HippoHX 0.6 and the future

Juan Delgado
Hi there people,

A new HippoHX release is ready to download:

http://hippohx.com/download/

The new release contains additions to the File API, new SQLite
support, custom error messages when the player is not found and
finally custom icons for your apps (except for Win apps when running
HippoHX on Macs).

Now, about the future. The project is at a point where it doesn't make
much sense unless SWHX is developed as well. Since that is not
happening at the moment, I'm going to give it a go myself. One of my
main goals with HippoHX always was learning, so if now requires
learning C, so be it. Can't really promise anything, since I'm
completely new to C and Windows / Mac system APIs, so we'll see how it
goes.

The TODO list would look like this:

- Create valid Mac executables from Windows, probably creating dmg
bundles (currently there's the need to chmod +x some files, which you
can't do on Windows).
- Custom icons for Win apps when running on Mac.
- Somehow add WebKit support.
- Linux version?
- Fix silly bugs and annoyances.

It has been discussed in the list if maybe it would make more sense to
completely ditch SWHX and focus on wrapping AIR directly. I have no
personal attachments to either HippoHX or SWHX, so I'm open to
discussions. Either way I think the community really, really needs an
Open Source solution for Flash desktop apps.

If anybody is interested, it's time to speak out : )

Any comments or ideas are of course welcome.

Juan

--
Juan Delgado - Zárate
http://zarate.tv

Re: [haXe] HippoHX 0.6 and the future

Nicolas Cannasse
Juan Delgado a écrit :
> The TODO list would look like this:
>
> - Create valid Mac executables from Windows, probably creating dmg
> bundles (currently there's the need to chmod +x some files, which you
> can't do on Windows).

Last time I looked into it : creating DMG seems like a hell, but it
seems that simply renaming an ISO file to DMG will work. So it just
needed to be able to create an ISO file from haXe ;)

> It has been discussed in the list if maybe it would make more sense to
> completely ditch SWHX and focus on wrapping AIR directly. I have no
> personal attachments to either HippoHX or SWHX, so I'm open to
> discussions. Either way I think the community really, really needs an
> Open Source solution for Flash desktop apps.

I think that SWHX is much more flexible than AIR, since it allow
everyone to extend it with native functions. It's also very lightweight,
I look forward to you working on it ;)

Re: [haXe] HippoHX 0.6 and the future

Martijn Loots
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010, Juan Delgado wrote:

> Hi there people,
>
> A new HippoHX release is ready to download:
>
> http://hippohx.com/download/

[...]
> If anybody is interested, it's time to speak out : )
>
> Any comments or ideas are of course welcome.

My current project is based on SWHX and needs its support upcoming
years. It is still not released and I'm totally tied up to its
development, but my choice means I depend on SWHX. Even if I have
to support SWHX on my own later on...

So, if it comes to it, I'll definately help supporting/perfectioning
SWHX and maybe even HippoHX (haven't had the time to really check
it out yet). Just not now yet... :-/

I'll get in touch as soon as I can.

--
-Martijn    @..@    ( Martijn Loots       -  Hengelo  [NL] )
-          (`--')   ( martijn<@>cosix.com -  www.cosix.com )

Re: [haXe] HippoHX 0.6 and the future

I have just started a project called "waxe" for getting wxWidgets going
for neko/hxcpp.
http://code.google.com/p/waxe
It is only a proof-of-concept/early alpha stage, so it is not useable
as it stands.  However, it looks very promising, and I have some
long-term plans to use it in anger.
Adding the SWHX plugin-loading code into the wxWidgets framework should
not be *too* hard.  This would then give you a rich set of widgets
that you could use neko-side, and take care of the window management
stuff easily on all three platforms.
I also plan to integrate neash/nme, so you may actually be able
to write a whole project in neko, and not require the flash plugin.
This would be a nice solution because neash's weakness is in the
form building/text enter aspects, but these could be done with
native widgets instead.

I am also interested in the bundling aspects of HippoHX.
Are these suitable of general applications (eg, NME based game)
that do not use flash?

Hugh

> Hi there people,
>
> A new HippoHX release is ready to download:
>
> http://hippohx.com/download/
>
> The new release contains additions to the File API, new SQLite
> support, custom error messages when the player is not found and
> finally custom icons for your apps (except for Win apps when running
> HippoHX on Macs).
>
> Now, about the future. The project is at a point where it doesn't make
> much sense unless SWHX is developed as well. Since that is not
> happening at the moment, I'm going to give it a go myself. One of my
> main goals with HippoHX always was learning, so if now requires
> learning C, so be it. Can't really promise anything, since I'm
> completely new to C and Windows / Mac system APIs, so we'll see how it
> goes.
>
> The TODO list would look like this:
>
> - Create valid Mac executables from Windows, probably creating dmg
> bundles (currently there's the need to chmod +x some files, which you
> can't do on Windows).
> - Custom icons for Win apps when running on Mac.
> - Somehow add WebKit support.
> - Linux version?
> - Fix silly bugs and annoyances.
>
> It has been discussed in the list if maybe it would make more sense to
> completely ditch SWHX and focus on wrapping AIR directly. I have no
> personal attachments to either HippoHX or SWHX, so I'm open to
> discussions. Either way I think the community really, really needs an
> Open Source solution for Flash desktop apps.
>
> If anybody is interested, it's time to speak out : )
>
> Any comments or ideas are of course welcome.
>
> Juan

Re: [haXe] HippoHX 0.6 and the future

Juan Delgado
Hi again

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 1:45 PM, Hugh Sanderson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have just started a project called "waxe" for getting wxWidgets going for
> neko/hxcpp.
> http://code.google.com/p/waxe
> It is only a proof-of-concept/early alpha stage, so it is not useable
> as it stands.  However, it looks very promising, and I have some
> long-term plans to use it in anger.
> Adding the SWHX plugin-loading code into the wxWidgets framework should
> not be *too* hard.  This would then give you a rich set of widgets
> that you could use neko-side, and take care of the window management
> stuff easily on all three platforms.

