBundle (was: [haXe] How to get started?)

clemos
Hi Philippe,

Thanks for the support :)
And thank you very much for the fixes :p
I'm totally opened to pull requests, if you could please send me one,
I'd merge your fixes and additions.
If you're interrested, I'd also add you as a collaborator, too.

BTW I activated the Issues tab on my repo:
https://github.com/clemos/haxe-sublime2-bundle/issues

Cheers,
Clément

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 6:36 PM, Philippe Elsass
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Clément, nice work.
> I've forked your fork to fix a few things and add some snippets:
> https://github.com/elsassph/haxe-sublime2-bundle
> BTW I couldn't build using F7 successfully (build.hxml not found) on Mac.
> On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 6:03 PM, clemos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> The hxml generation seems indeed broken.
>>
>> Normally, Ctrl+shift+B should either create a vanilla build.hxml file
>> for you, or let you choose among the available build targets.
>> Build targets should be scanned and/or created either near the hx file
>> you're currently editing or in the folders opened in your project
>> Selected build targets are currently per-file and are not persistent
>> when you close Sublime.
>> Ctrl+Enter runs the currently selected build and outputs the result in
>> the status bar and the console.
>>
>> In addition to that, F7 should trigger Sublime's build system, which
>> basically runs "haxe build.hxml" in your project's folder.
>>
>> All this is still a bit experimental, so I didn't test all the cases.
>> In particular, it's currently not so clear, even to me, what the scope
>> of each of these features is:
>> Some are persistent, some are not, some only apply to the current view
>> (the current file), some to the current window, some to one of the
>> opened folders, etc.
>> It still needs lots of clarifications and cleaning, as I wrote these
>> features while discovering the Sublime API (and almost Python itself
>> :p)
>>
>> So you may want to add a folder to your project, create a simple
>> build.hxml and put your hx files there (you can use -cp to put your
>> sources in a subfolder, though)
>> F7 will build all your targets and Ctrl+Enter will build only the
>> target you selected through Ctrl+Shift+B.
>>
>> You can also get more infos about eventual errors by opening the Console
>> view.
>>
>> I'd be happy to hear from you if you have any thought.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Clément
>>
>> On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 5:16 PM, Norbert Melzer
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > Just installed this one, and it seems to work very well, sublime itself
>> > is a very cool compromise between an IDE and a simple text editor.
>> >
>> > But the buildintegration is missing.
>> >
>> > Nothing happens on CTRL-SHIFT-B, also when I go into build menu, there
>> > is no haXe mentioned
>> >
>> > Do I miss something?
>> >

>> > --
>> > haXe - an open source web programming language
>> > http://haxe.org

> Philippe

Re: SublimeBundle

clemos
Hi Norbert,

As mentionned in my previous post, I opened the Issues tab on the
repo, so feel free to add anything to it, I'll definitely give it a
look.

I'm sorry, I have no idea how to timestamp the console...

Cheers,
Clément

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 6:24 PM, Norbert Melzer
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 26.11.2011 18:03, schrieb clemos:
>
>> Ctrl+Enter runs the currently selected build and outputs the result in
>> the status bar and the console.
>
> CTRL+ENTER (the one from mainkeyboard) just adds a newline at the end of
> the current line, regardless where the cursor is positioned.
>
> CTRL+NUMENTER just does nothing.
>
>> In addition to that, F7 should trigger Sublime's build system, which
>> basically runs "haxe build.hxml" in your project's folder.
>
> Just a popup saying "No Build System", console says "error: No Build
> System".
>
>> All this is still a bit experimental, so I didn't test all the cases.
>> In particular, it's currently not so clear, even to me, what the scope
>> of each of these features is:
>> Some are persistent, some are not, some only apply to the current view
>> (the current file), some to the current window, some to one of the
>> opened folders, etc.
>> It still needs lots of clarifications and cleaning, as I wrote these
>> features while discovering the Sublime API (and almost Python itself
>> :p)
>
> I never touched Python, I fear the syntactic whitespace... By the way, I
> love HAML :)
>
>> You can also get more infos about eventual errors by opening the Console view.
>
> Console is open by default.
>
> By the way, do you know a way to timestamp the console?
>
>> I'd be happy to hear from you if you have any thought.
>
> Please open the issuetracker @ github, this would make discussing about
> bugs and problems easier :D
>
>> Cheers,
>> Clément
>
> Bye
> NobbZ

