FDT5 and HaXe

kubson
I've just downloaded new FDT5 Free and played it a little to check how it works with HaXe. It seems to be very disappointing. I checked autocompletion first and really don't understand how it works.
Sometimes it provides all possible methods and variable, sometimes just no proposal.
When I import something and start "import flash.L" and then press Enter that adds too much lines. Something like that:
import Lib
import flash.Lib;

Then, when I type "Lib." I get hundreds of methods and variables as suggestions. Then I can find current and select it by pressing Enter, but if I start typing and have "Lib.c" and then press Control + Space I get "No Proposal".

Am I missing something with configuration, or it is all what FDT can offer?

Re: FDT5 and HaXe

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
I'm having the same problems. I've been telling people (no Mac) to wait for FDT 5, and they can then start pushing haxe (especially for agencies) but this just won't work.

I've had exactly the same problems as listed above, on both Mac and Windows (32bit Windows, 64bit Mac).

Other than the above, it's insanely slow as well! There are even things such as you start typing "public" and it comes up with help for "Public" which means by default you get the wrong completion for that as well.

Also, the errors are too greedy. You make a constructor and it complains right away that you're missing "super()".

Imports are also not automatically done. So if I extend "MovieClip" it simply is useless and have to do the import myself.

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 7:57 AM, kubson <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've just downloaded new FDT5 Free and played it a little to check how it
works with HaXe. It seems to be very disappointing. I checked autocompletion
first and really don't understand how it works.
Sometimes it provides all possible methods and variable, sometimes just no
proposal.
When I import something and start "import flash.L" and then press Enter that
adds too much lines. Something like that:
import Lib
import flash.Lib;

Then, when I type "Lib." I get hundreds of methods and variables as
suggestions. Then I can find current and select it by pressing Enter, but if
I start typing and have "Lib.c" and then press Control + Space I get "No
Proposal".

Am I missing something with configuration, or it is all what FDT can offer?

Re: FDT5 and HaXe

Matthew Spencer-2
I've got a sublimetext plugin sitting at bout 60% to milestone one. Will try to release ASAP if people are interested.

Re: FDT5 and HaXe

clemos
Hi Matthew

I'd love to test your SublimeText plugin :)

Cheers,
Clément

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 7:39 AM, Matthew Spencer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've got a sublimetext plugin sitting at bout 60% to milestone one. Will try
> to release ASAP if people are interested.

Re: FDT5 and HaXe

blackdog
On 10/26/2011 05:57 PM, kubson wrote:

> I've just downloaded new FDT5 Free and played it a little to check how it
> works with HaXe. It seems to be very disappointing. I checked autocompletion
> first and really don't understand how it works.
> Sometimes it provides all possible methods and variable, sometimes just no
> proposal.
> When I import something and start "import flash.L" and then press Enter that
> adds too much lines. Something like that:
> import Lib
> import flash.Lib;
>
> Then, when I type "Lib." I get hundreds of methods and variables as
> suggestions. Then I can find current and select it by pressing Enter, but if
> I start typing and have "Lib.c" and then press Control + Space I get "No
> Proposal".
>
> Am I missing something with configuration, or it is all what FDT can offer?

the warning sign to everyone should be why a 200mb (plugin or does that
include eclipse??) download is required to parse haxe compiler xml
output? trying it out during beta made me pinch myself and write an
emacs code completion for haxe in 100 lines or so.

--
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~ Leonardo da Vinci

Re: FDT5 and HaXe

Fei Yin
Could we just develop a new IDE for haXe using haXe ?

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 2:46 PM, clemos <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Matthew

I'd love to test your SublimeText plugin :)

Cheers,
Clément

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 7:39 AM, Matthew Spencer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've got a sublimetext plugin sitting at bout 60% to milestone one. Will try
> to release ASAP if people are interested.

Yin Fei
>From Icebirds.net

Re: FDT5 and HaXe

sledorze
I'm so sorry for the FDT guys.. really; I think Eclipse is the worst choice one could do as a IDE framework.
We've seen failures after failures in the Scala community with the Eclipse plugin.
It took an incredible amount of man years effort to *just* get something not looking completely unusable..

Re: FDT5 and HaXe

fintan boyle
well I've ended up upgrading to FDT5 Max and it is worth using FDT for the Actionscript support alone.  I've been doing more actionscript work lately and I am starting to enjoy using FDT5 for this.  I work solely on Mac now and am disappointed with the haXe support but hopefully this will improve.  If haXe support was comparable to Actionscript support then FDT would be brilliant - not there yet though.

Fintan

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 10:35 AM, Tarwin Stroh-Spijer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yeah, another shout out to the FDT people for giving it a try. I really WANTED it to work - I hope they can get it going sometime, because they're really trying and really want to push haxe - so I'd love to behind them.

phone: <a href="tel:%2B61%203%208060%205321" value="+61380605321" target="_blank">+61 3 8060 5321
_______________________

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 8:22 PM, sledorze <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm so sorry for the FDT guys.. really; I think Eclipse is the worst choice
one could do as a IDE framework.
We've seen failures after failures in the Scala community with the Eclipse
plugin.
It took an incredible amount of man years effort to *just* get something not
looking completely unusable..

