HaXe Basics

Salman Haq
I'm starting to introduce myself to HaXe. My background is in
developing applications for robots which we are using in an academic
research project. The information on the HaXe website has served as a
good primer for me. I understand that HaXe can be an extremely useful
tool, however due to my own limited knowledge, I am unable to
understand the full implications of using HaXe.

For example, one of the programs I have developed is a video player
which displays a feed from the on-board robot camera. If I were to
re-write this application, how can I leverage HaXe. What advantage
will I gain by developing in HaXe and compiling for Flash 9.

Secondly, I am interested in sending basic control commands to the
robot. Ideally I would like the flash widget to send these commands
through a socket, however ActionScript sockets have some fundamental
limitations about connecting to arbitrary IP addresses. How can HaXe
help me get around these limitations.

Please understand that my questions arise from the fact that I am new
to the concept of multi-platform languages. My apologies in advance if
the questions I've asked are very loaded. I'll be happy if someone can
point to the write documentation to help me understand the concepts
better.

Thank you,
Salman

Re: HaXe Basics

Benjamin Dasnois
Hello Salman,

At first, welcome to the wonderful worl of haXe programming !

As you understood, haXe is a multi-platform languages. It's been
created with web development in mind and therefore is able to compile
for the three main part of web-development : Server-Side (Neko / PHP),
Client-Side (JS), and Rich-Client-Side (Flash). Also note that Neko
and PHP can be both used to create desktop applications.

As you certainly know, web-platforms (on the client-side) are running
in a sandbox because we don't want any application to be able to
execute anything. That's why for example Flash's sockets are limited.
Maybe you would want to look at Neko to do that or you may find
another solution (such as having an intermediate layer running
somewhere for example, we can't help much since you didn't give more
informations about what limitations of the sockets are stopping you).

As for haXevideo, this is a quite advanced topic and you should learn
a little bit of haXe before. :)

Good luck,

Regards,

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 5:58 AM, Salman Haq <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm starting to introduce myself to HaXe. My background is in
> developing applications for robots which we are using in an academic
> research project. The information on the HaXe website has served as a
> good primer for me. I understand that HaXe can be an extremely useful
> tool, however due to my own limited knowledge, I am unable to
> understand the full implications of using HaXe.
>
> For example, one of the programs I have developed is a video player
> which displays a feed from the on-board robot camera. If I were to
> re-write this application, how can I leverage HaXe. What advantage
> will I gain by developing in HaXe and compiling for Flash 9.
>
> Secondly, I am interested in sending basic control commands to the
> robot. Ideally I would like the flash widget to send these commands
> through a socket, however ActionScript sockets have some fundamental
> limitations about connecting to arbitrary IP addresses. How can HaXe
> help me get around these limitations.
>
> Please understand that my questions arise from the fact that I am new
> to the concept of multi-platform languages. My apologies in advance if
> the questions I've asked are very loaded. I'll be happy if someone can
> point to the write documentation to help me understand the concepts
> better.
>
> Thank you,
> Salman

DASNOIS Benjamin
http://www.benjamindasnois.com

Re: HaXe Basics

Salman Haq a écrit :
> Secondly, I am interested in sending basic control commands to the
> robot. Ideally I would like the flash widget to send these commands
> through a socket, however ActionScript sockets have some fundamental
> limitations about connecting to arbitrary IP addresses. How can HaXe
> help me get around these limitations.

You can for example use SWHX (http://haxe.org/com/libs/swhx), by using
Flash for the UI and Neko for the network.