Haxe Showcase

1234 ... 6

Haxe Showcase

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
So, there seems to be a real lack of "who the heck is using this and for what?" on the haxe site. So I've started the showcase here: http://haxe.org/com/showcase?lang=en

I've just added a bunch of our stuff (Touch My Pixel) and the two Milkman Games games. I'm not precious about what I've added so please remove anything not good enough to make the list.

Please also add your own work. I suggest not putting who it's by on this list. Simply a list of good things made in haxe.

I think it would also be a good idea to start a "who's using it" page as well.

Re: Haxe Showcase

Alex Liebert
Nice idea.  Thanks for thinking of the Milkman! :D

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 9:03 PM, Tarwin Stroh-Spijer <[hidden email]> wrote:
So, there seems to be a real lack of "who the heck is using this and for what?" on the haxe site. So I've started the showcase here: http://haxe.org/com/showcase?lang=en

I've just added a bunch of our stuff (Touch My Pixel) and the two Milkman Games games. I'm not precious about what I've added so please remove anything not good enough to make the list.

Please also add your own work. I suggest not putting who it's by on this list. Simply a list of good things made in haxe.

I think it would also be a good idea to start a "who's using it" page as well.

phone: <a href="tel:%2B61%203%208060%205321" value="+61380605321" target="_blank">+61 3 8060 5321

Re: Haxe Showcase

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
Awesome.

Was this one compiled to CPP? How hard was it to setup the environment and what external tools you used -- did you use any native objectiveC classes?

Cheers!

Marcelo.

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 11:10 PM, Alex Liebert <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nice idea.  Thanks for thinking of the Milkman! :D

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 9:03 PM, Tarwin Stroh-Spijer <[hidden email]> wrote:
So, there seems to be a real lack of "who the heck is using this and for what?" on the haxe site. So I've started the showcase here: http://haxe.org/com/showcase?lang=en

I've just added a bunch of our stuff (Touch My Pixel) and the two Milkman Games games. I'm not precious about what I've added so please remove anything not good enough to make the list.

Please also add your own work. I suggest not putting who it's by on this list. Simply a list of good things made in haxe.

I think it would also be a good idea to start a "who's using it" page as well.

phone: <a href="tel:%2B61%203%208060%205321" value="+61380605321" target="_blank">+61 3 8060 5321

Re: Haxe Showcase

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
Egg Truck : All the code was posted to the list, so you can check it out.
No ObjectiveC, and was actually qutie an old NME (a year old maybe?)
Tools: The level was built using our LayoutTool (code on google code) to make Box2D layout. Other than that, just Photoshop.
With the new packaging tool I'm sure it would be easier! All works in Flash (and maybe JS) as well.

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 3:18 PM, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Tony Polinelli
what is nme.. hah. ill explain.

nme is the library that allows a flash style API for c++, iphone, android, webos, etc. haxe compiles your code to c++ and the library uses native c++ to emulate the flash API. so, you can  make a flash style game, and compile it for other platforms.

I wrote no c++ or objectiveC to get this game working - thanks to Hugh's library (nme).

check out gamehaxe.com if your interested. search for nekonme on googlecode - or just follow hugh's installation instructions for your platform.

cheers

_______________________

Le 21/07/2011 06:03, Tarwin Stroh-Spijer a écrit :
> So, there seems to be a real lack of "*who the heck is using this and
> for what?*" on the haxe site. So I've started the showcase here:
> http://haxe.org/com/showcase?lang=en

Added Motion-Twin games.

However, I think we need a new front page website that showcase
something like "success stories" with more infos than just a link to the
website ;)

Re: Haxe Showcase

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
I just played the game on my iPhone 4 and it is is really awesome!

See, that's what's is lacking from haXe -- some good press. That's how we gather people. Good old marketing. Of course, the value of the tool will surpass the initial perceptions created by persuation, but at first, that's what counts. Coming from the ruby community, I know the importance of good aesthetics in the form of good copywriting, documentation, standards and well-designed websites.

Not to say haXe doesn't have some of it, but certainly not a lot. The main website could certainly be redesigned to something more web2'ish. Two examples:

* rubyonrails.com (simpler, but very nice typography)

I don't mean to offend whoever created it, but the haxe.org's design is already asking for a change. It doesn't communicate haXe in the way it should IMHO. Of course, the content is also king. For that, more volunteers are needed. To get more volunteers, a good first impression is needed - not everyone knows someone who uses haXe who can pass that awesome perception of haXe. Lots of people might only be searching for something cool or stumble upon the website by accident and retaining them is key :)

With the advent of the Monkey compiler from Blitz Research and lots of other trans-language compilers around, I really think we have a good opportunity to get haXe in the spot and mature it, forming a real community around it. I don't think haXe is a silver-bullet, but I do think it's an excellent solution for some specific kind of projects such as cross-platform games, apps and also for situations where you just don't want to dig down into C/C++ and still want to use its platform/compilers. And best of all, haXe is open and free :)

Now, these are just my thoughts. Take these as constructive criticism, and I'm willing to help in any way I can. Let's discuss it.

Cheers,

Marcelo.

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 9:03 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

@Tarwin, I have a few questions for you, if you don't mind:

1) How hard would that be to compile it to flash ? Just curious. I will try later on after work.
2) Egg Truck has so much potential, it could really turn into something addictive - thanks so much for releasing the source code. Using the iPhone's accelerometer would be nice I think, how hard would it be with haXe and NME exported to CPP/iPhone?
3) Does haXe iPhone development export to CPP or ObjectiveC?

Thanks!

Marcelo.

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

danielku15
I added my Project alphaTab to the list.

RE: Haxe Showcase

I think New Media Engine is a bit nasty… Might as well call it a multimedia engine :-D  What about going the route of PHP’s recursive name and calling it “NME Media Engine”???  At the time when I named it, I thought NME (enemy) was pretty cool, as it’s quite game related.  I still think it sounds cool :-)  Might be good to see if we can come up with a play on words… Not sure what, tho.

Lee

[...]

phone: <a href="tel:%2B61%203%208060%205321" target="_blank">+61 3 8060 5321

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 12:54 PM, Alex Liebert <[hidden email]> wrote:
i might have some good news about PR for haXe coming soon, I'll share when something is concrete.

Totally not fair ... how are we supposed to manage the stress from not knowing what is going on?

Franco

1234 ... 6