Control haXe/Flash from haXe/JS

therandthem
I want to control some actions in a Flash movie created in haXe/Flash. I want to control the Flash from the HTML/JavaScript content on the page. Assuming I will use haXe/JS to create the controls, how can I make things happen in Flash? Is this what is called remoting? I don't have server-side code that I can use to handle any remote communication, just a plain web server. Can I still use haXe to commnicate between Flash and JS?

Thanks,

McKinley

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Control haXe/Flash from haXe/JS

clemos
Hi McKinley

Yes, what you want to do is called Flash/Javascript Remoting. You can
find a full example here :
http://haxe.org/doc/remoting/flash_js

++++++++
Clément

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 2:31 PM, therandthem <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I want to control some actions in a Flash movie created in haXe/Flash. I want to control the Flash from the HTML/JavaScript content on the page. Assuming I will use haXe/JS to create the controls, how can I make things happen in Flash? Is this what is called remoting? I don't have server-side code that I can use to handle any remote communication, just a plain web server. Can I still use haXe to commnicate between Flash and JS?
>
> Thanks,
>
> McKinley

> http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Control haXe/Flash from haXe/JS

therandthem
In that tutorial the statement is made, "this example will only work with Flash Player 8 or more". Is remoting only supported by Flash Player 8 or higher or was it some other part of the example that is only supported in 8?

Thanks,

McKinley

> Yes, what you want to do is called Flash/Javascript Remoting. You can
> find a full example here :
> http://haxe.org/doc/remoting/flash_js
>
> ++++++++
> Clément
>
> On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 2:31 PM, therandthem wrote:
> > I want to control some actions in a Flash movie created in haXe/Flash.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Control haXe/Flash from haXe/JS

therandthem
OK, I see that according to http://haxe.org/doc/remoting/0_introduction only Flash 8 supports ExternalConnection.jsConnect.  In that case, I will have to drop plans to deploy this as Flash 6. Are there any plans to support ExternalConnection.jsConnect on Flash versions that are older than Flash 8?

Thanks,

McKinley

> In that tutorial the statement is made, "this example will only work with Flash
> Player 8 or more". Is remoting only supported by Flash Player 8 or higher or was
> it some other part of the example that is only supported in 8?
>
> Thanks,
>
> McKinley

I also remember awhile later gsb exploring the issue with swish, after googling I found this

if you look under the swishMax code you will notice half way down the page export options are flash6.

So yes you can control flash from javascript using flash 6 but if you want two way communication then you have to manage sync ing the code and coping with browser differences, flash 8 will likely be easier.

Hope that helps.

;j

On 20 Oct 2008, at 14:21, Justin Lawerance Mills wrote:

As i remember it was Craftymind's work that lead to ExternalInterface in flash, I managed to find an old link might be possible to implement in flash6 but you may have cross browser issues. Here is a link to his old blog entry...

Cheers

;j

On 20 Oct 2008, at 14:11, therandthem wrote:

OK, I see that according to http://haxe.org/doc/remoting/0_introduction only Flash 8 supports ExternalConnection.jsConnect.  In that case, I will have to drop plans to deploy this as Flash 6. Are there any plans to support ExternalConnection.jsConnect on Flash versions that are older than Flash 8?

Thanks,

McKinley

Re: Control haXe/Flash from haXe/JS

Kevin Newman

I built an JS<->AS library a long while back
(http://code.google.com/p/unfocus-history-keeper/source/browse/#svn/tags/Release_2.0b2/javascript
) but I haven't touched that in quite a while.

Part of the problem has always been a crashy Flash Player (some versions
of 6 will crash the browser - almost everything crashes various versions
of Opera, etc.).

Anyway, you could conceivably use some of that to do the communication
you want in older versions of Flash.

Thanks,

Kevin N.