Not sure what was the main problem with porting SWHX to Linux, but if
wxWidgets provides a cross-platform window system already, then I
guess it makes things simpler in the long run.

> I also plan to integrate neash/nme, so you may actually be able
> to write a whole project in neko, and not require the flash plugin.
> This would be a nice solution because neash's weakness is in the
> form building/text enter aspects, but these could be done with
> native widgets instead.

This is kind of a wet dream, to be honest. Anything that has to do
with the Flash player would always be covered with legal uncertainty.
Let alone the performance lost of running inside a VM.

So if you can support an AS3-like API and compile to native code using
Neash/NME and get rid of the player... well, that would be just
awesome.

> I am also interested in the bundling aspects of HippoHX.
> Are these suitable of general applications (eg, NME based game)
> that do not use flash?

Not sure what you mean here. At the moment all HippoHX does for
packaging is picking up all the bits and pieces (dlls mostly) and put
them together as a SWHX app expects. You can see what makes a SWHX app
on the Wiki (plus sqlite and haxevideo, need to update that!):

http://wiki.hippohx.com/Swhx_distribution

Having said that, what could be a nice spin off of HippoHX is a higher
level API both for Flash and haXe. For example, to me it's much
simpler to remember this:

File.writeFile(path, content)

rather than:

var f:FileOutput = neko.io.File.write(path,false);
f.writeString(content);
f.close();

Maybe that's an extreme sample, but there're certainly more of those.
Also some additions that are not part of the official API such as
File.copyDirectory or File.openFile (working cross-platform out of the
box).

I think it was Ian who commented time ago that such an API could be an
independent project in haXe lib that anyone could use and maintain.

HippoHX definitely needs a revision of its APIs (some name conflicts
with AS3 classes, to begin with), but I wouldn't mind using them as a
base for a new all purpose project.

As I said, I have no personal attachments to any project and would be
happy to work either way.

For the time being I'll still be messing around with SWHX, hopefully
getting it to compile en Leopard, but will defs keep an eye on waxe
and wxWidgets.

Interesting times ahead : )

Cheers!

Juan

> Hugh
>

>> Hi there people,
>>
>> A new HippoHX release is ready to download:
>>
>> http://hippohx.com/download/
>>
>> The new release contains additions to the File API, new SQLite
>> support, custom error messages when the player is not found and
>> finally custom icons for your apps (except for Win apps when running
>> HippoHX on Macs).
>>
>> Now, about the future. The project is at a point where it doesn't make
>> much sense unless SWHX is developed as well. Since that is not
>> happening at the moment, I'm going to give it a go myself. One of my
>> main goals with HippoHX always was learning, so if now requires
>> learning C, so be it. Can't really promise anything, since I'm
>> completely new to C and Windows / Mac system APIs, so we'll see how it
>> goes.
>>
>> The TODO list would look like this:
>>
>> - Create valid Mac executables from Windows, probably creating dmg
>> bundles (currently there's the need to chmod +x some files, which you
>> can't do on Windows).
>> - Custom icons for Win apps when running on Mac.
>> - Somehow add WebKit support.
>> - Linux version?
>> - Fix silly bugs and annoyances.
>>
>> It has been discussed in the list if maybe it would make more sense to
>> completely ditch SWHX and focus on wrapping AIR directly. I have no
>> personal attachments to either HippoHX or SWHX, so I'm open to
>> discussions. Either way I think the community really, really needs an
>> Open Source solution for Flash desktop apps.
>>
>> If anybody is interested, it's time to speak out : )
>>
>> Any comments or ideas are of course welcome.
>>
>> Juan

Juan Delgado - Zárate
http://zarate.tv
http://blog.zarate.tv

Re: [haXe] HippoHX 0.6 and the future

Lee Sylvester
For anyone who's interested (there might be), I have recently built 95%
of a plugin for MDM's new Inferno application that allows Neko apps to
work as the backend code for AIR apps. Inferno does have a price tag,
but by using it you use the standard licensing deals that MDM have
agreed with Adobe and you also get to bypass the nasty AIR installer
issues that people like to complain about.

The plugin still needs some simple memory allocation for the Neko module
to be set aside (which is easy). I just haven't had the time or
enthusiasm to finish it. If, however, someone is really interested in
the plugin, it would give me the necessary kick to finish it off (which
is probably only a couple of hours work, at that).

I know it's slightly off topic, but it does alleviate the SWHX issues
while still being able to use haXe and bypassing the AIR undesirables.

Juan Delgado wrote:

> [...]
>>> goes.
>>>
>>> The TODO list would look like this:
>>>
>>> - Create valid Mac executables from Windows, probably creating dmg
>>> bundles (currently there's the need to chmod +x some files, which you
>>> can't do on Windows).
>>> - Custom icons for Win apps when running on Mac.
>>> - Somehow add WebKit support.
>>> - Linux version?
>>> - Fix silly bugs and annoyances.
>>>
>>> It has been discussed in the list if maybe it would make more sense to
>>> completely ditch SWHX and focus on wrapping AIR directly. I have no
>>> personal attachments to either HippoHX or SWHX, so I'm open to
>>> discussions. Either way I think the community really, really needs an
>>> Open Source solution for Flash desktop apps.
>>>
>>> If anybody is interested, it's time to speak out : )
>>>
>>> Any comments or ideas are of course welcome.

Wow! I didn't know wxWidgets aside from its name. Just
read a bit about it now. I'm very interested on how "waxe"
progresses. Great !