HIDE3D - project hosting solution.

sledorze
Hello,

There's been some disagreement about the hosting solution  of the project.
Those were because of settings issues.

As we're all willing this project to succeed, I think we're all concerned about the best fit.
(And I think that settings issues should not prevent success :p ).

This project being a community one; I don't want to impose anything (I'm not creating Python), then I propose to vote for it!

I've created in the wiki an entry of possible solutions for hosting here:
http://haxe.org/com/incubator/3dengine/projecthosting

I propose you add to this list and then I'll make a Twiigs poll (hoping it's free) :)

I take this opportunity to tell you my personnal choice (as you all know) is gitHub; even if I'm more used to Bitbucket when I work alone, I think it's the best choice for a community project.
A picture is worth thousands words:
http://www.readwriteweb.com/hack/2011/06/github-has-passed-sourceforge.php

Please, investigate and participate! :)

Stephane

Re: HIDE3D - project hosting solution.

sledorze
So please, add it to the list :)

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 10:26 AM, Tarwin Stroh-Spijer [via Haxe] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'd go for SVN (Google Code) just because it's what I know. Though I know GitHub isn't too hard to learn and with TortoiseGit for Windows I don't have to cry too much.

phone: <a href="tel:%2B61%203%208060%205321" value="+61380605321" target="_blank">+61 3 8060 5321
_______________________

[...]

http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/HIDE3D-project-hosting-solution-tp6482079p6482170.html

Stéphane Le Dorze

Tel: +33 (0) 6 08  76 70 15

Re: HIDE3D - project hosting solution.

Munshy
You can add Kiln - hmmm this one's not free - launchpad, and mercurial.intuxication.org/ to your list.

Does private repositories needed ?

Github is really community friendly (gist <3 ...) but you can't have private repositories unless you pay ;)

Re: HIDE3D - project hosting solution.

sledorze
Oh.. did not know those.
I really like how the video explain DVCS and how CVCS is a pain; I think everyone should understand that (I think the match is 1-1 with those which have tried it with several developpers).

Please add those.

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 10:34 AM, Munshy [via Haxe] <[hidden email]> wrote:
You can add Kiln - hmmm this one's not free - launchpad, and mercurial.intuxication.org/ to your list.

Does private repositories needed ?

Github is really community friendly (gist <3 ...) but you can't have private repositories unless you pay ;)

http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/HIDE3D-project-hosting-solution-tp6482079p6482199.html
To unsubscribe from HIDE3D - project hosting solution., click here.

--
Stéphane Le Dorze

Tel: +33 (0) 6 08  76 70 15

Re: HIDE3D - project hosting solution.

sledorze
Hi!

It's time to vote for the hosting solution!
I've tried to use twiigs but it's dead slow and I had several disconnections and MySQL database errors appeared in the browser.. (nothing to add)

So I'll keep it simple, stupid:
Please add a one liner (choice letter and your name) at the end of the page (below).
So that everybody will be able to verify the vote.
When the vote is over (tomorrow evening); I'll take the two top most and we'll be able to do another, last round.

Don't change the choice list; it's now closed.
In humans, I trust :)

Stephane

Re: HIDE3D - project hosting solution.

Tony Polinelli
Not to rain on you parade- but wouldn't hosting/names etc comE after
the Project is somewhat established... And even at that point- vote
for hosting?! Cant the project leader just sort out some cheap shared
hosting?

On Saturday, June 18, 2011, sledorze <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> It's time to vote for the hosting solution!
> I've tried to use twiigs but it's dead slow and I had several disconnections
> and MySQL database errors appeared in the browser.. (nothing to add)
>
> So I'll keep it simple, stupid:
> Please add a one liner (choice letter and your name) at the end of the page
> (below).
> So that everybody will be able to verify the vote.
> When the vote is over (tomorrow evening); I'll take the two top most and
> we'll be able to do another, last round.
>
> Don't change the choice list; it's now closed.
> In humans, I trust :)
>
> Stephane

Re: HIDE3D - project hosting solution.

Bruno Garcia
On 06/17/2011 05:09 PM, Tony Polinelli wrote:
> Not to rain on you parade- but wouldn't hosting/names etc comE after
> the Project is somewhat established... And even at that point- vote
> for hosting?! Cant the project leader just sort out some cheap shared
> hosting?

Agreed... with every post about administrivia and no code being written
I get a little less excited about this project. I don't mean to impose,
but could I suggest:

- Don't worry too much about organizing a team. It's easier to get up to
speed solo, and having a working proof of concept will make it easy to
attract attention later.

