Getting started with ufront - updated!

cambiata
Hi!

As a Haxe neebie, I have been looking for a web framework to try out while getting into the language. As the Ufront documentation is quite sparse, I've decided to try to contribute in that end. You find the first humble steps at http://haxe.org/com/libs/ufront.

I've urged Franco to shout when there's something wrong, and I hope that you do, too!
Hopefully you'll also find somethings that makes sense.

My plans are to add parts about basic templating using Erazor, and basic RESTlike solutions.
Please edit, add or remove!

Jonas

Re: Getting started with ufront - updated!

tom rhodes
that's fantastic :)

i was looking for a "way in" to start using ufront for a while. i'll go through this and have a play, i have a simple private project i want to use to get started with it so i'll try to help with docs if i can. i can also translate into italian too, although by the look of the haxe google map i'm the only person dabbling with haxe in italy ;)

On 3 November 2011 14:04, cambiata <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi!

As a Haxe neebie, I have been looking for a web framework to try out while
getting into the language. As the Ufront documentation is quite sparse, I've
decided to try to contribute in that end. You find the first humble steps at
http://haxe.org/com/libs/ufront.

I've urged Franco to shout when there's something wrong, and I hope that you
do, too!
Hopefully you'll also find somethings that makes sense.

My plans are to add parts about basic templating using Erazor, and basic
RESTlike solutions.
Please edit, add or remove!

Jonas

Re: Getting started with ufront - updated!

Franco Ponticelli
i can also translate into italian too, although by the look of the haxe google map i'm the only person dabbling with haxe in italy ;)

Are you kidding me, right! ;)

Re: Getting started with ufront - updated!

tom rhodes
well, the only blob on the map in italy is me on the map :)

e ovvio che hai un nome italiano ma non stai in italia vero?

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 2:58 PM, tom rhodes <[hidden email]> wrote:
well, the only blob on the map in italy is me on the map :)

e ovvio che hai un nome italiano ma non stai in italia vero?

Sono di Milano, vivo in Portogallo e domani mi trasferisco in Colorado con la famiglia ;)

Franco

Re: Getting started with ufront - updated!

tom rhodes
aha so you could do some italian docs too! i was massively interested after the haxe con in france in the ufront stuff but haven't had the time to start from the source without any docs. so what jonas has done will be a big help to me, once i've done a few small things with it i'll help with documentation.

(bella per te, buona fortuna col trasloco!)

2011/11/3 Franco Ponticelli <[hidden email]>
On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 2:58 PM, tom rhodes <[hidden email]> wrote:
well, the only blob on the map in italy is me on the map :)

e ovvio che hai un nome italiano ma non stai in italia vero?

Sono di Milano, vivo in Portogallo e domani mi trasferisco in Colorado con la famiglia ;)

Franco

Re: Getting started with ufront - updated!

tom rhodes
Hi,

I went through Jonas' walkthrough on the haxe site and got it all running locally but i did have to do a few things a bit differently in a few places to get it to work.

in FD4 i had to remove thx and erazor from the libraries string in the compiler options or it complained about having two different versions included. the automatic launching of the compiled project doesn't work for me, maybe just because chrome is my default browser. also i can't compile ufront in neko, i get a lot of errors in neko.ufront.web.NekoSession.hx where Strings are expected instead of haxe.io.Bytes. probably not a biggie to work around and i'll see exactly what needs doing later.

@Jonas if you want to update the .htaccess part of the docs here's one that will do what you want...

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /

# this adds trailing slash
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !(.*)/$
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ $1/ [R=301,L]

# this gets rid of index.php
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php/$1

if you don't want to automatically add a trailing slash where one isn't found on the original URI. if you want to use query string stuff prob not a good idea but i found it very frustrating getting 404s in the .addRoutes code if you defined the route with a slash and omitted it in the url. i think it's a bit neater this way rather than doubling the amount of .addRoutes lines.

one last thing, the JsonRequest didn't force my browser to download a file it just displayed the JSON string in the browser, may just be how i have apache set up locally though.

also, Jonas if you want some help getting docs together for ufront i'd be up for it, i'm going to try adding some SPOD stuff to what i've got to get a simple site going today, is that something you've already got going?

cheers,

tom.

On 4 November 2011 16:27, Lars Madson <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Tom!

also i can't compile
ufront in neko,
Sorry, can't comment on that one, I haven't tried to compile to neko at all...

