Guardian: Haxe game in JS/Neko

eigenbom
Hi all,

After coming across Haxe a few months ago, I'm proud to have finished the first iteration of a game written almost entirely in Haxe (minus a few scripts and doodads). It's a browser-based multiplayer game that uses js/Html5 for the client and Neko for the server side. It uses WebSockets for the networking.

You can play it online here: http://labs.bp.io/guardian/ but you will need a browser like Chrome 10 for it to work. Instructions/details are on the site.

I haven't tested it under load, so I apologise if it crashes mid game. I've got a daemon set-up to restart the server if this happens, so try it again a bit later if this occurs.

I'd like to thank Nicolas & all the Haxe team for their great work on a great language, and also the community for all the bits and pieces I've learned from. I'm looking forward to the updated JS target. I had no problems using the current one, although I only have a few months javascript experience, and I rarely looked at the translated JS source, it just worked..  :)

Cheers,
Ben

Re: Guardian: Haxe game in JS/Neko

theRemix
you get segfaults when you chase me around with a pistol :P

j/k, good job!

「the.remix」

- woot an orange appeared!

On Jan 10, 2011, at 7:43 PM, eigenbom wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> After coming across Haxe a few months ago, I'm proud to have finished the
> first iteration of a game written almost entirely in Haxe (minus a few
> scripts and doodads). It's a browser-based multiplayer game that uses
> js/Html5 for the client and Neko for the server side. It uses WebSockets for
> the networking.
>
> You can play it online here: http://labs.bp.io/guardian/ but you will need a
> browser like Chrome 10 for it to work. Instructions/details are on the site.
>
> I haven't tested it under load, so I apologise if it crashes mid game. I've
> got a daemon set-up to restart the server if this happens, so try it again a
> bit later if this occurs.
>
> I'd like to thank Nicolas & all the Haxe team for their great work on a
> great language, and also the community for all the bits and pieces I've
> learned from. I'm looking forward to the updated JS target. I had no
> problems using the current one, although I only have a few months javascript
> experience, and I rarely looked at the translated JS source, it just
> worked..  :)
>
> Cheers,
> Ben

Re: Guardian: Haxe game in JS/Neko

eigenbom
the-remix, thanks for playing!

Haha, yes I thought that was funny that it segfaulted just as I shot you.

Haven't had a segfault like that before, I'm scared. I'll have to keep a close eye on the server. :)

Re: Guardian: Haxe game in JS/Neko

Simon Krajewski
  This looks funny... and I think I just shot you. :P

Am 11.01.2011 06:43, schrieb eigenbom:

> Hi all,
>
> After coming across Haxe a few months ago, I'm proud to have finished the
> first iteration of a game written almost entirely in Haxe (minus a few
> scripts and doodads). It's a browser-based multiplayer game that uses
> js/Html5 for the client and Neko for the server side. It uses WebSockets for
> the networking.
>
> You can play it online here: http://labs.bp.io/guardian/ but you will need a
> browser like Chrome 10 for it to work. Instructions/details are on the site.
>
> I haven't tested it under load, so I apologise if it crashes mid game. I've
> got a daemon set-up to restart the server if this happens, so try it again a
> bit later if this occurs.
>
> I'd like to thank Nicolas&  all the Haxe team for their great work on a
> great language, and also the community for all the bits and pieces I've
> learned from. I'm looking forward to the updated JS target. I had no
> problems using the current one, although I only have a few months javascript
> experience, and I rarely looked at the translated JS source, it just
> worked..  :)
>
> Cheers,
> Ben

Re: Guardian: Haxe game in JS/Neko