FYI: multitarget compiling, solution for distibution on mac

FYI: multitarget compiling, solution for distibution on mac

interaction-designer
Hi all,

The latest beta of VirtualBox (version 3.0.2 BETA1) has the possibility to run in all hosts macOSX as guest OS. Supporting not only 64 bit (10.6) but also 32bit (10.5.x). It's still a beta, but it runs stable enough for my taste.

Other VM's don't support this precise functionality (at least not with some dirty, ugly time consuming hacks). I find it running pretty stable, but I don't know if Apple lets Oracle getting away with the possibility to run MacOS-X as a guest os on a Linux or Windows host. Running the server versions of 10.5 and 10.6 was possible with VMware Fusion (but limited only on Mac OSX as host os and a mac machine), and again with some less optimal hacks also on VMware on other host osses and other machines.

So let's hope this functionality gets in nearest future stable release of VirtualBox as well.

What automated tools you use to pack your stuff in DMG's?

Regards, Simon

Re: FYI: multitarget compiling, solution for distibution on mac

Nicolas Cannasse
[hidden email] a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> The latest beta of VirtualBox (version 3.0.2 BETA1) has the possibility to run in all hosts macOSX as guest OS. Supporting not only 64 bit (10.6) but also 32bit (10.5.x). It's still a beta, but it runs stable enough for my taste.
>
> Other VM's don't support this precise functionality (at least not with some dirty, ugly time consuming hacks). I find it running pretty stable, but I don't know if Apple lets Oracle getting away with the possibility to run MacOS-X as a guest os on a Linux or Windows host. Running the server versions of 10.5 and 10.6 was possible with VMware Fusion (but limited only on Mac OSX as host os and a mac machine), and again with some less optimal hacks also on VMware on other host osses and other machines.

VB 3.2.0 released a few days ago have the following changelog :

"On Apple hardware only, support for creating virtual machines running
Mac OS X Server"

OSX Server is the only one allowed for virtualisation by Apple, and only
on Apple hardware.

Were you able to run OSX guest on a classic PC hardware ?

> What automated tools you use to pack your stuff in DMG's?

You can rename an .iso to .dmg, although there will be no compression.