Haxe Showcase

Re: Re: [haXe] Re: Haxe Showcase

Jason O'Neil-2
On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 7:10 AM, Rob Fell <[hidden email]> wrote:
Taking it to it's natural conclusion ;-)

Make the IDE cloud based

I can't tell if you're joking or not but have you seen this:

http://ajaxorg.github.com/ace/ and
https://github.com/ajaxorg/cloud9 and
http://cloud9ide.com/

An open source web-based IDE written node.js - would not be hard to extend the client to support haxe syntax highlighting.  Not really sure what it would take to get node.js talking to a haxe compiler on the server but that would certainly be interesting for live testing / autocompletion.  At least for flash / js / server side projects.  Obviously if you're wanting to do mobile development a local IDE is preferable :)  Even then you can use either hxcpp or Adobe Air to embed a webkit browser and tie it into the toolchains on your local machine.  Ooh the possibilities...

As for cloud compilation / deployment - here is a group that is doing it for simple html/js based apps: https://build.phonegap.com/

Their business model appears to be that they make an open source toolkit, but plan to make money providing the no-hassle cloud compilation service.  Of course haxe will be able to create much more visually interesting apps and games than html/js can at this point, so I'm sure if someone can make it you'd have some people willing to pay for it :)

Jason

Re: Re: [haXe] Re: Haxe Showcase

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
OK, I think this discussion is going all over the place now. I really think we need to agree on / do certain things:

* haxe.org needs a facelift, including a new front page, and include the new (quite awesome) logo
* The public use of the word haxe does not seem to be in the popular when writing it as "haXe".
* We need both showcase pieces AND testimonials (or case studies) both from large agencies (ie Massive Interactive) and indies.
* Look at the possibility of pushing NME as a selling point for haxe use, as well as create a sub-site specifically for NME promotion?
* Look into the possibility of getting some companies that rely on JS for their technologies (ie Appcelerator, Spaceport etc) to get involved.

So, can we discuss those points as opposed to "which IDE is better etc"?

On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 1:17 PM, Jason O'Neil <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Tony Polinelli
>You use flash.* since this is the Flash API, no matter what target the code runs on.

it IS the flash api - i think it is a little confusing that you HAVE to use flash.xx on all platforms however. I know that this works - i have made apps with the system, as a crossplatform api it might be nice to access the api directly too-  nme.xx, even if you are planning on targeting the flash api. If you are wanting to target just cpp, then you can with nme.xx, but not the other way, is that true?

saying you have a crossplatform api called 'ash' say. and you can use it like the flash api, and compile to target X. Hopefully this will include JS, flash, desktop, mobile.  Seems logical. having to access through the 'flash' api seems a little wierd.

On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 3:49 PM, Tarwin Stroh-Spijer <[hidden email]> wrote:
OK, I think this discussion is going all over the place now. I really think we need to agree on / do certain things:

* haxe.org needs a facelift, including a new front page, and include the new (quite awesome) logo
* The public use of the word haxe does not seem to be in the popular when writing it as "haXe".
* We need both showcase pieces AND testimonials (or case studies) both from large agencies (ie Massive Interactive) and indies.
* Look at the possibility of pushing NME as a selling point for haxe use, as well as create a sub-site specifically for NME promotion?
* Look into the possibility of getting some companies that rely on JS for their technologies (ie Appcelerator, Spaceport etc) to get involved.

So, can we discuss those points as opposed to "which IDE is better etc"?

phone: <a href="tel:%2B61%203%208060%205321" value="+61380605321" target="_blank">+61 3 8060 5321
_______________________

[...]

-- so access it via ash.display.MovieClip

On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 6:53 PM, Tony Polinelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

As for cloud compilation / deployment - here is a group that is doing it for simple html/js based apps: https://build.phonegap.com/

Their business model appears to be that they make an open source toolkit, but plan to make money providing the no-hassle cloud compilation service.  Of course haxe will be able to create much more visually interesting apps and games than html/js can at this point, so I'm sure if someone can make it you'd have some people willing to pay for it :)

Re: Haxe Showcase

jlm@justinfront.net
ash.display.MovieClip
+1

for haxe 3
but require some smart auto remap for old projects and a lot of work generally.

Conceptually removing the 'fl' to get a generic cross platform approach and short package name is an easy idea to pitch with new users.

Out of the box Ash as part of the haxe install would be ideal but maybe hard to deliver, and documentation of support on different platforms would be very important.

