FDT + haXe

Simon Richardson
Hi all,

It seems like FDT is fast moving on developing haXe for FDT. It will be good to see more editors in the field and the move to haXe will be greatly increased. They've joined the cultural revolution on twitter ;-) https://twitter.com/FDThaXe

si

Re: FDT + haXe

Nicolas Cannasse
Simon Richardson a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> It seems like FDT is fast moving on developing haXe for FDT. It will be good to see more editors in the field and the move to haXe will be greatly increased. They've joined the cultural revolution on twitter ;-) https://twitter.com/FDThaXe

In case you missed it, the alpha version is now publicly available
See http://fdt.powerflasher.com/blog/?p=2233

Re: FDT + haXe

John A. De Goes

This is great news! I'll be buying a pack of licenses for sure when it goes public (assuming no major bugs in their support).

Regards,

John

On Jul 22, 2010, at 1:21 PM, Nicolas Cannasse wrote:

> Simon Richardson a écrit :
>> Hi all, It seems like FDT is fast moving on developing haXe for FDT. It will be good to see more editors in the field and the move to haXe will be greatly increased. They've joined the cultural revolution on twitter ;-) https://twitter.com/FDThaXe
>
> In case you missed it, the alpha version is now publicly available
> See http://fdt.powerflasher.com/blog/?p=2233
>
> Best,

Re: FDT + haXe

Nicolas Cannasse wrote:

> Simon Richardson a écrit :
>> Hi all,
>> It seems like FDT is fast moving on developing haXe for FDT. It will
>> be good to see more editors in the field and the move to haXe will be
>> greatly increased. They've joined the cultural revolution on twitter
>> ;-) https://twitter.com/FDThaXe
>
> In case you missed it, the alpha version is now publicly available
> See http://fdt.powerflasher.com/blog/?p=2233
>
> Best,
> Nicolas

I've already installed it earlier today. It's bloody good. Has a couple
of area's that yet need to be developed, but it is only an alpha build.
I think this will certainly get some big boys using haXe, for sure.

Re: FDT + haXe

Are there advantages to use FDT over FlashDevelop, other than
cross-platform support?

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 12:21:10 -0700, Nicolas Cannasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Simon Richardson a écrit :
>> Hi all,  It seems like FDT is fast moving on developing haXe for FDT.
>> It will be good to see more editors in the field and the move to haXe
>> will be greatly increased. They've joined the cultural revolution on
>> twitter ;-) https://twitter.com/FDThaXe
>
> In case you missed it, the alpha version is now publicly available
> See http://fdt.powerflasher.com/blog/?p=2233
>
> Best,

Joshua Granick
Owner / Lead Developer
[ eclecticdesignstudio ]
P: (916) 889-7306

Re: FDT + haXe

Lee McColl Sylvester a écrit :

> Nicolas Cannasse wrote:
>> Simon Richardson a écrit :
>>> Hi all,
>>> It seems like FDT is fast moving on developing haXe for FDT. It will
>>> be good to see more editors in the field and the move to haXe will be
>>> greatly increased. They've joined the cultural revolution on twitter
>>> ;-) https://twitter.com/FDThaXe
>>
>> In case you missed it, the alpha version is now publicly available
>> See http://fdt.powerflasher.com/blog/?p=2233
>>
>> Best,
>> Nicolas
>>
> I've already installed it earlier today. It's bloody good. Has a couple
> of area's that yet need to be developed, but it is only an alpha build.
> I think this will certainly get some big boys using haXe, for sure.

Make sure to give proper feedback to FDT about the things you'ld like to
be improved.

Re: FDT + haXe

Yeah, I've been doing that all along. I offered my testing skills to
them weeks ago, though have only been able to provide test projects for
them to work with til today. I've only managed to get my hands on this
earlier today, same as everyone else, but I've been sure to post any
bugs I've found on their Jira website. It's an open account, so all are
welcome to post their findings. The URL is :-

http://bugs.powerflasher.com/jira/browse/FTDHXPLIN

So far, 50% of the bugs I posted were an oversight. I simply didn't read
the steps properly ;-)

Lee

Nicolas Cannasse wrote:

> Lee McColl Sylvester a écrit :
>> Nicolas Cannasse wrote:
>>>
>>> In case you missed it, the alpha version is now publicly available
>>> See http://fdt.powerflasher.com/blog/?p=2233
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Nicolas
>>>
>> I've already installed it earlier today. It's bloody good. Has a
>> couple of area's that yet need to be developed, but it is only an
>> alpha build. I think this will certainly get some big boys using
>> haXe, for sure.
>
> Make sure to give proper feedback to FDT about the things you'ld like
> to be improved.

Re: FDT + haXe

MarcWeber
Excerpts from Joshua Granick's message of Thu Jul 22 21:43:46 +0200 2010:
> Are there advantages to use FDT over FlashDevelop, other than
> cross-platform support?

It has vi key bindings because I guess that you can install viPlugin.

According to
http://mrdoob.com/blog/post/584
you can make it run on Linux.

