[EVANGELISM CALL] Demo material for evangelism talk on 11/16

[EVANGELISM CALL] Demo material for evangelism talk on 11/16

sventunus
Dear haXe fellas,

I'll be doing a haXe evangelism talk on November 16th in Antwerp, Belgium for the local Adobe User Group.
Besides from the fact that it is fun to be naughty to talk about a "competing platform" at an official Adobe event, I really want to grab this opportunity to show off what haXe is capable of to this particular crowd.

Of course I'm not asking you to write my presentation for me, but if you have some nice code or cases that you will allow me to present, I'd be very grateful! If you have some material for me that I'm allowed to use, and that shows off some of the powers haXe has to offer, it would be really awesome if you'd ping me on that!
Up until now my preso contains a sexy intro to capture the crowd's interest, a short overview of the language and it's history, some simple code demos to illustrate compiler targets and a simple game that compiles to SWF, AIR, iOS and Android to make that previous point more concrete.

I'm looking in particular for cases that illustrate:
*haXe to Java
*haXe to JS
*haXe to PHP
*multi-platform haXe games

Please help me demonstrate what haXe can do!
Whatever you send me that I'll use will of course wear you credits and I'll send you a copy of the preso before I present it so you can confirm your consent to using your material.

The intro by the way is a Flash-movie with some graphics to accompany a reworked version of "Can't touch this" by MC Hammer with these lyrics:
"my my my my previous codebase, so large
makes me say, Oh my Lord
thank you, for blessing me
with this great thing called H-A-X-E

see how I'm coding, it's cool
compile to any target makes developers drool
I'm here to teach you, that's fine
enough for now STOP! coding time"

:-)

TIA!
Sven

I'm a haXe target!

Re: [EVANGELISM CALL] Demo material for evangelism talk on 11/16

Benjamin Dasnois
Hi Svens,

unfortunately I don't have any idea right now. But I have two questions: what is the language of your presentation? Will it be recorded and made publicly available?

Regards,

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 11:48 PM, Sven Dens <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

DASNOIS Benjamin
http://www.benjamindasnois.com

Re: [EVANGELISM CALL] Demo material for evangelism talk on 11/16

I will be presenting at FITC Screens on November 14th. I am working on
sample NME game I will demonstrate as a part of my presentation, so that
might help with the "multi-platform haxe games" bullet point

On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 15:48:09 -0700, Sven Dens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear haXe fellas,
>
> I'll be doing a haXe evangelism talk on November 16th in Antwerp, Belgium
> for the local Adobe User Group.
> Besides from the fact that it is fun to be naughty to talk about a
> "competing platform" at an official Adobe event, I really want to grab
> this
> opportunity to show off what haXe is capable of to this particular crowd.
>
> Of course I'm not asking you to write my presentation for me, but if you
> have some nice code or cases that you will allow me to present, I'd be
> very
> grateful! If you have some material for me that I'm allowed to use, and
> that shows off some of the powers haXe has to offer, it would be really
> awesome if you'd ping me on that!
> Up until now my preso contains a sexy intro to capture the crowd's
> interest, a short overview of the language and it's history, some simple
> code demos to illustrate compiler targets and a simple game that compiles
> to SWF, AIR, iOS and Android to make that previous point more concrete.
>
> I'm looking in particular for cases that illustrate:
> *haXe to Java
> *haXe to JS
> *haXe to PHP
> *multi-platform haXe games
>
> Please help me demonstrate what haXe can do!
> Whatever you send me that I'll use will of course wear you credits and
> I'll
> send you a copy of the preso before I present it so you can confirm your
> consent to using your material.
>
> The intro by the way is a Flash-movie with some graphics to accompany a
> reworked version of "Can't touch this" by MC Hammer with these lyrics:
> "my my my my previous codebase, so large
> makes me say, Oh my Lord
> thank you, for blessing me
> with this great thing called H-A-X-E
>
> see how I'm coding, it's cool
> compile to any target makes developers drool
> I'm here to teach you, that's fine
> enough for now STOP! coding time"
>
> :-)
>
> TIA!
> Sven

Re: [EVANGELISM CALL] Demo material for evangelism talk on 11/16

davidedc

> I'm looking in particular for cases that illustrate:
> *haXe to Java
> *haXe to JS
> *haXe to PHP
> *multi-platform haXe games

How about Processing to haXe, would that be of interest?