On 23 Jul 2011, at 09:55, Tony Polinelli wrote:

> [...]

As for cloud compilation / deployment - here is a group that is doing it for simple html/js based apps: https://build.phonegap.com/

Their business model appears to be that they make an open source toolkit, but plan to make money providing the no-hassle cloud compilation service.  Of course haxe will be able to create much more visually interesting apps and games than html/js can at this point, so I'm sure if someone can make it you'd have some people willing to pay for it :)

go2ghana
Am 23.07.2011 10:55, schrieb Tony Polinelli:
> -- so access it via ash.display.MovieClip

+1 for phoenix from the ashes

axel

> [...]
>             browser and tie it into the toolchains on your local
>             machine.  Ooh the possibilities...
>
>             As for cloud compilation / deployment - here is a group
>             that is doing it for simple html/js based apps:
>             https://build.phonegap.com/
>
>             Their business model appears to be that they make an open
>             source toolkit, but plan to make money providing the
>             no-hassle cloud compilation service.  Of course haxe will
>             be able to create much more visually interesting apps and
>             games than html/js can at this point, so I'm sure if
>             someone can make it you'd have some people willing to pay
>             for it :)
>
>             Jason
>
>             --
>             haXe - an open source web programming language
>             http://haxe.org
>

>         --
>         haXe - an open source web programming language

Re: Haxe Showcase

Elsass Philippe
Try "ash" in google and enjoy some rock bands and weird medical
associations. "nme" brings 10x less results and haxe's nme is already
in google's first page of results - think about it.

NME is a good name, it sounds good, it's punchy; and nme.* is a good
package name for a cross-platform/devices framework which can be
advertised as "based on Flash API" so it will feel familiar and yet
not confusing as it's a different set of features (even if targeting
Flash means to just remap to flash).

Re: Haxe Showcase

go2ghana
Am 23.07.2011 13:46, schrieb Elsass Philippe:
> Try "ash" in google and enjoy some rock bands and weird medical
> associations. "nme" brings 10x less results and haxe's nme is already
> in google's first page of results - think about it.
sounds reasonable
> NME is a good name, it sounds good, it's punchy; and nme.* is a good
> package name for a cross-platform/devices framework which can be
> advertised as "based on Flash API" so it will feel familiar and yet
> not confusing as it's a different set of features (even if targeting
> Flash means to just remap to flash).
maybe we really should really keep it.

Re: Haxe Showcase

Of course NME is a good name! It rocks even!!!

Lee

On 23 Jul 2011, at 12:46, Elsass Philippe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Try "ash" in google and enjoy some rock bands and weird medical
> associations. "nme" brings 10x less results and haxe's nme is already
> in google's first page of results - think about it.
>
> NME is a good name, it sounds good, it's punchy; and nme.* is a good
> package name for a cross-platform/devices framework which can be
> advertised as "based on Flash API" so it will feel familiar and yet
> not confusing as it's a different set of features (even if targeting
> Flash means to just remap to flash).

Re: Re: [haXe] Re: Haxe Showcase

I agree completely with Tarwin and Philippe on this.

Here are some of the slides I used when I spoke at a workshop on Thursday:

http://joshuagranick.com/share/slides/07-21-2011/Slide4.jpg
http://joshuagranick.com/share/slides/07-21-2011/Slide5.jpg

There was a lot of excitement.

My presentation was created in haXe, so at the end I took out my tablet
and began flipping through my slides, like a magazine. It was fun to "keep
that secret" until the end.

  - The haxe.org website should be simple, clear and encouraging
  - The haxe.org website should distinguish between clear paths of
development
  - The haXe installer should "just work"
  - The NME install-tool should "just work"
  - Showcases would be sweet

Tarwin, are you voting for writing "haxe" instead of "haXe"? I'm cool with
that, if that is what you mean.

If you visit haxe.org, it should instantly answer the question, "Why would
I want to use haXe?" This will vary depending on the user, but I think
that use-cases should be highlighted. For example:

  - You want to use haXe + NME to make cross-platform games from a single
codebase. You can publish your application online using Flash, mobile with
native C++, OpenGL ES performance for iOS, Android and webOS, or for the
desktop with Neko or C++ for Windows, Mac and Linux.

  - You want to write better Javascript, with compiler code-completion and
error-checking.

  - You want to write your backend with the same language (or code!) as
your frontend. Choose between Neko, PHP and Node.js (?)

