Haxe Showcase

Re: Haxe Showcase

Tony Polinelli

Agreed that public image is very important. The name isnt the most elegant atm. Calling (possibly writing) it 'hex' does sound better. Big change granted, but it doesnt create many rename issues - .hx still valid.

for haxe, i'd vote against the haXe spelling - seems geeky.  so either HAXE or haxe.

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 10:55 AM, Tarwin Stroh-Spijer <[hidden email]> wrote:
By the way - happy to make the HTML templates if we get a good design done.

phone: <a href="tel:%2B61%203%208060%205321" value="+61380605321" target="_blank">+61 3 8060 5321
_______________________

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 10:54 AM, Tarwin Stroh-Spijer <[hidden email]> wrote:
@Marcelo: 1) Egg Truck already compiles to Flash. 2) Tried accelerometer but it wasn't as fun / confusing 3) CPP (with NME)

There already is a new logo. We just need a new site!

phone: <a href="tel:%2B61%203%208060%205321" value="+61380605321" target="_blank">+61 3 8060 5321
_______________________

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 10:49 AM, David Peek <[hidden email]> wrote:
I like the name too, although occasionally wonder if "hex" might avoid all the pronunciation questions that generally arise.

More importantly we need a style guide: is it HaXe, haXe, haxe, HAXE, HAxE or ha><e :P

What ever happened to the website redesign competition? There was a lot of activity there for a while...

On 22/07/2011, at 10:29 AM, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa wrote:

Changing the name is not really necessary, I think a facelift is more important.

Do we have an IRC channel?

Cheers,

- Marcelo.

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 6:35 PM, Jan Flanders <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 12:31 AM, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <[hidden email]> wrote:

Instead, let's focus on the things that matter:
 * The haXe compiler and language, the way to version 3

 * haXe facelift - new name (?)
I like the name. It is also closely linked to many tools, code libraries, websites etc that have 'hx' or 'haxe' in their name.

new overall graphical concept. What do we want to communicate?

Cheers,
Jan

Re: Haxe Showcase

Franco Ponticelli
The haXe spelling is actually the official ... or at least it was at the time of the book writing 3 years ago.
I like the all-lower-case version more but I am used to type it haXe.
The upper-case format seems too aggressive to me.

Franco

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 7:15 PM, Tony Polinelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Point taken, but it's too much of an acronym for new users and every new user to haXe has no clue what it's all about, NME is perhaps the Rails of haXe so I think it would make sense to give it a microsite, in advertising it's common to misspell a word so how about...

eneme.org ?

with maybe a cross hair logo or something?  Trying to cover everything on the haXe site is tricky... a site dedicated to NME with a link off to the haXe site would probably work well.

Cheers

;j

On 21 Jul 2011, at 19:53, Lee Sylvester wrote:

I think New Media Engine is a bit nasty… Might as well call it a multimedia engine :-D  What about going the route of PHP’s recursive name and calling it “NME Media Engine”???  At the time when I named it, I thought NME (enemy) was pretty cool, as it’s quite game related.  I still think it sounds cool :-)  Might be good to see if we can come up with a play on words… Not sure what, tho.

Lee

Re: Haxe Showcase

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
I agree that a microsite is a good idea, maybe a related logo. But a name change really would just confuse things at the moment.

Saying "enemy" for NME is easy. It works. Explaining it is a different issue completely.

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 12:48 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Lee

[...]

phone: <a href="tel:%2B61%203%208060%205321" style="color:blue;text-decoration:underline" target="_blank">+61 3 8060 5321
_______________________

[...]

Băluță Cristian
http://ralcr.com
http://imagin.ro

Re: Haxe Showcase

Alex Liebert
Then we can show Hortence the haXe Hippo snuggling with Duke the Java Thingy and that airplane thing from Adobe Air.

oh my...sorry im overtired :D

Le 22/07/2011 02:29, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa a écrit :
> Changing the name is not really necessary,

Indeed :)

Whatever people think about haXe (name + spelling), I don't think that
will make a huge difference in the end. I don't think that haXe
"as-a-name" is worse than iPod for instance (some might disagree but
that's just an example, I don't intend to start a thread branch here).

In the end what is important is not the name itself but the message
you're sending.

Which leads to :

> I think a facelift is more important.

+1

Several efforts are already being done as we speak.

The community (myself included) being made of developers that have much
more fun writing code than designing websites or doing some marketing
has proven not being responsive when it comes down to getting a new
website done.

So right now I'm talking with some companies which are supporting haXe
so we can get something done asap. The idea (as we discussed in haxe
meeting) would be to have a front website that would showcase the
technology and market it from a non-developer-yet-technical perspective,
and still have the current wiki "for developers" accessible from it.