- Plan a real game you want to use with this engine, and build them both
in parallel. Developing an engine (or any library) in isolation is a bad
idea.

Just my two cents from here in the peanut gallery :)

Bruno

Re: HIDE3D - project hosting solution.

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
Good points.

I've got a game if one is needed.

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 11:12 AM, Bruno Garcia <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I would agree with you that's why I've proposed github.
For me it was just obvious.
However, at first attempt to bring someone on pushing to it; I encountered a "can't use it, I'll create another repo on google code".
So.. I think that it was mandatory for us to agree, I'm not used at participating to open source project so I'll make some mistakes.
Sorry for the delay.

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 2:10 AM, Tony Polinelli [via Haxe] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Not to rain on you parade- but wouldn't hosting/names etc comE after
the Project is somewhat established... And even at that point- vote
for hosting?! Cant the project leader just sort out some cheap shared
hosting?

On Saturday, June 18, 2011, sledorze <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> It's time to vote for the hosting solution!
> I've tried to use twiigs but it's dead slow and I had several disconnections
> and MySQL database errors appeared in the browser.. (nothing to add)
>
> So I'll keep it simple, stupid:
> Please add a one liner (choice letter and your name) at the end of the page
> (below).
> So that everybody will be able to verify the vote.
> When the vote is over (tomorrow evening); I'll take the two top most and
> we'll be able to do another, last round.
>
> Don't change the choice list; it's now closed.
> In humans, I trust :)
>
> Stephane

http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/HIDE3D-project-hosting-solution-tp6482079p6489292.html

Stéphane Le Dorze

Tel: +33 (0) 6 08  76 70 15

Re: HIDE3D - project hosting solution.

sledorze
:)
I know there's a low code/mail ratio, just needed to bootstrap it first.
Frankly, I cannot make an engine alone, it's too long, and I don't know the platforms enough to make good decisions.
So I prefer bringing some people together and move in parallel.
Like I said last meeting, the kick off is this sunday.
I think like everybody open source is not my main activity and I do it on share time, so don't expect to have a usable engine next week.
That said, I am also worried not having that bootstrapping faster (personnaly got a project resurrection in the middle of the week which adds to my current workload, that's life).
It's the reason also I want us to deliver regularly.
Again, we can discuss the timeframe tomorrow, 18h00, french time.
Good point about the project! I do it for that purpose (and for IOS), but still need to find a good artist! ;)
Patience, it's coming!

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 3:13 AM, Bruno Garcia [via Haxe] <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 06/17/2011 05:09 PM, Tony Polinelli wrote:
> Not to rain on you parade- but wouldn't hosting/names etc comE after
> the Project is somewhat established... And even at that point- vote
> for hosting?! Cant the project leader just sort out some cheap shared
> hosting?

Agreed... with every post about administrivia and no code being written
I get a little less excited about this project. I don't mean to impose,
but could I suggest:

- Don't worry too much about organizing a team. It's easier to get up to
speed solo, and having a working proof of concept will make it easy to
attract attention later.

- Plan a real game you want to use with this engine, and build them both
in parallel. Developing an engine (or any library) in isolation is a bad
idea.

Just my two cents from here in the peanut gallery :)

Bruno

http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/HIDE3D-project-hosting-solution-tp6482079p6489466.html

Stéphane Le Dorze

Tel: +33 (0) 6 08  76 70 15

Re: HIDE3D - project hosting solution.

Deano

I can offer free hosting for this project, a small VPS on a solaris host (my own dedicated servers), if they helps?

I’m too busy at the moment to help out with the more useful things, but hosting is something I can give to the project.

If you want to take me up on the offer, simple tell me what you need and who you’d like to be the main contact and I’ll get it setup and send that contact, the root password to the VPS (I can also set it up with some base software if you have preference for webservers etc.).

HTH,

Deano

I know there's a low code/mail ratio, just needed to bootstrap it first.

Frankly, I cannot make an engine alone, it's too long, and I don't know the platforms enough to make good decisions.

So I prefer bringing some people together and move in parallel.

Like I said last meeting, the kick off is this sunday.

I think like everybody open source is not my main activity and I do it on share time, so don't expect to have a usable engine next week.

That said, I am also worried not having that bootstrapping faster (personnaly got a project resurrection in the middle of the week which adds to my current workload, that's life).
It's the reason also I want us to deliver regularly.

Again, we can discuss the timeframe tomorrow, 18h00, french time.

Good point about the project! I do it for that purpose (and for IOS), but still need to find a good artist! ;)

Patience, it's coming!

