Flash Player on Chrome and new API for plugins

Flash Player on Chrome and new API for plugins

Juan Delgado
Hi there,

Guess you've probably heard already and if not, you will. Adobe and
Google have teamed up to bundle the Flash Player with Chrome. Need to
double check, but I suppose that would be in Chrome not in Chromium
(100% open source version).

Not sure what that means for projects like SWHX which always have had
the problem of not being able to bundle the player with it. If we
could redistribute Chrome's installer, we would get the player for
free.

Also, Google + Adobe + Mozilla want to develop a new API for plugins.
You can read the tech bits here:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Plugins:PlatformIndependentNPAPI

Need to carefully read it, but there is a bit at the end that almost
made me crap my pants:

"The theming API allows a plugin to draw native controls in its 2D
context [...] For now, only scrollbars are in the API. "

If that means that plugins would be able to use *native* components
then my prayers have been listened to!

Interesting times ahead!

Juan Delgado - Zárate
http://zarate.tv
http://blog.zarate.tv

Re: Flash Player on Chrome and new API for plugins

Benjamin Dasnois
Don't know what all of that exactly means but regarding your last
point, it just talks about "theming", which is not exactly like "using
native controls". They may behave a bit differently.

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 10:20 AM, Juan Delgado <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Guess you've probably heard already and if not, you will. Adobe and
> Google have teamed up to bundle the Flash Player with Chrome. Need to
> double check, but I suppose that would be in Chrome not in Chromium
> (100% open source version).
>
> Not sure what that means for projects like SWHX which always have had
> the problem of not being able to bundle the player with it. If we
> could redistribute Chrome's installer, we would get the player for
> free.
>
> Also, Google + Adobe + Mozilla want to develop a new API for plugins.
> You can read the tech bits here:
>
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Plugins:PlatformIndependentNPAPI
>
> Need to carefully read it, but there is a bit at the end that almost
> made me crap my pants:
>
> "The theming API allows a plugin to draw native controls in its 2D
> context [...] For now, only scrollbars are in the API. "
>
> If that means that plugins would be able to use *native* components
> then my prayers have been listened to!
>
> Interesting times ahead!

> Juan Delgado - Zárate
> http://zarate.tv