@Jonas if you want to update the .htaccess part of the docs here's one that
will do what you want...
Great!

if you don't want to automatically add a trailing slash where one isn't
found on the original URI. if you want to use query string stuff prob not a
good idea but i found it very frustrating getting 404s in the .addRoutes
code if you defined the route with a slash and omitted it in the url. i
think it's a bit neater this way rather than doubling the amount of
.addRoutes lines.
I will check this one out a little closer.

one last thing, the JsonRequest didn't force my browser to download a file
it just displayed the JSON string in the browser, may just be how i have
apache set up locally though.
Hmm... I took for granted that the header settings would force a download in all cases...

also, Jonas if you want some help getting docs together for ufront i'd be
up for it, i'm going to try adding some SPOD stuff to what i've got to get
a simple site going today, is that something you've already got going?
I haven't touched SPOD more than very lightly, so that would be great!
Go ahead!

Re: Getting started with ufront - updated!

tom rhodes
Hey,

For anyone interested in compiling ufront to neko, here are the changes you need to get it going...

neko.ufront.web.NekoSession.hx

line 168 becomes: var fileData : Bytes;
line 179 becomes: fileData = try neko.io.File.getBytes(file) catch ( e:Dynamic ) null;

the JsonRequest works fine, it's only chrome that displays the json string, IE and FF do the expected download of the file. not really important i suppose as ufront is doing the right thing with the headers.

On 6 November 2011 23:59, cambiata <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Tom!

> also i can't compile
> ufront in neko,

Sorry, can't comment on that one, I haven't tried to compile to neko at
all...

> @Jonas if you want to update the .htaccess part of the docs here's one
> that
> will do what you want...

Great!

> if you don't want to automatically add a trailing slash where one isn't
> found on the original URI. if you want to use query string stuff prob not
> good idea but i found it very frustrating getting 404s in the .addRoutes
> code if you defined the route with a slash and omitted it in the url. i
> think it's a bit neater this way rather than doubling the amount of
> .addRoutes lines.

I will check this one out a little closer.

> one last thing, the JsonRequest didn't force my browser to download a file
> it just displayed the JSON string in the browser, may just be how i have
> apache set up locally though.

Hmm... I took for granted that the header settings would force a download in
all cases...

> also, Jonas if you want some help getting docs together for ufront i'd be
> up for it, i'm going to try adding some SPOD stuff to what i've got to get
> a simple site going today, is that something you've already got going?

I haven't touched SPOD more than very lightly, so that would be great!
Go ahead!

Re: Getting started with ufront - updated!

Franco Ponticelli
I've applied your fix to the mercurial repo on google code.

Thank you,

Franco

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 1:57 AM, tom rhodes <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey,

For anyone interested in compiling ufront to neko, here are the changes you need to get it going...

neko.ufront.web.NekoSession.hx

line 168 becomes: var fileData : Bytes;
line 179 becomes: fileData = try neko.io.File.getBytes(file) catch ( e:Dynamic ) null;

the JsonRequest works fine, it's only chrome that displays the json string, IE and FF do the expected download of the file. not really important i suppose as ufront is doing the right thing with the headers.

On 6 November 2011 23:59, cambiata <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Tom!

> also i can't compile
> ufront in neko,

Sorry, can't comment on that one, I haven't tried to compile to neko at
all...

> @Jonas if you want to update the .htaccess part of the docs here's one
> that
> will do what you want...

Great!

> if you don't want to automatically add a trailing slash where one isn't
> found on the original URI. if you want to use query string stuff prob not
> good idea but i found it very frustrating getting 404s in the .addRoutes
> code if you defined the route with a slash and omitted it in the url. i
> think it's a bit neater this way rather than doubling the amount of
> .addRoutes lines.

I will check this one out a little closer.

> one last thing, the JsonRequest didn't force my browser to download a file
> it just displayed the JSON string in the browser, may just be how i have
> apache set up locally though.

Hmm... I took for granted that the header settings would force a download in
all cases...

> also, Jonas if you want some help getting docs together for ufront i'd be
> up for it, i'm going to try adding some SPOD stuff to what i've got to get
> a simple site going today, is that something you've already got going?

I haven't touched SPOD more than very lightly, so that would be great!
Go ahead!

Re: Getting started with ufront - updated!

tom rhodes
hey great, does that mean i've contributed something to the haxe community? ;)

awesome...

On 10 November 2011 22:05, Franco Ponticelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've applied your fix to the mercurial repo on google code.

Thank you,

Franco

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 1:57 AM, tom rhodes <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey,

For anyone interested in compiling ufront to neko, here are the changes you need to get it going...

neko.ufront.web.NekoSession.hx

line 168 becomes: var fileData : Bytes;
line 179 becomes: fileData = try neko.io.File.getBytes(file) catch ( e:Dynamic ) null;

the JsonRequest works fine, it's only chrome that displays the json string, IE and FF do the expected download of the file. not really important i suppose as ufront is doing the right thing with the headers.