I would really be happy if some people from the community can help, but
IMHO it's still quite hard to get people involved in not-coding works ;)

Re: Haxe Showcase

Elsass Philippe
Marcelo I certainly respect people loving vim & emacs but I think we
agree the vast Flash/indie game devs community is the target for NME.
And in my experience (web agency & teaching Flash) I can tell you most
people are really afraid by the command line, want cute & easy to use
tools, and think AS3 is too complicated.

I'm all for a NME website with:
- sexy "NME is a cross-devices game development framework" presentation,
- tooling: command line example, editors, IDEs,
- presentation of a subset of haxe lang* as tutorials to make simple NME games.

* I mean it: NME should be usable with only a subset of haxe language.
Think Flixel: it can be used to make a complete game only knowing a
subset of AS3.

I believe NME can be successful if it's made as simple as Flixel to
code. If it's only marginally more complex it will not appeal to the
vast majority of Flash devs and they will just use AIR/Flixel instead.

About haxe 3.0 & stuff:
IMHO the haxe community has spent/wasted most of the last 5 years
chatting about more awesome (for a hacker) language features instead
of making haxe a language "normal people" will actually want to use.
It's time to put some effort behind a popular project.

Oh and I'm all for "haxe" all lowercase ;)

Re: Haxe Showcase

John Plsek
"normal people" USE programs, they don't write them

keep haXe targeted for us abnormals ;)

On 22 July 2011 18:31, Elsass Philippe <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I can certainly help.  I'm not a designer per se, but I have seven years of
college and Uni illustration qualifications that say I can draw :-)  Not
sure how that might help, but most graphical websites need illustrating.

Lee

Le 22/07/2011 02:29, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa a écrit :
> Changing the name is not really necessary,

Indeed :)

Whatever people think about haXe (name + spelling), I don't think that will
make a huge difference in the end. I don't think that haXe "as-a-name" is
worse than iPod for instance (some might disagree but that's just an
example, I don't intend to start a thread branch here).

In the end what is important is not the name itself but the message you're
sending.

Which leads to :

> I think a facelift is more important.

+1

Several efforts are already being done as we speak.

The community (myself included) being made of developers that have much more
fun writing code than designing websites or doing some marketing has proven
not being responsive when it comes down to getting a new website done.

So right now I'm talking with some companies which are supporting haXe so we
can get something done asap. The idea (as we discussed in haxe
meeting) would be to have a front website that would showcase the technology
and market it from a non-developer-yet-technical perspective, and still have
the current wiki "for developers" accessible from it.

I would really be happy if some people from the community can help, but IMHO
it's still quite hard to get people involved in not-coding works ;)

haXe - an open source web programming language http://haxe.org

Re: Haxe Showcase

Trevor Burton
yeah, i love the command line, too... but it took a while to get there.

I think there are 2 issues here:

1 - Getting new people into Haxe - from whatever background and whatever skill level.

2 - Getting companies to 'invest' in Haxe - by which i mean investing resources (development/design time as well as money) into projects built in Haxe.

As the multi-platform paradigm becomes more and more relevant so does Haxe.

Issue No. 1 is addressed already - Haxe is free, open source and the barrier to entry is pretty low for anyone with a bit of programming experience and the desire to learn.

What would help, imho, is updates to the current documentation and a whole heap of examples - if you look at projects like openCV and some of the apache projects (Camel, for example) you get a ton of examples showing how to do all sorts of stuff that run right 'out of the box'

Issue No. 2 is addressed by exactly what's been discussed - marketing.

I don't think any of the devs on this list enjoy talking about marketing but it's the way of the world - the people who tend to make the decisions at a high enough level in large enough organisations either aren't technical enough to immediately understand the benefits of a piece of technology like Haxe - and, often, they think they are when they aren't. Which makes it even tougher to sell to them.

Something bold and simple, which looks up-to-date and demonstrates in words of few syllables just what the benefits are (with quick 2 minute videos showing examples) would go a long way to addressing this issue, i think. Along with a showcase of what's on the various app stores/shops/worlds etc that prove this is 'for real'

Another issue i see here is the distinction between Haxe and NME. This is something that could cause confusion in the minds of the less technically aware that people on this list are trying to sell Haxe to. Either there should be a clear distinction between Haxe the platform and NME the... well, the framework i suppose you could call it - as someone in this thread alluded to RoR already - it's kind of Haxe-on-NME but that sounds too much like Hacks Anenome ;)

I've been a long-time 'dabbler' in Haxe but it's time i put some effort in here, cause i love the project and i'd love to learn more.

So, while i'd love to work on the revamped site i think i might be more effective working on examples to go along with the site and the demonstration videos i've suggested - it's something i'd like to do anyway - so if it goes on the site it goes on the site, otherwise i'll just have to resurrect my blog i suppose :)

anyway, just my tuppence

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 9:31 AM, Elsass Philippe <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

---------------------------
Trevor Burton

Re: Haxe Showcase

Elsass Philippe
John wrote:
> keep haXe targeted for us abnormals ;)

This isn't something that can be taken out of haxe now :D

Re: Haxe Showcase

Michiel Crefcoeur
I have another view on the NME discussion.