Marc Weber

Re: FDT + haXe

I'm confused, though ... :)

Is FDT + haXe better than FlashDevelop, because you guys are using OS X or
Linux, or is there a compelling reason why PC users should invest $500 to
buy FDT instead of FlashDevelop? :)

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 12:46:24 -0700, Cauê Waneck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't believe it! Wooohooo!!!
>
> Now I'm going to be 500 dollars poorer. Oh well! : )
>
> 2010/7/22 Lee McColl Sylvester <[hidden email]>
>
>> Nicolas Cannasse wrote:

>>> In case you missed it, the alpha version is now publicly available
>>> See http://fdt.powerflasher.com/blog/?p=2233
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Nicolas
>>>
>>>  I've already installed it earlier today. It's bloody good. Has a
>>> couple
>> of area's that yet need to be developed, but it is only an alpha build.
>> think this will certainly get some big boys using haXe, for sure.
>>
>> Lee

Joshua Granick
Owner / Lead Developer
[ eclecticdesignstudio ]
P: (916) 889-7306

Re: FDT + haXe

Lee Sylvester
FDT is much better in the enterprise. It's great for teams and has a lot
more features (though it is still alpha, so don't base all your
preconceptions on it just yet). If you can't afford $500, then
FlashDevelop is perfectly good. If you want more professional features
or you're working in a team environment, then try FDT.

Lee

Joshua Granick wrote:

> I'm confused, though ... :)
>
> Is FDT + haXe better than FlashDevelop, because you guys are using OS
> X or Linux, or is there a compelling reason why PC users should invest
> $500 to buy FDT instead of FlashDevelop? :)
>

> On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 12:46:24 -0700, Cauê Waneck <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I don't believe it! Wooohooo!!!
>>
>> Now I'm going to be 500 dollars poorer. Oh well! : )

>>> of area's that yet need to be developed, but it is only an alpha
>>> build. I
>>> think this will certainly get some big boys using haXe, for sure.
>>>
>>> Lee

Re: FDT + haXe

MarcWeber
Excerpts from Joshua Granick's message of Thu Jul 22 22:02:31 +0200 2010:
> I'm confused, though ... :)
>
> Is FDT + haXe better than FlashDevelop, because you guys are using OS X or
> Linux, or is there a compelling reason why PC users should invest $500 to
> buy FDT instead of FlashDevelop? :)

I'm using Vim. Can't afford those $500 at the moment. I'd be interested
in it because it also support Flash. There is no IDE on Linux supporting
Flash. If they going to add refactoring features it may make a
difference for some use cases.

Marc Weber

Re: FDT + haXe

Lee Sylvester
Marc Weber wrote:

> Excerpts from Joshua Granick's message of Thu Jul 22 22:02:31 +0200 2010:
>
>> I'm confused, though ... :)
>>
>> Is FDT + haXe better than FlashDevelop, because you guys are using OS X or
>> Linux, or is there a compelling reason why PC users should invest $500 to
>> buy FDT instead of FlashDevelop? :)
>>

> I'm using Vim. Can't afford those $500 at the moment. I'd be interested
> in it because it also support Flash. There is no IDE on Linux supporting
> Flash. If they going to add refactoring features it may make a
> difference for some use cases.
>
> Marc Weber

Hey Marc,

It has refactoring features, in the Enterprise edition.

Re: FDT + haXe

FlashDevelop supports refactoring, debugging and profiling, but I suppose
it doesn't support as many plugins, since Eclipse is more universal
(versioning plugins, etc)

--
Joshua Granick
Owner / Lead Developer

Re: FDT + haXe

Hudson Ansley
Yeah, refactoring is a better supported in FDT than FlashDevelop.
IMO, a really big advantage of FD over FDT is it is so much more light
weight. Waiting for eclipse to load up can get old...

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 4:14 PM, Lee McColl Sylvester
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> It has refactoring features, in the Enterprise edition.

Re: FDT + haXe

wvxvw
I think the more IDEs support HaXe the better. And I also think that the choice of IDE is very personal.
I've just recently had another try of FDT, and realized how much I depend on small features that FD has :)
Besides, FD is used in companies who do large scale projects and to be honest, I don't see how FDT is better or worse in this regard. I'm using Flash Builder on Linux for my projects (the one from here: http://code.google.com/p/fb4linux/ ). And it's an OK tool. But I had to work around some silly things in design (life is no walk in the park *sigh*).
So, if I was to answer what are the benefits - if you are looking for an IDE that you don't have to configure, and that may have more options out of the box, and you are not into modifying it in any way, just use it off the shelf, - FDT is a better choice. But, once you have to do something that is not what other people do with their IDE 90% of the time, you'd face all the *benefits* of Eclipse ideology - stupid / wrong validation preventing you from submitting some data, drop down boxes instead of text inputs, where you cannot just type what you want, you need to select from options and none of them fits, and so on...
Example, first thing that happened to me when I wanted to create a project in FDT - it has a list of project templates, where none even remotely fits what I wanted to do... I had to find some hacky way to feed it the SDK I actually wanted to use, it didn't have file templates. Templates and snippets are not so good as in FD... Code completition is arguably worse for plain AS3, but is better for MXML and some things you'd not need all that often (E4X completion for example). One thing that I felt some nuisance about was the "Java enterprise" style of templates... I mean K&R is just plain disgusting (while it's configurable in FD). :)
Another thing that put me off is the code quality in tutorials, it is even worse then of the Flex framework, don't know about you, but it makes a negative impression for me, and it is difficult to convince myself that it is just the stupid example, which doesn't mean anything. When I see such code, I start thinking in a way "if they put this in tutorial, how does this look under the cover?".
I really really dislike Subclipse, this is the worst client to Subversion ever on Earth, so, integration with versioning system for me in any Eclipse plugin is zero, I'd rather do it from command line... As the nature of my job I most often need to jump between projects, open a single file, make a quick example and so on - I just cannot wait for Eclipse to start, I'd rather open it in gedit / VIM. But, if normally, when you work you just keep one project open all the time and have to launch the editor only once a day that's not a problem of course :)
Finally, it's more like the choice between Opera and Firefox. Opera has dragonfly built-in, you need firebug for FF :) I just don't like Opera because I don't like this kind of approach to programs in general, but I don't think it makes it a bad browser.
Sorry if that sounded like anti-FDT, I'm not really... I think it's a good thing, just not for me.