Re: FDT5 and HaXe

Michael Cann
Writing your IDE is certainty not for the feint of heart, but I really like the idea of writing it in haXe for haXe :)

On 27 October 2011 10:35, Tarwin Stroh-Spijer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yeah, another shout out to the FDT people for giving it a try. I really WANTED it to work - I hope they can get it going sometime, because they're really trying and really want to push haxe - so I'd love to behind them.

phone: <a href="tel:%2B61%203%208060%205321" value="+61380605321" target="_blank">+61 3 8060 5321
_______________________

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 8:22 PM, sledorze <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm so sorry for the FDT guys.. really; I think Eclipse is the worst choice
one could do as a IDE framework.
We've seen failures after failures in the Scala community with the Eclipse
plugin.
It took an incredible amount of man years effort to *just* get something not
looking completely unusable..

Mike Cann
http://www.mikecann.co.uk/

Re: FDT5 and HaXe

jboadas
I was thinking on writing an Ide for Haxe using waxe

http://code.google.com/p/waxe/

I never write a Ide before but, I could make a try

--
Jesus Boadas

Re: FDT5 and HaXe

jboadas
Also CodeBlocks was build using wxWidgets, I was planning an IDE like the Purebasic Ide (any ideas ?) for Haxe but this is not for tomorrow Im still getting the first grasps on Haxe.

maybe we can make a team, its easy if more people get involved.
--
Jesus Boadas

Re: FDT5 and HaXe

Lee Sylvester

If you have PureBasic, I’ve written nPure, which is a Neko layer for writing PureBasic apps to work with haXe/Neko.  You could always use nPure to write a PB ndll which contains the Scintilla control (and others), then write a haXe app which utilises it as an IDE.

Lee

Re: FDT5 and HaXe

jboadas
Sorry I dont own PureBasic myself just play around with the trial version and found the IDE amazing. The IDE itself its usefull, fast, small, very good autocomplete and help system (all you need in one place) with statusbar codehints.
And just want to see someting like that to haxe.

Very thanks

--
Jesus Boadas

Re: FDT5 and HaXe

Maybe everyone has heard this already, but I was a full-time Linux user
for about 5 months, until I got "another taste" of FlashDevelop and
literally switched back to Windows full-time because I love it so much.
FlashDevelop has long been my favorite IDE -- likely for any language.

When I was on Linux I was working with gedit, but entertaining plans of
creating a better native solution.

If something was done using Mono, components (like code-completion, etc)
might be ported (or shared) with FlashDevelop, since Mono supports C#
(generally). MonoDevelop is also a pretty nice IDE, so the ideas bounced
between adding haxe support to MonoDevelop, or creating a new editor with
controls, components or code pulled from MonoDevelop where appropriate.

I'm curious how other people feel about this?

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 02:49:00 -0700, fintan boyle <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> well I've ended up upgrading to FDT5 Max and it is worth using FDT for
> the
> Actionscript support alone.  I've been doing more actionscript work
> lately
> and I am starting to enjoy using FDT5 for this.  I work solely on Mac now
> and am disappointed with the haXe support but hopefully this will
> improve.
> If haXe support was comparable to Actionscript support then FDT would be
> brilliant - not there yet though.
>
> Fintan
>
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 10:35 AM, Tarwin Stroh-Spijer <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Yeah, another shout out to the FDT people for giving it a try. I really
>> WANTED it to work - I hope they can get it going sometime, because
>> they're
>> really trying and really want to push haxe - so I'd love to behind them.
>>
>> Regards,
>>

>> Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
>> _______________________
>>
>> Touch My Pixel
>> http://www.touchmypixel.com/
>> phone: +61 3 8060 5321
>> _______________________
>>

>> On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 8:22 PM, sledorze
>> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>>
>>> I'm so sorry for the FDT guys.. really; I think Eclipse is the worst
>>> choice
>>> one could do as a IDE framework.
>>> We've seen failures after failures in the Scala community with the
>>> Eclipse
>>> plugin.
>>> It took an incredible amount of man years effort to *just* get
>>> something
>>> not
>>> looking completely unusable..

Re: FDT5 and HaXe

Daniel Uranga
A multiplatform open source solution with the level of quality of FlashDevelop would be awesome. I think that a MonoDevelop plugin could do that.
An eclipse plugin would be cool, but it seems to hard to do (neither FDT nor eclihx can compete with FlashDevelop).

Re: FDT5 and Haxe

Elsass Philippe
I'm a bit disappointed to hear people are disappointed by FDT5's haxe support
- I sincerely hope they will improve that because then it may get traction in "serious shops".

I don't want to bring down all this motivation about creating a new IDE, but...
- bringing together CoreMirror (very impressive BTW) + haxe compiler's --display + a little bit of project management would be very reasonable (and fun) project,
- then adding all the other features that one will expect from an IDE is a hell of a lot of work: find/replace in files, templates/config, debugging, refactoring, etc.

Which means I gladly welcome projects based on existing editors/IDEs: gedit, SublimeText (I'm a fan), MonoDevelop (C# so could reuse some FD code), TextMate, vim, etc.

BTW @Nicolas you could help by providing:
- some "--find-declaration" switch which would return member meta infos (type, declaration file/position) to easily enable jump-to-declaration features in editors,
- what about "--find-uses" which would return all the locations where the element is used (think refactoring)?
- documentation in completion (pretty please).