We need clear messaging and we need to have an install process and
toolchain that work like magic -- straight out of the box, with as few
steps as possible.

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 22:49:02 -0700, Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> OK, I think this discussion is going all over the place now. I really
> think
> we need to agree on / do certain things:
>
> * haxe.org needs a facelift, including a new front page, and include the
> new
> (quite awesome) logo
> * The public use of the word haxe does not seem to be in the popular when
> writing it as "haXe".
> * We need both showcase pieces AND testimonials (or case studies) both
> from
> large agencies (ie Massive Interactive) and indies.
> * Look at the possibility of pushing NME as a selling point for haxe
> use, as
> well as create a sub-site specifically for NME promotion?
> * Look into the possibility of getting some companies that rely on JS for
> their technologies (ie Appcelerator, Spaceport etc) to get involved.
>
> So, can we discuss those points as opposed to "which IDE is better etc"?
>

> Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
> _______________________
>
> Touch My Pixel
> http://www.touchmypixel.com/
> phone: +61 3 8060 5321
> _______________________
>

> On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 1:17 PM, Jason O'Neil
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 7:10 AM, Rob Fell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Taking it to it's natural conclusion ;-)
>>>
>>> Make the IDE cloud based
>>>

>> I can't tell if you're joking or not but have you seen this:
>>
>> http://ajaxorg.github.com/ace/ and
>> https://github.com/ajaxorg/cloud9 and
>> http://cloud9ide.com/
>>
>> An open source web-based IDE written node.js - would not be hard to
>> extend
>> the client to support haxe syntax highlighting.  Not really sure what it
>> would take to get node.js talking to a haxe compiler on the server but
>> that
>> would certainly be interesting for live testing / autocompletion.  At
>> least
>> for flash / js / server side projects.  Obviously if you're wanting to
>> do
>> mobile development a local IDE is preferable :)  Even then you can use
>> either hxcpp or Adobe Air to embed a webkit browser and tie it into the
>> toolchains on your local machine.  Ooh the possibilities...
>>
>> As for cloud compilation / deployment - here is a group that is doing it
>> for simple html/js based apps: https://build.phonegap.com/
>>
>> Their business model appears to be that they make an open source
>> toolkit,
>> but plan to make money providing the no-hassle cloud compilation
>> service.
>> Of course haxe will be able to create much more visually interesting
>> apps
>> and games than html/js can at this point, so I'm sure if someone can
>> make it
>> you'd have some people willing to pay for it :)
>>
>> Jason

Re: Re: Re: [haXe] Re: Haxe Showcase

Rob Fell
Dang, did I forget to include crowd funded + analytic driven adaptive
game logic + monkey tennis ;-)
Perhaps truth is funnier than fiction?

Jason, thank you for sharing your links and knowledge on the topic - yes
surely haXe has a unique(?) opportunity in this realtime feedback remote
compilation arena.
Such an "IDE as service" cloud tool could provide a totally transparent
showcase for haXe (focussing on the destination, rather than the
journey) and generate revenue.

Best regards, Rob

On 11:59 AM, Jason O'Neil wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 7:10 AM, Rob Fell <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Taking it to it's natural conclusion ;-)
>
>     Make the IDE cloud based
>

> I can't tell if you're joking or not but have you seen this:
>
> http://ajaxorg.github.com/ace/ and
> https://github.com/ajaxorg/cloud9 and
> http://cloud9ide.com/
>
> An open source web-based IDE written node.js - would not be hard to
> extend the client to support haxe syntax highlighting.  Not really
> sure what it would take to get node.js talking to a haxe compiler on
> the server but that would certainly be interesting for live testing /
> autocompletion.  At least for flash / js / server side projects.
> Obviously if you're wanting to do mobile development a local IDE is
> preferable :)  Even then you can use either hxcpp or Adobe Air to
> embed a webkit browser and tie it into the toolchains on your local
> machine.  Ooh the possibilities...
>
> As for cloud compilation / deployment - here is a group that is doing
> it for simple html/js based apps: https://build.phonegap.com/
>
> Their business model appears to be that they make an open source
> toolkit, but plan to make money providing the no-hassle cloud
> compilation service.  Of course haxe will be able to create much more
> visually interesting apps and games than html/js can at this point, so
> I'm sure if someone can make it you'd have some people willing to pay
> for it :)
>
> Jason

Re: Re: Re: [haXe] Re: Haxe Showcase

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
Dang, did I forget to include crowd funded + analytic driven adaptive game logic + monkey tennis ;-)
Perhaps truth is funnier than fiction?
Jason, thank you for sharing your links and knowledge on the topic - yes surely haXe has a unique(?) opportunity in this realtime feedback remote compilation arena.
Such an "IDE as service" cloud tool could provide a totally transparent showcase for haXe (focussing on the destination, rather than the journey) and generate revenue.

