Haxe 3D initiative

singmajesty
At the last Haxe hangout, there was discussion surrounding an initiative
for natively supporting Flash 11 style APIs for hardware rendering or
shaders. How many people are working on this project? Is there anywhere I
can find more information?

It would be great to be able to offer mobile and desktop support for
frameworks like Away3D (for 3D) and Starling (for 2D). I'm curious if this
project is a long way off, if it needs more hands, or what you guys are up
to :)

Thanks!

Re: Haxe 3D initiative

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
The info is here I think: http://haxe.org/com/incubator/3dengine?lang=en

(2 cents) The biggest thing making 2D in these systems not as easy as Flash is still a lack of reading SWF assets. This doesn't mean playing them, but at least reading them frame by frame to then create bitmaps.

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 6:19 PM, Joshua Granick <[hidden email]> wrote:
At the last Haxe hangout, there was discussion surrounding an initiative for natively supporting Flash 11 style APIs for hardware rendering or shaders. How many people are working on this project? Is there anywhere I can find more information?

It would be great to be able to offer mobile and desktop support for frameworks like Away3D (for 3D) and Starling (for 2D). I'm curious if this project is a long way off, if it needs more hands, or what you guys are up to :)

Thanks!

Re: Haxe 3D initiative

singmajesty
A workflow like this can help:

http://www.joshuagranick.com/blog/2011/08/27/export-swf-animation-to-nme-using-sprite-sheets/

But I agree, it would be nice. I still need to try the SWF import code
that Hugh has been playing with in gm2d

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 01:59:49 -0700, Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> The info is here I think: http://haxe.org/com/incubator/3dengine?lang=en
>
> (2 cents) The biggest thing making 2D in these systems not as easy as
> Flash
> is still a lack of reading SWF assets. This doesn't mean playing them,
> but
> at least reading them frame by frame to then create bitmaps.
>

> Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
> _______________________
>
> Touch My Pixel
> http://www.touchmypixel.com/
> phone: +61 3 8060 5321
> _______________________
>

> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 6:19 PM, Joshua Granick
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> At the last Haxe hangout, there was discussion surrounding an initiative
>> for natively supporting Flash 11 style APIs for hardware rendering or
>> shaders. How many people are working on this project? Is there anywhere
>> can find more information?
>>
>> It would be great to be able to offer mobile and desktop support for
>> frameworks like Away3D (for 3D) and Starling (for 2D). I'm curious if
>> this
>> project is a long way off, if it needs more hands, or what you guys are
>> up
>> to :)
>>
>> Thanks!

Re: Haxe 3D initiative

sledorze
On the Hide (temp name) side; I've started working on a collada parser.
It still gots matrixs issues and as I was working on the skinning, I stumbled upon the shader support for indexed acces.

I've submitted a patch 2 months ago to the format lib.

Since then, no much progress has been made as I have not been able to find an artist willing to invest enough time into the project and obviously I can't just wait for the patch integration forever, so I switched to some other projects for money).

I can push the collada reader code on github but the code is a little crappy (mainly because of the difference in the math APIs).

However; a major contribution has been made by Matthew here:
https://github.com/m22spencer/HxGL

I think Matthew can speak about the obstacles and solution for an integration with NME / GM2D.

Stéphane

Re: Haxe 3D initiative

Matthew Spencer-2

We've gotten pretty busy with work, but going to resume work on hxgl soon!

Matthew Spencer

On Sep 21, 2011 5:39 AM, "sledorze" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On the Hide (temp name) side; I've started working on a collada parser.
> It still gots matrixs issues and as I was working on the skinning, I
> stumbled upon the shader support for indexed acces.
>
> I've submitted a patch 2 months ago to the format lib.
>
> Since then, no much progress has been made as I have not been able to find
> an artist willing to invest enough time into the project and obviously I
> can't just wait for the patch integration forever, so I switched to some
> other projects for money).
>
> I can push the collada reader code on github but the code is a little crappy
> (mainly because of the difference in the math APIs).
>
> However; a major contribution has been made by Matthew here:
> https://github.com/m22spencer/HxGL
>
> I think Matthew can speak about the obstacles and solution for an
> integration with NME / GM2D.
>
> Stéphane

Re: Haxe 3D initiative

Alex Liebert
Hey Stephane,

What kind of support from an artist do you need?  I may be able to help you out some.

Alex

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 2:37 AM, sledorze <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Good to hear that; you've already done an amazing job; could make such

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 2:34 PM, Matthew Spencer-2 [via Haxe] <[hidden email]> wrote:

We've gotten pretty busy with work, but going to resume work on hxgl soon!

Matthew Spencer

On Sep 21, 2011 5:39 AM, "sledorze" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On the Hide (temp name) side; I've started working on a collada parser.
> It still gots matrixs issues and as I was working on the skinning, I
> stumbled upon the shader support for indexed acces.
>
> I've submitted a patch 2 months ago to the format lib.
>
> Since then, no much progress has been made as I have not been able to find
> an artist willing to invest enough time into the project and obviously I
> can't just wait for the patch integration forever, so I switched to some
> other projects for money).
>
> I can push the collada reader code on github but the code is a little crappy
> (mainly because of the difference in the math APIs).
>
> However; a major contribution has been made by Matthew here:
> https://github.com/m22spencer/HxGL
>
> I think Matthew can speak about the obstacles and solution for an
> integration with NME / GM2D.
>
> Stéphane

http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/Haxe-3D-initiative-tp6815275p6815838.html

Stéphane Le Dorze

Re: Haxe 3D initiative

sledorze
ah sorry, laptop in bed; email sent on keystroke error..
anyway, great to hear Matthew!

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 8:19 PM, Stephane Le Dorze <[hidden email]> wrote:
Good to hear that; you've already done an amazing job; could make such

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 2:34 PM, Matthew Spencer-2 [via Haxe] <[hidden email]> wrote:

We've gotten pretty busy with work, but going to resume work on hxgl soon!

Matthew Spencer

On Sep 21, 2011 5:39 AM, "sledorze" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On the Hide (temp name) side; I've started working on a collada parser.
> It still gots matrixs issues and as I was working on the skinning, I
> stumbled upon the shader support for indexed acces.
>
> I've submitted a patch 2 months ago to the format lib.
>
> Since then, no much progress has been made as I have not been able to find
> an artist willing to invest enough time into the project and obviously I
> can't just wait for the patch integration forever, so I switched to some
> other projects for money).
>
> I can push the collada reader code on github but the code is a little crappy
> (mainly because of the difference in the math APIs).
>
> However; a major contribution has been made by Matthew here:
> https://github.com/m22spencer/HxGL
>
> I think Matthew can speak about the obstacles and solution for an
> integration with NME / GM2D.
>
> Stéphane

http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/Haxe-3D-initiative-tp6815275p6815838.html

Stéphane Le Dorze

Tel: <a href="tel:%2B33%20%280%29%206%2008%20%C2%A076%2070%2015" value="+33608767015" target="_blank">+33 (0) 6 08  76 70 15

--
Stéphane Le Dorze

Re: Haxe 3D initiative

sledorze
Hi Alex, Thanks for the offer!
It was not support but full involvement in a little social 3D RTS (deterministic fights) I had since I saw starcraft 3D (long before minitroopers :p ).
That's said; at the time of writing; planets are not aligned to resume on this work.. not yet.
Stephane

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 9:46 AM, Alex Liebert [via Haxe] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/Haxe-3D-initiative-tp6815275p6828673.html

Stéphane Le Dorze