First, some history:
As haXe was originally mainly intended as an alternative for
ActionScript, the Flash library is part of the haXe standard library.
Neash started out as a library to offer the Flash classes for C++ and
Neko targets.
Neash is short for Neko-Flash I suppose.
Jeash is the same story but for the JavaScript target.
NME used to be a seperate, general library but today, Neash has been
merged into NME.
As a result, NME is now synonymous for "Flash for Neko and C++", which
is what NME was primarrily made for but isn't really a good
definition.

At present day, haXe is a lot more then just a mere ActionScript
alternative. Therefore, the flash library should really a library, as
in: not part of the standard library anymore.
This library should not only include the extern classes for the Flash
target but also the NME/Neash and Jeash implementations. No more need
for remapping, just switch the compiler target and writing
"flash.display.MovieClip" will compile because the library can
determine the right implementation based on conditional compilation.
It will be much easier to use for newcomers to haXe.

So then there's a library, say "Flash-for-haXe" ("FlaXe"?) which
replaces the std lib extern Flash classes, Neash and Jeash. This
should be a "one library for all (future?) targets" for the Flash API.

NME could be part of this library but maybe it makes more sense if it
would again be seperated since it's supposed to be a generic layer for
doing Multimedia stuff for Neko and C++ targets.

What do you guys think of this view?

Cheers,
Michiel

2011/7/22 Elsass Philippe <[hidden email]>:

> Marcelo I certainly respect people loving vim & emacs but I think we
> agree the vast Flash/indie game devs community is the target for NME.
> And in my experience (web agency & teaching Flash) I can tell you most
> people are really afraid by the command line, want cute & easy to use
> tools, and think AS3 is too complicated.
>
> I'm all for a NME website with:
> - sexy "NME is a cross-devices game development framework" presentation,
> - tooling: command line example, editors, IDEs,
> - presentation of a subset of haxe lang* as tutorials to make simple NME games.
>
> * I mean it: NME should be usable with only a subset of haxe language.
> Think Flixel: it can be used to make a complete game only knowing a
> subset of AS3.
>
> I believe NME can be successful if it's made as simple as Flixel to
> code. If it's only marginally more complex it will not appeal to the
> vast majority of Flash devs and they will just use AIR/Flixel instead.
>
> About haxe 3.0 & stuff:
> IMHO the haxe community has spent/wasted most of the last 5 years
> chatting about more awesome (for a hacker) language features instead
> of making haxe a language "normal people" will actually want to use.
> It's time to put some effort behind a popular project.
>
> Oh and I'm all for "haxe" all lowercase ;)

Re: Haxe Showcase

jlm@justinfront.net
Michiel

I think there are some transparencies in the way haXe works with
flash, so it's actually useful at runtime that the package path is the
same as the as3 one, I guess mainly some of the issues will only be a
problem if your abusing like resolving string paths at runtime etc...,
but still I think it may have some knock ons if
flash.display.MovieClip was replaced with flaxe.display.MovieClip and
can't say flaxe appeals.

In terms of using flash.display.MovieClip for lots of targets I think
maybe there could be issue with misusing the flash term but it might
make it a lot simpler.  So really my objections to this are only
practical and legal, the idea itself is what I have wanted for a long
time. So assuming we accept the odd runtime issue on the flash target...

Again I must stress my problem with NME whichever way it is explained
or said it boils down to... ie...  nme.display.MovieClip.... - not
really a user friendly name, sorry I don't think this is good.  Maybe
just cut the front off Neash and Jeash you get something much more
memorable:   Ash

ash.display.MovieClip ?

I think a tree with many branches would be a good concept for NME,
jeash, flash. For instance we instantly have some great imagary...

http://frontpage.woodland-trust.org.uk/ancient-tree-forum/atfnews/images/aland2.jpg

Quite happy to draw you an old ash tree stylized if it helps that's
something I can do very well and something Lee might also enjoy doing.

But looks like everyone wants to stick with NME which  to me is a non
starter, atleast when trying to sell the concept to people not
familiar with the word and I know it just adds confusion for new
users, wereas a tree concept would work well, instant association with
a physical thing and the idea of branches and plenty of imagary, I
would worry if NME was well known like haXe is, but really with the
whole neash thing I don't think it is.

The other issue with a merge proposal is that really jeash for the
flash target is limited and maybe not the ideal approach for
javascript target, flash api just carries a bit too much overhead for
javascript, but it seems to be doing well so maybe we should have more
faith in the approach, and if something better comes along in the
future in terms of approaches, then worry about that tomorrow rather
than now when we need to simplify and make consistent the tools we are
using.