This is truly an unique and exciting opportunity and niche, but dangerous as well. If I were developing such thing I would give emphasis to the platform and not to the web IDE itself. I don't think I would ever give up on Vim and or Emacs in favor of a web-based IDE - I'd rather use the platform from my local, delegating all the nasty stuff to it, but editing code from Vim, for example.

Anyway, this is cool, but let's keep ourselves with the feet on the ground. First the haxe Facelift. Who's volunteering after all? What's the status of the CSS challenge?

On 11:59 AM, Jason O'Neil wrote:

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 7:10 AM, Rob Fell <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

[...]

A web based IDE is only going to happen in a "company" takes that on. I really don't think it's worth it right now, apart from speed it's just not going to happen and dilutes our meagre resources.

+1 for keeping "nme"
+1 for having an "nme" package so you know what IS cross platform
+1 "haxe" (no uppercase, too geeky)

On 11:59 AM, Jason O'Neil wrote:

[...]

By the way Monkey supports Java (Android) and C# (XNA).  I don't know about the specifics, but it could serve as inspiration for future haXe releases - from what I see, it seems to work pretty well and there are already some games on production (iPhone/XNA). I don't really like Monkey's Basic-flavored language, I think haXe has the edge here, but I do find amazing that Mark Silby could implement so many compilation targets in so little time. haXe only needs C# and Java to catch up, and they're on the way, it seems! :)

Anyway, just though I'd share.

On 11:59 AM, Jason O'Neil wrote:

[...]

If we write "haxe" in lowercase, do you think initial capitalization
should be allowed, like "Haxe", or should it stay lowercase, always?

Do these sound like the "next steps," assuming they are agreeable?

  - Website: New design
  - Website: "Sell" haxe, highlight development paths, lead straight to
download and community to learn more
  - Website: Incorporate art and examples from previous projects (maybe?)
  - Installers: Improve platform compatibility
  - Installers: Include some haxelib projects (like nme) as checkboxes
before installing, maybe?
  - NME: Ensure it works "out-of-the-box" for all hosts and targets

On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 23:05:12 -0700, Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> A web based IDE is only going to happen in a "company" takes that on. I
> really don't think it's worth it right now, apart from speed it's just
> not
> going to happen and dilutes our meagre resources.
>
> +1 for keeping "nme"
> +1 for having an "nme" package so you know what IS cross platform
> +1 "haxe" (no uppercase, too geeky)
>
> Regards,
>

> Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
> _______________________
>
> Touch My Pixel
> http://www.touchmypixel.com/
> phone: +61 3 8060 5321
> _______________________
>

> On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 2:07 PM, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>  Dang, did I forget to include crowd funded + analytic driven adaptive
>>> game logic + monkey tennis ;-)
>>> Perhaps truth is funnier than fiction?
>>> Jason, thank you for sharing your links and knowledge on the topic -
>>> yes
>>> surely haXe has a unique(?) opportunity in this realtime feedback
>>> remote
>>> compilation arena.
>>> Such an "IDE as service" cloud tool could provide a totally transparent
>>> showcase for haXe (focussing on the destination, rather than the
>>> journey)
>>> and generate revenue.
>>

>> This is truly an unique and exciting opportunity and niche, but
>> dangerous
>> as well. If I were developing such thing I would give emphasis to the
>> platform and not to the web IDE itself. I don't think I would ever give
>> up
>> on Vim and or Emacs in favor of a web-based IDE - I'd rather use the
>> platform from my local, delegating all the nasty stuff to it, but
>> editing
>> code from Vim, for example.
>>
>> Anyway, this is cool, but let's keep ourselves with the feet on the
>> ground.
>> First the haxe Facelift. Who's volunteering after all? What's the
>> status of
>> the CSS challenge?
>>

