Haxe Showcase

Re: RE: [haXe] Haxe Showcase

Rob Fell
+1
And I'd prefer to make an NME than take an NMA ;-)

On 11:59 AM, Lee Sylvester wrote:

> I think New Media Engine is a bit nasty… Might as well call it a
> multimedia engine :-D What about going the route of PHP’s recursive
> name and calling it “NME Media Engine”??? At the time when I named it,
> I thought NME (enemy) was pretty cool, as it’s quite game related. I
> still think it sounds cool :-) Might be good to see if we can come up
> with a play on words… Not sure what, tho.
>
> Lee

   phone: <a href="tel:%2B61%203%208060%205321" value="+61380605321" target="_blank">+61 3 8060 5321 <tel:%2B61%203%208060%205321>

   _______________________

[...]

Re: Haxe Showcase

Chris Ochs
I'll throw in my two cents here for what it's worth.

There is this perception among a lot of flash dev's that Haxe is a one
person project.  Plus, I've found most flash dev's have a different
attitude about open source then what I'm used to.  I spent a good
chunk of my recent career working with large scale ruby on rails sites
and most of my background is server side stuff.  In that world we
generally tend to judge projects based on the pure technical merits.
For several years by far the most popular web server for rails was a
little project called Mongrel.  It was written by one guy, and used to
run thousands of sites.  Gradually it gained a few other poeple who
also contributed.  Eventually the creator moved on to other things,
and the community took over.  I don't think the "it's just one person'
debate ever even came up.  It was kickass, well written, stable code
that did the job.

That is actually the norm with open source projects, but the flash
community definitely doesn't feel comfortable with this.  My own
opinion is that this is partly due to most flash dev's not being
polyglot developers for the most part.  At least in the game industry
that's been my observation. Which leads to not getting as much
exposure to open source in general.

One thing I do think hurts Haxe to some extent is it's name.   Combine
that with the above, and you can imagine what a manager type thinks
when he hears of this language called Hacks (that's how it's going to
be visualized) written by this one guy.  I've encountered this several
times already.   People are naturally going to have negative feelings
towards something that sounds like hacking.  Maybe one solution is to
have a website that doesn't emphasize the name of the language so much
as the platform as a whole and what it can do.  Maybe even come up
with a new name for Haxe the platform?  Then use that name as the main
theme of the website.  At some point it makes sense to have a name for
the platform itself.  As a relative newcomer to Haxe it was a bit
confusing at first sorting out exactly what Haxe is.  It's a language,
no wait it's actually quite a bit more, oh hey look at this cool neash
stuff, so is that part of haxe?  By now I know the answers to that,
but it took a while to put it all together.

IMO Haxe is one of those tools that's in the right place at the right
time.  It's got huge potential, and one of the things it could benefit
from the most is a simple facelift.  I've been very impressed with the
community.  The website has a ton of actual content.  The docs are
pretty damn good.  For a 'one person shop' it's got more
documentation, articles, and generally helpful information then you
get from any number of commercial companies.

Chris

Re: Haxe Showcase

Alex Liebert
I mostly agree with you.  I failed to pitch haXe to a fairly big social online game company I worked for for some of these reasons.

The name is a little tough, I always pronounce it 'hacks' instead of 'hex', but with the first one it sounds like you're hacking your code together and the last one it sounds like you're trying to talk about assembly but don't really know what you're talking about.

The NME project is really appealing now, I think, in terms of what it can do and the timing in the market.  A slick website and branding would definitely help, but that's another thing that comes back to people's time to contribute it.  Web development and graphic design for the web are really low on my skillset unfortunately.

There's a lot of attention to these commercial 'cross platform mobile' solutions coming out now- and some are very well funded by VC.  With the right presentation we can pitch NME to some bigger news/developer outlets very well.  I try to mention it when I talk to people in these circles and I'd be interested in pursuing media attention with NME once its stabilized.

Alex

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 1:23 PM, Alex Liebert <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Web development and graphic design for the web are really
> low on my skillset unfortunately.

Ya I think a lot of us fall into that category, and even if we did
have the skills, we'd probably rather be writing code...