Re: [EVANGELISM CALL] Demo material for evangelism talk on 11/16

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
LOL - are you going to be singing ?

Haxe -> PHP: Well I've got HEAPS of stuff that I do with Poko, and it makes my (work) life so much happier compared to having to use PHP. The problem is in showing HOW it makes it easier, as it's all server-side stuff. Ideas?

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 4:12 PM, Davide Della Casa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm looking in particular for cases that illustrate:
> *haXe to Java
> *haXe to JS
> *haXe to PHP
> *multi-platform haXe games

How about Processing to haXe, would that be of interest?

Re: [EVANGELISM CALL] Demo material for evangelism talk on 11/16

Justin Donaldson-3

"my my my my previous codebase, so large
makes me say, Oh my Lord
thank you, for blessing me
with this great thing called H-A-X-E

see how I'm coding, it's cool
compile to any target makes developers drool
I'm here to teach you, that's fine
enough for now STOP! coding time"

Ha ha, you're going to sing this?

I hope it turns out better than this:
http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/12634008/haxe?page=1

-Justin

Re: [EVANGELISM CALL] Demo material for evangelism talk on 11/16

Michael Cann
I did a haxe presentation a few week ago:

During the talk I demoed the Game of Life written using TTD with NME for multi-platforms:

 Goodluck!

On 3 November 2011 01:39, Justin Donaldson <[hidden email]> wrote:

"my my my my previous codebase, so large
makes me say, Oh my Lord
thank you, for blessing me
with this great thing called H-A-X-E

see how I'm coding, it's cool
compile to any target makes developers drool
I'm here to teach you, that's fine
enough for now STOP! coding time"

Ha ha, you're going to sing this?

I hope it turns out better than this:
http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/12634008/haxe?page=1

-Justin

Mike Cann
http://www.mikecann.co.uk/

Re: [EVANGELISM CALL] Demo material for evangelism talk on 11/16

sventunus
@Michael: Great, thanks man!
@Joshua: If you're willing to share I'd be happy to use it Joshua!
@Justin: lol, I hope so too ;-)
@Tarwin: lol, kinda, yes ;-) I'm heading over to a friend of mine who is a music producer next week to sing in the alternative lyrics. And he's gonna be doing some of his magick to make it sound more or less ok I hope ;-)
I won't have the time to discuss frameworks I'm afraid. Only got 20 minutes, so I need to use them wisely. I'd like to demo quick website prototyping in JS & PHP, so it can be run clientside or serverside.
@Davide: Sure it would Davide. Might convince some people already familiar with Processing to give haXe a try too.
@Benjamin: The presentation will be in English. I don't know if it will be recorded, will ask the Adobe guys about that.

Sven

I'm a haXe target!

Re: [EVANGELISM CALL] Demo material for evangelism talk on 11/16

davidedc
Yes that would be lovely, why not both? One example of Haxe as a target language adds to the variety, no?

I'll send you some slides Sven.

Plus this work is related to previous work into a Processing interpreter in Actionscript and haXe called processing.as and crossprocessing respectively, both by Tim Cameron Ryan - showing some interpreters done in haXe could be interesting too.

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer <[hidden email]> wrote:
If you're going to do Processing it might be better to do an OpenFrameworks example.

Re: [EVANGELISM CALL] Demo material for evangelism talk on 11/16

sventunus
Good suggestion Tarwin. Will show an hxOpenFrameworks example in the demo. Nice use case to demo CPP/HTML5 Canvas/SWF from 1 codebase.

I'll look in to the Processing example (processing.as) you mentioned here Davide. I've never really used Processing myself, just did a couple of "tree of life" things with it a year or 4 ago to experience it, but never really got a professional use case or personal time & interest for it to really explore it further.

Just got back from the recording studio to do the MC Hammer-thing by the way :-) Had tremendous fun and am curious to hear what my friend is going to make of my singing ;-) MC 'aXie est arrivé, le nouveau son des créatures digitales :-))

In the mean time: if you have stuff for me that I may use to demo haXe, please keep sending it in!
Thanks!

Sven