Cheers

;j

On 22 Jul 2011, at 13:52, Michiel Crefcoeur wrote:

> [...]
>> - presentation of a subset of haxe lang* as tutorials to make
>> simple NME games.
>>
>> * I mean it: NME should be usable with only a subset of haxe
>> language.
>> Think Flixel: it can be used to make a complete game only knowing a
>> subset of AS3.
>>
>> I believe NME can be successful if it's made as simple as Flixel to
>> code. If it's only marginally more complex it will not appeal to the
>> vast majority of Flash devs and they will just use AIR/Flixel
>> instead.
>>
>> About haxe 3.0 & stuff:
>> IMHO the haxe community has spent/wasted most of the last 5 years
>> chatting about more awesome (for a hacker) language features instead
>> of making haxe a language "normal people" will actually want to use.
>> It's time to put some effort behind a popular project.
>>
>> Oh and I'm all for "haxe" all lowercase ;)

nooo that's not what I meant! :-)
What I meant was:

You always use:
flash.display.MovieClip, no matter which target you compile to.

FlaXe was just a suggestion for the library name in which the flash package/namespace resides.
But the name is probably not so good since it's pronounced the same as Flex.

2011/7/22 [hidden email] <[hidden email]>:
> [...]
>>> - presentation of a subset of haxe lang* as tutorials to make simple NME
>>> games.
>>>
>>> * I mean it: NME should be usable with only a subset of haxe language.
>>> Think Flixel: it can be used to make a complete game only knowing a
>>> subset of AS3.
>>>
>>> I believe NME can be successful if it's made as simple as Flixel to
>>> code. If it's only marginally more complex it will not appeal to the
>>> vast majority of Flash devs and they will just use AIR/Flixel instead.
>>>
>>> About haxe 3.0 & stuff:
>>> IMHO the haxe community has spent/wasted most of the last 5 years
>>> chatting about more awesome (for a hacker) language features instead
>>> of making haxe a language "normal people" will actually want to use.
>>> It's time to put some effort behind a popular project.
>>>
>>> Oh and I'm all for "haxe" all lowercase ;)

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
Why not abstract it into something that can be easily applied to all targets, something like:

haxe.display.Sprite

I don't have enough experience in haXe yet, but I'd say that if this is abstracted with an extern. library implementing Sprite for each of the targets, it would help make the cross-platform factor more appealing and also avoid the compile-time conditionals. I think that's the approach Monkey uses.

-M

* FIY: Monkey: http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 11:39 AM, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>> - presentation of a subset of haxe lang* as tutorials to make simple NME
>>> games.
>>>
>>> * I mean it: NME should be usable with only a subset of haxe language.
>>> Think Flixel: it can be used to make a complete game only knowing a
>>> subset of AS3.
>>>
>>> I believe NME can be successful if it's made as simple as Flixel to
>>> code. If it's only marginally more complex it will not appeal to the
>>> vast majority of Flash devs and they will just use AIR/Flixel instead.
>>>
>>> About haxe 3.0 & stuff:
>>> IMHO the haxe community has spent/wasted most of the last 5 years
>>> chatting about more awesome (for a hacker) language features instead
>>> of making haxe a language "normal people" will actually want to use.
>>> It's time to put some effort behind a popular project.
>>>
>>> Oh and I'm all for "haxe" all lowercase ;)

Jlm- LOVE the name ash, it is also nice because adobe shorten flash to
fl- like the fl package- so w'e would be taking the 'other' bit, which
completes it. Also it is the 'end' of flash- hah

I may be confused but- when you target flash, can you access and use
the nme.x packages? I think it fails- am I missing a remap? It would
be nice for this to work, because then you could target ALL platforms
from nme. (or ash ;p) if you wish,  or even blend flash with ash if
you have existing libs

On Saturday, July 23, 2011, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> like haXe is, but really with the whole neash thing I don't think it is.
>>
>> The other issue with a merge proposal is that really jeash for the flash
>> target is limited and maybe not the ideal approach for javascript target,
>> flash api just carries a bit too much overhead for javascript, but it seems
>> to be doing well so maybe we should have more faith in the approach, and if
>> something better comes along in the future in terms of approaches, then
>> worry about that tomorrow rather than now when we need to simplify and make
>> consistent the tools we are using.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> ;j
>>

>> On 22 Jul 2011, at 13:52, Michiel Crefcoeur wrote:
>>
>>> I have another view on the NME discussion.
>>>
>>> First, some history:
>>> As haXe was originally mainly intended as an alternative for

Re: Haxe Showcase

Michiel Crefcoeur
You will not have to use compiler conditionals, the "Flash-for-haXe" lib takes care of that.
You use flash.* since this is the Flash API, no matter what target the code runs on.