Chris

Re: Haxe Showcase

Elsass Philippe
+1 to push NME (aka "enemy") as an outstanding project which would
happen to use haxe as its language.

It still needs some work to "just work" ;) but I'm confident this can
be haxe's Next Big Thing, and I'm going to make sure we can have a
kick ass workflow in FlashDevelop (hint: get FDT on this too).

Re: Haxe Showcase

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
I don't think integration is better than the tools themselves. I used to be like that - overemphasize IDE's, but 5 years in the Ruby community completely changed my mind. The best therapy ever.

If you have good toolchain (CLI), you can integrate it with anything you'd like, or just use them alone. I think any language should be usable without needing any special GUI/IDE software. Of course, if we talk about graphics, that's another story, but even so, I prefer the Unix philosphy 'do one thing and do it well'. If you have components that do one thing and do it well, then you can use the OS and your favorite programming language to glue your own workflow.

That being said, Vim and Emacs are the gods of text-editing. Not even Textmate can fight them, as long as you are willing to learn them. It's amazing how fast you can edit stuff in Vim and Emacs and avoid the small things that actually get you out of the "zone". Besides, Vim and Emacs are cross-platform, a big plus. I mainly use MacVim nowadays, and it rocks!

I'm not saying it's not OK to have plugins for FD or FDT, but I feel that the flash-related community gives too much emphasis to bells and whistles. Try to ditch intellisense. It's like a spiritual liberation. Simpler is better.

Instead, let's focus on the things that matter:
 * The haXe compiler and language, the way to version 3
 * haXe facelift - new name (?) new overall graphical concept. What do we want to communicate?

I'm really excited about haXe, and I want the community to take it to the next level. It's the perfect solution for intensive graphical apps and cross-platform apps, and it's open! It's also a great way to learn compiler theory and all related stuff.

@Chris I think you have a similar background as I do. I also followed Zed and all his awesome work with Mongrel and other OS projects. If you want to learn how to be a true hacker, you should read about Zed Shaw!

Marcelo.

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 4:04 PM, Alex Liebert <[hidden email]> wrote:
awesome- a direct integration with FD would be really, really useful.  Especially something that could generate nmml/manage assets using the current FD UIs (or something like them.)

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 2:00 PM, Elsass Philippe <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 to push NME (aka "enemy") as an outstanding project which would
happen to use haxe as its language.

It still needs some work to "just work" ;) but I'm confident this can
be haxe's Next Big Thing, and I'm going to make sure we can have a
kick ass workflow in FlashDevelop (hint: get FDT on this too).

Re: Haxe Showcase

Raoul Duke
On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 3:31 PM, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> If you have good toolchain (CLI), you can integrate it with anything you'd
> like, or just use them alone.

e.g. as has been described by other people on other mailing lists, the
compiler can generate errors as json things (or yaml if you must :-)
so that any tool can be updated to parse those things however best
suits that tool, be it eclipse or emacs or nothing. so you build
things to be generic so that they can be woven together. rather than
e.g. buying the, say, eclipse hook-line-and-sinker and being stuck
there. yes, there's more indirection involved in the end. but then at
least there's more choice and opportunity perhaps.

$0.02.

Re: Haxe Showcase

Alex Liebert
Dangerous road to start on (like politics and religion) but I can't resist.  Personally, Flash Develop is my editor of choice.  It has great integration with the haXe compiler and it handles resources, as in pictures and sounds, very well.  (no one really benefits most of the time from typing filenames into an ANT script etc.)  Plus I think Phillipe is the developer of FD so it's definitely a good way for him to spend his time :)

The NME command line tools work fine for me, but the majority of Flash developers (the big target audience here) don't/won't work without IDE integration, and if you tell them everything needs to happen on a Command line on top of trying a new language /etc it will outweight the benefits for them.

Otherwise in agreement...

[...]

Well, maybe I overreacted :)

FD and FDT are fine as long as the tools that they integrate are truly IDE/editor-agnostic.

I used to use FD a loong time ago, and it was good :)  So, kudos to Philippe.