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 3:13 AM, Bruno Garcia [via Haxe] <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 06/17/2011 05:09 PM, Tony Polinelli wrote:
> Not to rain on you parade- but wouldn't hosting/names etc comE after
> the Project is somewhat established... And even at that point- vote
> for hosting?! Cant the project leader just sort out some cheap shared
> hosting?

Agreed... with every post about administrivia and no code being written
I get a little less excited about this project. I don't mean to impose,
but could I suggest:

- Don't worry too much about organizing a team. It's easier to get up to
speed solo, and having a working proof of concept will make it easy to
attract attention later.

- Plan a real game you want to use with this engine, and build them both
in parallel. Developing an engine (or any library) in isolation is a bad
idea.

Just my two cents from here in the peanut gallery :)

Bruno

http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/HIDE3D-project-hosting-solution-tp6482079p6489466.html

To unsubscribe from HIDE3D - project hosting solution., click here.

--

Stéphane Le Dorze

Tel: +33 (0) 6 08  76 70 15

Re: HIDE3D - project hosting solution.

sledorze
Like you can see on the current vote status; we'll probably switch to the wonderful github (free)!
Thanks for the offer anyway!

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 1:59 PM, Deano [via Haxe] <[hidden email]> wrote:

I can offer free hosting for this project, a small VPS on a solaris host (my own dedicated servers), if they helps?

I’m too busy at the moment to help out with the more useful things, but hosting is something I can give to the project.

If you want to take me up on the offer, simple tell me what you need and who you’d like to be the main contact and I’ll get it setup and send that contact, the root password to the VPS (I can also set it up with some base software if you have preference for webservers etc.).

HTH,

Deano

I know there's a low code/mail ratio, just needed to bootstrap it first.

Frankly, I cannot make an engine alone, it's too long, and I don't know the platforms enough to make good decisions.

So I prefer bringing some people together and move in parallel.

Like I said last meeting, the kick off is this sunday.

I think like everybody open source is not my main activity and I do it on share time, so don't expect to have a usable engine next week.

That said, I am also worried not having that bootstrapping faster (personnaly got a project resurrection in the middle of the week which adds to my current workload, that's life).
It's the reason also I want us to deliver regularly.

Again, we can discuss the timeframe tomorrow, 18h00, french time.

Good point about the project! I do it for that purpose (and for IOS), but still need to find a good artist! ;)

Patience, it's coming!

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 3:13 AM, Bruno Garcia [via Haxe] <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 06/17/2011 05:09 PM, Tony Polinelli wrote:
> Not to rain on you parade- but wouldn't hosting/names etc comE after
> the Project is somewhat established... And even at that point- vote
> for hosting?! Cant the project leader just sort out some cheap shared
> hosting?

Agreed... with every post about administrivia and no code being written
I get a little less excited about this project. I don't mean to impose,
but could I suggest:

- Don't worry too much about organizing a team. It's easier to get up to
speed solo, and having a working proof of concept will make it easy to
attract attention later.

- Plan a real game you want to use with this engine, and build them both
in parallel. Developing an engine (or any library) in isolation is a bad
idea.

Just my two cents from here in the peanut gallery :)

Bruno

http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/HIDE3D-project-hosting-solution-tp6482079p6489466.html

To unsubscribe from HIDE3D - project hosting solution., click here.

--

Stéphane Le Dorze

Tel: <a href="tel:%2B33%20%280%29%206%2008%20%C2%A076%2070%2015" value="+33608767015" target="_blank">+33 (0) 6 08  76 70 15

http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/HIDE3D-project-hosting-solution-tp6482079p6490598.html

Stéphane Le Dorze

Tel: +33 (0) 6 08  76 70 15

Re: HIDE3D - project hosting solution.

Munshy
I dont want to be over-positive, but is it really a big deal ?

It takes juste few minutes to decide this and then it's done, and we can focus on most important things like find people for the project... no ? ^^

Re: HIDE3D - project hosting solution.

sledorze
If you compare how to work between git and svn, then yes, it's a very big deal :)
It does not take so much time (we're not stuck while it's coming along).
I can dictate stuff, but I think people won't join..
Anyway, perhaps I'm wrong..

http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/HIDE3D-project-hosting-solution-tp6482079p6490697.html
To unsubscribe from HIDE3D - project hosting solution., click here.

--
Stéphane Le Dorze

Tel: +33 (0) 6 08  76 70 15

Re: HIDE3D - project hosting solution.

sledorze
Ok, seeing the results, I think there's no need to do a second run..
Thanks for participating,
So we'll be on github (like expected :) ).
Thanks,
Stephane