Best.

Oleg

Re: FDT + haXe

Elsass Philippe
No question FDT is going to bring a lot of new coders to haXe, and
this is a good thing!

It hits me how natural this new direction is: FDT the king of AS3
editors but it needs new markets to grow while other commercial AS3
IDEs are becoming ferocious. And haXe opens FDT to non-Flash
development targets which have all the attention nowadays.

Well, I'm going back to my little FlashDevelop project now if you
don't mind - I have some small team, non-enterprise-y stuff to do
which don't require ant/maven weaponry ;)

Re: FDT + haXe

That makes sense.

Yeah, I understand that people have different preferences when it comes to
code editors.

Using your analogy, I might argue the opposite on your Opera/Firefox
example. I would probably say that Firefox is more like Eclipse in this
regard, and Opera is more like FlashDevelop.

FlashDevelop is fast and lightweight. It has a lot of features, but
they're tucked away instead of being "in your face", like some editors.
It's only after you use it for some time that you begin to appreciate the
wealth of resources which are available. Many times I have found myself
wishing I could do something with FlashDevelop, only later to discover it
was already there in the options.

Alternatively, my experiences with Eclipse have felt heavy, and sure,
there are many plugins available, but some of my worst open-source
experiences have been with trying to work with Eclipse. Slow, complicated,
"feature rich", but not practical for me.

I've found Opera to also be fast and lightweight. The latest builds
(unless Google has caught up) is actually notably faster than Chrome, yet
it has many features packed in there. It isn't immediately obvious, but it
has mouse gestures, ad blocking, text-to-speech, spell checking, torrents,
email, IRC ... it even lets you stream audio, video and photos onto the
internet through your browser. But its still fast.

Firefox on the other hand is configurable, and has many plugins available.
Ironically, people compare the speed of Firefox with no plugins to other
browsers without plugins, when I don't know anyone who uses Firefox
without them. After you install all of the plugins you need to make it
work for you, it might not run quite as fast, but even so, Opera is faster
than Firefox before Firefox has the plugins.

I'm not trying to start a flame war, here, so I do apologize if anything
I'm saying is incendiary! I'd absolutely switch over to FDT if there was a
compelling reason to, but in the past it felt like a step backward, for
much more money, so I wanted to get a feel for whether I was overlooking
something. I totally understand the user preference thing.

... and I'm not saying Firefox is a bad browser. Its a preference thing.
Maybe Firefox performs better in Linux than on Windows? It's never felt as
snappy to me, and I've grown to love all of Opera's great features. Yeah,
I can't install a plugin for handling FTP, but I have FileZilla for that.
As Dragonfly has grown, I've also come to really prefer it over Firebug.
Dragonfly is actually an HTML5 app, which doesn't affect the performance
of the browser while it isn't open. It used to download when it first
opened, but now its using an HTML5 database to keep everything local and
fast.

I can also definitely see how people would like Eclipse if they're writing
Flash in addition to Java or other languages they've got all set up in
Eclipse. I guess I've come to love FlashDevelop so much, I come at it from
the other side. I love FlashDevelop as my main IDE, so I use it even when
I'm writing HTML, Javascript, CSS, PHP, or even C++ so far. It has
highlighting for Javascript, for example, but I know if I was using
Eclipse I would get code completion for the Palm Javascript libraries I
reference. Ah well.

--
Joshua Granick
Owner / Lead Developer

Re: FDT + haXe

I have added it to the editor Page, since it's cross platform and
likely to be feature rich, I put it above the FlashDevelop entry as I
am guessing it's something new that may bring new haXe adoption, and a
lot more people visit haXe site than read the mailing list.   I also
added the E-texteditor in with the textmate entry since they are
almost the same editor for different platforms so it seems sensible to
link them.

Maybe someone at FDT could add more info on the fdt page I have just
created...

http://haxe.org/com/ide/fdt