Cheers,

Marcelo.

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 5:45 PM, Alex Liebert <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Re: Re: [haXe] Re: Haxe Showcase

Rob Fell
Taking it to it's natural conclusion ;-)

Make the IDE cloud based with integrated CI, add some preconfigured game
genre templates with drag-n-drop component store, include a "publish to
all app stores / social networks" wizard and take a royalty from each
published game / component / app / micro transaction / plush toy
merchandising.  All powered by "KLRAP" * (the new name for haXe as a
webservice) with user manuals written in Chinese, Swahili & Kitty Pidgin.

* Yes, the "L" in the new name is a critical brand distinction!

On 11:59 AM, Alex Liebert wrote:

> awesome- a direct integration with FD would be really, really useful.
>  Especially something that could generate nmml/manage assets using the
> current FD UIs (or something like them.)
>
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 2:00 PM, Elsass Philippe
>
>     +1 to push NME (aka "enemy") as an outstanding project which would
>     happen to use haxe as its language.
>
>     It still needs some work to "just work" ;) but I'm confident this can
>     be haxe's Next Big Thing, and I'm going to make sure we can have a
>     kick ass workflow in FlashDevelop (hint: get FDT on this too).
>
>     --
>     http://haxe.org

Re: Re: [haXe] Re: Haxe Showcase

Raoul Duke
damn.

take that to the vc's man. srzly.

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 4:10 PM, Rob Fell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Taking it to it's natural conclusion ;-)
>
> Make the IDE cloud based with integrated CI, add some preconfigured game
> genre templates with drag-n-drop component store, include a "publish to all
> app stores / social networks" wizard and take a royalty from each published
> game / component / app / micro transaction / plush toy merchandising.  All
> powered by "KLRAP" * (the new name for haXe as a webservice) with user
> manuals written in Chinese, Swahili & Kitty Pidgin.
>
> * Yes, the "L" in the new name is a critical brand distinction!

Re: Haxe Showcase

Jan_Flanders

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 12:31 AM, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <[hidden email]> wrote:

Instead, let's focus on the things that matter:
 * The haXe compiler and language, the way to version 3

 * haXe facelift - new name (?)
I like the name. It is also closely linked to many tools, code libraries, websites etc that have 'hx' or 'haxe' in their name.

new overall graphical concept. What do we want to communicate?

Cheers,
Jan

Re: Haxe Showcase

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
Changing the name is not really necessary, I think a facelift is more important.

Do we have an IRC channel?

Cheers,

- Marcelo.

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 6:35 PM, Jan Flanders <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 12:31 AM, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <[hidden email]> wrote:

Instead, let's focus on the things that matter:
 * The haXe compiler and language, the way to version 3

 * haXe facelift - new name (?)
I like the name. It is also closely linked to many tools, code libraries, websites etc that have 'hx' or 'haxe' in their name.

new overall graphical concept. What do we want to communicate?

Cheers,
Jan

Re: Haxe Showcase

David Peek-2
I like the name too, although occasionally wonder if "hex" might avoid all the pronunciation questions that generally arise.

More importantly we need a style guide: is it HaXe, haXe, haxe, HAXE, HAxE or ha><e :P

What ever happened to the website redesign competition? There was a lot of activity there for a while...

On 22/07/2011, at 10:29 AM, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa wrote:

Changing the name is not really necessary, I think a facelift is more important.

Do we have an IRC channel?

Cheers,

- Marcelo.

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 6:35 PM, Jan Flanders <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 12:31 AM, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <[hidden email]> wrote:

Instead, let's focus on the things that matter:
 * The haXe compiler and language, the way to version 3

 * haXe facelift - new name (?)
I like the name. It is also closely linked to many tools, code libraries, websites etc that have 'hx' or 'haxe' in their name.

new overall graphical concept. What do we want to communicate?

Cheers,
Jan

Re: Haxe Showcase

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
@Marcelo: 1) Egg Truck already compiles to Flash. 2) Tried accelerometer but it wasn't as fun / confusing 3) CPP (with NME)

There already is a new logo. We just need a new site!