Re: SublimeBundle (was: [haXe] How to get started?)

clemos
In the meantime, I have pulled your changes to my repo manually :)

Regards,
Clément

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 6:56 PM, clemos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Philippe,
>
> Thanks for the support :)
> And thank you very much for the fixes :p
> I'm totally opened to pull requests, if you could please send me one,
> I'd merge your fixes and additions.
> If you're interrested, I'd also add you as a collaborator, too.
>
> BTW I activated the Issues tab on my repo:
> https://github.com/clemos/haxe-sublime2-bundle/issues
>
> Cheers,
> Clément
>
> On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 6:36 PM, Philippe Elsass
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hey Clément, nice work.
>> I've forked your fork to fix a few things and add some snippets:
>> https://github.com/elsassph/haxe-sublime2-bundle
>> BTW I couldn't build using F7 successfully (build.hxml not found) on Mac.
>> On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 6:03 PM, clemos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> The hxml generation seems indeed broken.
>>>
>>> Normally, Ctrl+shift+B should either create a vanilla build.hxml file
>>> for you, or let you choose among the available build targets.
>>> Build targets should be scanned and/or created either near the hx file
>>> you're currently editing or in the folders opened in your project
>>> Selected build targets are currently per-file and are not persistent
>>> when you close Sublime.
>>> Ctrl+Enter runs the currently selected build and outputs the result in
>>> the status bar and the console.
>>>
>>> In addition to that, F7 should trigger Sublime's build system, which
>>> basically runs "haxe build.hxml" in your project's folder.
>>>
>>> All this is still a bit experimental, so I didn't test all the cases.
>>> In particular, it's currently not so clear, even to me, what the scope
>>> of each of these features is:
>>> Some are persistent, some are not, some only apply to the current view
>>> (the current file), some to the current window, some to one of the
>>> opened folders, etc.
>>> It still needs lots of clarifications and cleaning, as I wrote these
>>> features while discovering the Sublime API (and almost Python itself
>>> :p)
>>>
>>> So you may want to add a folder to your project, create a simple
>>> build.hxml and put your hx files there (you can use -cp to put your
>>> sources in a subfolder, though)
>>> F7 will build all your targets and Ctrl+Enter will build only the
>>> target you selected through Ctrl+Shift+B.
>>>
>>> You can also get more infos about eventual errors by opening the Console
>>> view.
>>>
>>> I'd be happy to hear from you if you have any thought.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Clément

>> Philippe

Re: How to get started?

Philipp Klose-2

On 26.11.2011 16:25, Norbert Melzer wrote:

> Am 26.11.2011 14:34, schrieb Lars Madson:
>> Well I never get lost on any outdated information there, I mean, maybe i
>> did not follow links and just read the information. For an IDE, you
>> could learn Emacs and enjoy the flow, you just got to start learning
>> your keyboard and then it's very fast.
> Since I am more into vim than into emacs, I would be glad when I could
> avoid to learn another keyboard-scheme and design philosophy.
>
> But for vim it always was difficult to deal with more than a handfull of
> files, at least for me. The most project-tree addons just dont work with
> my configuration, and I cant figure out why...
>
> So I wanted to try other editors:
> 1) gedit =>  cant install that plugin from the haxewiki, since a) the
> installer is buggy, b) the plugin is for gedit 2 and my system ships
> with gedit 3
downgrade?
> 2) geany =>  seems to support at least sysntax highlighting, but when I
> click compile it wants to compile the active file with nekoVM as target,
> and I cant find a way to alter this behaviour.
The geany plugin does not work. I am currently considering updating or
writing a new one, but the geany plugin API changes a lot.
> 3) kate =>  After installing kate does not find the plugin, same for
> other Kdevelop
> 4) komodo =>  komodo itself seems to work very well, but when I want to
> download the plugin linked fron the haxe wiki, this file does not exist
> anymore (HTTP 404)
> 5) UltraEdit =>  Costs money, dont have it.
> 6) FlashDevelop and wine =>  does not even start up
Flash Develop does not work with Wine. There are some people who get
things some kind of working, but it requires a few patches.
The easiest way would be to use a tight WinXP installation for FD and
keep compilation and file system on your Linux by using the bridge that
ships with the FD sources.