On 6 November 2011 23:59, cambiata <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Tom!

> also i can't compile
> ufront in neko,

Sorry, can't comment on that one, I haven't tried to compile to neko at
all...

> @Jonas if you want to update the .htaccess part of the docs here's one
> that
> will do what you want...

Great!

> if you don't want to automatically add a trailing slash where one isn't
> found on the original URI. if you want to use query string stuff prob not
> good idea but i found it very frustrating getting 404s in the .addRoutes
> code if you defined the route with a slash and omitted it in the url. i
> think it's a bit neater this way rather than doubling the amount of
> .addRoutes lines.

I will check this one out a little closer.

> one last thing, the JsonRequest didn't force my browser to download a file
> it just displayed the JSON string in the browser, may just be how i have
> apache set up locally though.

Hmm... I took for granted that the header settings would force a download in
all cases...

> also, Jonas if you want some help getting docs together for ufront i'd be
> up for it, i'm going to try adding some SPOD stuff to what i've got to get
> a simple site going today, is that something you've already got going?

I haven't touched SPOD more than very lightly, so that would be great!
Go ahead!

Re: Getting started with ufront - updated!

Franco Ponticelli
Of course ... but you can always give more ;) ... and by the way I am sorry I've not cited your name in the patch, I always do that ... this time I just forgot :(

Franco

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 4:59 AM, tom rhodes <[hidden email]> wrote:
hey great, does that mean i've contributed something to the haxe community? ;)

awesome...

On 10 November 2011 22:05, Franco Ponticelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've applied your fix to the mercurial repo on google code.

Thank you,

Franco

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 1:57 AM, tom rhodes <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey,

For anyone interested in compiling ufront to neko, here are the changes you need to get it going...

neko.ufront.web.NekoSession.hx

line 168 becomes: var fileData : Bytes;
line 179 becomes: fileData = try neko.io.File.getBytes(file) catch ( e:Dynamic ) null;

the JsonRequest works fine, it's only chrome that displays the json string, IE and FF do the expected download of the file. not really important i suppose as ufront is doing the right thing with the headers.

On 6 November 2011 23:59, cambiata <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Tom!

> also i can't compile
> ufront in neko,

Sorry, can't comment on that one, I haven't tried to compile to neko at
all...

> @Jonas if you want to update the .htaccess part of the docs here's one
> that
> will do what you want...

Great!

> if you don't want to automatically add a trailing slash where one isn't
> found on the original URI. if you want to use query string stuff prob not
> good idea but i found it very frustrating getting 404s in the .addRoutes
> code if you defined the route with a slash and omitted it in the url. i
> think it's a bit neater this way rather than doubling the amount of
> .addRoutes lines.

I will check this one out a little closer.

> one last thing, the JsonRequest didn't force my browser to download a file
> it just displayed the JSON string in the browser, may just be how i have
> apache set up locally though.

Hmm... I took for granted that the header settings would force a download in
all cases...

> also, Jonas if you want some help getting docs together for ufront i'd be
> up for it, i'm going to try adding some SPOD stuff to what i've got to get
> a simple site going today, is that something you've already got going?

I haven't touched SPOD more than very lightly, so that would be great!
Go ahead!

Re: Getting started with ufront - updated!

tom rhodes
eheh, no name required. i'm planning on giving more man, hopefully sooner rather than later :)

On 11 November 2011 16:17, Franco Ponticelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
Of course ... but you can always give more ;) ... and by the way I am sorry I've not cited your name in the patch, I always do that ... this time I just forgot :(

Franco

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 4:59 AM, tom rhodes <[hidden email]> wrote:
hey great, does that mean i've contributed something to the haxe community? ;)

awesome...

On 10 November 2011 22:05, Franco Ponticelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've applied your fix to the mercurial repo on google code.

Thank you,

Franco

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 1:57 AM, tom rhodes <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey,

For anyone interested in compiling ufront to neko, here are the changes you need to get it going...

neko.ufront.web.NekoSession.hx

line 168 becomes: var fileData : Bytes;
line 179 becomes: fileData = try neko.io.File.getBytes(file) catch ( e:Dynamic ) null;

the JsonRequest works fine, it's only chrome that displays the json string, IE and FF do the expected download of the file. not really important i suppose as ufront is doing the right thing with the headers.

On 6 November 2011 23:59, cambiata <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Tom!

> also i can't compile
> ufront in neko,

Sorry, can't comment on that one, I haven't tried to compile to neko at
all...

> @Jonas if you want to update the .htaccess part of the docs here's one
> that
> will do what you want...