>> On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 8:04 PM, Rob Fell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Dang, did I forget to include crowd funded + analytic driven adaptive
>>> game
>>> logic + monkey tennis ;-)
>>> Perhaps truth is funnier than fiction?
>>>
>>> Jason, thank you for sharing your links and knowledge on the topic -
>>> yes
>>> surely haXe has a unique(?) opportunity in this realtime feedback
>>> remote
>>> compilation arena.
>>> Such an "IDE as service" cloud tool could provide a totally transparent
>>> showcase for haXe (focussing on the destination, rather than the
>>> journey)
>>> and generate revenue.
>>>
>>> Best regards, Rob
>>>

>>> On 11:59 AM, Jason O'Neil wrote:
>>>
>>>  On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 7:10 AM, Rob Fell <[hidden email] <mailto:

Re: Haxe Showcase

Lee Sylvester
Simplification should be added. It wouldn't take too much to write some automation scripts for the likes of NME.

Lee

On 24 Jul 2011, at 18:16, "Joshua Granick" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If we write "haxe" in lowercase, do you think initial capitalization should be allowed, like "Haxe", or should it stay lowercase, always?
>

> Do these sound like the "next steps," assuming they are agreeable?
>

> - Website: New design
> - Website: "Sell" haxe, highlight development paths, lead straight to download and community to learn more
> - Website: Incorporate art and examples from previous projects (maybe?)
> - Installers: Improve platform compatibility
> - Installers: Include some haxelib projects (like nme) as checkboxes before installing, maybe?
> - NME: Ensure it works "out-of-the-box" for all hosts and targets
>

> On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 23:05:12 -0700, Tarwin Stroh-Spijer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> A web based IDE is only going to happen in a "company" takes that on.
>> really don't think it's worth it right now, apart from speed it's just not
>> going to happen and dilutes our meagre resources.
>>
>> +1 for keeping "nme"
>> +1 for having an "nme" package so you know what IS cross platform
>> +1 "haxe" (no uppercase, too geeky)
>>
>> Regards,
>>

>> Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
>> _______________________
>>
>> Touch My Pixel
>> http://www.touchmypixel.com/
>> phone: +61 3 8060 5321
>> _______________________
>>

>> On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 2:07 PM, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Dang, did I forget to include crowd funded + analytic driven adaptive
>>>

>>> This is truly an unique and exciting opportunity and niche, but dangerous
>>> as well. If I were developing such thing I would give emphasis to the
>>> platform and not to the web IDE itself. I don't think I would ever give up
>>> on Vim and or Emacs in favor of a web-based IDE - I'd rather use the
>>> platform from my local, delegating all the nasty stuff to it, but editing
>>> code from Vim, for example.
>>>
>>> Anyway, this is cool, but let's keep ourselves with the feet on the ground.
>>> First the haxe Facelift. Who's volunteering after all? What's the status of
>>> the CSS challenge?

> Using Opera's revolutionary email client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

Re: Haxe Showcase

Elsass Philippe
If it works out-of-the-box, I'm all for a little "get-nme" website:
people (at first) may not care too much about haxe but people may be
looking into something like NME.

It can be fairly simple and quickly link to haxe website but I think
it may be worth standing alone.

Also I reiterate my suggestion to have a blatantly Flixel-inspired
framework requiring only a subset of haxe lang to be usable - a
get-nme website could focus on describing this subset and let people
play with the samples before suggesting to get into haxe "for real".
I'd very much get into that but FD features are going to consume my
free time for a while.

About a nme logo: I suggest to just reuse haxe's X in another color
(like green) and sign NME.

Re: Haxe Showcase

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
All sounds great.

I'd actually suggest we create a logo along the same style as the haxe one for NME but with an "n", "m" or "e" ... ?

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 4:33 AM, Elsass Philippe <[hidden email]> wrote:
If it works out-of-the-box, I'm all for a little "get-nme" website:
people (at first) may not care too much about haxe but people may be
looking into something like NME.

It can be fairly simple and quickly link to haxe website but I think
it may be worth standing alone.

Also I reiterate my suggestion to have a blatantly Flixel-inspired
framework requiring only a subset of haxe lang to be usable - a
get-nme website could focus on describing this subset and let people
play with the samples before suggesting to get into haxe "for real".
I'd very much get into that but FD features are going to consume my
free time for a while.

About a nme logo: I suggest to just reuse haxe's X in another color
(like green) and sign NME.

NME icons

I have received a few icon submissions, and this is the current state of
affairs:

http://code.google.com/p/nekonme/wiki/nmeicons

Hugh